Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,809 members, 7,915,294 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 08:27 PM

My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. (1972 Views)

My 30-year-old Son Uses Diapers, Crawls After #endsars Shootings - Lagos Widow / My 6years Old Son Escape Death In A Ghastly Accident/faithful God. / My 3-Year-Old Son Doesn't Fart, Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Godfullsam(m): 5:39pm On Apr 05, 2020
Good day nairalanders. I have a son who is 1 year and 8 months old.

He is very smart and intelligent. As in, he understands what ever you tell him.

He knows where to pick his potty when ever he want to poo, he goes to rest room to wee on his own and he gets along with other children. At time it amazes me how he easily understand stuff.

The only challenge I have with him is that he is not saying actual words yet.

If he want to report his elder sister, he will just walk up to me, tap me and start pointing at his sister.
Instead of talking, you will see him blabbing. That is all he does whenever he wants to express himself.
I am worried because his elder sister started pronouncing words at around 15 months.

I planned taking him to see a doctor but someone said I should be patient with him. That most kids grow at their own Pace.

The only thing he can pronounce for now are mama, mmmm, baaah, tatah and stuff like that...

Plus he plays alot, don't know if that could be the reason why he is not talking yet.

Pls I need advise on what to do.
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Cuntface: 5:41pm On Apr 05, 2020
He will still talk, in Jesus name Amen.

6 Likes

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by osato45: 5:42pm On Apr 05, 2020
If he can say mama then soonest he would start talking, worry not, i was told i uttered my first word at 3.

5 Likes

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by dawnomike(m): 5:44pm On Apr 05, 2020
It is obvious your son is neither deaf nor dumb... So, come to think of it; why rush him to speak?
My daughter of 1Year 10months is just starting to speak little words at her age.
There's no need to rush a child in life

1 Like

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 05, 2020
Godfullsam:

He knows where to pick his potty when ever he want to poo, he goes to rest room to wee on his own and he gets along with other children. At time it amazes me how he easily understand stuff.

If he want to report his elder sister, he will just walk up to me, tap me and start pointing at his sister.
Instead of talking, you will see him blabbing. That is all he does whenever he wants to express himself.
I am worried because his elder sister started pronouncing words at around 15 months.

I planned taking him to see a doctor but someone said I should be patient with him. That most kids grow at their own Pace.

The only thing he can pronounce for now are mama, mmmm, baaah, tatah and stuff like that...

Plus he plays alot, don't know if that could be the reason why he is not talking yet.

What do you mean? Can't talk. Never. He must talk. Call the baby healer on 0-8-0-6 5-0-5-7-2-0-5
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by SenorFax(m): 5:51pm On Apr 05, 2020
No problem whatsoever,

I've seen babies than can't talk until dey are 4.

The problem these days is parents wants their children to grow up faster. Why the rush?? Why this?

2 Likes

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by yemifm(m): 5:52pm On Apr 05, 2020
Your concerns above shows nothing is wrong with that child. I think you should rather pray about it and not seek any help to avoid error. Every child grows at their own pace. Those we thought cannot walk got up suddenly without crawling on knees and now they can run anyhow....

Be patient.

2 Likes

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Ninethmare: 5:54pm On Apr 05, 2020
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by economia1: 6:22pm On Apr 05, 2020
You are not wrong by being concerned, it is your sole duty and I am happy you are doing it.

Open his or her mouth to inspect if he or she can lift up his or her tongue.

Play whit him or her by waggling your own tongue for him or her to see.

If you can twist your own tongue for her or him to see, he or she will like to do the same.

Tell me if he or she can lift up his tongue that the tips of his tongue can torch the roof of his mouth

1 Like

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Oyiboman69: 6:24pm On Apr 05, 2020
This is worrisome
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by missjekyll: 11:32pm On Apr 05, 2020
Oyiboman69:
This is worrisome
Certainly not. Poster your son is absolutely fine. but you can take him to your pediatrician if you are worried.
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Sweetchilli(f): 4:32am On Apr 06, 2020
He sounds fine. Children grow at their own pace. I think socializing helps too.
My son started preschool at 16 months and he now makes full sentences at 22 months. You should also download nursery rhymes on your phone for him. He would start singing along with time. Don't rush him please.

1 Like

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Godfullsam(m): 1:32pm On Apr 06, 2020
osato45:
If he can say mama then soonest he would start talking, worry not, i was told i uttered my first word at 3.

Woah!
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

1 Like

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Godfullsam(m): 1:42pm On Apr 06, 2020
economia1:
You are not wrong by being concerned, it is your sole duty and I am happy you are doing it.

Open his or her mouth to inspect if he or she can lift up his or her tongue.

Play whit him or her by waggling your own tongue for him or her to see.

If you can twist your own tongue for her or him to see, he or she will like to do the same.

Tell me if he or she can lift up his tongue that the tips of his tongue can torch the roof of his mouth

Thanks alot.

I tried it this morning . I told him to open his mouth. He opened his mouth and brought out his tongue but he didn't lift his tongue . I guess he doesn't understand the logic of lifting tongue yet.

I had to lift my own tongue to the roof of my mouth so that he can understand what I mean but he yet to get it.

He only brings out his tongue to cover his lower teeth.
I guess you are suspecting 'tongue tie', but I don't think he has it.
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by economia1: 1:58pm On Apr 06, 2020
Godfullsam:

Thanks alot.

I tried it this morning . I told him to open his mouth. He opened his mouth and brought out his tongue but he didn't lift his tongue . I guess he doesn't understand the logic of lifting tongue yet.

I had to lift my own tongue to the roof of my mouth so that he can understand what I mean but he yet to get it.

He only brings out his tongue to cover his lower teeth.
I guess you are suspecting 'tongue tie', but I don't think he has it.
Dont just think he does not have it, make sure you take him up for inspection on that. If it is, seek an experienced nurse intervention because it is getting late, if not too late. Do not cut it yourself for that can cause bleed to death. Act fast and get medical expert to handle it. Act like a father. I am not giving you an expert advice. Please seek expert intervention. Do not count any gain or loss to my advice.
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Godfullsam(m): 2:54pm On Apr 06, 2020
economia1:

Dont just think he does not have it, make sure you take him up for inspection on that. If it is, seek an experienced nurse intervention because it is getting late, if not too late. Do not cut it yourself for that can cause bleed to death. Act fast and get medical expert to handle it. Act like a father. I am not giving you an expert advice. Please seek expert intervention. Do not count any gain or loss to my advice.

Thanks so much.

I will take him to the hospital for inspection as soon as this lockdown is over.
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by shariff84: 4:39pm On Apr 06, 2020
My son reach 4 years before he can talk properly.
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by tinuadebayo: 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2020
Hello @Godfullsam,
Do not assume any methodology right here.
visit a good teaching Hospital with a standard ENT Department/clinic for test evaluation.
this is from experience.
I will be glad to help if I know your location or state to recommend one for you.
Please, handle with caution and urgency.
Hope to hear from you soon.

1 Like

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by rilikalid(m): 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2020
nothing is wrong with your child. mine is 18 months too and the only words he can accurately pronounced are "daddy" and "water" if he is thirsty. Yet he is healthy and cheerful in every aspects. At that age, an average child is not expected to pronounced more than that.

1 Like

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Godfullsam(m): 7:34pm On Apr 06, 2020
tinuadebayo:
Hello @Godfullsam,
Do not assume any methodology right here.
visit a good teaching Hospital with a standard ENT Department/clinic for test evaluation.
this is from experience.
I will be glad to help if I know your location or state to recommend one for you.
Please, handle with caution and urgency.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.
I stay in abuja
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Mightyhaiz: 8:42pm On Apr 06, 2020
Boys generally don't talk early.. I know a boy that was still babbling at 2 plus..I nicknamed him alamiesegha cos of his looks and alamiesegha was actually trending then. He is a big handsome intelligent 11 year old now.. But u still can have him checked by experts to keep your mind at rest

2 Likes

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by tinuadebayo: 11:36am On Apr 07, 2020
Godfullsam:

Thank you.
I stay in abuja

You are always welcome Sir
I would suggest you visit National Hospital Abuja or State House hospital or Maitama Clinic
Though, I don't know if your base is not completely shut down.
Please stay safe and healthy.
God will definitely guide you through.
I will be glad to assist anytime.
Warm hug to your boy and the family.

10CENT
Selah.

1 Like

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Gabapentin: 6:53am On Jun 11, 2020
[s]
Godfullsam:

[/s]

your son is unfortunately slow because of you

when you keep being tribalistic and hateful and intolerant, what do you expect?

it is in your genes, like your ancestors and your progeny and your generations

we hope he recovers though, unlike you

for you to have reached adulthood and still be a bigoted person is a waste of school fees
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by sweetose(f): 9:50am On Jun 11, 2020
We are on the same boat oo,mine will be 2yrs next month,initially i was scared until i heard her sing "rainbow ruby and baby shark" about a month ago since then i have let her be when she is ready will talk.
Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by Godfullsam(m): 12:36pm On Jun 11, 2020
Gabapentin:

your son is unfortunately slow because of you

when you keep being tribalistic and hateful and intolerant, what do you expect?

it is in your genes, like your ancestors and your progeny and your generations

we hope he recovers though, unlike you

for you to have reached adulthood and still be a bigoted person is a waste of school fees

Waoh!
You are so pained that you have to go this far?!

Shame on you Mr Man.
I don't have any word if consolation for your pathetic life.
Take a cab and drive your pathetic life to the nearest lagoon. Don't just transfer your aggression on innocent people around you because the consequences will pained you even more.

You can check the date I made that post. Boy is already balling and talking...

You can hug the nearest transformer if that will suit your miserable life.

Your forefathers sown the seed of bitterness and hatred into you already doomed lineage. They made you believe that yorubas are the reason why you are so backward.

Blame your pathetic and hate-filled life on your myopoic parent and stop wasting your time on social media.

Ewu!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 20 Months Old Son Is Not Talking Yet. by TigerLyrics: 3:26am On Aug 28, 2020
Every child grow at their own pace. Try to introduce some good nursery rhymes to him. Rhymes are a valuable way to introduce the sounds of a language and practice speaking in a fun and motivational way.
Not only are nursery rhymes a pleasure to hear and to share, they provide a building block toward literacy. By playing with the short texts of rhymes, children explore the mechanics of the language. A rhyme, for young children, is a complete, short experience, which fits well with their limited attention span. It is like a compact story: it has a beginning and an end, and its own content. Once children have worked out these sequences, they feel confident, as they know that the language content is fixed, even if the speed of reciting might alter to match a mood. Here are some links...
Rhymeslyrics.com
Rhymes for kids
Poems for kids
Stories for kids

or you can see them or YouTube in a more interactive way.

(1) (Reply)

Let Us Analyze The Demands Of Nma.....part 2 / Men And Women Who Wears The Dirtiest Underwear. / Hot Or Cold Bath? The Benefits Of Both Kinds Of Showers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.