Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,303 members, 7,881,125 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:02 PM

Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy (7728 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo Lands In Maiduguri For A 2-day Working Visit.. See Photos / My Fears For Buhari’s Change Agenda - Olusegun Obasanjo / Jonathan's Legacy Is The Headline In Tanzanian Newspapers (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by tonte(m): 7:06pm On Jun 25, 2007
@ denex

Mandela was a true democrat and a christian he forgave all those whites but OBJ is the DEVIL himself, imagine ordering a massacre in odi bayelsa all those who jailed obj are now in jail or in tite corners pls do not compare an angel with da devil
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by fromuk(m): 7:13pm On Jun 25, 2007
They don't have comparism at all. This is just like comparing nigerian election british election in terms of transparency. That Guy OBJ is an epitome of wickedness, Till tomorrow DELA is respected all over the world and will still be after death.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 9:00pm On Jun 26, 2007
@Fromuk

I think you meant FELA. Fela is a good example of a strong legacy, musical legacy I mean. I met an American who thinks of Fela as the only genuine African-- that was in college.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by angel101(f): 9:13pm On Jun 26, 2007
naijaking1:

@Fromuk

I think you meant FELA. Fela is a good example of a strong legacy, musical legacy I mean. I met an American who thinks of Fela as the only genuine African-- that was in college.

he meant man[b]dela[/b]!
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by angel101(f): 9:25pm On Jun 26, 2007
denex:

@spaceworld

I don't get what you're saying about the whole crediting phone thing.

By the way, in America, mobile phones are still for the well to do.

If we are to believe this, it is obviously beacuse their land lines cost next to nothing.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 4:29pm On Jun 27, 2007
@angel101

Thanks for the correction.

Mandela too was great, he made all black people, not just Africans proud.

He learnt a lot in prison.

His post-incarceration days were also marked by very noble ideas of forgiveness, unity-truely, and equity. He did not even ask for a 3rd term.

The history of south Africa is not complete without a positive mention of Mandela, the question in Nigeria is how will OBJ be mentioned in the future.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 11:38pm On Jun 29, 2007
A lot of people are already writting books about the success or failure of George W. Bush, I'm also sure that someone has written something about Tony Blair.

Does anybody know of someone writting anything about OBJ, I mean- positively or even negatively, or better still, neutrally objective?
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by humantoy(m): 11:48pm On Jun 29, 2007
A legacy of brigandage and accute lawlessness cry
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 12:03am On Jun 30, 2007
The recent changes in PDP point to a very worrying fact about OBJ's tendencies towards dictatorship.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by folanusi(m): 10:37am On Jul 06, 2007
@denex
Folanusi and Whiteroses, so na Obasanjo legacy una wan use start una relationship. Remember that you people have already said nothing that starts with Obasanjo ends beautifully.

grin grin grin
omo u dey craze oh grin grin grin
u funny die!!!!

so you dey try tell us say Aremu obasanjo na Bad Luck?
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by otokx(m): 12:33pm On Jul 06, 2007
militants and kidnappers. God saves us.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 4:10pm On Jul 06, 2007
yea this kidnapping business is really soiling naija image and OBJ's legacy.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 4:18am On Jul 10, 2007
what about the 300 million naira bridge to no-where OBJ commissioned with so much pump and pagentry with Nnamani that just collapsed?
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by debosky(m): 4:23am On Jul 10, 2007
that is Nnamani's legacy, Obj was merely invited for the commissioning ceremony. Do you expect him to supervise and know the details of each and every project in the country, especially those carried out by a state govt?
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2007
@bebosky

of course Nnamani was the governor and directly responsible for the bridge, but if you know the politics of Enugu state over the past 8 years, will appreciate why Nnamani's campaign was "like father like son"

OBJ was his father in just about everything, it's too late to dissociate now.

Fact: OBJ messed up Enugu using his "son" Chimaroke Nnamani as the tool.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by debosky(m): 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2007
the only 'fact' there is, is that Nnamani was voted as governor of Enugu state, whatever failed projects relating to Enugu state funds are wholly under the purview of their governor.

Obj 'messed up' Enugu? that is pure escapism,its like saying Obj beautified Cross River through his 'son' Duke. Let the person in charge take the blame. all these attempts to blame even the smallest infraction over the past 8 years on Obj is laughable, it shows our level of political development and true understanding of the system of government we are running.

even the garbage on your street is Obj's fault, when the LG chairman living down the road spends your money on owambe instead of clearing refuse.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 9:46pm On Jul 12, 2007
@bebosky,

Ironically, OBJ was also at Tinapa to dedicate or take credit for the shopping mall his "son" built. He definitely gets credit for thing gone right, why not also loose credit for things gone wrong, aka Nnamani.

Everybody knows how much OBJ backed Nnamani against other people who knew or suspected that his administration was evil. OBJ helped Nnamani crush them all. I mean sen. Okoro, Dubem Onyia, Nwobodo, Nwodo, and even Ken Nnamani of late.

If you aided, abated, and protected an evil man for 8 years, I don't think you should suddenly dissociate yourself of all wrong doings, and it's not a good legacy.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 1:43am On Aug 03, 2007
2 months into Yaradua's rule, OBJ's tenure is suddenly looking more pretty in some aspects.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 3:26am On Aug 25, 2007
Today, with uncertainty about the CBN re-denomination policy in doubt, the CBN governor removed from President Yardua's economic team, I have the feeling that OBJ will soon begin to look like a hero, at least economically for now.

I can see naija going back into debt, free market compromised, and economic gains of the past 8 years wasted on mediocrity.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by debosky(m): 3:44am On Aug 25, 2007
All that simply because a policy was suspended and some waivers cut off?

talk about premature judgment, knee jerk reaction and hero worship all lumped into one

If Soludo failed to brief the president before his actions, he made a big mistake, as a government official albeit of an independent body like the CBN, you need to carry the government itself along, they are the ones who will bear the brunt of the success or failure of any program. It seems that is the root of this current problem to me - a failure to garner support from within the government. If the policy fails, the buck stops at Umaru's table so he has every right to get it scrutinized properly before implementation.

Secondly, Soludo is not the sole person responsible for our exit from debt, in actual fact he played a peripheral role in that, so what is this hue and cry over a few simple changes? This same people would complain if Yar'adua carried on with all of Obj's people by calling him a stooge. Even in the economic team, other CBN heads are involved who report to Soludo, so his ideas can still filter in through that route.

It is unclear as of now whether Yar'adua will be better than Obj or not, the truth is - we need to give it time. Soludo is by no means the only source of economic wisdom, if the president decides he should go and replaces him with someone else who is competent, that is his prerogative. To believe that without him or the total implementation of whatever he says will result in economic ruin is simply alarmist and not based on any rational information
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 3:55am On Aug 25, 2007
@debosky

I hope my 'feelings' turn out wrong.

I just don't think it's wise to exclude any nation's CBN governor from the economic team.

It doesn't have to be Soludo personally, but the nation's chief banker ought to be in the economic team, unless there is another reason Yardua has not given.

Speaking about carrying everybody along, the CBN spokeperson- Mr. Odoko stated that Mr. President was duely informed of this re-denomination thing.

So, if he was informed, and consented, and latter changes his mind, because there is 'no written authorization', then it speaks volume about Mr. President's judgement.

OBJ would stick to his gun- at least sometimes
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by debosky(m): 4:13am On Aug 25, 2007
The president was duly informed?

I really doubt that, it was only reported that he briefed the FEC on the issue last week, necessitating the meeting between him and the Finance Minister to sort out the grey areas, that doesn't sound like a case where there was prior briefing, at least not in detail. Monetary policy is not something you just decide on like that, I'm sure the president just wants to understand the full implications of the action before proceeding.

This is really not a matter of changing or not changing your mind - Obj stuck to his guns almost throughout and made stupid blunders because of an inflexibile nature that refuses to consider that he may be wrong.

sticking to your guns just for the sake of that is pointless, the nation is far more important than one man's ego, be it Obj, Yar'adua or Soludo himself.

this whole 'economic team' issue is being blown out of proportions, I dont recall Joseph Sanusi the former CBN head being a member of this team then, and I don't see why he must personally be there he still has access to the president if he needs to air his views, so it is really a non-issue for me.

folks just see it as a rebuff/snob on Soludo so I would wait and see what the exact functions of this 'team' will be before complaining about Soludo's non membership.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 3:44pm On Aug 28, 2007
@debosky
good point sir.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 1:25pm On Sep 03, 2007
http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/cover/september07/03092007/f603092007.html

Very interesting: OBJ thinks he belongs to the category of Winston Churchill and co.

Maybe he does, maybe not.

I can't wait to see what history says about him in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by debosky(m): 3:53am On Sep 04, 2007
Obj should just shut up, his constant need to be relevant or to say something is very childish, if he's truly as good as he said he was in power, we'll see it soon enough, it is not for a man to compare himself to other great leaders, people who observe those similarities (not sycophants) will say so at the appropriate time.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 1:05pm On Sep 04, 2007
One impossibility: OBJ can't write his own history.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 2:11pm On Sep 15, 2007
Richard Akinjide's assessment of his friend OBJ is quite significant. It tells a lot. Please read on:

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/sept/15/national-15-09-2007-001.htm
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by bodsibobo(m): 9:00pm On Nov 16, 2009
I'll remember ( and I already do so everytime I pass through) him as the yoruba leader who ruled Nigeria for eight years and never fixed the most important stretch of road in yoruba land THE LAGOS IBADAN EXPRESS WAY
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 9:03pm On Nov 16, 2009
I'm sure other people will remember him for other things: good or bad.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by redsun(m): 9:08pm On Nov 16, 2009
It is quite chilling to know that people like obasanjo still walk,talk and live freely in nigeria,it goes to show that nigeria is actually a failed state,hence criminals can't be broght to book.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by naijaking1: 9:47pm On Nov 16, 2009
OBJ, Abubakar, IBB, Buhari----- they're all walking around and even positioning themselves to come back to power.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo's Legacy by chidichris(m): 9:48am On Nov 17, 2009
obasanjo will be remembered mostly for his DO OR DIE elections.
govt of legalised thugry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why You Should Not Yet Rejoice About 2017 Budget? / APGA Members Scamper For Food And #1000 For Attending Flag-off (pics) / Ogun IGR Is More Than The Whole South East States Combined - Deji Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.