Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,267 members, 7,932,154 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 07:38 PM

Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo (1717 Views)

APC Activist Omojuwa Criticises Buhari Government. / OPC Council Disowns Gani Adams, For Betraying Yoruba Nation / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by smile4kenn(m): 6:33am On Jun 06, 2007
I wonder what the ibos have done to nigeria and i thank God that other tribes are begining to realize. Out of 13 past IGs of police, none is from ibo. What has the ibo tribe done.

Read the words of Gani,

Human Rights activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), has described what he called “deliberate exclusion of Igbo” from assuming the office of the Inspector-General of Police in Nigeria as a bad development.

Fawehinmi who made this criticism in a statement made available to our correspondents on Tuesday, said every part of Nigeria must have a sense of belonging and that non-appointment of an officer of Igbo stock from the South-East as the IG was a negation of fair play and justice.

He noted with dismay that while Nigeria has produced a total number of 13 Inspectors-General of Police in its 47 years of independence, none of them was an Igbo man.

This development, according to Fawehinmi was at variance with Section 14 (3) of the 1999 Constitution, which urges Nigeria to promote the virtues of equality and justice in running the governmental affairs.

The section provides that “The composition of the government of the Federation or any of its agencies and the conduct of its affairs shall be carried out in such manner as to reflect the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote national unity, and also to command national loyalty.

Fawehinmi added that both 1979 and 1999 Constitutions which the country had used for about 28 years, enjoined the nation to make appointment based on equity, fair play and justice and that non-appointment of an Igbo as the IG had made a mockery of the constitution.

Part of the statement reads: “I consider the exclusion of Igbos from the leadership of the Police as unfair, unjust and unconstitutional.

“Since 1979, the fundamental law of the nation has never supported the deliberate exclusion of the Igbos from the leadership of the Nigeria Police Force because the police is an integral part of the federation.

“I have ruminated over what one could attribute to this exclusion and I have found nothing justifying it. Can it be said that no Igbo amongst many qualified ones at the upper echelon of the Nigeria police merits an appointment as the IG? the answer is No!”

“The next person to Sunday Ehindero who retired on Friday, June 1, 2007 is Ogbonna Onovo, who is an Igbo from Enugu State.

“He is a Deputy Inspector-General of Police. If he was qualified to be a DIG, why should he not be qualified to be an Inspector-General of Police? I demand an explanation from Umaru Yar’Adua’s administration.”
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by Biafralord(m): 6:50am On Jun 07, 2007
Petty on Nigeria!!! Egbema LG in Rivers State is part of the Egbemma sub-group of the Igbo nation which was partially carved out of Igboland during the biafra war and given to Rivers State in order to deplete Igboland of oil. Politics!!!!! Okiro is a typical Igboman OK!!!!! kai!!! The so called igbo haters think there're no igbos in the south-south. We have a very significant population in the south-south even if you exclude the ikwerres. igbo haters, when you appoint south-southerners, do a little research to make sure they're not Igbos cheesy

Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by Akolawole(m): 1:35pm On Jun 07, 2007
@BiafraLord

Okiro is a typical Igbo abi?

Thank God for that.

@Topic

There must be a federal structure at all cost.

Why is Yoruba never produce electoral chairman?

Why is Yoruba hardly produce information Minister?

But i think Perfomance matters more than anything.

As long as the loyalty to the federal government is paramount i dont mind anybody from anywhere to hold any post.

If OBJ followed federal structure, Dora Akinyuli will never be NAFDAC boss and that would have been a wasted talent.

According to Mrs Akinyuli " Everyone criticize OBJ on her appointment claimming we cannot have Igbo as Health minister and Igbo as NAFDAC boss. The hard-head of OBJ gave her the job in place of federal might"
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by cfours: 5:16am On Jan 15, 2013
smile4kenn: I wonder what the ibos have done to nigeria and i thank God that other tribes are begining to realize. Out of 13 past IGs of police, none is from ibo. What has the ibo tribe done.

LEADERSHIP IS NOT GIVEN TO YOU. IT IS TAKEN!! you might as well be a PUPPET if someone else is giving you the position.
there are many people competing for the same jobs and positions. if you siddon there dey wait for Santa Claus "Nigeria" to give you post, then you are a fool forever.
if you don't see yourself as part of Nigeria, then sorry, you don't deserve any leadership roles in it!
truth hurts.
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by cfours: 5:33am On Jan 15, 2013
Biafralord: Petty on Nigeria!!! Egbema LG in Rivers State is part of the Egbemma sub-group of the Igbo nation which was partially carved out of Igboland during the biafra war and given to Rivers State in order to deplete Igboland of oil. Politics!!!!! Okiro is a typical Igboman OK!!!!! kai!!! The so called igbo haters think there're no igbos in the south-south. We have a very significant population in the south-south even if you exclude the ikwerres. igbo haters, when you appoint south-southerners, do a little research to make sure they're not Igbos cheesy

the joke is on you. "Nigeria" is not wasting any breath on you except in your paranoid imaginations.
as far as i'm concerned, most tribes in Nigeria can't even tell a calabar man from an ibo man or a south south man.
Jonathan Goodluck might as well be ibo. we don't know and can't tell the difference. and who cares anyway! as long as a NIGERIAN is in the position.

you win the award hands down for "most paranoid" tribe sha.
how do you folks sleep at night.
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
Amazing how double-speaking "most tribes in Nigeria" are with respect to the South South.

c.fours:

the joke is on you. "Nigeria" is not wasting any breath on you except in your paranoid imaginations.
as far as i'm concerned, most tribes in Nigeria can't even tell a calabar man from an ibo man or a south south man.
Jonathan Goodluck might as well be ibo. we don't know and can't tell the difference. and who cares anyway! as long as a NIGERIAN is in the position.

you win the award hands down for "most paranoid" tribe sha.
how do you folks sleep at night.
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by redsun(m): 2:38pm On Jan 15, 2013
The delta state police comissioner is an igbo man,ikechukwu aduba,and he has literally turn the delta state police command headquater to a den,ursurpers and kidnappers.

Not that any police is good in nigeria,but some are relatively sane.He is somebody that could become an IG tomorrow as an igbo man in the name of federal character,yet he is a criminal that oppresses his own people.

Nigeria is a failed lawless state.
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by executinal(m): 3:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
Ok Gani
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
Akolawole: @BiafraLord

Okiro is a typical Igbo abi?

Thank God for that.

@Topic

There must be a federal structure at all cost.

Why is Yoruba never produce electoral chairman?

Why is Yoruba hardly produce information Minister?

But i think Perfomance matters more than anything.

As long as the loyalty to the federal government is paramount i dont mind anybody from anywhere to hold any post.

If OBJ followed federal structure, Dora Akinyuli will never be NAFDAC boss and that would have been a wasted talent.

According to Mrs Akinyuli " Everyone criticize OBJ on her appointment claimming we cannot have Igbo as Health minister and Igbo as NAFDAC boss. The hard-head of OBJ gave her the job in place of federal might"
LMAO...your english is entertaining bro!
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by Nightshift(m): 3:50pm On Jan 15, 2013
What the hell are you folks writing here in 2013? Former IG Onovo handed over to the present IG Abubakar.
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by cfours: 3:26am On Jan 17, 2013
nnenna.1:
Amazing how double-speaking "most tribes in Nigeria" are with respect to the South South.

explain yourself. Of course I can tell an Edo man apart. but calabar, delta etc those aren't so easy to tell. understand?
see there are some claiming Onovo as ibo and others claiming him as south south. if you guys can't decide your tribes for yourselves, how do you expect others to know the difference?

example,
The president's full name is Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan. Last time I checked, Ebele & Azikiwe are ibo names. right? Took me a little while to figure out our president isn't ibo. shocking
Ibos in this thread argue that the president is in fact ibo. LOL
https://www.nairaland.com/103441/goodluck-jonathan-igbo

now you should understand why other tribes get confused. Your problem is identity crisis.

your name sef is ibo.right? so are you ibo or South south? grin
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by NegroNtns(m): 4:00am On Jan 17, 2013
redsun: The delta state police comissioner is an igbo man,ikechukwu aduba,and he has literally turn the delta state police command headquater to a den,ursurpers and kidnappers.

Not that any police is good in nigeria,but some are relatively sane.He is somebody that could become an IG tomorrow as an igbo man in the name of federal character,yet he is a criminal that oppresses his own people.

Nigeria is a failed lawless state.

this is why igbo will not win 2015. we need to contain kidnapping to se, there is no need to nationalize it.
Re: Ig’s Appointment: Gani Criticises Exclusion Of Igbo by NegroNtns(m): 4:07am On Jan 17, 2013
c.fours:

explain yourself. Of course I can tell an Edo man apart. but calabar, delta etc those aren't so easy to tell. understand?
see there are some claiming Onovo as ibo and others claiming him as south south. if you guys can't decide your tribes for yourselves, how do you expect others to know the difference?

example,
The president's full name is Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan. Last time I checked, Ebele & Azikiwe are ibo names. right? Took me a little while to figure out our president isn't ibo. shocking
Ibos in this thread argue that the president is in fact ibo. LOL
https://www.nairaland.com/103441/goodluck-jonathan-igbo

now you should understand why other tribes get confused. Your problem is identity crisis.

your name sef is ibo.right? so are you ibo or South south? grin

i used to take every ikechucku and nnadi as igbo until recently when i discovered that some parts of delta do bear igbo names but dont associate or consider themselves as igbo.

every olawale or ayotunde is a yoruba. in east names dont necessarily fall in with igbo ethnicity.

(1) (Reply)

Oduduwa Hoax! Spotted Brasilan-blacks Are Made Of Igbo,ewe-ghana Etc / N8.2bn Scam: Minister, Others Under Probe / Gboyega Isiaka Is The Man To Beat In Ogun State - Ppn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.