Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,632 members, 7,951,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:48 PM

I Want To Get Married - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Get Married (1527 Views)

Can I Get Married With This Income In Abeokuta, Ogun State? / Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? / If You Had Your Way, At What Age Will You Like To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Get Married by BlueEyes02(f): 10:30pm On Jan 01, 2011
I am dating a Nigerian guy; we've been together 8.5 years.  We both want to marry each other, but we are experiencing some resistance from his side of the family.  His parents do not have anything personal against me, I am just not the ideal match for their (first born) son.  I am white, I am not Nigerian and I'm from a completely different country/culture than they are.

I have met his parents, as well as extended family members.  I send gifts back to them for holidays, birthdays and for no reason at all.  I speak to them on the phone as often as I can and I've hosted them when they came to visit us.

His parents feel that I am too old for him (we're the same age, they want him to marry someone younger than him).  They want him to be with a Nigerian girl, which I completely understand, because I know how important a role being the first son is.

We love each other very much and want to be together.  He speaks to his parents about me, but neither of us want to put any pressure on them to give us their blessing, for fear they will disown him.  We want to allow them time to get used to the idea that I am not going anywhere, but again, it's been 8.5 years. 

My question is what else can I do to earn their approval so that we can be married?  I am trying to be the best (almost) Niger-wife I can be, but it's hard.
Re: I Want To Get Married by cejo(m): 11:14pm On Jan 01, 2011
My honest answer to ur post is dis,pray more 2 God and if he wills dat both of u be 2geda,race/color/natianality etc can't stop it.Bt limit ur giving gifts 2 d family or else dey assume u wanna buy their heart/luv wit ur wealth/generosity.Furthemore relate wit dem honestly dont show dem dat their decision is bothering u cos in God's agenda 4 marriage age is not a barrier talk more of being jus agemates.As long as their is compatibility n luv wit undastanding fear not rely/trust in God for a change in the new year.Wishing u breakthru in dat family.
Re: I Want To Get Married by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 02, 2011
8.5 years, no signs of getting married soon, and you are still in that relationship? undecided Do you really think you can buy their approval with gifts,food,e.t.c?

The truth is this , they want a nigerian,he himself probably wants a nigerian. What on earth are you doing in that relationship?

They dont want you, move on
Re: I Want To Get Married by spyder880(m): 1:17pm On Jan 02, 2011
The cultures dont match, the expectations wont match and there may not be any solution for this. Except you will learn to pound better fufu and cook abacha and amala/ewedu soup.
I know for a fact my parents will resist such marriage, she will readily point to five of my village people that married whites, the whole women dont come back to live here, alienating the grand children from their roots.
Re: I Want To Get Married by Dyt(f): 2:32pm On Jan 02, 2011
Wel u v said it all
all dey want 4 him is dere choice
rili hard 2 move on
bt d truth must b told
get ursef anoda man
Re: I Want To Get Married by Joagbaje(m): 2:51pm On Jan 02, 2011
@Blueeyes02
Are you guys Christians ? If you are Christians  meet your pastor. The church knows what to doin such cases . Besides  your man has to be a man. He should not put you under the pressure of trying to please them for approval. He is a man and he should act like one. They should not dictate his life for him. He marries for himself and not for them. He ought to make his stand clear , and persuade them . If they seem to be unreasonable , the church has power to join two of you without their consent . That is if their stand is unreasonable and unscriptural. But before such stand is taken , the church must have done the best to persuade them. So go through the church.
Re: I Want To Get Married by ifyalways(f): 2:56pm On Jan 02, 2011
BlueEyes02:

I am dating a Nigerian guy; we've been together 8.5 years.  We both want to marry each other, but we are experiencing some resistance from his side of the family.  His parents do not have anything personal against me, I am just not the ideal match for their (first born) son.  I am white, I am not Nigerian and I'm from a completely different country/culture than they are.

I have met his parents, as well as extended family members.  I send gifts back to them for holidays, birthdays and for no reason at all.  I speak to them on the phone as often as I can and I've hosted them when they came to visit us.

His parents feel that I am too old for him (we're the same age, they want him to marry someone younger than him).  They want him to be with a Nigerian girl, which I completely understand, because I know how important a role being the first son is.

We love each other very much and want to be together.  He speaks to his parents about me, but neither of us want to put any pressure on them to give us their blessing, for fear they will disown him.  We want to allow them time to get used to the idea that I am not going anywhere, but again, it's been 8.5 years. 

My question is what else can I do to earn their approval so that we can be married?  I am trying to be the best (almost) Niger-wife I can be, but it's hard. 
8.5 months or years?
Please if its the latter,its time u move on . . .long overdue sef.
If the guy wants to marry you,he shld have done so regardless of what his family syas or thinks,moreover its not even like u are going to be staying with his folks.
If they have refused to accept you for 8.5 years,when do u think they wud bend?when u date their son for  18.5 years?
You can however hang on,if u don't wanna get married or u ok with being his mistress or long term GF.
Re: I Want To Get Married by Ikedonn(m): 7:17am On Jan 03, 2011
@ poster
You can't force the family to accept you and culture pose lots of problems in interracial marriage.
Re: I Want To Get Married by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 03, 2011
///
Re: I Want To Get Married by Blazay(m): 10:47am On Jan 03, 2011
*waka-pass je-je*. . .

No case to judge this year.
Re: I Want To Get Married by mutter(f): 12:40am On Jan 04, 2011
Well maybe we should first know for how long they have been talking of marriage, I mean the fact that they have dated 8 years does not mean that they have been trying to get married that long.
Even if you put pressure on him to marry, he can still turn round and get a wife of his parents choice.
Polygamy is very possible in Nigeria.
Be very sure of what you are doing and don`t waste the best time of your life.
Re: I Want To Get Married by Busta(f): 4:16am On Jan 04, 2011
8.5 yrs later and still no futher commitment? I'd say it's never gonna happen. Time to pick ursef up, dust up and move on!
Re: I Want To Get Married by OAM4J: 5:13am On Jan 04, 2011
jennykadry:

8.5 years, no signs of getting married soon, and you are still in that relationship? undecided Do you really think you can buy their approval with gifts,food,e.t.c?

The truth is this , they want a nigerian,he himself probably wants a nigerian. What on earth are you doing in that relationship?

They dont want you, move on

Jennylove, I know you speak the truth, raw and undiluted. . . abeg try diluting it a little bit this 2011. you harsh small cheesy

OP.

Honestly, I dont know anything else you can do to be accepted since you can't change the reasons for which they are rejecting you. . .

I know it's difficult cos both of you are in love, but you have to move on. Some relationships just cant work or they are not meant to work.
Re: I Want To Get Married by ifyalways(f): 9:21am On Jan 04, 2011
mutter:

Well maybe we should first know for how long they have been talking of marriage, I mean the fact that they have dated 8 years does not mean that they have been trying to get married that long.
Even if you put pressure on him to marry, he can still turn round and get a wife of his parents choice.
Polygamy is very possible in Nigeria.
Be very sure of what you are doing and don`t waste the best time of your life.
Bless you.
The guy wud simply marry In naija while at the same time married/shacking to her in Obodo Oyinbo.
One day,say after 5 yrs,she wud find out abt the naija wife and the rant begins . . .how she dated him for 8.5 yrs,sent gifts/money to the family,bla bla bla.
Somethings hard as it is are simply not meant to be,best thing is to advice urself,embrace the bitter truth . . .who knows,a better man is out there waiting for you.
Re: I Want To Get Married by chika98: 9:43am On Jan 04, 2011
Let's all be positive. It happened for Prince William's bride to be right? I reckon both of em share the same middle name: Patience or Aunty Peshe for short.
Re: I Want To Get Married by alagha: 9:33am On Jan 06, 2011
what about your parents aproval? if yes,pls go ahead and get pregnant because time wait for nobody beside 8.5years is not 8 months, infact both of you are already married, you are just waiting for celebration of it.
Re: I Want To Get Married by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 06, 2011
alagha:

what about your parents aproval? if yes,pls go ahead and get pregnant because time wait for nobody beside 8.5years is not 8 months, infact both of you are already married, you are just waiting for celebration of it.

Are you ok? how are they married and just waiting for celebration? so cos they have dated for 8.5 yrs they r married?

They are just Live-in-fornicators. Simple

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married by alagha: 11:05am On Jan 06, 2011
jennykadry:

Are you ok? how are they married and just waiting for celebration? so cos they have dated for 8.5 yrs they r married?

They are just Live-in-fornicators. Simple
yes sir/madam! reseach has proven that more than 70% of our marriages originated from fornication,therefore since they( both) have understood themselves very too well ,no parent can tell them more about the opposite sex among theirself.
Re: I Want To Get Married by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 06, 2011
^^ If you read through the lines properly, you will see that the man isn't even ready to get married to her cos if he is he would have gotten amrried to her a long time ago without "his parents telling him about the opposite gender"

Let me ask you a question, do you think she can drag him to the altar with pregnancy? seriously? I will not advise her to get pregnant cos that is not a guarantee that he will marry her or be with her, he is going to marry someone else so the poster is going to end up being a single mother who gets paid for child support and has a child constantly nagging her with the usual "who is daddy" or "why didn't daddy marry you mum" line

She had better think with her brain and not her anus and avoid getting pregnant, it will take luck to make another man come marry a woman with a child.
Re: I Want To Get Married by alagha: 11:47am On Jan 06, 2011
going through the lines indicates that the man is ready to marry her but the parental influence on him hindered his decision, however she can not drag him to the altar but she can keep her marriage without any external interference,i.e managing a relationship up to this level of years(practically) with one man automatically make no difference in marriage.
Re: I Want To Get Married by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jan 06, 2011
Lol Believe me when I say that a man that wants to marry a woman will marry her no matter the circumstances surrounding the relationship.

I hope the poster is wise and smart enough to hold on and not get pregnant, cos if the family like you say "hindered or are hindering" his decisions then they are going to keep hindering it and that is going to make the poster end up as a single mum.

No woman in her right mind will wanna intentionally get herself entangled in that workload called single parenting.
Re: I Want To Get Married by alagha: 3:15pm On Jan 06, 2011
lets remove pregnancy out of this, marriage is a life time thing btw adults so why should even our parents come to ply a role within our decision making period for God sake? well ,we know that even the heavenly accepted ones(marriages) do face challenges to be called temptation by us, how much more this one, i suggest they marry with one side parental blissing first. God will handle the other side of the jungle.
Re: I Want To Get Married by nike4luv(f): 7:07pm On Jan 06, 2011
fstrangest,
Please refrain from insulting people on threads, ive had to delete way too much of your posts. I cannot continue to do this, please refer to the forum's rules and regulations for further clarifications.

Thank you smiley
Re: I Want To Get Married by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 06, 2011
///
Re: I Want To Get Married by Orton10(m): 9:06pm On Jan 06, 2011
From ur post, i bet you're approaching ur mid-thirties. Gurl 8.5 years and nothing to show for it?. Since ur guy doesn't wanna make a move towards marriage, i suggest you just move on wif ur life and settle down wif someone more serious.
Don't be suprised when u wake up when one day and guess what?
MENOPAUSE!

Gooluck.
Re: I Want To Get Married by dayokanu(m): 12:21am On Jan 07, 2011
Na wa o
Re: I Want To Get Married by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 05, 2014
^^^ Will you stop spamming the whole thread with your fake prophet story and get a real job? Mstcheeee.

(1) (Reply)

What Pride Do U Have Being A Baby Mama? / When Boys Become Men:10 Mistakes They Make / Unbelievable! Son Rapes Mother.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.