Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,042 members, 7,970,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 12:02 AM

Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos (502 Views)

15 Planes Land In Abuja Despite lockdown- Kemi Olunloyo / El-Zakzaky: Shiite Members Protest In Abuja Despite Lockdown, Rock Face Masks / Electricity Tariff To Increase On Wednesday Despite Lockdown In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos by zakim(m): 10:46am On Apr 08, 2020
Except the public vehicles – the popular yellow buses and the mass transit buses – that are out of sight on major roads and highways in Lagos, everything seems to be normal despite the lockdown in the state. Are Lagosians now defying the lockdown and the social distancing regulations? Our correspondents report! From Lagos Mainland to the Island, Lagosians seem to be tired of the directive just one week after the Federal Government ordered the lockdown of Lagos, FCT and Ogun State.

Last week when the regulations took effect, the compliance was very appreciable though pedestrian movements remain conspicuous prompting many people to wonder where people were heading to. Some of them claimed to be factory workers who needed to get to their places of work. However, this week especially with the relaxation by the government ordering markets to open from 10:00am to 2:00pm, Lagos highways are getting busy.

Yesterday, a trending video on social media showed heavy traffic around Jakande-Agunji axis of the Lekki-Epe Expressway. Similarly, residents of the state have turned major highways to fitness centres where early morning drills and workouts are conducted. This, according to observers, has defeated the essence of the social distancing measure.

Also our correspondents observed movements of some Okada riders at Ikeja axis, Alausa on the stretch of Lagos-Ibadan expressway, and Ojodu-Berger despite the lockdown. Also, many malls were open and customers were allowed to go in for shopping amidst the lockdown. Already, thousands of youths in the state are struggling to conquer the boredom of staying at home days into the lockdown. To keep themselves busy, scores of youths in Ajegunle, Olodi, Amukoko, Ijora-Badia and Agege converted the ever-busy roads into football pitches to play against the best team in the area.

Driving through the city of Lagos on Monday and Tuesday, many were sighted around Surulere axis doing their early morning fitness exercise. Some tried to avoid one another in deference to the social distancing appeal. With the allowance granted for markets to open, many people usually rush to the markets near their area, not minding the social distancing regulations. At Berger market, trading activities continued unhindered. People went about their usual market hustle and hassle.

“I came to the market to buy one or two items which we don’t have at home. We bought some things last week before the lockdown started, we have exhausted some of the items,” said one Mrs. Olanrewaju who spoke with one of our correspondents. Lagos residents move freely at Iyana-Ipaja in Lagos. April 06, 2020. Photo by: Benedict Uwalaka. Lagos residents move freely at Iyana-Ipaja in Lagos.

April 06, 2020. Photo by: Benedict Uwalaka. Although the lockdown made provisions for people to leave their homes to buy food, policemen who mounted road blocks horse-whipped some would-be shoppers in the streets. A factory worker who works in one of the factories at Agbara said he did night shift penultimate Sunday and was on his way home the next day when he walked into some policemen.

Frederick Okolie, 38, said he was beaten up by Policemen when he ventured outside. “The factory that I work in paid me some money and I thought it was best to get some food in the house. But the police attacked us with sticks and beat us,” he said. “Now we have nothing to eat.”

More groaning under lockdown Many Lagosians particularly those living on daily paid jobs are still lamenting that the lockdown is telling on their family negatively as they find it difficult to feed. Mr. Chima Sixtus while narrating his situation said, “I was relieved of my job at a microfinance bank some few months ago, I am yet to get another job. My wife is into buying and selling. She helps people to buy items and get little commission on it. Due to the lockdown, she cannot do her business and she has been the one catering for the family since I lost my job.

“Now that she is not working, things are really difficult while those owing her money are also complaining that they are cash trap. Government should please put in place a better strategy that will make the relief materials promised get to those who really need them.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/coronavirus-despite-lockdown-social-distancing-fails-in-lagos.html

Re: Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos by Chicagoesontop: 10:54am On Apr 08, 2020
I fear Lagos some 20 years ago when i see say na only men dey fry Akara for street, there and then i concluded that anything can happen in Lagos, and this is one of them happening now !!
Re: Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos by baralatie(m): 10:58am On Apr 08, 2020
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos by Fidelismaria: 11:18am On Apr 08, 2020
Chai

This one na serious WAHALA
Re: Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos by nijabazaar: 11:33am On Apr 08, 2020
I kept saying that when we reach the Italian junction, No one, absolutely no one will force us to stay at home
Re: Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos by kiyosaki1(m): 11:56am On Apr 08, 2020
So who's fault is it ? Is it the fault of citizens ? or that of government that do not provide adequate means of transportation ? or how is social distancing going to be observed in face me I face you accommodation ? where a man, the wife and five children stay in one room . Socal distancin my foot
If nigeria had the type of coronavirus that is ravaging Europe we should have been recording death in hundred of thousands now. What we have in nigeria is malaria cum coronavirus.
Re: Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos by kiyosaki1(m): 11:58am On Apr 08, 2020
nijabazaar:
I kept saying that when we reach the Italian junction, No one, absolutely no one will force us to stay at home
Which Italian junction, stop living in fool paradise.keep on deceiving yourself.
Re: Coronavirus: Despite Lockdown, Social Distancing Fails In Lagos by Jamesbiodun(m): 1:32pm On Apr 08, 2020
Fake news, no market is opened in Iyana Ipaja. About you get Iyana Ipaja for Katsina state. I'm damn sure you took the picture probably last month

(1) (Reply)

Breaking : Fire Guts Lagos Airport Hotel In Ikeja - Video / Closure Of Enugu Airport Turned Out To Be A Blessing. / Rotimi Amaechi Mourns Kyari, Condoles With Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.