Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,127 members, 7,907,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 11:36 PM

Eight Reasons You Should Ask For Help And How To Do It Effectively - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Eight Reasons You Should Ask For Help And How To Do It Effectively (279 Views)

Five Reasons We Should Ask Questions / The First Question You Should Ask Yourself About COVID-19 In Nigeria / “6 REASONS YOU MUST MARRY YOUR MATE” By Apostle Joshua Selman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Eight Reasons You Should Ask For Help And How To Do It Effectively by abayomitheblog(m): 1:37pm On Apr 08, 2020
Eight reasons you should ask for help

1. It shows vulnerability.

If you are one of the people that think vulnerability is a bad thing or it is for the weak then you begin to have rethink. Vulnerability is one of the most misunderstood concept. The society we live in today makes it difficult for us to be vulnerable. Mark Mason, author of the subtle art of not giving a f*ck wrote in a post that vulnerability is consciously choosing to not hide your emotions or desires from others.

Consciously, which means that we have been wired by our environment to hide our feelings or emotions hence we have make conscious decisions to show it. Being vulnerable does not only show that you are human, it shows that you are strong and care less about what others think. To show vulnerability is a tough thing to do especially in our world where showing weakness is seen as weak. People want you to be always strong which is impossible. I mean, you are human and you have your weakness. When you begin to ignore people’s opinion as you express your emotions, feelings and thoughts, then you are showing vulnerability.

2. You can never do it alone

Whether you want to hear this or not, you cannot do it alone, you cannot succeed alone, you cannot do it all by yourself. Trust me, you will get frustrated and worn out quickly if you think that you can. When you understand that there is no one that can do it alone and everyone needs help at one point or another, then you will find it easier.

3. You won’t get far without it

If you go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. Think of any success story you have heard, I am sure there is no one that took all the credits. You can never go far without help, without someone else giving you something. Together, you go farther and maybe even faster.

4. You make them feel good

I don’t know about you but whenever someone comes to me for help, I feel worthy and when I do what they asked, I feel proud of myself and at peace with myself. Helping someone gives us joy and it is one of the inexpensive and effective ways to boost self esteem. Always keep in mind that you are not only doing yourself a favor by asking, you are also making the person helping you feel good about themselves.

5. It strengthens relationship

This applies mostly when you ask someone familiar to you. Although in some cases it works with strangers as well. When you ask for help, you stand a chance becoming a friend or becoming closer to the person. Psychologist and author Heidi Grant wrote in an article that asking helps to strengthen relationships.

6. You will feel a lot better

You are aware that needing help means that there is something that you cannot handle. Which means that it is possible for you to feel worried and disturbed as long as that thing stay unattended to. When you ask, you stand a very high chance of feeling much better. Your mental health is safe and you are able to think about other things.

7. You will not be rejected

The most common reason we prefer to hold back and resist asking for help is that we fear rejection. At least I know I do and I am making efforts to stop that. The fact is that you stand a high chance of not being rejected because people are willing since helping makes them feel good.

Having said that, it is also possible for you to be rejected, you should keep in mind that rejection is normal. You don’t need to worry about getting rejected, just try and see.

8 Asking for help will make people like you more

You can make others like you by asking for help from them. It makes others see you as someone willing to learn from them, as someone who does not know it all. Nobody wants to be friends with a know it all after all.

Read three tips from psychologist Heidi Grant on what to do when you ask for help.

https://yomisblog.com/8-reasons-you-should-ask-for-help-and-how-to-do-it-effectively/
Re: Eight Reasons You Should Ask For Help And How To Do It Effectively by Oshin56(m): 8:28pm On Apr 08, 2020
Nice write up keep it up. That's what I'm passing through now I'm a graduate seeking for job but I don't hide or feel shy to tell people my problem because a closed mouth is a closed destiny.

1 Like

Re: Eight Reasons You Should Ask For Help And How To Do It Effectively by abayomitheblog(m): 2:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
Yes oo, a closed mouth is closed destiny
Oshin56:
Nice write up keep it up. That's what I'm passing through now I'm a graduate seeking for job but I don't hide or feel shy to tell people my problem because a closed mouth is a closed destiny.

(1) (Reply)

Rastafarians And Reggae / How To Make #120000 With Just #1000 Within A Month. / The Gates Millennium Scholars Program 2020 Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.