Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,612 members, 7,917,963 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:13 PM

BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa (994 Views)

IMF Excludes Nigeria From Debt Relief / Nigeria Gets Debt Relief From China, G-20 / Did IMF Exclude Nigeria From 25 Nations Granted Debt Relief? (Fact Check) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 09, 2020
World leaders, including Olusegun Obasanjo, former president of Nigeria and Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former managing director of the World Bank, have asked the G-20 countries for a $44 billion debt relief for African countries to tackle the novel coronavirus.

The duo joined over 100 world leaders in demanding “immediate internationally coordinated action–within the next few days–to address our deepening global health and economic crisis from COVID-19″.

In a letter address to the G20 nations, the leaders said the 2008 to 2010 economic crisis is less complicated than the current pandemic seen across the world.

I”n 2008-2010, the immediate economic crisis could be surmounted when the economic fault line—under-capitalization of the global banking system—was tackled,” the letter read.

“Now, however, the economic emergency will not be resolved until the health emergency is effectively addressed: the health emergency will not end simply by conquering the disease in one country alone, but by ensuring recovery from COVID-19 in all countries.”

The also asked the international community to “waive this year’s poorer countries’ debt repayments, including $44 billion due from Africa, and consider future debt relief to allow poor countries the fiscal space to tackle the health and economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic”.

“We ask the G20 to task the IMF and the World Bank to further assess the debt sustainability of affected countries.”

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-obasanjo-okonjo-iweala-demand-44bn-debt-relief-for-africa/amp

Lalasticlala, seun

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by 360degreess(m): 10:52pm On Apr 09, 2020
.I thought obj said he didn't believe covid 19 was in Nigeria, but he later gave one of his house as an isolation centre because he later realised the reality when the disease finally landed Ogun state..Hmmm.confusion everywhere.
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by ojun50(m): 11:00pm On Apr 09, 2020
Olusegun obasanjo and Okonjo-Iweala....... the millions contributed by individuals in Nigerian here,we are still yet to see d impact.....

They should save d MONEY for now after covid 19 thy can give us d money.
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by richidinho(m): 11:00pm On Apr 09, 2020
grin

One day this woman will lead this country

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Toosure70: 11:03pm On Apr 09, 2020
True leaders.
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Mrshape: 11:03pm On Apr 09, 2020
Individuals are now the one ruling, the president has gone on hiding

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Ayo8(m): 11:31pm On Apr 09, 2020
ojun50:
Olusegun obasanjo and Okonjo-Iweala....... the millions contributed by individuals in Nigerian here,we are still yet to see d impact.....

They should save d MONEY for now after covid 19 thy can give us d money.

Bro...Its a waiver on repayment, Nobody is giving you money.

richidinho:
grin

One day this woman will lead this country

The south east can't get themselves together, they have a chance for 2023 but they are only good at backstabbing themselves...

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Tpave(m): 1:49am On Apr 10, 2020
I listened to Okonjo Iweala's interview on TVC yesterday. Mehn... that woman is well experienced and very intelligent. She can rule this Nigeria and make a very good and successful leader honestly.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Yankee101: 2:49am On Apr 10, 2020
The best combo naija ever had

The did it before, they can do it again

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Nobody: 2:56am On Apr 10, 2020
I doubt if the world takes any other politician from Nigeria serious except these two

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by jboixxx: 3:03am On Apr 10, 2020
You na no de tire for debt relief request?
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by olukaygold(m): 4:18am On Apr 10, 2020
Obasanjo feat Okonjo Iweala, this colabo bad ooo
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Nobody: 4:25am On Apr 10, 2020
Someone giving debt relief needs to see better leadership structure, rather than forgiving your debt just to give thieves (politicians) more avenue to loot.
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Nobody: 5:22am On Apr 10, 2020
Abouwaza:
I doubt if the world takes any other politician from Nigeria serious except these two
obj is the only leader recognised in africa. Okonjo iweala too is a figure to reckon with

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by helinues: 5:42am On Apr 10, 2020
If the relief will still be shared by FG, sorry we don't need it..
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Ogegeodey(m): 6:47am On Apr 10, 2020
Abouwaza:

I share ur sentiment sir, she is everywhere in the global space representing Africa.
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Opexzy: 7:00am On Apr 10, 2020
Tpave:
I listened to Okonjo Iweala's interview on TVC yesterday. Mehn... that woman is well experienced and very intelligent. She can rule this Nigeria and make a very good and successful leader honestly.

Nigeria is a complex nation, it takes more than being book smart to rule this country successfully.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by CharleyBright(m): 7:22am On Apr 10, 2020
Ok oooo

Obasanjo and aunty Ngozi are begging for debt relief for Nigeria when the Buhari - The Commanding Borrower in Thief is still in power?
Na waste of time and energy.
Even if all Nigeria debt is written off today, by end of next week Buhari will be looking for where to borrow.
I have never seen a clueless, useless and brainless President in my life.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by orisa37: 9:30am On Apr 10, 2020
fairfora:
World leaders, including Olusegun Obasanjo, former president of Nigeria and Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former managing director of the World Bank, have asked the G-20 countries for a $44 billion debt relief for African countries to tackle the novel coronavirus.

The duo joined over 100 world leaders in demanding “immediate internationally coordinated action–within the next few days–to address our deepening global health and economic crisis from COVID-19″.

In a letter address to the G20 nations, the leaders said the 2008 to 2010 economic crisis is less complicated than the current pandemic seen across the world.

I”n 2008-2010, the immediate economic crisis could be surmounted when the economic fault line—under-capitalization of the global banking system—was tackled,” the letter read.

“Now, however, the economic emergency will not be resolved until the health emergency is effectively addressed: the health emergency will not end simply by conquering the disease in one country alone, but by ensuring recovery from COVID-19 in all countries.”

The also asked the international community to “waive this year’s poorer countries’ debt repayments, including $44 billion due from Africa, and consider future debt relief to allow poor countries the fiscal space to tackle the health and economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic”.

“We ask the G20 to task the IMF and the World Bank to further assess the debt sustainability of affected countries.”

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-obasanjo-okonjo-iweala-demand-44bn-debt-relief-for-africa/amp

SUPPORTED!!!
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by orunto27: 9:39am On Apr 10, 2020
SUPPORTED
Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by nijabazaar: 10:38am On Apr 10, 2020
The good old days of OBJ and NOI
Then I had hope in Nigeria.
Canada was never on my mind.

Now....I cant wait for covid to end so I can vamooze

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Covid-19-Obasanjo, Okonjo-iweala Demand $44bn Debt Relief For Africa by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 10, 2020
Ogegeodey:

I share ur sentiment sir, she is everywhere in the global space representing Africa.
Honestly speaking, she's the type we should elect as president but for where no be 9ja again? Lol
Same thing when Gani Fawehnmi contested, we all queued behind fraudsters then ignoring him
Its true, we deserve what we get
Stupid people elect stupid leaders

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

35 strongest armies in Africa (2020) / Breaking News:why The Youth Leader Was Declared Wanted..rivers State / Will You Die For Nigeria To Be Great?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.