Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,211 members, 7,880,782 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:43 AM

Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians (285 Views)

Adewole Adebayo: Tinubu’s Choice Of Running Mate Is Insensitive / Kemi Olunloyo: My DSS Boyfriend Told Me A FULL LOCKDOWN Is Coming / The Continuous Attack By Ipob-igbo Movement On Men From Other Tribes Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by MakindeHassan: 10:05pm On Apr 13, 2020
Hello Nairalanders,
Today by 7PM the President made an address to the nation extending the lockdown for a further two weeks. Although under the right circumstances I agree with this move, the current situation of the country has made this decision seem insensitive to the plight of Nigerians as most people are against this. As a leader, making decisions is never an easy task but however, you should consider the people you are making the decision for. Here are steps I feel the Government should have taken.

EASE THE LOCKDOWN: COVID19 has proved a deadly virus and we should take precaution but let us not deceive ourselves, Nigeria remains a poor nation with zero welfare for citizens. Many Nigerians feed off the proceeds of their daily work with no savings to fall on, without daily work, they cannot feed. Corona virus might kill but hunger also kills. Most countries which have enforced the lockdown are developed nations which are paying their citizens to stay home and have offered relief packages to businesses closed down during this period. We have heard of the money shared to Nigerians on the news but honestly as a Nairalander, how many people around you has benefited. A quick calculation shows N2 trillion can be shared among 200 million Nigerians at N10,000 each. Even using BVN to ensure no one is double counted, which I am sure not all 200 million Nigerians are BVN enrolled but however, the Government claims to have shared N2 trillion without any real impact on the people. The lockdown should have been gradually lifted by structuring the public service into shifts and restricting the number of people allowed into government buildings at a time. Secondly, the ban on public gatherings will remain i.e; parties, clubs, concerts and large meetings. International flights will still be cancelled and interstate travel from affected states will be limited to just cargo to enable economic activities to return.

COMPANIES WILL BE PAID SUBSIDIES USING THEIR TAX RECORDS: This is another way to encourage paying tax. Companies will be paid their projected yearly profit divided by 12 for one month and they must pay their staff salaries once paid this subsidy as a pre-condition. This was, the effect of the economic downturn after the lockdown will be reduced and those in the private sector can be assured of salaries. Only companies that have declared profit and paid tax will be paid this subsidy. So if you declared less profit or no profit then you will get less or nothing at all. This will encourage companies to understand that paying tax is essential as in times like this they can be used to calculate bailouts.

PUBLIC TRANSPORT WILL BE MONITORED: Public transport; BRT and Taxis will resume but with strict conditions on the number of passengers and spacing arrangement. The drop in fuel price should make up for the lower revenue in less passengers. I trust the Nigerian Police to enforce this rule as they never waste time to extort motorist so I am sure they will stop anyone breaking this rule.

The fact is the economic impact of this virus is yet to be understood. Even the developed nations are already projecting a disaster if the economy is not back on. The recession, the poverty, hunger and crime rate that is expected cannot be projected by our current understanding of Economics. The world has never been this shutdown economically in these modern times. The ripple effect might be more than the virus, be informed.
Re: Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by Ilola(f): 10:07pm On Apr 13, 2020
This is not funny at all. God pls have mercy
Re: Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by dazzlingd(m): 10:10pm On Apr 13, 2020
You are still speaking english because u haven't witnessed a serious pandemic.
Nobody will tell u when u will flee for your life.
Keep speaking grammar,

1 Like

Re: Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by Lorazepam(f): 10:11pm On Apr 13, 2020
Good write up honestly. Too bad Government doesn't care.
Re: Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by Kenneygirl(f): 10:17pm On Apr 13, 2020
When buhari is enjoying in aso rock,why would he care how the lockdown affects the citizens

3 Likes

Re: Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by MakindeHassan: 10:17pm On Apr 13, 2020
dazzlingd:
You are still speaking english because u haven't witnessed a serious pandemic.
Nobody will tell u when u will flee for your life.
Keep speaking grammar,

I am lucky to be one of the few Nigerian's who can feed my family for at least some more months if this continues but honestly I am speaking for the common man, Mechanics, labourer, teachers and those in the informal sector. If you want people to stay at home then provide them with welfare. Everyone around me has turned to a beggar and the situation in Lagos will only get worse. Crime will rise as people get hungry. We have to be smart and make sure the economy is functioning while we take precaution. Even the U.S is not on total lockdown as other states are still a bit free. I can send you pictures of what friends in Canada who are not even citizens yet received from the Government.

1 Like

Re: Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by backnbeta(f): 10:19pm On Apr 13, 2020
Let's just hope and pray there's no reason to extend the lockdown beyond the second 14days undecided

1 Like

Re: Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by Favourrr: 8:30am On Apr 14, 2020
Utilize this lockdown period to make good money from home. “Partner with a Nigeria News Update Website and get the privilege of being paid for your time online (remember, what you'd normally do for free). You basically get paid for reading news, sharing sponsored posts and referring people(optional). You can start today with a one time registration fee of N3,000 and stand the chance to earn over 20k week depending on how serious you are. Ask me how”. Whatsapp me @ 08175100741
https:///%2B2348175100741?text=Hello%20How%20may%20I%20be%20of%20help%3F
Re: Why The Continuous Lockdown Is Insensitive To Nigerians by Afolabimills(m): 8:52am On Apr 14, 2020
Pls help Gt bank plc a/c 0024085482

(1) (Reply)

Let The Revolution Begin!!!! / Buhari Became Emotional Talking About Kyari, Speaks Of How They First Met / ICPC To Probe PENCOM DG, Aisha Dahir-umar, Over Alleged Multi-billion Naira Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.