Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,737 members, 7,948,710 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 08:50 AM

COVID-19: What The Government Can Do To Alleviate Hardship This Lockdown. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19: What The Government Can Do To Alleviate Hardship This Lockdown. (206 Views)

Carter Oshodin, UNIBEN Official, Commits Suicide Over Hardship / Coronavirus: Mamora Says Each Test Costs The Government ₦10,000 / Covid-19: What Has The Global Pandemic Taught You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: What The Government Can Do To Alleviate Hardship This Lockdown. by lyricalz: 12:37pm On Apr 14, 2020
This is a bit long, but I think it's worth reading.

Government across the world has been battling with this pandemic, while rolling out measures to alleviate the pains and suffering that will come upon the common man and the most vulnerable.

In a country like Nigeria where the economy is not in a good shape even before the pandemic, it will be really hard for the government to begin payment of unconditional cash transfer for all her citizens, a polulation of over 200million people.

Although the government have been rolling out measures to fight out covid-19 by totally locking down some states, and also some palliatives to ease the effect of the lockdown.
The government also announced unconditional cash transfer to the most poorest people in the society, this indeed is not a bad idea, but the issue with this and controversy sorrounding this idea is the question of how the government came about the list of the most poorest in the society.
How about those artisans and traders whose source of livelihood solely depends on the income they make daily, most of whom have spent all their capital and little savings during the first phase of the lockdown. What about those working in small enterprises and institutions who don't have hope of receiving April salary amidst this lockdown?
Although lockdown have been a proven solution in slowing down the spread of Corona virus, let's not forget the hardship this will bring to the common man.

In my opinion I think the best solution is not sharing 2derica(about 2kg) of rice and a loaf of bread in our neighborhood.
Unconditional cash transfer to citizens is still the best option and choice to make. Yes the government can do it, and they have the capacity and resources to do it, the question remains if they have the political will to do it.
For those who may be wondering how, yes Nigeria has a population of about 200million, but with the help of technology we can narrow down the beneficiaries.
Let's be reminded that, there are people who have zero account balances in their bank accounts as at this moment. As I moved down to the bus-stop this morning to buy food, I saw people begging, able-bodied men and women begging for peanuts just to buy food to fill their empty stomach, who knows when last they ate.

The government can use technology with the help of bvn, to fish out account holders who have a minimum of certain account balances in all their bank account at a certain date, probably people above 18years of age. In my opinion these are the poorest and most vulnerable. Like I earlier said don't be surprised to see a man/woman with children having 0 naira as bank account balance.
Even if it's 10,000 each for the first phase it's something. At the end of the sorting we will discover that the beneficiaries of this gesture will be minimized to a population of about 30-50million as against the initial population of 200millon.

Don't tell me the government has no capacity or resources to do it, if all political office holders can forego their fat salaries and allowances for a month it will be more than enough, that's the sacrifice that we all have to pay for the poor in our dear country. Afterall the private sector has done their best in the form of contributions, our politicians are busy sharing bread. Had it been this is an election period, I don't think the masses will suffer, bullion vans will be seen everywhere.

With technology ALMOST all things are possible, but with God ALL things are possible. May God keep us save and alive. Fellow Nigerians, this is just my thought and opinion. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: Virus Can Be Spread Through Farts – Doctors Warns / Looking For The Best Cream For My Gf / Kano Counters NCDC, Says No New Coronavirus Case On Thursday In The State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.