Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,177 members, 7,880,672 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:25 AM

What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? (76758 Views)

The Mystery Behind Sugar, Salt And One Part Of Your Body / Natural Dreadlocks Popularly Called Dada-What Is The Mystery Behind It? / The Mystery Behind The Name Daodu/dawodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by silverr(f): 10:24pm On May 14, 2020
Xavfra:

Sorry for describing yourself......

I'll keep my dada till death.......
Lmao
E pain am grin grin grin

Dream of me giving you a hair cut dear kiss
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by silverr(f): 10:25pm On May 14, 2020
Xavfra:

grin shocked

I like the latter......
But it's true...the latter is much better.....

But at least you ain't got anything tongue

I knew, was just pretending I didn't know grin
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by silverr(f): 10:30pm On May 14, 2020
ajl:

Dada only refer to children or individuals who were born with or developed dreadlock naturally. Its not to be used for those who choose to develop dreads artificially by leaving their hair unkempt. For the true Dadas, even when your parents continue to comb your hair, the dread continues to develop. I guess most of you are disconnected from your culture. So this crazy views.

Very wrong, I know several born dada that cut the dreads and grew fresh hair. Once you cut off the tangled part, fresh hair grows.

I understand the spiritual aspect very very well but why should I say it? It's not my biz.
Besides it's much deeper than u think, it goes deeper than culture, it's almost like a religion.

Let me not scare you, go to bed
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Nobody: 11:50pm On May 14, 2020
silverr:

Lmao
E pain am grin grin grin

Dream of me giving you a hair cut dear kiss

Awnnnnn.....

Ososo .....

Come and give me......
I'm waiting
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Nobody: 11:51pm On May 14, 2020
silverr:

I knew, was just pretending I didn't know grin

You knew because you're among .....

Hail the queen...... grin shocked

I greet.....
When you go back to your kingdom greet your people
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Litmus: 12:17am On May 15, 2020
Some are born with it. In the old days in Nigeria, it was believed that a child born with these locks are special in the eyes of the gods. For these reasons, many Nigerian dreadlocked children could be found wondering around with coins and assortment of other types of items tied to their dreadlocks. The coins were for the gods and ribbons or strips of cloths for good luck. And in case you wonder how coins could be tied to hair, wonder no more for in the old days Nigerian coins had holes at the centre, I am told. However, with the approach of modernity many of the old people had begun to associate dreadlocks with irresponsibility – the fact that the hairs of mentally insane street people often dreadlocked did not help. In any case, medicine men began to provide options for the old peoples of Nigeria on how to proceed with dreadlocked children. Parents were advised that they could cut off these children’s’ dreadlocked hair on the proviso that this must take place on the banks of rivers and locks cast into the waters.

Eh, i know many little things and forget nothing. undecided
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Siscooh: 12:38am On May 15, 2020
MistarT:
The best and surest adviser is the Holy Spirit, however with little knowledge about dreadlocks, there's a comma somewhere, if you have a child with dreads, prayerfully cut it, that is why most believers cut their children's hair before dedication, the words I write are not comprehendable with a carnal mind, they're spiritually discerned. God bless you.
The carnal minds will argue
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by rinzaugustine: 12:59am On May 15, 2020
The ones I know are musicians
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Nwaesogwa: 1:01am On May 15, 2020
ybalogs:
I'm interested in unraveling the mystery as well.
Very few Igbo children are born with dada but for those who are born with it they say that spirit were braiding the child hair from the womb and before the dada is being cut off, a sacrifice must be made if not the child would die. It has happened before in my community. But I think that those who go the salon to get dada has no spiritual implications and most prophet in the Bible had dread cause they never carried a comb in Their bags and they also isolated them self from the general population.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Alanpoza007: 1:24am On May 15, 2020
Sammybase:

Non of the above in fact we don't like them 1 bit..
And we are not fans of all this spiritual story and miracle
If you don't attend any of Cele or Cherubim, then how come you guys allowed your sister to grow deadlock without cutting her hair from being a baby. At least your parents must have left the hair from birth on advice from a church/prophet. Which church did you rush her to when your mum tried cutting her hair and it bounced back?
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Alanpoza007: 1:40am On May 15, 2020
Anuoluwa1234:
Dear.. don't be deceived.. dada is a spiritual thing... If you want to know more.. go and study demonology undecided undecided..
Why is it that dada is restricted to some churches. Why is it that if any penticostial have dada.. when it is traced, it is either the foundation der of that church lias with some orthodox church undecided undecided..
And some say Samson is Dada.. dear be guided, Samson is not dada.. the Bible recorded that his hair was in 6 strands Ni . And there is a diff between 6stands if hair and dada undecided undecided
When you say dada is spiritual, is it a negative or positive thing, and what's your take on those churches where dada is restricted to?
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Ghostrye: 5:22am On May 15, 2020
silverr:

You walk around looking semi mad and expect normal people not to be concerned? Thats how madness starts before the advanced stage.

I sure won't reply you anymore now I know your mental predicament
K
Get a life
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:32am On May 15, 2020
hopefulLandlord:

I'm still around bro, just not posting as much as before because of the change to focus on other commitments

Ok broda. That's good.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Sammybase(m): 11:37am On May 15, 2020
Alanpoza007:

If you don't attend any of Cele or Cherubim, then how come you guys allowed your sister to grow deadlock without cutting her hair from being a baby. At least your parents must have left the hair from birth on advice from a church/prophet. Which church did you rush her to when your mum tried cutting her hair and it bounced back?

( The Apostolic Church )
Dread or wig not allowed, trousers not allowed or long earrings
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by ajl: 1:30pm On May 15, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

YOU ALREADY CALLED IT A MYTH, RENDERING IT INVALID IN REAL LIFE. BYE.

You are just zero upstairs. Obviously you don't know the definition of mythology. It is said that "my people perish for lack of knowledge". You are suggesting that the entire Yoruba religious traditions or mythology and Greek mythology are to be thrown into the dustbin. I am helping you with the definition.

"Mythology (from the Greek mythos for story-of-the-people, and logos for word or speech, so the spoken story of a people) is the study and interpretation of often sacred tales or fables of a culture known as myths or the collection of such stories which deal with various aspects of the human condition: good and evil; ...Oct 31, 2018"

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by ajl: 1:40pm On May 15, 2020
Nwaesogwa:
Very few Igbo children are born with dada but for those who are born with it they say that spirit were braiding the child hair from the womb and before the dada is being cut off, a sacrifice must be made if not the child would die. It has happened before in my community. But I think that those who go the salon to get dada has no spiritual implications and most prophet in the Bible had dread cause they never carried a comb in Their bags and they also isolated them self from the general population.

One of the few comments that make sense. The same apply in Yoruba tradition. In fact Dada is of the deities, and son of Yemoja (goddess of the sea). Nigerians are so clueless on the spirituality level. They use the usual religious indoctrination and brainwashing from Christianity and Islam to demonise. traditional spirituality that has been around for thousands of years. All these elements of nature are attributes of God who use herichichial forces of nature to create and mold the earth and all of creation. So, it is these elements of nature that are also part and parcel of God that some cultures got close to and use to reach out to God.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by ajl: 1:45pm On May 15, 2020
silverr:

Very wrong, I know several born dada that cut the dreads and grew fresh hair. Once you cut off the tangled part, fresh hair grows.

I understand the spiritual aspect very very well but why should I say it? It's not my biz.
Besides it's much deeper than u think, it goes deeper than culture, it's almost like a religion.

Let me not scare you, go to bed

See this one educating me on what I was born with. Nothing wrong in what I said. Mine was also cut from young age. Same as my younger brother.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by luminouz(m): 1:57pm On May 15, 2020
dairykidd:
There are definitely spiritual undertones to people with natural dread but i really don't know much about it. For those saying its always dirty its just another lie. I have a beautiful little nephew who was a natural dread and his mom takes good care of the hair. Washes it and applies the right ointments although she is cele sha a strong one who owns her own church. I remember how i used to stroll with this little kid on the streets in Ibadan back then. Na so fine fine girls dey hustle to just carry am or play with am and me no dey fail to finish work grin

He's grown now... that was some nine years ago
I was born one. It aided my supernatural abilities till date
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by sleekone: 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
There's no mystery. It's just a hairstyle.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 15, 2020
luminouz:

I was born one. It aided my supernatural abilities till date
Really shocked
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by luminouz(m): 3:43pm On May 15, 2020
dairykidd:

Really shocked

Yes bro
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 15, 2020
luminouz:

Yes bro
So what sort of spiritual abilities are we talking about here
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by luminouz(m): 3:56pm On May 15, 2020
dairykidd:

So what sort of spiritual abilities are we talking about here

tongue tongue tongue
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 15, 2020
luminouz:

tongue tongue tongue
Lets hear it abi u dey fear say dem go come for u undecided
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Gabaleve(m): 5:23pm On May 15, 2020
SKhanmi:
Would have loved to reply the poster above but looking through his statements again ,one can hear the uninformed religious society speaking as usual, coupled with his escape clause about carnal minds not being able to comprehend. Smh.

To others reading this, Man is not just a PHYSICAL BEING of meat & bone. He has other bodies, up to 7 to the best of my knowledge, now the black man is more naturally attuned to the spiritual realm than the other races and as such possess different gifts that other races have to train hard to get. The white garment churches know the usefulness of that type of hair even if they eventually chose to pervert it for their own uses. Ever wondered why Moses, Elijah & most prophets are portrayed with very long beards & long hair? It is based on the same premise. Find that out and you'll get your answer. The black man's bane is ignorance, preferring to ignore his soul, his roots & identity for a pseudo one and then turn around to blame the world for treating him like turd. Knowledge is really power & the black man unfortunately is not ready to learn anytime soon.

Ogbeni you started well, especially your first paragraph, but after that, everything you wrote were terrible... Must u people ascribe spirituality to even the simplest things of life?
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Gabaleve(m): 5:24pm On May 15, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
BY NATURE OF OUR RACE, DADA IS THE NATURAL FORM OF OUR HAIRS IF WE LET IT GROW FROM THE ROOTS WITHOUT COMBING OR TOUCHING IT.

THIS IS WHY YOU SEE MANY MADMEN AND PRISONERS WITH DREADS. IT HAS NOW BECOME FASHION, AS EUROPEANS AND AMERICANS PAY MONEY TO HAVE WHAT WE HAVE NATURALLY. IT'S THE SAME WAY OUR WOMEN PAY MONEY TO HAVE THEIR HAIRS LOOKING LIKE THAT OF EUROPEAN WOMEN.

HOWEVER, I EXPECT US TO ASCRIBE IT TO MARINE SPIRITS AND WITCHES BECAUSE WE'RE STUPĮDLY SUPERSTITIOUS IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD.

Collect one bottle bros
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by silverr(f): 12:13am On May 16, 2020
ajl:

See this one educating me on what I was born with. Nothing wrong in what I said. Mine was also cut from young age. Same as my younger brother.

U could be born with it but not understand why you were born with it unless you dig deep
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by DanHaske: 3:59pm On May 16, 2020
SKhanmi:
Would have loved to reply the poster above but looking through his statements again ,one can hear the uninformed religious society speaking as usual, coupled with his escape clause about carnal minds not being able to comprehend. Smh.

To others reading this, Man is not just a PHYSICAL BEING of meat & bone. He has other bodies, up to 7 to the best of my knowledge, now the black man is more naturally attuned to the spiritual realm than the other races and as such possess different gifts that other races have to train hard to get. The white garment churches know the usefulness of that type of hair even if they eventually chose to pervert it for their own uses. Ever wondered why Moses, Elijah & most prophets are portrayed with very long beards & long hair? It is based on the same premise. Find that out and you'll get your answer. The black man's bane is ignorance, preferring to ignore his soul, his roots & identity for a pseudo one and then turn around to blame the world for treating him like turd. Knowledge is really power & the black man unfortunately is not ready to learn anytime soon.
Interesting!
Can you refer any book on this please?
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Nostradamus: 4:32pm On May 16, 2020
Poorboy41:

Dada is a satanic bondage control by a spirit called queenji
queenji cheesy

grin cheesy cheesy

Reminds me of konji grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by guchie4u(m): 5:56pm On May 17, 2020
[color=#550000][/color]
SKhanmi:

I would like to know of the 7 other bodies that make up a man, pls.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video / World's Loneliest Man Dies After Avoiding Contact From Humans For 30 Years(pix) / Who Knows Any Igbo Name That Starts With Letter P?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.