Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,929 members, 7,872,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:17 AM

Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? (905 Views)

Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? / Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / FOR Your Professional Building From Foundation/renovation Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? by NaijadrivaCars: 6:28pm On Apr 15, 2020
Asumming one wants to buy a land and build his choice house or just to buy a preferred building, which is better? FOr example, in Area X, land value is 2million Naira (survey, fees, documentation not inclusive) and a structure of 3 bedroom flats (2 storey) is to be built on the land or just to buy a 45million naira building property in a choice area, which is better?

I had this conversation with a friend who argued that it is better to buy than to build. But when we did the mathematics, we realised that 3 bedroom flat in our chosen area under review is 300,000 Naira p.a, that is, it would take him 10 years to recoup his investment, not to talk of making gains on the investment. He asked, what if the builder isn't around to monitor the building project or get a good foreman/family member (you have heard stories of how many family members, even parents have squandered money sent to them for building from their children abroad), what if building materials cost more now (even when he is aware building appreciates), what if the house is sold cheaply buy a landlord who had other pressing issue to attend to, and so on.

I also pointed out to him that it is better to build from scratch (buy a land, document it and start building), the amount, say 40,000,000 million naira one could pay for the property we argued about can be built for less, say around 20million, how is one sure of the quality of building materials used, that sometimes, houses on sale are overpriced, increased agency fee which can be saved by building (you know, agency fee of 5% on a N2million naira landed property is not the same as 5% on a N40,million house), and so on.

What do you think? Professionals come here pls

Source: https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=83f121ffec85d8a8068a372802c4eba2&news_entry_id=s2da9a697200415en_ng&open_type=tanscoded&request_id=e316f8ec309ce3f080e052b709557166e51a3806&from=publisher

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? by xcabczyxabczzzz: 6:41pm On Apr 15, 2020
Inheriting the house is the cheapest.

3 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? by Paul2love: 8:27pm On Apr 15, 2020
It depends on your ability. Buying afresh will give you opportunity to build your taste.
Buying a new house is also ok, but you may be overcharged or the taste of the house may not totally suit you.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? by uboma(m): 8:34pm On Apr 15, 2020
For personal use, I will build from the scratch.

For investment purposes, I can buy already built houses, carry out some renovation project and sell/rent it out.

Some of the houses built by some developers are actually below required standard but the prices placed on them are outrageous.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? by NaijadrivaCars: 8:49pm On Apr 15, 2020
uboma:
For personal use, I will build from the scratch.

For investment purposes, I can buy already built houses, carry out some renovation project and sell/rent it out.

Some of the houses built by some developers are actually below required standard but the prices placed on them are outrageous.

This is true. They always want to maximize profit.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? by uboma(m): 9:14pm On Apr 15, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:
[/b]

This is true. They always want to maximize profit.

Maximising profit isn't the issue here.

They aim to maximize profit at the expense of safety. This is the main issue....

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Architectural Design Of Four Bedroom Bungalow With Pent / I Toured The Most Luxurious Estate In Lagos Nigeria! (video) / Building Of 5 Flats, 1 Mini Flat, A Room Selfcon And 2 Shops For Sale!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.