Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,132 members, 7,880,550 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:53 PM

The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth (2266 Views)

"Village People" Fact Or Myth? / Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by gregyboy(m): 10:52am On Apr 21, 2020
Am not going to be using date to explain this
I just want to give the summary of the game of politics we all fell for......

Back in the 60s when our traditionalist were been elevated especially in the western region it breeded conflict among the traditional rulers in the then western region
They all made up a story of the non existed Oduduwa, some yorubas believed he had existed, some say it was just a myth created by the yoruba people, but each mornachs in the western region had thier own stories of Oduduwa that fit thier narrative. It was mostly centred around the three popular kings in the western region the alafin of oyo, the ooni of ife and the oba of benin
The ooni of ife and the oba of benin had the major support, the ooni is believed to be the true son of Oduduwa by the yoruba people, the oba of benin on the otherhand, use to have sovereignty over a large part of yorubas who the monarchs still regard him as thier superior king, the alafin oyo didnt really gain much support than these two, on both tales told by the oba of benin and the ooni of ife alafin remained third, from the oba of benin angle on the tales(myth) of Oduduwa he remained first same for the ooni vise-versa
The alafin had is own support for the oba of benin, egharevba the first benin historian had wrote his story to fit the oba narrative but he was intercepted by the only printing press in ibadan, (ibadan printing press)
Knowing egharevba motives he was asked to go back to rewrite his story to feature ife as the head which he complied to inother to move in his acedemical studies, the oba plan later didn't succeed he wasn't having enough political power to back him his plans, awolowo had taken side with the ooni , although he was in the western region the oba benin was not recognized as a yoruba man this allowed tribalism play-in against the oba of benin. The olu of itsekiri was later elevated as the olu of warri because of the yoruba ancestory which prompted riot in the then
Western region, the oba failed plot was associated with the edos been marginalized by the yoruba people, the yoruba knowing the oba of benin was alien to ancestory of Oduduwa proomted the constant marginalization, Oduduwa ancestory was unique to the yorubas alone the oba of benin happened to join in for his political gain, if he had succeeded he would have been the topmost ruler of the western region

Both the oba of benin and the ooni of ife conspiracy traces Oduduwa to earlier as the 10c i.e 900yrs ago from the benin dating.....
But if Oduduwa was really the progenitor of the yoruba people he should have existed beyond thousands of years ago to give the population of the entire yoruba people

1 Like

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Usorohtheman(m): 10:57am On Apr 21, 2020
oduduwa's story is a myth but Jesus' story is not.

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 21, 2020
Usorohtheman:
Where did he mention Jesus ?
What does the oduduwa myth have to do with Jesus ?
People like you amaze me with how you reason.

1 Like

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Usorohtheman(m): 11:22am On Apr 21, 2020
Getsmart2:
Where did he mention Jesus ? What does the oduduwa myth have to do with Jesus ? People like you amaze me with how you reason.
coming from a Christian
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 21, 2020
1) there is actually nothing in the oduduwa myth which attaches the fictional character oduduwa to any date. Any dating read online or on papers are a new modification of the oduduwa myth.

2)It is more than clear that Yoruba politicians of the 1920's or 1930's created the myth with the idea of federating ethnic groups of the western region and placing a Yoruba as the "tribal head".

3) the Yoruba politicians choice fell on the ooni of ife because he carried favour with the British and he cow towed to the political elite. The Yoruba politicians even went as far as making the ooni of ife the prime minister of the western region.

4) As to why the Great emperor Omo n'Oba n'Edo entered the debate about oduduwa, it seems to me that it was a defense manoeuvre. In order to stop the Yoruba attempt to erode the culture of the Edo and to stop the Yoruba attempt to have people of Benin empire consider the imposter ooni of ife as their suzerain.
So a strategy was made to pull the trigger on the Yoruba created myth and the strategy was to say: if any oduduwa existed, he came from the palace of the Oba of Benin! It was said in an other way though.

Given the lack of education of the masses and their gullibility at believing the oduduwa myth in the first place, some people doubt that telling the people point blank that oduduwa never existed (which is the truth) would have been the best strategy to pull the trigger on the political myth oduduwa.

5) the Oba of Benin was already a feared and respected ruler in the region before colonisation. The ooni and the alafin were not. Therefore, the Oba of Benin didn't need to create a myth to place him at the centre ! He was already at the center ! The oduduwa myth was actually meant to give the prestige of the Oba of Benin to a Yoruba man (the ooni of ife).

I hope you understand my explanation !

gregyboy:

Back in the 60s when our traditionalist were been elevated especially in the western region it breeded conflict among the traditional rulers in the then western region
They all made up a story of the non existed Oduduwa, some yorubas believed he had existed, some say it was just a myth created by the yoruba people, but each mornachs in the western region had thier own stories of Oduduwa that fit thier narrative. It was mostly centred around the three popular kings in the western region the alafin of oyo, the ooni of ife and the oba of benin
The ooni of ife and the oba of benin had the major support, the ooni is believed to be the true son of Oduduwa by the yoruba people, the oba of benin on the otherhand, use to have sovereignty over a large part of yorubas who the monarchs still regard him as thier superior king, the alafin oyo didnt really gain much support than these two, on both tales told by the oba of benin and the ooni of ife alafin remained third, from the oba of benin angle on the tales(myth) of Oduduwa he remained first same for the ooni vise-versa
The alafin had is own support for the oba of benin, egharevba the first benin historian had wrote his story to fit the oba narrative but he was intercepted by the only printing press in ibadan, (ibadan printing press)
Knowing egharevba motives he was asked to go back to rewrite his story to feature ife as the head which he complied to inother to move in his acedemical studies, the oba plan later didn't succeed he wasn't having enough political power to back him his plans, awolowo had taken side with the ooni , although he was in the western region the oba benin was not recognized as a yoruba man this allowed tribalism play-in against the oba of benin. The olu of itsekiri was later elevated as the olu of warri because of the yoruba ancestory which prompted riot in the then
Western region, the oba failed plot was associated with the edos been marginalized by the yoruba people, the yoruba knowing the oba of benin was alien to ancestory of Oduduwa proomted the constant marginalization, Oduduwa ancestory was unique to the yorubas alone the oba of benin happened to join in for his political gain, if he had succeeded he would have been the topmost ruler of the western region

Both the oba of benin and the ooni of ife conspiracy traces Oduduwa to earlier as the 10c i.e 900yrs ago from the benin dating.....
But if Oduduwa was really the progenitor of the yoruba people he should have existed beyond thousands of years ago to give the population of the entire yoruba people

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 21, 2020
Usorohtheman:

coming from a Christian
So now this is about religion ?
In your maths class, if someone asks you to prove the theorem of Thales.
Do you reply: The theorem of Thales is true because I am a Christian and I believe in Jesus ?
Look, use logics for once.

3 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 21, 2020
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by valirex: 1:04pm On Apr 21, 2020
Nice write-up

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Edeyoung: 1:33pm On Apr 21, 2020
Great

I hope this have been settled once and for all

I dont want to hear yorubas go and cook up a document with reference to attach benin connections with ife,

I nor wan hear am i know my yoruba people are despirado
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Edeyoung: 1:35pm On Apr 21, 2020
Usorohtheman:

Young man are you feeling insecure about your religion

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Usorohtheman(m): 1:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
Edeyoung:

Young man are you feeling insecure about your religion

It's more than that.
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Edeyoung: 1:54pm On Apr 21, 2020
Usorohtheman:

It's more than that.

Tell me.....
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Usorohtheman(m): 2:34pm On Apr 21, 2020
Edeyoung:

Tell me.....

It's just making me to think widely.
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Edeyoung: 2:47pm On Apr 21, 2020
Usorohtheman:

It's just making me to think widely.

Lol,

You go soon loose faith for your religion my hand nor dey ooh,

I believe in every story there is a truth underneath
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by Usorohtheman(m): 3:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
Edeyoung:

Lol,

So you believe all religions?
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by macof(m): 4:50pm On Apr 21, 2020
Smh.

First of all, yes some politics have been played with the name of oduduwa
But you don't just create a non existent hero out of nothing. No legend is completely fictional

And this is a common mistake made by many (ignorant yorubas too) who don't realise that..
"Odùduwà" represents two entities
1. The spirit that created the earth
2. The first king of a unified ife

Early historians in their amateurish way of handling African history as if it were like Europe, couldn't separate these entities

I read someone say nothing about oduduwa is attributed to any date... Oh well well, nothing about any pre-colonial African story is attributed to any date
Africans were not date keepers..
At best we could tell how long a person lived or reigned but what year? Come on, that is the highest level of ignorance about African culture and history

What historians do is that we use the method of chronology to "date" historical events, so you would find that the ife civil war between Obatala and Oduduwa is dated to c. 1200

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by macof(m): 4:51pm On Apr 21, 2020
Edeyoung:

Lol,

his question is very valid

You can say oduduwa is myth but you expect us to believe jesus is not a myth?

Colo mentality

3 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by MetaPhysical: 8:54pm On Apr 21, 2020
[s]
gregyboy:

[/s]

Ancient thrones of dynastic roots are mythical. The reason is beacuse they all originated from a Priestly beginning and were thus shrouded in mythical lores.

The currrent European monarchies all took root out of German, which was the bridge between modernity and ancient Romans and Greeks.

If you go to Asia, their monarchies all have mythical beginnings.

If you go to South America, all their monarchies were outcrops of mythical beginnings.

Even Judaism had mythical beginnings in the story of baby Moses.

Jesus had mythical beginnings in the birth.

Muhammed had mythical beginnings in the transformation of his city and kinship.

There is no original monarchy in ancient history that was not birthed out of myths.

If Benin did not have a mythical beginning it will be because it was birthed out of Ife.....and was not an organic Priesthood.

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by gregyboy(m): 9:15pm On Apr 21, 2020
MetaPhysical:
[s][/s]

Ancient thrones of dynastic roots are mythical. The reason is beacuse they all originated from a Priestly beginning and were thus shrouded in mythical lores.

The currrent European monarchies all took root out of German, which was the bridge between modernity and ancient Romans and Greeks.

If you go to Asia, their monarchies all have mythical beginnings.

If you go to South America, all their monarchies were outcrops of mythical beginnings.

Even Judaism had mythical beginnings in the story of baby Moses.

Jesus had mythical beginnings in the birth.

Muhammed had mythical beginnings in the transformation of his city and kinship.

There is no original monarchy in ancient history that was not birthed out of myths.

If Benin did not have a mythical beginning it will be because it was birthed out of Ife.....and was not an organic Priesthood.

Lol.... If only there was a connection

Put your evidence were your mouth lie

We can never have anything to do with the yorubas may god punish awolowo
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by MetaPhysical: 11:38pm On Apr 21, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol.... If only there was a connection

Put your evidence were your mouth lie

We can never have anything to do with the yorubas may god punish awolowo

I said Benin is not an organic priesthood you said I should put forth evidence. On what Priestdom is your monarch authorised (Ase) to wear a crown?

Speak ...

1 Like

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by gregyboy(m): 7:55am On Apr 22, 2020
MetaPhysical:

I said Benin is not an organic priesthood you said I should put forth evidence. On what Priestdom is your monarch authorised (Ase) to wear a crown?

Speak ...

You all are left to defend your claims.......

There is no more arguing in myth, i will keep on opening threads educating people on the politcs behind Oduduwa myth..... Which is the truth

The yorubas on thier part should go into isolation
And be searching for any connections benin had with ife in the precolonial era.......

Awolowo remains a fool, for trying to withhold us in western region......

Yodubas will still open thier useless mouth and call us brothers
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by MetaPhysical: 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
[[s]quote author=gregyboy post=88716597]

You all are left to defend your claims.......

There is no more arguing in myth, i will keep on opening threads educating people on the politcs behind Oduduwa myth..... Which is the truth

The yorubas on thier part should go into isolation
And be searching for any connections benin had with ife in the precolonial era.......

Awolowo remains a fool, for trying to withhold us in western region......

Yodubas will still open thier useless mouth and call us brothers [/quote][/s]

Gregyboy,
All ancient ORGANIC monarchies came out of a priesthood. All of them without exception. That priesthood is tied to a myth with the following characteristics -

Water
Sky
Animal
Earth.

Is Benin monarchy an ORGANIC or a derived dynasty?

If you say it is ORGANIC, what is the theme for its mythical beginning in Priesthood?

This is not hard. Remember you own this thread. grin

1 Like

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by AreaFada2: 9:47pm On Apr 22, 2020
Very interesting.
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by babtoundey(m): 11:58pm On Apr 22, 2020
Once a clown...
Haven't we had enough comedies from you that you are bent on adding another one to the ones on ground.

Ogene came from Zimbabwe, Birnin-Kebbi, Ife, Igala, Nupe, Australia, Japan, Yugoslavia (Just one Oghene o)
Benin got her name from Ishekiri
The title of Benin Paramount ruler has always been "Oba"
There was never Oranmiyan or Ekelardahan
There was Ekalardahan, he came from...
Eweka was brought into Benin from Ughotan
The newest joke- Oduduwa never lived; Oduduwa existence is a conspiracy ploy of Yoruba and Benin Obas to deceive the illustrious sons of Edo.
All the above jokes are facts because thier originator's intuition tells him they are

But how can someone that is ignorant of his own identity, that is confused and indecisive about his own history; that doesn't know how his ancestors came by the name "Benin", that is ignorant of how his people payed homage and prayed to foreign gods like ogun, olokun, ayelala, that doesn't know how his ancestors ignored ogiso dynasty for oba system, that is clueless on how Benin, his Homeland, got the name Benin, that can't provide a convincing and accurate meaning of "Benin" and "oba" in his native language understand, define or shape other people's history and identity?

As usual and expected someone demands how? He demands evidence? Evidence that Oduduwa exist? That we have many people both within and outside Southwest Nigeria that align themselves with Oduduwa and consider themselves as children of Oduduwa is not enough evidence of his existence? That Gregboy, who is neither Yoruba nor their fan of heard of Oduduwa and thinks of denying the existence of Oduduwa existence is not enough evidence that Oduduwa exist; whether in reality, perception or belief?

I guess (to him) his writeup that is vaguely filled with "I think" "I believe" "I observe" and bereft of any sound and logical evidence is good enough to convince the world, including individuals who, all their lives, have studied observed and believe the existence and trtraces of Oduduwa.

Once again, Gregboy, how do you expect us to take you serious? Stop presenting your postulations and baseless claims you scheme in your head as the catholic truth. No sane mind will take you serious.

3 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by gregyboy(m): 8:16am On Apr 23, 2020
babtoundey:
Once a clown...
Haven't we had enough comedies from you that you are bent on adding another one to the ones on ground.

Ogene came from Zimbabwe, Birnin-Kebbi, Ife, Igala, Nupe, Australia, Japan, Yugoslavia (Just one Oghene o)
Benin got her name from Ishekiri
The title of Benin Paramount ruler has always been "Oba"
There was never Oranmiyan or Ekelardahan
There was Ekalardahan, he came from...
Eweka was brought into Benin from Ughotan
The newest joke- Oduduwa never lived; Oduduwa existence is a conspiracy ploy of Yoruba and Benin Obas to deceive the illustrious sons of Edo.
All the above jokes are facts because thier originator's intuition tells him they are

But how can someone that is ignorant of his own identity, that is confused and indecisive about his own history; that doesn't know how his ancestors came by the name "Benin", that is ignorant of how his people payed homage and prayed to foreign gods like ogun, olokun, ayelala, that doesn't know how his ancestors ignored ogiso dynasty for oba system, that is clueless on how Benin, his Homeland, got the name Benin, that can't provide a convincing and accurate meaning of "Benin" and "oba" in his native language understand, define or shape other people's history and identity?

As usual and expected someone demands how? He demands evidence? Evidence that Oduduwa exist? That we have many people both within and outside Southwest Nigeria that align themselves with Oduduwa and consider themselves as children of Oduduwa is not enough evidence of his existence? That Gregboy, who is neither Yoruba nor their fan of heard of Oduduwa and thinks of denying the existence of Oduduwa existence is not enough evidence that Oduduwa exist; whether in reality, perception or belief?

I guess (to him) his writeup that is vaguely filled with "I think" "I believe" "I observe" and bereft of any sound and logical evidence is good enough to convince the world, including individuals who, all their lives, have studied observed and believe the existence and trtraces of Oduduwa.

Once again, Gregboy, how do you expect us to take you serious? Stop presenting your postulations and baseless claims you scheme in your head as the catholic truth. No sane mind will take you serious.

You type out of necessity and hatred

You never one day doubted the history your people told you instead you swallowed it because it feels your narrative to support your ego

Am simply separating the truth from the myth

The yorubas know we were never related thats why they kept marginalizing we binis in the western region
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by babtoundey(m): 9:07am On Apr 23, 2020
gregyboy:

You never one day doubted the history your people told you instead you swallowed it because it feels your narrative to support your ego

The yorubas know we were never related thats why they kept marginalizing we binis in the western region

You just spit out the cause of your man-made Yoruba/Benin history- the suposed marginalisation of your people in the old Western region. Why don't you let it go? You weren't even born then. You are in a new Nigeria, you now have Edo state ruled by the Edos for the Edos. Channel the strength you are using to bastaedise history towards making life better for your kinsmen. This path you are threading will only earn you the title of a bittered and confused Nairaland historian who called his ancestors liars, backstabbers, inconsiderate and greedy lots (judging by this your "our obas conspired with the Yorubas to sell us cheap to and curry favor from the Yorubas)

You that doubted the history your people told you what alternative have your provided? Is "my father said his father said..." a the alternative you want to replace the actual history with?

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by MetaPhysical: 10:58am On Apr 23, 2020
[s]
gregyboy:

[/s]

We said we civilized you Edos. We have never ever said we were related with Edos, never!

You were forest fruit gatherers, we civilized you, taught you to cover your nakyedness with clothes, taught you to worship deities, taught you to be organized, taught you artwork, conquered and gave you a king to rule over you for eternity. The domain of this kingdom we named Ule Ubinu.

The elite rulers of Ubinu are our people. Their slaves, the Edos are not our people.

So learn to get a grip with your roots in the forest and stop claiming Benin. If you claim Benin then you are identifying yourself with roots in Ife, regardless what your anonymous authors tell you. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by BabaRamota1980: 12:07pm On Apr 23, 2020
babtoundey:

You just spit out the cause of your man-made Yoruba/Benin history- the suposed marginalisation of your people in the old Western region. Why don't you let it go? You weren't even born then. You are in a new Nigeria, you now have Edo state ruled by the Edos for the Edos. Channel the strength you are using to bastaedise history towards making life better for your kinsmen. This path you are threading will only earn you the title of a bittered and confused Nairaland historian who called his ancestors liars, backstabbers, inconsiderate and greedy lots (judging by this your "our obas conspired with the Yorubas to sell us cheap to and curry favor from the Yorubas)

You that doubted the history your people told you what alternative have your provided? Is "my father said his father said..." a the alternative you want to replace the actual history with?

He is lying about marginalization in Western region.

There used to be a meeting of Council of Obas in Western Region, which included everything from Ife to Asaba and downward. Western Ibos, Ijaws, Ogoni and many other non-Yoruba allied groups resented that the meeting was observed in line with Yoruba culture and Yoruba deities were invoked exclusively. Which makes sense.
So those ethnic groups were excused. Benin, Itsekiri continued to participate. At the head of the meeting were usually Ooni, Alaafin, Omo n'Oba, Alake, Awujale, Deji. Other kings in the Council were in attendance as floor members. Omo n'Oba had always enjoyed privilege as the paramount king over that part of Western Region which later became MidWest. That is, Benin to Anioma.

After their successful semi-independence from underneath Western cultural influence, the Aniomas (Western Ibo) began an agitation to also separate from Western political influence. They plotted to do so by challenging Omo n'Oba's authority over them. Their take was Benin was acting as a proxy to force Yoruba culture down their throat. Azikiwe lend support and began a campaign of Onitsha and Anioma coming out of Benin. Okpara put pressure on the Aniomans and they in turn put pressure on Benin to searate itself from West. There was an economic advantage in their goal also. This scheme was positioned as an ethnic economic disadvantage. In other words, West was accused of dominating the economic fortunes of non-Yoruba groups in the region. When the pressure mounted, Awolowo had agreed that a minority region be created each from West, East and North as a response to cries of minorities against domination from their majority controlled regions.

Midwest would carve out of West
COR would carve outof East
Middlebelt woyld carve out of North.

Aniomans submitted a call for referendum. Bini agreed. Azikiwe used government power to force it to parliament.

The referendum was passed overwhelmingly with high support from Anioma. It was not unanimous. Opposition to it came from Benin and Warri provinces. Thus began Midwest.

Zik and Bello reneged and never allowed COR and Middlebelt to go to referendum. So only Midwest was created.

That ended the political alignment of Omo n'Oba with his brothers in West. It did not end the cultural tie. The cultural tie was challenged by Omo n'Oba Erediauwa, father of present king. They have been taught following in the footsteps of Aniomans that if they can challenge and win a political grievance, with pressure they can also win a cultural grievance and separate ties of origin to West. So everything you have so far witnessed on internet with Benin questioning their origin in Ife was taught them by Ibos. Prior to 1963 no monarchy or cultural institution in Benin ever denied its origin in Ife.

Soon after Midwest was created Aniomans hijacked the region from Bini and sought to become the mainstream political elite. They succeeded partially. The full success was activated during Biafran war. Biafra sacked the non-Ibo governor of Midwest, replaced him with an Anioman, rigged its flag and renamed the region. They went on propaganda radio and broadcasted that Ibo language will replace Edo language and the citizens of the new republic must start out learning Ibo.

If Biafra had not been dislodged, thanks to Yorubas, gregyboy will today be speaking in kedu odinma and his name will be chinonso.

So all these Edo witches here in Nairaland are following in footsteps of their master, the Aniomans. They are trying to do with culture what they did with politics. Unfortunately for them there is no room for referendum in culture to sever them from their Ife origin. This greatly upsets them. They come online and put their frustration on display, as we have witnessed with this fly-by-night broom rider called gregyboy.

Dont buy into his story of marginalization under Western region. He is echoing the sounds his Anioma master taught them in the 60s and their Omo n'Oba naively accepted.

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by gregyboy(m): 12:26pm On Apr 23, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

He is lying about marginalization in Western region.

There used to be a meeting of Council of Obas in Western Region, which included everything from Ife to Asaba and downward. Western Ibos, Ijaws, Ogoni and many other non-Yoruba allied groups resented that the meeting was observed in line with Yoruba culture and Yoruba deities were invoked exclusively. Which makes sense.
So those ethnic groups were excused. Benin, Itsekiri continued to participate. At the head of the meeting were usually Ooni, Alaafin, Omo n'Oba, Alake, Awujale, Deji. Other kings in the Council were in attendance as floor members. Omo n'Oba had always enjoyed privilege as the paramount king over that part of Western Region which later became MidWest. That is, Benin to Anioma.

After their successful semi-independence from underneath Western cultural influence, the Aniomas (Western Ibo) began an agitation to also separate from Western political influence. They plotted to do so by challenging Omo n'Oba's authority over them. Their take was Benin was acting as a proxy to force Yoruba culture down their throat. Azikiwe lend support and began a campaign of Onitsha and Anioma coming out of Benin. Okpara put pressure on the Aniomans and they in turn put pressure on Benin to searate itself from West. There was an economic advantage in their goal also. This scheme was positioned as an ethnic economic disadvantage. In other words, West was accused of dominating the economic fortunes of non-Yoruba groups in the region. When the pressure mounted, Awolowo had agreed that a minority region be created each from West, East and North as a response to cries of minorities against domination from their majority controlled regions.

Midwest would carve out of West
COR would carve outof East
Middlebelt woyld carve out of North.

Aniomans submitted a call for referendum. Bini agreed. Azikiwe used government power to force it to parliament.

The referendum was passed overwhelmingly with high support from Anioma. It was not unanimous. Opposition to it came from Benin and Warri provinces. Thus began Midwest.

Zik and Bello reneged and never allowed COR and Middlebelt to go to referendum. So only Midwest was created.

That ended the political alignment of Omo n'Oba with his brothers in West. It did not end the cultural tie. The cultural tie was challenged by Omo n'Oba Erediauwa, father of present king. They have been taught following in the footsteps of Aniomans that if they can challenge and win a political grievance, with pressure they can also win a cultural grievance and separate ties of origin to West. So everything you have so far witnessed on internet with Benin questioning their origin in Ife was taught them by Ibos. Prior to 1963 no monarchy or cultural institution in Benin ever denied its origin in Ife.

Soon after Midwest was created Aniomans hijacked the region from Bini and sought to become the mainstream political elite. They succeeded partially. The full success was activated during Biafran war. Biafra sacked the non-Ibo governor of Midwest, replaced him with an Anioman, rigged its flag and renamed the region. They went on propaganda radio and broadcasted that Ibo language will replace Edo language and the citizens of the new republic must start out learning Ibo.

If Biafra had not been dislodged, thanks to Yorubas, gregyboy will today be speaking in kedu odinma and his name will be chinonso.

So all these Edo witches here in Nairaland are following in footsteps of their master, the Aniomans. They are trying to do with culture what they did with politics. Unfortunately for them there is no room for referendum in culture to sever them from their Ife origin. This greatly upsets them. They come online and put their frustration on display, as we have witnessed with this fly-by-night broom rider called gregyboy, MelesZenawi

Dont buy into his story of marginalization under Western region. He is echoing the sounds his Anioma master taught them in the 60s and their Omo n'Oba naively accepted.

You twisted truth into lies

You still haven't brought the ife-benin connections to support your claims there was really a connection between both parties
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by gregyboy(m): 12:31pm On Apr 23, 2020
Untill yorubas bring an archeological evidence or a written document of European account showing benin and ife had an ecounter at one point, but until i reserve my comments

I will wait them till they rant with tears

If Europeans could record all yorubas we encountered then ife shouldnt be the one to miss out particularly when our oba heads were buried in ife........

MelesZenawi you are igbo you should be a goid mediators for this topic you can helo me appeal to our yoruba brothers for proves of all this
Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by TAO11(f): 4:28pm On Apr 25, 2020
gregyboy:
Untill yorubas bring an archeological evidence or a written document of European account showing benin and ife had an ecounter at one point, but until i reserve my comments

I will wait them till they rant with tears

If Europeans could record all yorubas we encountered then ife shouldnt be the one to miss out particularly when our oba heads were buried in ife........

MelesZenawi you are igbo you should be a goid mediators for this topic you can helo me appeal to our yoruba brothers for proves of all this

2 Likes

Re: The Politcs Behind Oduduwa Myth by gregyboy(m): 4:44pm On Apr 25, 2020
TAO11:

That artwork was stolen from owo and not ife

Owo princes used to come to the oba of benin palace to be trained the art of kingship

That is a 14century artwork, Benin and ife made contact in d 9c only

That artwork can't be tagg ooni of ife almost all yorubas kings dresses in that same regalia and not just The ooni of of ife.......

The crown is different from the crown from the ife artwork but similar with the owo crown

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Igbos Outside South Eastern States Never Want To Identify With The Igbos. / Photos: After A Traditional Naked Virgins Pageant, A Swaziland King Picks An 18y / Loogun-ede/ologun-ede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.