Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,386 members, 7,971,407 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 09:29 AM

Rugby Legend Tackles COVID-19 Mental Health - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rugby Legend Tackles COVID-19 Mental Health (209 Views)

Pitch Invader Ran On The Pitch, Chile Player Tackles Him, Suarez Ran To Referee / Rugby Of Zimbabwe Sleep In The Streets In Tunisia (Photos) / Garba Lawal Tackles Rohr Over World Cup List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rugby Legend Tackles COVID-19 Mental Health by Tenny93: 3:41pm On Apr 21, 2020
After years battling his own demons, All Black legend John Kirwan is attempting to help fellow Kiwis struggling through COVID-19 lockdown by releasing a mobile phone app he calls "a mental wellbeing coach in your pocket".

The World Cup winning winger broke one of sport's great taboos after a stellar international career when he revealed his struggles with depression, helping explode the myth that on-field glory equates to happiness off the pitch.

Former All Black John Kirwan has been candid about his struggles with depression

"I had medical depression, I was on anti-depressants -- I wanted to jump out of a window one night," Kirwan told AFP in a telephone interview.

"I've got learned experience in this space."

Such is Kirwan's passion for speaking out about mental health that when he was knighted in 2012 it was his pioneering advocacy, not his exploits in a black jersey, that earned him the award.

After writing two memoirs on the topic, Kirwan has in recent years devoted himself to a more hi-tech means of communication, a mobile phone app called Mentemia.

The app uses personality tests and cognitive games to build up a picture of the user and provide tips for reducing stress.

These include breathing techniques, mood tracking, action plans for boosting mental wellbeing or simple reminders to take some time out during a busy day.

While . . . continue reading @ https://sportinglife.ng/rugby-legend-tackles-covid-19-mental-health/

(1) (Reply)

National League Clubs Vote To Cut Short Season / Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Tom Brady And Peyton Manning To Play Golf Match / Govt Wants Premier League Back 'as Soon As Possible'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.