Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,528 members, 7,968,492 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 08:21 AM

Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan (771 Views)

Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan / Aftermath Of Elections: I Hope Patience Would Not Divorce Me - Jonathan / You Can’t Threaten Me, Jonathan Tells Northern Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by ifeci: 10:07am On Jan 07, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan has told an Abuja High Court that any attempt to stop him from contesting the 2011 presidential election on the platform of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) would amount to an infringement on his fundamental rights under the constitution.

He made the submission as the court has fixed Monday January 10 to deliver judgment in the suit filed by some aggrieved chieftains of the party seeking to stop him from contesting the presidential election on the grounds that the presidency has been zoned to the North.

This was the content of a preliminary objections filed by counsel to the president Jonathan, Chief Alex Izinyon [SAN] praying the court to strike out the suit brought by Ambassador Yahaya Kwande, Hon. Dubem Onyia and Alhaji Lawal Kaita, all card-carrying and financial members of the ruling party.

In the suit, the PDP chieftains had asked the court to restrain PDP and its National Chairman, Chief Okwesileze Nwodo from presenting President Jonathan as their candidate for the April 2011 presidential election. They are also seeking an order of the court barring the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from accepting President Jonathan as PDP’s presidential candidate for the 2011 presidential election.

But moving their objections, the defence counsel collectively attacked the competence of the action and urged the court to dismiss the suit in its entirety for lacking in merit. Specifically, Izinyon told the court that his client, like any other Nigerian, has the constitutional rights to contest as president by virtue of section 42 [1] of the 1999 constitution adding that anything to the contrary was an infringement on his right.
He urged the court to hold that the suit having been predicated upon Article 7.2 [c] of the party’s constitution is caught up by the principle of issues estopel as a competent court of coordinate jurisdiction had earlier delivered judgment on a similar suit.

In addition, he submitted that granting the request of the plaintiffs would create judicial anarchy and throw the court into disrepute. On his part, counsel to the PDP, Chief Joe-Kyari Gadzama [SAN] argued that the suit itself was an abuse of court as another court has already taken a decision on a similar suit.
Gadzama said the Plaintiffs lack the requisite legal standing to institute or sustain the action in law, noting also that there was no reasonable cause of action that lies against the party.

Gadzama, who described the plaintiffs’ suit as an abuse of court process said the issue of nominating or electing who should be a party’s presidential candidate is an intra-party matter for which the PDP has various administrative and legal mechanisms, which are yet to be exhausted by the Plaintiffs . He argued that the exhaustion of these administrative and legal mechanisms constitutes a condition precedent before legal action can be commenced.

“The action is premature, non-justiciable and this honourable court is functus officio having determined the same issue in an earlier suit (SUIT NO FCT/CV/2425/2010 (SANI AMINU DUTSINMA -V- PDP & ANOR). The action ought to have been commenced by a Writ of Summons,” the party stated.
A four-paragraph affidavit in support of the preliminary objection, averred that PDP’s Constitution stipulates that aggrieved members of the party must exhaust all its remedies as provided before resorting to litigation, adding that it is an offence punishable by disciplinary actions for its members to side-step these remedies and proceed to court.

Counsel to Nwodo and National Legal adviser to the party, Olushola Oke who submitted that as a sitting president, Jonathan has the constitutional right to contest for second term. He said stopping Jonathan from contesting the presidential election would be tantamount to disqualifying him from the race on account of zoning, which he argued, was not a ground for disqualification under section 137 of the constitution
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Nobody: 10:14am On Jan 07, 2011
What a misleading subject
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Nsiman(m): 10:59am On Jan 07, 2011
As far as the 1999 constitutn is concern, gej can't be disqualified
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Blackteeth(m): 11:15am On Jan 07, 2011
If actually PDP had a serious zoning aggreement, I think GEJ should be stopped from contesting. But what if this breach of the zoning aggreement was benefitting the north, would they still aggree to stick to the zoning formula?
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Blackteeth(m): 11:20am On Jan 07, 2011
I thought the thread topic mearnt that nobody can stop GEJ from getting elected in the up coming election. That would have been a clear message of a rigging intention.
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by otokx(m): 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2011
Misleading headline
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by maga1: 5:41pm On Jan 07, 2011
This is my problem with pdp leaders & GEJ. They r all greedy. GEJ shld have simply decamped 2 anoda party & contest but he is feeling like one OBJ tryin 2 tell dem no one can touch him. Since he entered aso rock as the C in C he has done nothing tangible dat will make us vote him. Rather, when u watch useless NTA all you will see is "association of yam sellers have endorsed GEJ, witches & wizards have also endorse GEJ and the list goes on" IMO i dnt think GEJ knows wat he is doin and also Bleep Atiku the theif. PDP must go.

Naija sai CPC sai igwe,oba,sarki BUHARI smiley
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 07, 2011
Al-Qaeda might try grin grin grin grin
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Zab: 6:12pm On Jan 07, 2011
PLEASE WHY CAN'T WE BE OBJECTIVE . IS GEJ NOT A NIGERIAN? ZONING OR NO ZONING, HE IS ELIGIBLE TO CONTEST . THE MAN IS JUST EXERCISING HIS FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT.

THE PEOPLE THAT ARE CLAMORING FOR ZONING MUST TELL NIGERIANS WHY THE LIKES OF GEMADE AND LATE ABUBAKAR RIMI WERE ALLOWED TO CONTEST AGAINST OBJ. ALLOW PDP DELEGATES TO MAKE THEIR CHOICE.

ATIKU IS A VERY DESPERATE POLITICIAN TRYING TO BE THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA. HE SHOULD BE THANKING GOD THAT PDP EVEN GRANTED HIM WAIVER.
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by jason123: 6:16pm On Jan 07, 2011
frosbel:

Al-Qaeda might try grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by safariman(m): 6:24pm On Jan 07, 2011
The judge's ruling would come after GEJ has finished his second term
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Kobojunkie: 6:27pm On Jan 07, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan has told an Abuja High Court that any attempt to stop him from contesting the 2011 presidential election on the platform of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) would amount to an infringement on his fundamental rights under the constitution.

Smooth one to play after you also agreed to be subject to the PDP Constitution which stipulates that zoning agreements must be honored within the party, and you took good advantage of that when installing your own "men" in the party.
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Becomrichn: 6:28pm On Jan 07, 2011
hhmm
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Becomrichn: 6:31pm On Jan 07, 2011
God
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by flexxydan: 6:45pm On Jan 07, 2011
New year promo snd bulksms 1000 units @3k, snd ova 1k fone nums oda services available call 08059213549,ping 254F057E,kindly forward,buz only!
Re: Presidency: Nobody Can Stop Me –jonathan by Dede1(m): 6:48pm On Jan 07, 2011
Both the post and its heading are not only misleading but intellectually dishonest. The constitution had granted “every qualified Nigerian” the privilege to contest election in Nigeria. However, this privilege must satisfy the provision under section 131C. Of course, GEJ could be stop from contesting presidency under the platform of PDP if the party kicks GEJ out of the PDP for anti-party activities.

(1) (Reply)

Wikileaks - Cable: Nigerian President Had Kidney Transplant / Us Black Billionaire Opens Luxury Hotel In Liberia / Nass Election Now Saturday April 9th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.