Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,256 members, 7,880,971 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:12 AM

Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do (1057 Views)

Now That A General Was Killed In Abaji, Will The Army Lockdown The Village / The Only Thing Govt Can Do Is Either Arrest Me Or Assassinate Me - Aisha Yusufu. / Lockdown: The Rice Given To Alimosho LGA Residents To Stay At Home (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by inforesource: 3:18pm On Apr 23, 2020
I heard governors agreed on 14 days nationwide lockdown. I hope these guys think deeply before arriving at decisions?

Honestly, it is painful to see how our leaders are so reactive. Did they know some states have spent almost 4 weeks staying at home? Are they aware that people are very hungry? Are they aware that with the way things are going the situation can cause a virus that can be more devastating than the corona virus they are trying to fight?
Government should stop being reactive. They should be more proactive.

The truth is that Nigeria does not have capacity to fight this virus because before now there was no preparations. And we should not pretend as if we know what we are doing. A country without solid citizens database. No clue on how many we are. Forming to distribute parliative. Who are they fooling?

This corona virus pandemic is like a teacher who enters his/her class n without prior notice of test, ask students to tear a sheet of paper and get ready for test. If you are familiar with this scenario in school you will agree with me that it is only those students who often studies their books will pass in such test.

Having said that, what should our government do?

(1) Partial unlocking of economy activities with strict conditions: Wearing of mask, a must n maintaining good distance in buses, keke, etc

(2) Days to work: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays should be work days.

(3) Aggressive testing at least minimum of 1000 test a day in all states. What this means is that every state must have at least 1 test centre.

(4) Market should not be open rather, schools compound should be used as market place. Meaning every school in the local govt is a market. This will reduce congestion.

(5) Banks should be opened but just to attend to very very important cases. For me I don't know why people still go into banking hall for transactions. We have passed that age. Banks should educate their customers on how to use electronic banking system securely.

(6) Add your own.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by Adjovi: 3:26pm On Apr 23, 2020
And when the banks go into total electronic banking, more workers will be fired and the unemployment and hunger cycle continues
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by inforesource: 6:19pm On Apr 23, 2020
Adjovi:
And when the banks go into total electronic banking, more workers will be fired and the unemployment and hunger cycle continues

Why are we afraid of this reality? Not accepting this is like postponing the evil days. For me I do not see anything scary here. We should wake up as a people.
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Apr 23, 2020
inforesource:
Having said that, what should our government do?

(1) Partial unlocking of economy activities with strict conditions: Wearing of mask, a must n maintaining good distance in buses, keke, etc

(2) Days to work: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays should be work days.

(3) Aggressive testing at least minimum of 1000 test a day in all states. What this means is that every state must have at least 1 test centre.

(4) Market should not be open rather, schools compound should be used as market place. Meaning every school in the local govt is a market. This will reduce congestion.

(5) Banks should be opened but just to attend to very very important cases. For me I don't know why people still go into banking hall for transactions. We have passed that age. Banks should educate their customers on how to use electronic banking system securely.

(6) Add your own.

I think in your wisdom,you completely skated over and past the reasons for the lockdowns we see in many places around the world today. It is to help prevent the spread of Coronavirus. Any easing of restrictions should come AFTER the spread has been properly contained, not during or before. grin grin
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by inforesource: 9:45pm On Apr 23, 2020
Kobojunkie:

I think in your wisdom,you completely skated over and past the reasons for the lockdowns we see in many places around the world today. It is to help prevent the spread of Coronavirus. Any easing of restrictions should come AFTER the spread has been properly contained, not during or before. grin grin

Please do not compare us with those organised and well structured countries. I did not skate over the reason why we are in lockdown. What I am saying is that the worst is about to happen if Nigeria govt does not apply home-grown solutions peculiar to her structure and economic realities.

Maybe you are staying in Aso Rock, I am not. We are not sleeping. People go about with POS to rob now. We should be ready for social unrest. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by Adjovi: 11:19am On Apr 24, 2020
inforesource:

Why are we afraid of this reality? Not accepting this is like postponing the evil days. For me I do not see anything scary here. We should wake up as a people.

If the government plays their part by providing jobs in every sector, then we don't need to worry about innovations. For now no alternatives so it's a bag idea.
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On Apr 24, 2020
inforesource:

Please do not compare us with those organised and well structured countries. I did not skate over the reason why we are in lockdown. What I am saying is that the worst is about to happen if Nigeria govt does not apply home-grown solutions peculiar to her structure and economic realities.

Maybe you are staying in Aso Rock, I am not. We are not sleeping. People go about with POS to rob now. We should be ready for social unrest. A word is enough for the wise.

You have a pandemic of the kind that you have never really encountered to date, and rather than act as you see others acting in hopes that it will buy you time you need to come with a solution of your own, , you choose instead to do nothing until you come up with a home-grown solutions of your own? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by Kobojunkie: 4:15pm On Apr 24, 2020
Adjovi:
If the government plays their part by providing jobs in every sector, then we don't need to worry about innovations. For now no alternatives so it's a bag idea.

Technically, it is not the government that ought to provide jobs for you and your children. What government can really do is create opportunity for people to create jobs for themselves really.
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by PureGoldh(m): 4:43pm On Apr 24, 2020
Bros...that ur number 4 and 5 dey somehow.

Review and modify it
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by inforesource: 5:16pm On Apr 24, 2020
Kobojunkie:

You have a pandemic of the kind that you have never really encountered to date, and rather than act as you see others acting in hopes that it will buy you time you need to come with a solution of your own, , you choose instead to do nothing until you come up with a home-grown solutions of your own? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

To be frank, I can not understand your point.
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by Adjovi: 6:36pm On Apr 24, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Technically, it is not the government that ought to provide jobs for you and your children. What government can really do is create opportunity for people to create jobs for themselves really.

Well true. But not only opportunities, they should provide jobs as well.
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by Tianamen1: 7:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
Nigeria has a long way to go.

Imagine you are coaching a football match and your opponent is inside your 18.

Do you tell your midfielders and strikers to sprint towards the other goal post or do you tell everyone to come back to defend against a goal.

Do you know how long your opponent would remain inside your 18?

Do you listen to your players complains that they are tired of defending and feel like running even though they have not collected the ball?

If you have to keep all your players for the remaining minutes on defense, would you do this?

Soludo's essay though enlightening is basically telling us not to defend our goal post(human lives) but rather seek opportunities(making business out of covid19) to attack our opponent even though we have not collected the ball (gained control over the spread of the disease).

Nigeria is currently suffering from two crisis. 1 not predictable, hence not the government's fault and the other squarely the government's lack of preparations for disasters.

In 2008, the world economy was facing a credit crunch which led to a global recession. Nigeria had a lot of money in our excess crude accounts so our citizens did not feel any negative impact.

In 2016, Nigeria had a recession. The president was advice's to cut down the size of the federal civil service and increase taxation. The government was also advised to focus its development efforts on the provision of healthcare and quality basic education but as Nigerians our leaders chose the path of local "solutions" to problems every successful country has already tackled.

Economist have long known that oil prices are affected by business cycles of the united states, implying that once America has a recession Nigeria will face economic issues. The US typically has recessions every 8 years, so our government cannot tell us they did not anticipate a collapse in oil prices.

Now finally to answer your question. A vast majority of Nigerians chose between electing Buhari and Atiku. This is the consequence.

If Nigerians go out for business, the only people that would make money a morgue owners. When the sickness really starts, no doctors or nurses would be available as no one would want to die for nothing. The survival rates of this disease varies across different countries. We are lucky we have sunlight which reduces the spread. At the same time we are unlucky we have a highly dense population living in close proximity as this encourages the spread.

Until we as a people operate on merit and vote in the most educated and competent leaders, this country is moving nowhere. Goodluck
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by inforesource: 9:15pm On Apr 24, 2020
Tianamen1:
Nigeria has a long way to go.

Imagine you are coaching a football match and your opponent is inside your 18.

Do you tell your midfielders and strikers to sprint towards the other goal post or do you tell everyone to come back to defend against a goal.

Do you know how long your opponent would remain inside your 18?

Do you listen to your players complains that they are tired of defending and feel like running even though they have not collected the ball?

If you have to keep all your players for the remaining minutes on defense, would you do this?

Soludo's essay though enlightening is basically telling us not to defend our goal post(human lives) but rather seek opportunities(making business out of covid19) to attack our opponent even though we have not collected the ball (gained control over the spread of the disease).

Nigeria is currently suffering from two crisis. 1 not predictable, hence not the government's fault and the other squarely the government's lack of preparations for disasters.

In 2008, the world economy was facing a credit crunch which led to a global recession. Nigeria had a lot of money in our excess crude accounts so our citizens did not feel any negative impact.

In 2016, Nigeria had a recession. The president was advice's to cut down the size of the federal civil service and increase taxation. The government was also advised to focus its development efforts on the provision of healthcare and quality basic education but as Nigerians our leaders chose the path of local "solutions" to problems every successful country has already tackled.

Economist have long known that oil prices are affected by business cycles of the united states, implying that once America has a recession Nigeria will face economic issues. The US typically has recessions every 8 years, so our government cannot tell us they did not anticipate a collapse in oil prices.

Now finally to answer your question. A vast majority of Nigerians chose between electing Buhari and Atiku. This is the consequence.

If Nigerians go out for business, the only people that would make money a morgue owners. When the sickness really starts, no doctors or nurses would be available as no one would want to die for nothing. The survival rates of this disease varies across different countries. We are lucky we have sunlight which reduces the spread. At the same time we are unlucky we have a highly dense population living in close proximity as this encourages the spread.

Until we as a people operate on merit and vote in the most educated and competent leaders, this country is moving nowhere. Goodluck

@Tianamen1, well said, but what option do we have now? My mum has a very popular quote which says, "You use the energy in your stomach to carry the heavy load in your head." To shade light in this, what it means is that a hungry man can not think straight. If more than half of your population is hungry what do you think will happen in such country?

Government should think creatively or better still start holistic sharing of cash and food to her citizens. The time bomb will not go off we pray.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by roqrules04(m): 10:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
All schools resumption should be September,

Face masks law should be enforced all over the country,

Work days should be reduced from 5days to 3days,

FG should get all citizens home address from the Electricity distribution company so palliatives can be distributed to at least 80% citizens ( awon werey will never do this undecided)
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by inforesource: 7:58am On Apr 25, 2020
PureGoldh:
Bros...that ur number 4 and 5 dey somehow.

Review and modify it
Grammatically or points wise?
Re: Lockdown: The Wise Thing Govt Should Do by inforesource: 3:15pm On Apr 26, 2020
Is like the government is still clueless on which option to enforce in this COVID wahala.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Air Force Trains Flight Nurses. (photos) / Kemi Olunloyo Attacks IPOB Again / Over 350 Jihadist Fulani Camps Found In Igbo Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.