Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,245 members, 7,880,916 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:11 AM

Should The DSS Be Abolished To Prevent Human Rights Abuses? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The DSS Be Abolished To Prevent Human Rights Abuses? (238 Views)

Should Our Languages And Customs Be Abolished To Make The Interior Ibos More Co / State Of Origin Requirement Should Be Abolished - Okey Bakassi / How Sowore Was Manhandled And Re-Arrested By The DSS (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The DSS Be Abolished To Prevent Human Rights Abuses? by akinelli: 10:56pm On Apr 24, 2020
Hello, I saw a video awhile ago and I couldn't believe it! I never knew the DSS had this kind of history. What do you think should be done about it? Should citizens protest to abolish it? I'm honestly not sure that would even work. What are your thoughts?

(Here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2DExagbQQQ )
Re: Should The DSS Be Abolished To Prevent Human Rights Abuses? by gidgiddy: 12:19am On Apr 25, 2020
I dont think that DSS should be abolished, every country needs a 'secret police' that gathers intelligence to safe guard the internal and external security of the country.

What needs to be done is a total reorientation of the entire security forces to follow the rule of law and observe human rights.

To be honest, in terms of human rights abuse, the DSS ranks low. Other security forces such Navy, Army and Police commit far worse human rights abuse on people on a daily basis.

Human rights record is one of the major index to judge a progressive country. Unfortunately, Nigeria is far from being a progressive country

2 Likes

Re: Should The DSS Be Abolished To Prevent Human Rights Abuses? by slimfit1(m): 12:30am On Apr 25, 2020
They are the most useless government department at the moment. We pay for people who careless about professionalism and patriotism to the country.
They can't tell you where Shekaru is but can pick up innocent people when a local police could have done that easily. They have never provided one single intelligence since I've know them.

1 Like

Re: Should The DSS Be Abolished To Prevent Human Rights Abuses? by Lipscomb(m): 12:37am On Apr 25, 2020
They are still better than police by far... They can't scrap them they can only reform them and they have discipline than any government security agency in Nigeria.

And for the police government should disarm them its not necessary that they carry gun...give them stick and see police start use their sense.
Re: Should The DSS Be Abolished To Prevent Human Rights Abuses? by Emmanuelhector(m): 2:48am On Apr 25, 2020
Start with Sars.. #EndSars
Re: Should The DSS Be Abolished To Prevent Human Rights Abuses? by Nostradamus: 11:34pm On Apr 25, 2020
I don't know their function.just duplication of duty among the several law enforcement agencies we have.

(1) (Reply)

Gave Sanitiser And Mask To Those Owing Me, B4 I Hear Stories – Dino Melaye / Governor Of Ekiti State Orders 50% Salary Cut Of All Political Appointees / Opinion: Nigerians Are The Problem, Not Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.