Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,167 members, 7,880,646 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:37 PM

Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment (39139 Views)

Togo President, Faure Gnassingbe Abolishes Presidential Election / Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty / Six Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by omonnakoda: 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2020
Whyem15:
Good, but when will they abolish monarchy and move to democracy? Or when will they stop sawing people to bits in their embassy, or when will they stop jailing activist, or when will they stop blowing yemeni school bus and starving the yemeni people?
The crown Prince's has been decieving the word with the sham he calls reforms so that he will be accepted and supported by people all around the world. For close to five years now, he has only allowed women to drive, allowed women to enter stadiums and allowed abolished flogging. If he is serious about reforms, he would have released the thousands of political prisoners he jailed because they dared to criticise him. He would have stopped the war in yemen and he would have renounced monarchy and called for elections. He should stop being an hypocrite.
Laws are changed by Parliaments or popular referendums in the "civilised" countries he is pretending to emulate, not by a de facto leader. We will never know the public opinion of the saudi people but thousands of people who hates other people and see other peoples' cultures will come here to masturbate.
Why must they move to democracy because the white man says so?
What is so special about democracy?
India has been democratic since independence how has it helped them ?

2 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by hgnbello(m): 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2020
Hmmmm. Intrersting.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by Quality20(m): 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2020
Gradually they may even become westerners when over- westernisation finally catches up with them. I just hope they don't change the Qur'an or turn the mecca holy mosques to museums
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by apex7752: 4:24pm On Apr 25, 2020
[color=#] 4031655[/color]
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by j1mmy: 4:24pm On Apr 25, 2020
but not beheading

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by gaskiyamagana: 4:25pm On Apr 25, 2020
fmwise2k:
The Arabians are gradually becoming westernised
What a pity!!!
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by grandstar(m): 4:26pm On Apr 25, 2020
I think it progressive but regressive at the same time.

Saudi isn't the West and as much as many Islamophobes would want to deny, the fear of such punishment as meant some law and order in that country.

An ending of that law may result in an increase in indiscipline and lawlessness. The country may gradually change.

How a government, plainly implicated in the murder of a journalist in a foreign country would be the one to end flogging in the Kingdom of Saud is surprising.

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by Jahwinaboy(m): 4:26pm On Apr 25, 2020
Eddyxx:
Yes somthing needs to be done sir.....hunger is whats killing some
If things are not done to cushion the effects of things in Nigeria. Wish my brothers could for once attack our common enemies (politicians) rather than being tribalistic. We direct and channel our bitterness towards them rulers rather than ourselves. Two weeks from now, people will be reacting cuz hunger go done finish work angry
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by Glink2018(m): 4:26pm On Apr 25, 2020
ogododo:
Saudi Arabia has abolished flogging as a punishment, the supreme court announced, hailing the latest in a series of “human rights advances” made by the king and his powerful son.

Court-ordered floggings in Saudi Arabia — sometimes extending to hundreds of lashes — have long drawn condemnation from human rights groups.

But they say the headline legal reforms overseen by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman have brought no let-up in the conservative Islamic kingdom’s crushing of dissent, including through the use of the death penalty.

The Saudi supreme court said the latest reform was intended to “bring the kingdom into line with international human rights norms against corporal punishment”.

Previously the courts could order the flogging of convicts found guilty of offences ranging from extramarital sex and breach of the peace to murder.

In the future, judges will have to choose between fines and/or jail sentences, or non-custodial alternatives like community service, the court said in a statement seen by AFP on Saturday.

The most high-profile instance of flogging in recent years was the case of Saudi blogger Raif Badawi who was sentenced to 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes in 2014 for “insulting” Islam.

He was awarded the European parliament’s Sakharov human rights prize the following year.

The abolition of corporal punishment in Saudi Arabia comes just days after the kingdom’s human rights record was again in the spotlight following news of the death from a stroke in custody of leading activist Abullah al-Hamid, 69.

Hamid was a founding member of the Saudi Civil and Political Rights Association (ACPRA) and was sentenced to 11 years in jail in March 2013, campaigners said.

He was convicted on multiple charges, including “breaking allegiance” to the Saudi ruler, “inciting disorder” and seeking to disrupt state security, Amnesty International said.

Criticism of Saudi Arabia’s human rights record has grown since King Salman named his son Prince Mohammed crown prince and heir to the throne in June 2017.

The October 2018 murder of vocal critic Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and the increased repression of dissidents at home have overshadowed the prince’s pledge to modernize the economy and society.

(AFP)

https://punchng.com/saudi-arabia-abolishes-flogging-as-punishment/?

Saudi Arabian Is the genesis of the Islamic religion but Nigeria is the Revelation of the Islamic religion.
Muslims in Nigeria know Quran more than Prophet Mohammed. Bunch of fools even when they announced social distance in Saudi, there are some demonic-religious Buffon's here that still want to fight the government.
Thank God the president is a Muslim, probably if he's not, the lockdown could have turned to another thing in Nigeria.
Saudi Arabia is working on how to throw away some of the archaic law in Quran and modernize it to the present-day reality while some fools are fixative on doing irrational things yet they claimed that they are educated

.Tueh.

6 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by gaskiyamagana: 4:27pm On Apr 25, 2020
Jr915:

Nice one from them... mainwhile:

Discover how i made $500 in 2weeks working for a client in USA using Pinterest.

You can also get clients like this using Pinterest.

And for those who will be joining this master class training, I will reveal to you the kind of job I did for my client.

Don't miss this opportunity to earn from home.

Join my master class training on How to sell and get hired on Pinterest:

A step-by-step Guide For Social Brands for Just 1500 only.

At the end of the class you will get:

* Free Ebook on Pinterest for business.

* 24/7 Guidelines on how to setup your Pinterest business account to making your first sales.

Click my signature below to join me on Whatsapp.
SCAM, SCAMING, SCAMMER
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by PremierGuy(m): 4:28pm On Apr 25, 2020
All this is just smokescreen, whilst brutal human rights abuses still goes on
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by apex9274: 4:28pm On Apr 25, 2020
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by Awoo88: 4:29pm On Apr 25, 2020
Until people are free to worship their gods/God, you guys are still backward
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by brownemmanuel43(m): 4:31pm On Apr 25, 2020
That's a country wey get sense, not this useless country. Go to North now, same old shit happening, causing wahala here and their. Without north naija for dey somehow better than now. north is just nonsense.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by gaskiyamagana: 4:31pm On Apr 25, 2020
Glink2018:

Saudi Arabian Is the genesis of the Islamic religion but Nigeria is the Revelation of the Islamic religion.
Muslims in Nigeria know Quran more than Prophet Mohammed. Bunch of fools even when they announced social distance in Saudi, there are some demonic-religious Buffon's here that still want to fight the government.
Thank God the president is a Muslim, probably if he's not, the lockdown could have turned to another thing in Nigeria.
Saudi Arabia is working on how to throw away some of the archaic law in Quran and modernize it to the present-day reality while some fools are fixative on doing irrational things yet they claimed that they are educated

.Tueh.
Slowpoke Sunday school teacher taught you morongalism Sunday school student. If not, quote one of your archaic laws in Quran that is not in the Bible.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by teepayne007(m): 4:32pm On Apr 25, 2020
Pls help me This lockdown is really affecting my family.Pls food items isnt much of my problem Sir/ma. Its my cooking gas i want to refill.. Its #3000. We dont have any money has we live by what we earn daily has a trader.My wife and my two boys including me have been feeding on garri for 2 days now.No one his willing to sell on credit for now and we cant even afford to get a kerosene stove.I will be glad if i can get a help God Bless Name: Afowowe Temitope Phone num: 08024111451 A/C num: 0690833313/ access
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by Nobody: 4:32pm On Apr 25, 2020
This will lead to an increase in unemployment rate , as the floggers will be retrenched lipsrsealed
Bad development lipsrsealed
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by barrypro: 4:33pm On Apr 25, 2020
Good for them
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by domaboy1759: 4:33pm On Apr 25, 2020
When will our aboki learn from this, they should abolish almajiri too
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by uuzba(m): 4:34pm On Apr 25, 2020
decatalyst:

Yes o!

It started with allowing females to drive, go the stadium...now this. I am sure beheading will be abolished soon.

Civilization is finally finding it's roots in that country. I hope the blind and staunch followers get liberated too.
That one is main road abolishing.
They will still flog houseboy and girl.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by wink2015(m): 4:34pm On Apr 25, 2020
ogododo:
Saudi Arabia has abolished flogging as a punishment, the supreme court announced, hailing the latest in a series of “human rights advances” made by the king and his powerful son.

Court-ordered floggings in Saudi Arabia — sometimes extending to hundreds of lashes — have long drawn condemnation from human rights groups.

But they say the headline legal reforms overseen by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman have brought no let-up in the conservative Islamic kingdom’s crushing of dissent, including through the use of the death penalty.

The Saudi supreme court said the latest reform was intended to “bring the kingdom into line with international human rights norms against corporal punishment”.

Previously the courts could order the flogging of convicts found guilty of offences ranging from extramarital sex and breach of the peace to murder.

In the future, judges will have to choose between fines and/or jail sentences, or non-custodial alternatives like community service, the court said in a statement seen by AFP on Saturday.

The most high-profile instance of flogging in recent years was the case of Saudi blogger Raif Badawi who was sentenced to 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes in 2014 for “insulting” Islam.

He was awarded the European parliament’s Sakharov human rights prize the following year.

The abolition of corporal punishment in Saudi Arabia comes just days after the kingdom’s human rights record was again in the spotlight following news of the death from a stroke in custody of leading activist Abullah al-Hamid, 69.

Hamid was a founding member of the Saudi Civil and Political Rights Association (ACPRA) and was sentenced to 11 years in jail in March 2013, campaigners said.

He was convicted on multiple charges, including “breaking allegiance” to the Saudi ruler, “inciting disorder” and seeking to disrupt state security, Amnesty International said.

Criticism of Saudi Arabia’s human rights record has grown since King Salman named his son Prince Mohammed crown prince and heir to the throne in June 2017.

The October 2018 murder of vocal critic Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and the increased repression of dissidents at home have overshadowed the prince’s pledge to modernise the economy and society.

(AFP)

Nice move.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by apex5559: 4:36pm On Apr 25, 2020
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by MiddleDimension: 4:36pm On Apr 25, 2020
ogododo:

The October 2018 murder of vocal critic Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and the increased repression of dissidents at home have overshadowed the prince’s pledge to modernise the economy and society.

(AFP)

it is a good thing you no longer do one of the things prescribed in the HOLY BOOK. this shows you can believe that just because it is written does not mean it is good or true. i hope christians can learn from this.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by omonnakoda: 4:38pm On Apr 25, 2020
Flogging and stoning did not start with Islam.
Read the bible
It is funny how Africans cannot think for themselves whether in matters of religion or ethics.

They allow themselves to be programmed by foreign religions and media
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by Musso16: 4:41pm On Apr 25, 2020
So ppl should now go n mess up their country with drugs and all sorts of illicit things right?

decatalyst:

Yes o!

It started with allowing females to drive, go the stadium...now this. I am sure beheading will be abolished soon.

Civilization is finally finding it's roots in that country. I hope the blind and staunch followers get liberated too.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by adenigga(m): 4:42pm On Apr 25, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
Corona don dey reset saudi brain but their brothers in Northern Nigeria still never get brain

You're on point!!!

Ordinary sister coronavirus made a pronouncement that there won't be pilgrimage and everybody complied.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by aoshea18: 4:44pm On Apr 25, 2020
But beheading hasn't been abolished. If I had to pick, I'd keep flogging and abolish beheading. Just saying. They beheaded more than 180 people last year alone.
Re: Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment by Nobody: 4:44pm On Apr 25, 2020
omonnakoda:
I don't see how imprisonments are more humane than flogging. That is just Western cultural narrative. Many people would choose 24 lashes over 24 months in prison even over 24 days lockdown
There is no instance where 24 lashes in an Islamic nation will be equivalent to 24 months behind bars in western societies.
The things people get flogged for in Islamic countries, are not considered crimes in western societies.
The crime that will land you behind bars for 24 months in US, will attract a longer jail term and harsher punishment in Saudi.
Whereas an offence that attracts you 24 lashes of cane in Saudi will not be considered a crime in US.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kenyan Soldiers Give A Thirsty Buffalo Water To Drink (Photos) / 33-Storey Building On Fire In South Korea (Pics, Video) / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.