Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,744 members, 7,875,860 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:49 PM

Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? (8259 Views)

Samuel Okonta And Blood Thirsty Rivers State Politicians. / How Effective Are Lagos Laws To Lagosians(photo) / Most Kidnappers In The South East Are Lagos Returnees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by sbeezy8: 4:14pm On Jan 10, 2011
1) Most if not all indignes Lagosians are MUSLIMS or theyre families were Originally muslims turned into christians. This is A FACT! INFACT SHARIA WAS IN MANY PARTS OF THE WEST, but yoruba muslims had mercy on their christian counterparts.

2) Yoruba people like it like THAT. We are not complaining so why are outsiders so into what yoruba people are doing in their states?

3) THE RELIGOUS CO-EXISTENCE IS ONLY THERE BECAUSE THE GOVERNORS IN THE WEST ARE YORUBA. If the govenor of Lagos state isnt a yoruba than I can GUARANTEE RELIGOUS and ethnic conflict.

For example- the young christian Lady that interrupted Muslim prayers at UI, If she was not yoruba all HE,LL would have broke out. or the Muslim who burned down some churches in ikorodu if they were not yoruba all HE,LL would have broken out and turned in to ethnic crisis OPC against Whoever.

Cause the fact is we ONLY co exist because we ARE YORUBA!

1 Like

Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Katsumoto: 4:19pm On Jan 10, 2011
sbeezy8:

1) Most if not all indignes Lagosians are MUSLIMS or theyre families were Originally muslims turned into christians. This is A FACT! INFACT SHARIA WAS IN MANY PARTS OF THE WEST, but yoruba muslims had mercy on their christian counterparts.

2) Yoruba people like it like THAT. We are not complaining so why are outsiders so into what yoruba people are doing in their states?

3) THE RELIGOUS CO-EXISTENCE IS ONLY THERE BECAUSE THE GOVERNORS IN THE WEST ARE YORUBA. If the govenor of Lagos state isnt a yoruba than I can GUARANTEE RELIGOUS and ethnic conflict.

For example- the young christian Lady that interrupted Muslim prayers at UI, If she was not yoruba all HE,LL would have broke out. or the Muslim who burned down some churches in ikorodu if they were not yoruba all HE,LL would have broken out and turned in to ethnic crisis OPC against Whoever.

Cause the fact is we ONLY co exist because we ARE YORUBA!

You have started with your incendiary remarks; how do you mean by Yoruba muslims had mercy on their christian counterparts? So Yoruba xtians are at the mercy of muslims?

This is 2011; we do not need such remarks and sentiments.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by sbeezy8: 4:45pm On Jan 10, 2011
Katsumoto:

You have started with your incendiary remarks; how do you mean by Yoruba muslims had mercy on their christian counterparts? So Yoruba xtians are at the mercy of muslims?

This is 2011; we do not need such remarks and sentiments.

hhahahahah
Obviously I was kidding. . . . about the mercy part.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by JUO(m): 4:56pm On Jan 10, 2011
they are almost
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by revomind(m): 9:49pm On Jan 10, 2011
Until some people get it into their skulls that religion isn't a factor in south-west politics, these kind of threads will keep popping up. In my immediate family, there's a good mix of different religious leanings. Some are xtian, one is muslim and the majority are non-religious.

I think some people would love a situation where a minority ethnic group would just be awarded the post of Governor or something in Lagos. I've read hilarious posts of some people here claiming Igbos are about 40-50% of Lagos. That percentage added to other ethnities like those from the Delta and the North should give an Igbo man a very good chance innit?

The route we all know and which the law recognises is that any qualified individual who wishes to hold an elective post should seek a party's nomination and if succesful, contest. We detest things like zoning and federal character no matter how necessary around here.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Katsumoto: 10:47pm On Jan 10, 2011
revomind:

[b]Until some people get it into their skulls that religion isn't a factor in south-west politics, these kind of threads will keep popping up. [/b]In my immediate family, there's a good mix of different religious leanings. Some are xtian, one is muslim and the majority are non-religious.

I think some people would love a situation where a minority ethnic group would just be awarded the post of Governor or something in Lagos. I've read hilarious posts of some people here claiming Igbos are about 40-50% of Lagos. That percentage added to other ethnities like those from the Delta and the North should give an Igbo man a very good chance innit?

The route we all know and which the law recognises is that any qualified individual who wishes to hold an elective post should seek a party's nomination and if succesful, contest. We detest things like zoning and federal character no matter how necessary around here.

They are aware of that and thats why these topics are cropping up. You will find that the said individuals are disingenuously trying to poison the minds of people in the South-West by high-lighting the religion of the Governors in the West.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ajayij: 11:59pm On Jan 10, 2011
@Op,

Moslems domination of Lagos State/Yoruba politics is a recent phenomenon. The earlier politicians from the SW were xtians like Awolowo, Akintola, TOS Benson, Akinjide, Bola Ige Abraham Adesanya etc. Infact in the first republic I think every Yoruba politician was a xtian probably because the christians were more educated and embraced western education quicker.

Another false statement saying all Lagos State Governors have been Moslems, Sir Michael Otedola ruled Lagos.

In the NRC elections Prof Femi Agbalajobi (xtian) and Yomi Edu(Xtian) were deadlocked in the primaries before Michael Otedola(Xtian) picked the ticket and defeated Dapo Sarumi of the SDP another xtian in the elections.

In the SW, I notice that xtians tend to gravitate away from politics towards career professions. Its the general belief that Politics is dirty and most monogamous xtian families wont even allow their children to vote never mind contest
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by reporter1: 12:34am On Jan 11, 2011
ajayij:

@Op,

Moslems domination of Lagos State/Yoruba politics is a recent phenomenon. The earlier politicians from the SW were xtians like Awolowo, Akintola, TOS Benson, Akinjide, Bola Ige Abraham Adesanya etc. Infact in the first republic I think every Yoruba politician was a xtian probably because the christians were more educated and embraced western education quicker.

Another false statement saying all Lagos State Governors have been Moslems, Sir Michael Otedola ruled Lagos.

In the NRC elections Prof Femi Agbalajobi (xtian) and Yomi Edu(Xtian) were deadlocked in the primaries before Michael Otedola(Xtian) picked the ticket and defeated Dapo Sarumi of the SDP another xtian in the elections.

In the SW, I notice that xtians tend to gravitate away from politics towards career professions. Its the general belief that Politics is dirty and most monogamous xtian families wont even allow their children to vote never mind contest

Well said. Yoruba people are more united by culture than religion.  To further bolster your point, the second
republic governors under UPN were mainly Christians except for LKJ who is a Muslim.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by isalegan2: 8:23pm On Jan 11, 2011
sbeezy8:

1) Most if not all indignes Lagosians are MUSLIMS or theyre families were Originally muslims . . .

The truth shall set (them) free.  wink

For example- the young christian Lady that interrupted Muslim prayers at UI,

angry Stranger in his Sunday best.

ajayij:

We're talking about Lagos specifically.

Wonderful monogamous christian families like the Obasanjos.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 8:29pm On Jan 11, 2011
isale_gan2:

The truth shall set (them) free.  wink

angry Stranger in his Sunday best.

It seems you have a crush on me, innit? cheesy

Fortunately for you, I am also a Muslim , and a nice guy. I am sure your parents would accept me tori, tese! grin

There is nothing like an emancipated muminat!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by isalegan2: 8:47pm On Jan 11, 2011
fstranger1:

It seems you have a crush on me, innit? cheesy

Whatever helps you get through the day.  I will harass you for as long as I want anytime I want until I am vindicated.  You should think long and hard the next time you decide to abuse someone for no reason.  angry

Seriously though, eeewwww!  cry

There is nothing like an emancipated muminat!

We're all emancipated.  You just don't get it.  cool 

Edited cos I don't want to make Stranger cry.  Plus, I'm only kidding.  Maybe.  smiley
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ajayij: 9:32pm On Jan 11, 2011
isale_gan2:

And mention which prominent Lagos politician of that time was Moslem? Herbert Macauley, Adeniran Ogunsanya or TOS Benson?

Did you see the word "MOST" there?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by bestads(m): 5:21am On Jan 14, 2011
When I started this thread, I specifically Mentioned LAGOS STATE indigens and not the YORUBA RACE,I now see why our youths have been performing poorly in public exams like a lot of you have failed on this topic by explaining scenarios outside of[b] LAGOS STATE INDIGENS[/b].

It shows that people(youths mostly) can not comprehend or understand questions before they start writing the wrong answers.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Lagosboy: 9:57am On Jan 14, 2011
ajayij:

@Op,

Bros get your facts right please, in as much as i dont like this thread and believe it makes no sense. It was Femi Agbalajobi vs Sarumi in the SDP fiasco of 91. Yomi Edu who is a muslim only emerged after the 2 were disqualified and contested against Michael Otedola a chritian.

Lagos indegines are mainly muslims and you need to go to isale eko where i am from to understand what we mean. Almost every southwest family have a mix in terms of religion and we have to treat ourselves with mutual respect. ´The thread is divisive and governance does nopt depend on the religion of the politician as most politicians in Nigeria are thieves anyway.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by isalegan2: 1:45pm On Oct 14, 2011
eku_bear:

Just in case ya'll don't know, @fstranger has a heart of gold. So don't get offended by what he says  wink

What? Where did the love go?  shocked  sad  undecided
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ngozianu(m): 3:42pm On Oct 22, 2011
All Lagos state indigenes are moslems who can go the extra mile of juju,violence etc to be in political office, HOW COME FUNSHO WILLIAMS WAS KILLED
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 06, 2012
jason123:

I'm in uk and a scottish man cannnot be ELECTED as the prime minister of britian (BROWN was appointed not elected).

Edited: Pls, do not get me wrong. Anyone born in lagos is a Lagosian and can contest but he has to have the mentality of yorubas. That is, speak yoruba and act like them (most already do) before people would trust him. If not, there is no point in him contesting.

The following scottish people were elected Britsh PM so that notion that a scottish man cannot be elected PM is wrong

Stuart 1762-1763 (3rd Earl Of Bute)
Hamilton-Gordon 1852-1855 (4th Earl of Aberdeen)
Primrose 1894-1895 (5th Earl of Rosebery)
Balfour 1902-1905
Campbell-Bannerman 1905-1908
Bonar Law 1922-1923
Ramsay MacDonald Jan-Nov 1924
Douglas-Home 1963-1964
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Wadeoye(m): 6:41pm On Nov 06, 2012
bestads: pls no religious bigotry in your replies,we want to know why xtians of lagos origin are not popular in politics.

You guys want to destroy Lagos the same way you have muddled up things at the federal level through religious bigotry?

Forget it, we wont allow it here...
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Wadeoye(m): 6:48pm On Nov 06, 2012
jason123:

Gbam!!! That the only way to avoid insecurity among the yorubas in Lagos. THATS THE REALITY. Thank you!

Stop this trash - a Igbo man governor of Lagos state? It will never happen - Igbo to rule Lagos state? What kind of joke is that? You want to Okijanise Lagos and bring Amadioha to Lagos. Never.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Wadeoye(m): 6:57pm On Nov 06, 2012
ngozianu: All Lagos state indigenes are moslems who can go the extra mile of juju,violence etc to be in political office, HOW COME FUNSHO WILLIAMS WAS KILLED

So, Funsho Williams was killed because he was xtian? This crap must stop otherwise, xtians wont be allowed to smell governorship seat in Lagos even if he is good. Yorubas dont care what your religion is as long as you posses the required leadership qualities. We have followed Awolowo who was a christian and of course Bola Ige who also was a christian - nobody, despite the fact that majority here are muslims, talked about their religion - yes, this is part of the civilization that we have gained here which probably is lacking in other places like the East. Grow up Igbo and allow your religion to reflect in your daily life first before talking about a christian leading Lagos.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by diamondcrownltd(f): 5:39pm On May 12, 2013
this topic was first raised before this one https://www.nairaland.com/1287752/lagos-ever-christain-governor
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by 99cent: 5:20am On Aug 31, 2013
Katsumoto:

They are aware of that and thats why these topics are cropping up. You will find that the said individuals are disingenuously trying to poison the minds of people in the South-West by high-lighting the religion of the Governors in the West.

gbam!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ekiti 2022: Muyiwa Ogunmilade Predicts Landslide Victory For APC / 112,351 Passports Uncollected, Says Immigration / Nigeria To Attract $20bn Investment From UK, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.