Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,576 members, 7,978,914 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 04:52 PM

The Harsh Reality Of The Incognito Mode. It's Not Incognito. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Harsh Reality Of The Incognito Mode. It's Not Incognito. (388 Views)

The Myth And Reality Of The Super Soldiers / 38 Hard-to-believe Predictions That May Soon Be The Reality Of Our World / A Motivational Story Of Harsh Agrawal (shout Me Loud) In Hindi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Harsh Reality Of The Incognito Mode. It's Not Incognito. by defamireck: 9:43am On Apr 29, 2020
I want to share this info with people and help them protect their data.

We often open an incognito tab to do a search that we don't want to record, but do you really know what happens when you use that window incognito?

What does it mean to browse incognito?

When we enter Google incognito and move around the web in this mode, what we're really doing is browsing the internet in such a way that our browser doesn't store any data - or hardly any data - about our navigation. This happens in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari or any other browser that presents an option to browse incognito. Keep in mind that incognito mode only guarantees your privacy on your own computer. If you want to encrypt and protect your connection and the data you send and receive, you'll need to use a VPN.

What is the incognito tab for?

An incognito page is a window where you can access the internet without your browser storing the data you send and receive while using it. In other words, when you open an incognito tab in Chrome, you are giving Chrome an order not to store any of the data that will pass through that tab on your PC or phone. This includes data you enter, as well as data provided by the pages you visit while browsing.

Data entered by the user

While you're in incognito mode, your browser won't store any data you enter, such as passwords, Google searches, addresses visited, or clicks made while browsing. All of these actions are stored when we browse in normal mode and are also collected by a series of cookies designed by different websites to analyze our behavior and offer us, for example, personalized advertising while we browse.

Data offered by the pages visited

The browser will also not store the data offered by the pages we visit while in incognito mode, for example, the images or videos we see, the text we read, and essentially anything that appears on any of the sites. All this data is stored in the browser cache when we use it in normal mode. The browsers save this information to facilitate faster loading of these sites if we visit them again later, so that, after having seen them, they can always be accessed again from your PC or phone, even if they are disconnected. The browser cache, then, is a record of your browsing history and allows third parties with access to your device to know what sites you have been visiting. Incognito mode prevents this because it does not allow any of this data to be stored on your device.

How do I open an incognito tab?

If you want to browse in incognito mode, we're going to show you how to do it in three major browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Safari.

Google Chrome

To open an incognito tab in Google Chrome, all you need is

Click the three dots next to your profile picture to open the drop-down menu.

2. Once there, select the New incognito window option.

You can also open an incognito tab by pressing CTRL + Shift + N.

3. In both options, what will happen is that Chrome will open a new browser window where incognito mode will be activated.

From this window, all the new tabs you add will continue to work in incognito mode, while all the tabs you open in normal Google Chrome mode will continue to work in normal mode.

Firefox

If your browser is Firefox, what you need to do to open a tab in incognito mode is:

1. Open the menu in the upper right corner.

2. Click on the option New private window.

In the same way, you can access Firefox's incognito mode by pressing CTRL + Shift + P at the same time.

Safari

If you're on iOS and you want to open incognito mode from Safari, all you have to do is click the button:

Go to the File tab.

2. Click on the New Private Window option.

As in Google Chrome, the keyboard shortcut for this option is CTRL + Shift + N.

But is the incognito mode really incognito?

This depends. Now that you're familiar with incognito mode, it's time to spin it up a notch. When you use incognito mode, your history will not show any searches you have performed, and any passwords you have entered or sites you have visited will not be stored. However, there is a lot of data that isn't deleted or hidden even though you're browsing in incognito mode according to data security report by https://ip-locations.org/. Let's review them:

What CHANGES in a browser when it's used in incognito mode?

What your browser does differently under incognito mode is:

- Delete the cookies and clear the browsing data after use.
- Do not save the pages you have visited in history.
- Do not show in the history the files you have downloaded. But be careful! Remember that if you have downloaded them manually, these files will still be in the downloads folder on your PC.
- Do not store passwords or auto-complete any information in any form, such as first and last names, addresses, usernames, etc.

What DOES NOT CHANGE in a browser when used in incognito mode?

Despite this, your browser will continue to do the following things normally:

- It will normally display the IP address of your device.
- It will allow pages to store information about your browsing via cookies.
- It will allow your network administrator to access the pages you visit.
- It will not establish an encrypted or more secure connection than in normal mode.

In conclusion

Incognito mode is designed so that your navigation data is not stored on your device when you use it, but only on your device. It does not guarantee any kind of anonymity when you browse the web, as your steps on the net will still be recorded by your internet provider and by each and every website you visit, so be careful! Incognito mode is not really incognito, after all.
Re: The Harsh Reality Of The Incognito Mode. It's Not Incognito. by DrPurple(m): 10:11am On Apr 29, 2020
Educative
Re: The Harsh Reality Of The Incognito Mode. It's Not Incognito. by sweettease(f): 10:18am On Apr 29, 2020
Of course! I use incognito mostly when I have an embarrassing question to ask google, the ones that I'm even ashamed I dont know cheesy and dont want in my search history tongue easier to go incognito than to clear the history after the search.
Used to use VPN when I was in naija to assess foreign websites, now I'm looking for a VPN with naija IP
Re: The Harsh Reality Of The Incognito Mode. It's Not Incognito. by Chuky7(m): 2:32pm On Apr 30, 2020
sweettease:
Of course! I use incognito mostly when I have an embarrassing question to ask google, the ones that I'm even ashamed I dont know cheesy and dont want in my search history tongue easier to go incognito than to clear the history after the search.
Used to use VPN when I was in naija to assess foreign websites, now I'm looking for a VPN with naija IP

Lol don't worry Google doesn't mind sharing your embarrassment

Google "How to wear a bra"

This days I hardly go incognito just don't give a sh*t

(1) (Reply)

Chrome Dark Mode: Here Is How To Turn It On (e Sweet Die) / Top 9 Most Deadly Military Rifle In The World / How To Fix Cox Email Settings Iphone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.