Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,829 members, 7,906,047 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 01:17 AM

Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure (809 Views)

Jeffrey Guterman Seeks $10,000 To ‘Deal With Financial Problems' / Peer Review: AU Rates Nigeria High In Infrastructure, Agric Revolution / Why Nigeria High Commission Building In Ghana Was Demolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by EcoBrick: 9:12pm On May 01, 2020
https://www.economist.com/briefing/2020/05/02/which-emerging-markets-are-in-most-financial-peril

https://elombah.com/economist-rates-nigeria-high-among-66-countries-financial-exposure/

According to The Economist, among the 66 selected emerging countries with financial exposure, Nigeria is number 14 on the list, and second to only to Botswana in Africa.

It published a document listing 66 selected emerging economies ranked on four measures of financial strength.

The standard of rating include:

Public debt % of GDP
Foreign debt 2020
Cost of borrowing, and,
Reserve cover

The ten most favourably disposed include Botswana, Taiwan, South Korea, Peru, Russia, Philippines, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, and China.

Concerning Botswana, an analyst stated:

“Botswana will be at the top; loaded with diamond wealth, only 2.2 million population and the same party in power for 60 years.”

Concerning South Africa, which is 47th on the list, he said:

“In South Africa the struggle becomes more obvious with 58 million [in population] stringent policies on beneficiation.”

Comparing the two countries, he said: “Botswana is the same, you just don’t see it on paper.”

The medium also counted Zambia, Angola, Tunisia, Gabon, Ghana, South Africa, Senegal, Kenya, Ethiopia and Uganda as the top 10 of those in Africa with most difficulties.

Taking into cognizance Ghana, South Africa and Kenya top the list of African countries with most difficulties and comparing them with Nigeria, another analyst said:

“Amazing! Nigeria is not doing badly.”

Yet another said: “Some people would be saddened by this news Nigeria isn’t topping the table of economies in bad shape.”

See the list and standard of rating as captured below in a banner:

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by ibksiv(m): 10:28pm On May 01, 2020
Okay na!
Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by socialmediaman: 10:29pm On May 01, 2020
This is where you commend OBJ and Yar’adua though I’m not a fan of any past or present Nigerian leader. They all destroyed the country!

The tyrant we have now is set to destroy any little progress made by any previous government though!
Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by DontCough: 11:38pm On May 01, 2020
I know Nigeria is filled with hopeless problems but I still believes in her. Nigeria and Nigerians shall experience greatness in the not too distant future.

1 Like

Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by JAMO84: 11:40pm On May 01, 2020
socialmediaman:
This is where you commend OBJ and Yar’adua though I’m not a fan of any past or present Nigerian leader. They all destroyed the country!

The tyrant we have now is set to destroy any little progress made by any previous government though!
Which useless progress obj and his two house boys made?

When he came in, we had two functional refineries, many textile and garment factories, better electricity, Naira was 60 to a dollar, throughout his tenure, oil price was rising everyday. By the time he left, he had killed all the assets listed above, he didn't build any infrastructure, if he did, tell me with proof. His two immediate successors finished the destruction he started, especially Dr Clueless, that one had the worst six years in the history of this planet!!!

I AM DONE TALKING
Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by ashacot: 11:53pm On May 01, 2020
socialmediaman:

You are unbelievable
Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by socialmediaman: 1:23am On May 02, 2020
JAMO84:
Which useless progress obj and his two house boys made?

When he came in, we had two functional refineries, many textile and garment factories, better electricity, Naira was 60 to a dollar, throughout his tenure, oil price was rising everyday. By the time he left, he had killed all the assets listed above, he didn't build any infrastructure, if he did, tell me with proof. His two immediate successors finished the destruction he started, especially Dr Clueless, that one had the worst six years in the history of this planet!!!
I AM DONE TALKING

You mentioned the price of dollar, why not mention that of oil, then tell us what it sold for between 2016 and 2019?

By the way we’re discussing foreign reserves, so focus on that and don’t derail the topic
Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by socialmediaman: 1:24am On May 02, 2020
ashacot:

You are unbelievable

Your point is?
Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by yinchar(m): 1:55am On May 02, 2020
good
Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by Area4Area: 4:18am On May 02, 2020
Waiters and haters will not see this thread, if it's about Nigeria in bad light, they'd have swooped in here to curse Buhari, APC, Tinubu and Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Economist Rates Nigeria High Among 66 Countries With Financial Exposure by babasolution: 6:57am On May 02, 2020
Area4Area:
Waiters and haters will not see this thread, if it's about Nigeria in bad light, they'd have swooped in here to curse Buhari, APC, Tinubu and Nigeria.

tRUE tALK

(1) (Reply)

Timi Frank: Children Of Buhari's Cabal Are Flaunting Luxurious Lifestyle Online / Tinubu Writes On Current APC Crisis / PDP Crisis: Trouble Looms As PDP Group Kicks Against Obaseki’s Fresh Appointment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.