Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,089 members, 7,880,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:42 PM

World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? (7546 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Named UEFA's Best Player For 2013/2014 / Messi, Ronaldo & Ribery For UEFA Best Player Award 2012/2013 / Andres Iniesta 2012 UEFA Best Player (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by rasputinn(m): 3:31am On Jan 11, 2011
(Reuters) - Irrepressible Jose Mourinho added to his collection of titles on Monday when he won the first FIFA Coach of the Year award.

The Portuguese, now with Real Madrid, was given the accolade after leading Inter Milan to a treble of Champions League, Serie A and Italian Cup last season.

He won the poll ahead of two Spaniards, Vicente del Bosque, who led Spain to last year's World Cup, and Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola.

Former Chelsea coach Mourinho, 47, has won the Champions League with two different clubs having previously led Porto to the title.

The new award was organised by FIFA in conjunction with France Football magazine.

http://in.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-54056620110110

It's no longer news,Lio Messi was announced by FIFA as it's best player for year 2010.This is inspite of the fact that Messi had a very dissappointing world cup and did not win the UCL in the year under review.
Some have argued that players like Iniesta,Xavi or Wesley Sneijder performed better than Messi in 2010 and deserved to be given the award.Do you agree with FIFA in their choice of Lio Messi or you disagree,if you do disagree,then who do you think should have won it instead,please do give your reasons
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by rasputinn(m): 4:26am On Jan 11, 2011
Personally I don't,for the reasons adduced above
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by Nobody: 7:29am On Jan 11, 2011
It does not matter what u agree on. He has won it for the 2nd time and nobody will take it away from him. He is even qualified to win more 3 times,cos he is still very young and fantastic. I'm sorry , there isn't anything u can do about it now. MESSI IS THE BEST!!!
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by batiatus(m): 7:38am On Jan 11, 2011
i dont agree wt fifa. Come 2 think of it wat criteria was used? In a world cup year the oustanding players win it so how does messi get it. Pple say messi is more talanted and skilful, if dat was d case cr7 and kaka shld be there. If u look at d past winners it isnt d most talented in d world cup but oustanding dat wins it, dats y cannavaro won it 2006 and ronaldo who didnt play 4 a club but won d world cup wt brazil. 1st milito was ommited later it was sneider. I dont knw wats happninig 2 those pple who vote 4 d world best.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by medjai(m): 10:08am On Jan 11, 2011
Absolutely well deserved. Messi was by miles the best player in the year under review. He was La Liga's top scorer and European Golden Boot winner with 34 goals in 35 matches and also the top scorer in the champions league with 8 goals. He scored 47 goals in all competitions.
He went to the world cup, though he didnt score a goal, he had most shots in the tournament and was also in the running for the Golden Shoe Award. He made 2 assits and also won a man of the match award.
Messi was unarguably the best player in the period under review.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by bisiaet: 11:53am On Jan 11, 2011
He definately deserve it he is good player no doubt about it though am not all that his fan but truth is truth no atter what Messi is good and he deserve it i'm happy for him.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by snowdrops(m): 11:58am On Jan 11, 2011
Messi in 2010 56 goals in 53 matches. Abet this guy is playing football from another planet.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by PurestBoy(m): 12:09pm On Jan 11, 2011
Messi scored more than any player in 2010 and still the leading scorer thoughout the world after the world cup, what more can I say, he deserves it jare
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by showbobo(m): 12:19pm On Jan 11, 2011
Messi is a terrific player but XAVI deserves it IMO. . . . .
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by Intrepid1(m): 12:20pm On Jan 11, 2011
The midget was by far the most impressive player in 2010. Xavi is pretty good, but people pay to see goals and Messi gave them lots of that and more!
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by orbaxy(m): 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2011
Intrepid!:

The midget was by far the most impressive player in 2010. Xavi is pretty good, but people pay to see goals and Messi gave them lots of that and more!

chai!
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by PeeDaVinci: 12:50pm On Jan 11, 2011
The voting for the footballer of the year is a tranparent one
Check the link to see "who voted for who" for the ballon d'or award
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/classic/awards/01/36/25/40/ballondor_award_men_player_finalx.pdf
You should see who our coach (siasia) and captain (yobo) and a nigerian sports journalist (audu samm) voted for
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by zoraro(m): 1:23pm On Jan 11, 2011
Messi is simply head and shoulder above any other player playing football today.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by Ericology(m): 1:40pm On Jan 11, 2011
showbobo:

Messi is a terrific player but XAVI deserves it IMO. . . . .

Only people like you whose minds have been compromised by the mere fact they like certain players would not be able to see that Messi is not playing just Football, He is playing extra terrestrial Football
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by delicious1(m): 1:52pm On Jan 11, 2011
He truly deserved to win that award. And guess what, he's already being tipped to win it for a third time next year. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2995/betting/2011/01/11/2300059/barcelona-star-lionel-messi-already-favourite-for-2011-fifa
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by Kx: 1:54pm On Jan 11, 2011
With united or city contemplating a 25million bid for Busquest,
How I wish Xavi or Iniesta would leave for city or anyother club as well,
lets see how Messi will perform in Barca without Xavi
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by tunyus(m): 2:11pm On Jan 11, 2011
this is complete rubish, hw can a player dat did not score a single goal in the world cup win the world footballer of the year in aworld cup year.
Secondly he did not win the champs league in the year in questn(messi fails to deliver against INTER).
Messi said it before the award dat XAVI or INIESta deserve it more
It is a tradiction in football dat world cup performance will be the yardstik for world footbal.canvaro and ronaldo delima won it because there perfomance in d world cupler of the year
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by happyday: 2:28pm On Jan 11, 2011
i tink he deserve it,no more, hei
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by tunde121oke: 2:42pm On Jan 11, 2011
yes he does
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by Mcleo007(m): 2:52pm On Jan 11, 2011
I believe none of us here knows more than those who voted him as the best. Aside being a fan of Messi,there is no denying it that the guy is hyper-fantastic. And what is the award given for- the best player in the world. Look it at this way:- the boy started his career as an attacking midfielder,operating from the flanks. Between last year and present,Messi has played in more than 3 positions and have been outstandiing in all! He scored five hattricks in the year in review.
And then,u cannot use the performance of his national team to judge his world cup outing. The whole world knws Maradonna is whack and the argentine team performed woefully becos of him. People won't talk of xavi,iniesta if spain didn't win d world cup. Same wiv sneidjer if inter hadn't won d treble. But Messi? He is at d center of every attraction. He's too much!
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by ladej(m): 3:30pm On Jan 11, 2011
Mcleo007:

I believe none of us here knows more than those who voted him as the best. Aside being a fan of Messi,there is no denying it that the guy is hyper-fantastic. And what is the award given for- the best player in the world. Look it at this way:- the boy started his career as an attacking midfielder,operating from the flanks. Between last year and present,Messi has played in more than 3 positions and have been outstandiing in all! He scored five hattricks in the year in review.
And then,u cannot use the performance of his national team to judge his world cup outing. The whole world knws Maradonna is whack and the argentine team performed woefully becos of him. People won't talk of xavi,iniesta if spain didn't win d world cup. Same wiv sneidjer if inter hadn't won d treble. But Messi? He is at d center of every attraction. He's too much!
im not so sure about that, the way FIFA carry out their affairs. i remember a thierry henry being denied top honours on the basis on bombing for france and in the CL, despite being the best player in the world elsewhere. very similar to messi this year.

why cant we use the performance of his national team to judge? why did ronaldo win world player of the year in 2002, despite playing only a handful of games. world cup is the ultimate in football and always will be. FIFA got this wrong. you are clearly biased in saying that ,' People won't talk of xavi,iniesta if spain didn't win d world cup. Same wiv sneidjer if inter hadn't won d treble'. clearly.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by PeeDaVinci: 4:02pm On Jan 11, 2011
ladej:

im not so sure about that, the way FIFA carry out their affairs. i remember a thierry henry being denied top honours on the basis on bombing for france and in the CL, despite being the best player in the world elsewhere. very similar to messi this year.

why cant we use the performance of his national team to judge? why did ronaldo win world player of the year in 2002, despite playing only a handful of games. world cup is the ultimate in football and always will be. FIFA got this wrong. you are clearly biased in saying that ,' People won't talk of xavi,iniesta if spain didn't win d world cup. Same wiv sneidjer if inter hadn't won d treble'. clearly.

I once posted this and I am posting it again with the aim of explainin the votin proccess
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/classic/awards/01/36/25/40/ballondor_award_men_player_finalx.pdf
Each member country of fifa presents 3 representatives (their team captain, their coach and a sports journalist) , each of who votes independently for 3 world best players. Nigeria (Siasia, Yobo and one journalist ) voted too. The document above shows who voted for who - it is an open process, no magomago
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by luvinhubby(m): 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2011
Since inception, tis is the 1st year an MVP in the world cup was not voted world footballer of the year. 1991-Lothar Matteus, 1995-Romario, 1999- Zidane, 2003- Ronaldo Da-Lima, 2007-Fabio Cannavaro. Why was Diego Forlan denied this year?
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by luvinhubby(m): 4:17pm On Jan 11, 2011
When did Europe`s footballer of the year become world footballer or has Europe colonised the whole footballing world?
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by ddippset(m): 5:04pm On Jan 11, 2011
Kx:

With united or city contemplating a 25million bid for Busquest,
How I wish Xavi or Iniesta would leave for city or anyother club as well,
lets see how Messi will perform in Barca without Xavi
WELL MY FRIEND I ADVICE YOU NOT 2 CATCH A HEART ATTACK. NOBODY WILL NOTICE THE GOOD JOBS OF XAVI AND INIESTA WITHOUT A STRIKER WHO WOULDNT WASTE THEIR EXCELLENT PASSES. BESIDES STOP FOOLING YOYRSELF GO AND CHECK 4 YOURSELF. EVEN MESSI HAS MORE ASSISTS THAN XAVI AND INIESTA. STILL THE WIZARDS SCORES GOALS LIKE A MUTHA*****
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by ddippset(m): 5:07pm On Jan 11, 2011
OH! I FORGOT TO MENTION. NO FOOTBALLER BORN OF A WOMAN TODAY SCORES AS MUCH INDIVIDUAL GOALS AS MESSI DOES. ( so stop playing that xavi and iniesta card, u must be a ronaldo fan)
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by ugwolawo: 5:12pm On Jan 11, 2011
Messi is merciless , so wat do think.those guys are doing rubbish in FIFA when Sanni Kaita is there.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by Xfactoria: 5:17pm On Jan 11, 2011
Like Ladej mentioned, this is arrant nonsense. How can FIFA denigrate its own competition so much that it counts for nothing if you were the best playing in it?

This is the first time in 20years (as far back as I know) that the best player in the team that won the world cup will not be crowned the world best. The world cup is always the deciding factor in any year that it is played. Otherwise, Schevchenko or Samuel Eto'o should have been world best in 2006 for outstanding performances for their clubsides that year but Cannavaro won it for being the best player in the Italian squad that won the world cup. This is not fair on Xavi Hernandez and Andreas Iniesta. One of this duo should have won the award. They are victims of FIFA's silly idea to merge its award with the Balloon Door.

Messi (unarguably a fantastic player) did not lift his national team and club to win the two most prestigious competition in 2010 (World Cup and UEFA Champions League).

The voting pattern as displayed on FIFA website showed clearly that sentiments rather than the achievement in the competitions of that year, influenced the votes.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by Ibomade1: 6:07pm On Jan 11, 2011
The guy played very well in La Liga last season but didn't perform very well @ the World Cup so I understand why some people feel that Xavi or Iniesta should have won it. But all in all that small man is a dynamo.
Re: World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? by Mcleo007(m): 6:33pm On Jan 11, 2011
People keep calling on Sneidjer but fail to point out what criteria to judge him with. At Inter,he was not top scorer(Milito was),neither was he top assist(Maicon was). At Barca,Messi was top scorer in europe(including the champs league) and highest assist. What else? Again,the fact that some players in past won based on world cup performance doesn't make it a standing paradigm.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Players Chelsea Need To Buy To Perform At The Top Next Season / The Best Striker In The World. / Who Has Been The Best Defender So Far In Premier League This 2009/10?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.