Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,865 members, 7,872,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:09 AM

FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant (1060 Views)

Shuaibu Abubakar-Audu: Nigeria Needs Over $2bn To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant / FG Seeks ₦‎35 Billion To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Company / Tinubu: I Will Revive Ajaokuta, Dredge River Niger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by ogododo: 7:34pm On May 11, 2020
The Federal Government has inaugurated the Ajaokuta Presidential Project Implementation Team aimed at realising the economic diversification agenda of the regime of the President, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, is the chairman of the team while the Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Olamilekan Adegbite, is the Alternate Chairman.

Inaugurating the committee, the SGF said that it was the desire of the government to industrialise the country within a diversified economy.

He said, “The Ajaokuta Steel plant has languished in economic unproductivity for about four decades, and previous efforts at reviving it had proved abortive. This has resulted in avoidable massive foreign exchange losses at intolerable opportunity cost to the country.

“The pressing need to redress these avoidable challenges has necessitated this presidential intervention at this time. This is further underscored by difficulties being witnessed with present challenges in the global oil industry.”

The SGF said it was the focus of the regime to make Ajaokuta steel West Africa’s largest fully integrated steel producer and most importantly, to accelerate industrialisation in steel-related industries.

He added that the government placed a lot of value on the diversification of the economy, hence, the President’s participation at the Russia/Africa summit in Sochi, Russia, hosted by his Russian counterpart, President Vladimir Putin.

Mustapha pointed out that the Ajaokuta Steel Project would “be resuscitated on the basis of a Government-to-Government agreement with funding from the Afrexim bank and the Russian Export Centre”.

https://punchng.com/fg-inaugurates-committee-to-resuscitate-ajaokuta-steel-plant/
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by gambia(m): 7:37pm On May 11, 2020
At last, we dey wait.
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by juvewalex(m): 7:37pm On May 11, 2020
Committee upon committee with no head ways , highly unserious country.

2 Likes

Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by ogododo: 7:39pm On May 11, 2020
But in 2015 BMC said AJSC is 99% completed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Redoil: 7:40pm On May 11, 2020
always massaging their ego with
I will
we shall l pity Nigerians
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Babzrockman: 7:40pm On May 11, 2020
How many Ajaokuta plants do we have in Nigeria?
The one Bubu has reached an agreement with Russia nko?
I thought by now, Buhari and his team would have finished the revival stuffs.

3 Likes

Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Flyingngel(m): 7:40pm On May 11, 2020
I pray this time around, our politicians get it right.
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Paperwhite(m): 7:46pm On May 11, 2020
We are looking for money to fund a lots of things but here goes this govt again after another economy unviable venture with the moribund Ajaokuta project.This project is another corruption like NNPC to fleece Nigeria So stop it! Sell of the damned place. angry
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by ogododo: 7:46pm On May 11, 2020
Where is Mr. VeePee in all these?
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by mrvitalis(m): 7:55pm On May 11, 2020
Why not just build another near this one ...the money we have wasted on this project is enough to build 10
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by bigtt76(f): 8:02pm On May 11, 2020
Just when we secured an IMF loan these people wan renew their 'ATM' card aka Ajaokuta Steel #IfYouKnowYouKnow cheesy

ogododo:
The Federal Government has inaugurated the Ajaokuta Presidential Project Implementation Team aimed at realising the economic diversification agenda of the regime of the President, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, is the chairman of the team while the Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Olamilekan Adegbite, is the Alternate Chairman.

Inaugurating the committee, the SGF said that it was the desire of the government to industrialise the country within a diversified economy.

He said, “The Ajaokuta Steel plant has languished in economic unproductivity for about four decades, and previous efforts at reviving it had proved abortive. This has resulted in avoidable massive foreign exchange losses at intolerable opportunity cost to the country.

“The pressing need to redress these avoidable challenges has necessitated this presidential intervention at this time. This is further underscored by difficulties being witnessed with present challenges in the global oil industry.”

The SGF said it was the focus of the regime to make Ajaokuta steel West Africa’s largest fully integrated steel producer and most importantly, to accelerate industrialisation in steel-related industries.

He added that the government placed a lot of value on the diversification of the economy, hence, the President’s participation at the Russia/Africa summit in Sochi, Russia, hosted by his Russian counterpart, President Vladimir Putin.

Mustapha pointed out that the Ajaokuta Steel Project would “be resuscitated on the basis of a Government-to-Government agreement with funding from the Afrexim bank and the Russian Export Centre”.

https://punchng.com/fg-inaugurates-committee-to-resuscitate-ajaokuta-steel-plant/

Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by jidamsel43(m): 8:02pm On May 11, 2020
Another audio committee . The government at all levels like to embark on white elephant projects
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Comedian2019: 8:05pm On May 11, 2020
...and someone wants me to believe this fake promise? grin
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by seunmsg(m): 8:15pm On May 11, 2020

Mustapha pointed out that the Ajaokuta Steel Project would “be resuscitated on the basis of a Government-to-Government agreement with funding from the Afrexim bank and the Russian Export Centre”

I was enjoying the story until I got to the last paragraph quoted above. I’m totally against borrowing money to resuscitate Ajaokuta Steel plant. We’ve been sinking money into the project for over 40 years now without anything to show for it and there is nothing on ground to give assurance that things would be different this time around.
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by donbachi(m): 8:30pm On May 11, 2020
Dem wan revive looting their again.
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by StreetFight: 8:32pm On May 11, 2020
Babzrockman:
How many Ajaokuta plants do we have in Nigeria?
The one Bubu has reached an agreement with Russia nko?
I thought by now, Buhari and his team would have finished the revival stuffs.

I thought Goatluck Jonaddaft already commissioned it for full capacity production
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by omowolewa: 8:34pm On May 11, 2020
The earlier the better
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by badaru911: 8:43pm On May 11, 2020
Another billions going down the drain
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by baralatie(m): 9:07pm On May 11, 2020
again
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Ojiofor: 9:10pm On May 11, 2020
Them won chop money for Ajaokuta again.
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Nkemtreasure: 9:14pm On May 11, 2020
I didn't read anything else but the heading. Who else did the same? But this is the like 7th committee. And they will set up another committee to look into this committee's report. They should just sell this country and give me my share
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Bringback9ja: 9:41pm On May 11, 2020
The same "Ajaokuta kick start after century" grin grin

A dead battery can never start a car
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by NaijadrivaCars: 9:45pm On May 11, 2020
Whenever I pass through that place, I just shrug. Billion Dollar investment lying fallow.

But getting our refineries fully functional is good too. They say one thing and do another.
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by Paperwhite(m): 9:48pm On May 11, 2020
Bringback9ja:
The same "Ajaokuta kick start after century" grin A dead battery can never start a car
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by JAMO84: 9:50pm On May 11, 2020
Some people are so used to the miserable ways of the poverty development party that they are yet to realized there's been a new sheriff in town for almost five years.

I AM DONE TALKING
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by PureGoldh(m): 9:51pm On May 11, 2020
Nice one
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by seunmsg(m): 10:22pm On May 11, 2020
ogododo:

Na u be Seun?

I’m not the owner of Nairaland.
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by GamalNasser: 11:22pm On May 11, 2020
Ajaokuta can never work so let's stop deceiving ourselves
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by senatordave1(m): 12:03am On May 12, 2020
GamalNasser:
Ajaokuta can never work so let's stop deceiving ourselves

But why? Even ikot abasi and delta steel is lying fallow
Re: FG Inaugurates Committee To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Plant by GamalNasser: 12:07am On May 12, 2020
senatordave1:

But why? Even ikot abasi and delta steel is lying fallow

The international politics of that controls the flow of steel is deep and Nigerias bad governance is making it easier for them

(1) (2) (Reply)

South East Youths Defend T. Orji’s N38.8b Security Votes / BREAKING: APC Names Ajimobi Acting National Chairman / APC May End Up Not Presenting Any Candidate For The Edo Gubernatorial Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.