Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,682 members, 7,921,460 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 05:46 AM

WHO Warns Smokers "More Likely To Develop Severe Disease With Covid-19" - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / WHO Warns Smokers "More Likely To Develop Severe Disease With Covid-19" (233 Views)

Coronavirus May Be Here To Stay - WHO Warns As New Clusters Emerge / COVID-19: Lifting Lockdown Now’ll Trigger Resurgence, WHO Warns Governments / COVID-19: Burkina Faso Politician Dies. 'Prepare For Worst', WHO Warns Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHO Warns Smokers "More Likely To Develop Severe Disease With Covid-19" by mybbcnews: 10:09pm On May 11, 2020
WHO warns smokers "more likely to develop severe disease with Covid-19"

The World Health Organization warned in a statement released today that a review of studies by public health experts convened by WHO last month found that smokers are “more likely to develop severe disease with COVID-19, compared to non-smokers.”

WHO noted that smoking impairs lung function and makes it more difficult for the body to fight off coronaviruses and other diseases.

Tobacco smoking is a known risk factor for many respiratory infections and increases the severity of respiratory diseases.

"Tobacco is also a major risk factor for noncommunicable diseases like cardiovascular disease, cancer, respiratory disease and diabetes which put people with these conditions at higher risk for developing severe illness when affected by COVID-19," WHO said in the statement.

Some context: Tobacco kills more than 8 million people globally every year. More than 7 million of these deaths are from direct tobacco use and around 1.2 million are due to non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke, according to WHO.
Read more...

Re: WHO Warns Smokers "More Likely To Develop Severe Disease With Covid-19" by Enoch07: 10:15pm On May 11, 2020
but I can smoke my AZ in peace abi. I wonder what smokers of cigarettes achieve sef
Re: WHO Warns Smokers "More Likely To Develop Severe Disease With Covid-19" by EzzyCarter: 10:18pm On May 11, 2020
In Joyner Lucas' voice "Ion wanna smoke cancer sticks"...
Re: WHO Warns Smokers "More Likely To Develop Severe Disease With Covid-19" by budaatum: 10:41pm On May 11, 2020

Re: WHO Warns Smokers "More Likely To Develop Severe Disease With Covid-19" by mybbcnews: 10:55pm On May 11, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Issues Directive On Madagascar’s COVID-19 Cure / Federal Govt Will Not Fund Covid-19 Research - Health Minister, Dr. Ehanire / Can I Fix My Posture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.