Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,818 members, 7,872,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:00 PM

It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out (1101 Views)

My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by Ibiminastephen(m): 9:37pm On May 12, 2020
A Nigerian lady identified as Queen Minic on Twitter has taken to the platform to write that a man does not have the obligation to take care of his wife’s family.

According to Queen, it is the sole responsibility of the woman to hustle and send money to her family. Or better still, it should be a decision the man has to make personally.

She further urged all ladies to be financially independent and stop relying on their husbands for everything.

In her words;

“The Duty of your husband is not to take care of your immediate family. Have something doing.

It is your responsibility to take care of your family (siblings and parents)not that of your husband. Let it be his CHOICE to do. Don’t FORCE it on him Sis.”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by Drosonogasta(m): 9:40pm On May 12, 2020
Who give this wan sense
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by Ibiminastephen(m): 9:41pm On May 12, 2020
wink
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by Oluneutral: 9:50pm On May 12, 2020
Yes, I support her 100%.

Marriage is not poverty alleviation programme.

4 Likes

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:51pm On May 12, 2020
taking care of partner's family, lol....why not family's neighbors too (while you are at it)?!?!?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by bukatyne(f): 10:00pm On May 12, 2020
Ibiminastephen:
A Nigerian lady identified as Queen Minic on Twitter has taken to the platform to write that a man does not have the obligation to take care of his wife’s family.

According to Queen, it is the sole responsibility of the woman to hustle and send money to her family. Or better still, it should be a decision the man has to make personally.

She further urged all ladies to be financially independent and stop relying on their husbands for everything.

In her words;

“The Duty of your husband is not to take care of your immediate family. Have something doing.

It is your responsibility to take care of your family (siblings and parents)not that of your husband. Let it be his CHOICE to do. Don’t FORCE it on him Sis.”

Depends on the culture.

I know a couple of men who are expected to care for their in-laws (elder or younger).

One was even expected to send 'pocket money' to his grown in-laws every month.

Obviously, they ran a strict traditional model of marriage.
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by LordKO(m): 10:05pm On May 12, 2020
It depends on one's perspective about marriage; since two become one as a couple/when pursuing oneness, it is therefore the couple's - not the wife's - responsibility to help their individual extended families to the best of their ability. So, directly or indirectly, it's the man's responsibility to help his wife's parents and siblings, and vice versa.

A wife (or even a husband) can be resourceful and reasonable without earning money directly.

4 Likes

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by bukatyne(f): 10:07pm On May 12, 2020
LordKO:
It depends on one's perspective about marriage; since two become one as a couple/when pursuing oneness, it is therefore the couple's - not the wife's - responsibility to help their individual extended families to the best of their ability. So, directly or indirectly, it's the man's responsibility to help his wife's parents and siblings, and vice versa.

A wife (or even a husband) can be resourceful and reasonable without earning money directly.

She is talking of a traditional setting where the husband is the breadwinner and expected to provide for his in-laws.

A friend once argued that if her husband sent N20k to his family, he must send N20k to hers whether they have same financial standing or not.
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by LordKO(m): 10:16pm On May 12, 2020
bukatyne:

She is talking of a traditional setting where the husband is the breadwinner and expected to provide for his in-laws.

A friend once argued that if her husband sent N20k to his family, he must send N20k to hers whether they have same financial standing or not.

"Expected to provide for his in-laws" or help to the best his/their ability? I don't expect a sane person to use servility to sustain a relationship with another person.
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by crackkhaus: 10:32pm On May 12, 2020
All this will not even be an issue if guys marry girls from at least middle-class families.

Na only poor in-laws dey bother man with their problems.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by bukatyne(f): 9:18am On May 13, 2020
LordKO:

"Expected to provide for his in-laws" or help to the best his/their ability? I don't expect a sane person to use servility to sustain a relationship with another person.

Expected sir.
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by cococandy(f): 9:32am On May 13, 2020
From the collective pot. Exactly
And unnecessary issues avoided.

LordKO:

2 Likes

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by LordKO(m): 10:41am On May 13, 2020
bukatyne:

Expected sir.

Connotation of your friend's statement shows that she's a contentious wife - or let me assume that her husband's small-mindedness has made her to become a contentious wife. This, by extension, means that they aren't operating on a fair philosophy where conscientiousness/principle reigns supreme over expediency - they don't trust each other - self-interest/egoism is the order of the day in their union, capped with crassness.

A couple (a sane couple) who're of the same ethical leanings - healthy ethical leanings - and operate on a mutual fair philosophy will always allow principle to reign supreme over expediency. In this instance, it shouldn't be about if he sends 20k to his extended family, he must send 20k to my own extended family too, and vice versa, like your friend stated. Instead, it'll be about either of the extended families that need the help getting what's available from them, while if it's the normal occasional/seasonal benevolent gifts, they make sure the individual extended families get their deserving share. Truth is that, when two conscientious people have altruistic interest towards each other and decide to pursue oneness/marry, things always flow well effortlessly between them and that breeds understanding - understanding breeds love.

LOL. You know say I no accept the "sir" appropriation. I am, however, not going to stop addressing you as mama de mama.
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by Trupz: 10:53am On May 13, 2020
Taking care of one's immediate family is a necessity and every man must strive to properly cater for his family. However, giving to relatives and in-laws is a charitable act and as with every act of charity, one should give of his own volition but never out of compulsion.

@Stacyo, come and say what you think

2 Likes

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by KanwuliaExtra: 11:12am On May 13, 2020
What kind of family is that?
Are they all handicapped? undecided

2 Likes

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 13, 2020
Trupz:
Taking care of one's immediate family is a necessity and every man must strive to properly cater for his family. However, giving to relatives and in-laws is a charitable act and as with every act of charity, one should give of his own volition but never out of compulsion.

@Stacyo, come and say what you think

You've said it all dear.

Let me chip in small grin
If the woman's family can't take care of all their needs,their daughter should be ready to equally shoulder the responsibilities.
It will get to a point,the man himself will start using that as an opportunity to misbehave.

It's better to be independent n take good care of your family yourself, in the process helping your husband and building a healthy family. Nothing beats that.

In fact,your husband won't only be relieved,he'll equally want to do more for your family. It shouldn't be forced, please n please (It has destroyed many homes).
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by Mindlog: 5:33pm On May 13, 2020
It is certainly not the husband's obligation but he can always out of his freewill assist whenever he can or are the men in the wife's family handicapped?
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by bukatyne(f): 5:54pm On May 13, 2020
LordKO:

Connotation of your friend's statement shows that she's a contentious wife - or let me assume that her husband's small-mindedness has made her to become a contentious wife. This, by extension, means that they aren't operating on a fair philosophy where conscientiousness/principle reigns supreme over expediency - they don't trust each other - self-interest/egoism is the order of the day in their union, capped with crassness.

A couple (a sane couple) who're of the same ethical leanings - healthy ethical leanings - and operate on a mutual fair philosophy will always allow principle to reign supreme over expediency. In this instance, it shouldn't be about if he sends 20k to his extended family, he must send 20k to my own extended family too, and vice versa, like your friend stated. Instead, it'll be about either of the extended families that need the help getting what's available from them, while if it's the normal occasional/seasonal benevolent gifts, they make sure the individual extended families get their deserving share. Truth is that, when two conscientious people have altruistic interest towards each other and decide to pursue oneness/marry, things always flow well effortlessly between them and that breeds understanding - understanding breeds love.

LOL. You no say I no accept the "sir" appropriation. I am, however, not going to stop addressing you as mama de mama.

@ Bold:

Very funny cheesy

Babe said it was cultural. She did not like the cultural aspect that gave the husband upper hand sha. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by cassyrooy(m): 5:57pm On May 13, 2020
That's why men shouldn't marry sit-at-home wives. If she works, you can collectively handle the extra bills from both sides regardless.

1 Like

Re: It's Not The Duty Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family- Females Speaks Out by dominique(f): 6:12pm On May 13, 2020
Your siblings are NOT your responsibility and it is absolutely absurd for a wife to expect her husband to take care of her family. How were they living before she married him?

1 Like 7 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Can Your Wife Manage Your Home If You Cease To Exist? / Mosquitoes Attack In My House / Childless Marriage By Choice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.