Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,605 members, 7,888,933 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 06:44 PM

Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. (1810 Views)

Meeting Online? What Do You Think? / Girl Attempts Suicide After Meeting Online Lover First Time! Why? He's Too Ugly! / Police Saves Girl From Committing Suicide After Meeting Online Lover First Time! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 17, 2011
I want a CLASSY debate. Lets use facts and reasonable opinions.

Last semester in school, I was part of our debate team and one of our topics was "Initiating relationships: Cyber vs. Physical contact".

*Are you supportive or against initiating relationships online? Are you more traditional and believe meeting physically initially is better? Are the risks associated with meeting your partner online equal to or totally different from initially meeting physically? Lastly, which do you think is more likely to produce successful relationships?

*Modified. wink
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by MrsChima(f): 6:36pm On Jan 17, 2011
There are no definite promises for both "meeting" mediums. However, I always found it strange when a person who have never met the other person to be in love with them. I am not saying that it can't happen because I am sure in this vast world a few people fell in love with the people they never met and ended up having a nice marriage. But, the percentage of that is slim.

I always say if that how you have to find your mate through cyber space then so be it. It is not for everyone and if it work for you GREAT!
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 17, 2011
I don't see the difference. There are scientific (and personal) backings to support my view. The same s3xual tension and attraction is there. For some people who are not sociable or too busy for clubs it (dating online) may be an alternative no? I think ppl associate cyber dating as "creep and victim" but this is not always so.
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Omolola1(f): 7:08pm On Jan 17, 2011
Online love is messy,it is deceitful nd crazy, physical on d oda hand is fun,u get to knw d person u re datin one on one
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 17, 2011
^^that may be true. My most successful relationship (3 yrs lol) was initiated online tho. (of course we met in person after months of "getting to know" each other).
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Omolola1(f): 7:29pm On Jan 17, 2011
yeah, meetin in person is very important if u met online. . .
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Dsense(m): 7:33pm On Jan 17, 2011
OP.
I and Mrs china dated for almost 4 years online before she left me for Mr China cry
So i tell you . . .Online dating is a messy.
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 17, 2011
China? or Chima? grin
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Dsense(m): 7:48pm On Jan 17, 2011
Me call it [size=15pt]China[/size] grin
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Phate07(m): 7:55pm On Jan 17, 2011

How da heck do i know that the sexy chic is not really an crazy marrafuccker? Huh? undecided
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by 190: 7:55pm On Jan 17, 2011
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by LordReed(m): 7:58pm On Jan 17, 2011
I wish I had statistics to buttress my pts but sad none so am just gonna lay em out based on instinct.
Now we as human have senses with which we relate to the world, sight, hearing,tasting, smelling n touching. With these senses our experience of d world is more satisfying wen all d faculties can share in d experience eg wen u smell gud food u wanna taste it.
Now relating this to cyber life u find dat experience is foreshortened to sight n sound denying d other senses of d pleasure.
A relationship carried on solely in cyberspace is going to suffer the consequence of being truncated. If no steps are taken to initiate physical contact it really will not be a very fulfilling relationship except of course if d parties want notin more den it has reach its zenith.
Physical contact will give a chance for a much broader experience n will determine if d parties involved will continue to enjoy one anoda's company.
With dis I submit dat all couch potates n webheads get off their asses n go out n have some fun! wit real people! lol
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 17, 2011
Phate07:

How da heck do i know that the sexy chic is not really an crazy marrafuccker? Huh? undecided

Ask the women/men who marry their partners for 30 plus years only to find out they are serial rapists/killers ppl are people. Believe it or not there are scientific studies that are used to shape online dating services. they have concluded (and so have I ) that there is no difference as ppl will lie be it in person or online. A lot of women meet men in the clubs/social gatherings and end up violated or killed. In my opinion the risks are equal.

@Lord, nobody is saying SOLELY cyber. Its about MEETING online as opposed to meeting in person. Let's not insult ppl. Some folks have busy lives or live in areas where clubs are out of their reach or they are shy. Cyber space is the future and some ppl are now taking it to other levels such as shopping solely online for even groceries, filing taxes/taking care of finances online, owning businesses online and even dating.
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by patwhizkid(f): 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2011
Omolola1:

Online love is messy,it is deceitful nd crazy, physical on d oda hand is fun,u get to knw d person u re datin one on one

talking from experience? grin
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by LordReed(m): 8:21pm On Jan 17, 2011
@MDS
No insult intended.

My post pts out dat its ok to initiate contact via d cyberways but for a broader deep level of expression n experience it must come out of the chat rooms into the bar rooms
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by misanho: 8:31pm On Jan 17, 2011
Come oo if I mAy y b say all dis NLderz wey dey jand or yankee 2 d support kochat? Mzdarkskin which motion r U upholdn?

Man+woman+cyba luv= 80% failure

Man+woman+phsy.luv= 20% failure.

Ladies n gent let d beautiful normz dat make up life not b computerized now, Ejor!
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Omolola1(f): 9:30pm On Jan 17, 2011
patwhiz, abeg nor fall my hand o!
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by deniyor: 9:36pm On Jan 17, 2011
Online relationships usually have a nice foundation. One based on mutualism and understanding. Cos of the online nature of it, people find it easy to quit at the onset if they feel it is not a match. This is provided one is not settling for any body you see online.
For the relationship to be sustainable, it should move from online to physical. There will be a bit of understanding and rapport built up from the online version of the relationship. THe physical part will be a true test of how you can interact in real life.
Summary: For most online relationship to survive in the long run, there has to progress to some form of physical relationship. Else you are still two strangers trying to know each other.
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 17, 2011
^^Absolutely.

misanho:

Come oo if I mAy y b say all dis NLderz wey dey jand or yankee 2 d support kochat? Mzdarkskin which motion r U upholdn?

Man+woman+cyba luv= 80% failure

Man+woman+phsy.luv= 20% failure.

Ladies n gent let d beautiful normz dat make up life not b computerized now,  Ejor!

I live in the states  smiley. I do not have to rely on phone to phone or person to person contact. I spend my time in the country (southern states) but I am from New England (New York/New Jersey) and most of my ppl are up there. The internet is another way for me to connect with them as I travel to NY/NJ/PA/MIA like nothing and while up there I have met ppl and kept contact via internet allowing me to ask and say as I wish with no holds barred, this also enables me to get to know them in a span of a hour that normally takes two ppl face to face a week or month and the feelings/emotions are there. You are obviously a "nay sayer", and that is your opinion and I respect it. I am for love regardless if it is person to person or via internet because if both parties are genuine anything is possible.

Lets keep this going with NO deraling and personal attacks aiight?
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by silentc(m): 9:39pm On Jan 17, 2011
deniyor:

Online relationships usually have a nice foundation. One based on mutualism and understanding. Cos of the online nature of it, people find it easy to quit at the onset if they feel it is not a match. This is provided one is not settling for any body you see online.
For the relationship to be sustainable, it should move from online to physical. There will be a bit of understanding and rapport built up from the online version of the relationship. THe physical part will be a true test of how you can interact in real life.
Summary: For most online relationship to survive in the long run, there has to progress to some form of physical relationship. Else you are still two strangers trying to know each other.

Thanks Deniyor. . . . . . this is exaclty what i think too.
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jan 17, 2011
I will argue in favour of physical love. Online love is abstract, not encouraging and guile. One can be easily "mugued" by the sham pictures uploaded by the female gender. Conversely, Physical love is d real deal. It hides no outward demeanor defects. U get to see the female gender and know her strength and weaknesses in a relatively short period of tme i.e provided u r a playboy like me oh. grin
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Spclst900: 9:52pm On Jan 17, 2011
patwhizkid:

talking from experience? grin
hmn hmn, did i just see this?

Topic.

Both are route to meaningful relationships.
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by patwhizkid(f): 10:00pm On Jan 17, 2011
Omolola1:

patwhiz, abeg nor fall my hand o!

sharrap!
Yu think i don't know se? undecided
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by misanho: 10:01pm On Jan 17, 2011
@ mzdarkskin, U said no derailing,no yappin n dat we sud just keep it goin but U call me a "nay sayer" just bcoz I don't buy ur view, I'm tryn 2 b real here n U tag me a -ve person, cos I oppose U, I tot dis waz suppose 2 b a debate of some kind? Dogmatism cloud d mind ma dear, life is about sharin pplz viewz ok nd pickin worthwhile lessonz,
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Omolola1(f): 10:03pm On Jan 17, 2011
whizkid, na me, lorla u dey say shut up to?

For dis, u shall be deprived of weed for d nxt 10 days~
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by patwhizkid(f): 10:09pm On Jan 17, 2011
Omolola1:

whizkid, na me, lorla u dey say shut up to?

For dis, u shall be deprived of weed for d nxt 10 days~

just because i said the truth? shocked
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Omolola1(f): 10:13pm On Jan 17, 2011
Nope, jxt because u did tatafo
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by PTBNaija(f): 10:19pm On Jan 17, 2011
I am not completely against initiating relationships online. . . but that is only if it is possible for both parties to interact physically regularly.

To each his own, but relationships started and maintained online can be full of deceit. When you interact with someone online, you have no other choice but to believe everything that they say. You can have your doubts, but there is no proof. You are more likely to meet bad characters online and maintain that relationship than if you see them in person. In person you can at least notice things (weird actions, lies), you can see who their friends are. You know the saying "show me your friends and I will tell you who you are." These are things that are hard to do online.

So overall, I would definitely say no. But if you are in the same vicinity (maybe 30 minutes apart or so) then maybe it's possible.

1 Like

Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by patwhizkid(f): 10:24pm On Jan 17, 2011
Omolola1:

Nope, jxt because u did tatafo

but i didn't blow yur cover nah sad
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by silentc(m): 10:31pm On Jan 17, 2011
Oga phatwizz let it go abeg. . . . . we know what happened . . . . but let the lady have her dignity abeg haba! grin

Back to the main topic, I personally dont do online relationships. I can start a relationship, build it and then move onto a long distance relationship which has an online element to it . . . . . but not the other way round.
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 17, 2011
misanho:

@ mzdarkskin, U said no derailing,no yappin n dat we sud just keep it goin but U call me a "nay sayer" just bcoz I don't buy your view, I'm  tryn 2 b real here n U tag me a -ve person, cos I oppose U,  I tot dis waz suppose 2 b a debate of some kind? Dogmatism cloud d mind ma dear, life is about sharin pplz viewz ok nd pickin worthwhile lessonz,

dont come @ me like that. look up the definition of "nay sayer" if your internet is too slow, it basically means "to be against". I am for cyber and you are against? what is there to be upset about? mschew.

Spclst900:

Topic.

Both are route to meaningful relationships.

I agree. I prefer to meet guys in person but there are eligible bachelors who are out of my reach, many of whom may be relocating to my areas or vice versa. its all about the individuals. I honestly believe both have the same percentage or likely hood to be a success or failure.
Re: Debate. . .MEETING online Vs. Physical. by misanho: 10:42pm On Jan 17, 2011
@ mzlightskin, I'm sorry!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Men Stare At Strangers? / Was He Wrong To Have? / Friends And Foes, It's Getting Alarming.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.