Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,848 members, 7,886,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 07:21 AM

A People Against Themsevelves: A Christian School Of Thought - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A People Against Themsevelves: A Christian School Of Thought (530 Views)

Dunamis Builds 'christian School' In Lafia / Letter Of Rejection Given By Christian School To A Muslim Corper / Questions For People Against Big Church Buildings In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A People Against Themsevelves: A Christian School Of Thought by ThinkBrave: 7:47pm On May 25, 2020
I have come to realize that our societies have a large majority of people who can argue everything and proof nothing. Most can't
make comments without using incendiary and belittling words. Self demeaning words is fuel and energy they need to thrive as
seen in their jokes and responses. This religion section and the violent show tribal display of superiority and hatred between
the Igbos and the Yorubas is something really disheartening a forum like this. If we can't hold fired filled conversation without someone feeling
like a loser, defeated or insulted then, we are actually not communicating.

On a general note: whether online, in relationships or day to day activities, we should realize that some people are weak emotionally. How do I know this you may ask? Experience have taught me. In the past I liked to argue a lot, interestingly I'm a deep thinker very difficult to convince. logical inconsistency, coherence of thought and pulling meaning out of context are normally things I won't allow you to get away with. This is what I discovered. Some turn to anger, some to violence.
The ones that really disturbs me are those that start to cry and become so emotional.

On a fateful day I actually argued with a guy that made him to start crying, which is not the first time it is happening. To me it was just an argument, to him I didn't know what it meant. Then I came to the realization of this inherent weakness in people that will make them
argue, talk and go back to soak their pillows in secret. Then I chose a different path.

Here are some lessons I will like to share with a focus on belief and spirituality.
Questions you will like to think deep before you argue, defend yourself or come up
with a philosophy about anything

1. The path you have chosen for your life now, is it to please someone or out of conviction?
2. If you were not born into the believe system you hold now, will you still have chosen the
path you are following now?.
3. Are you willing to change your path if you find out that your beliefs whether religion
or perspective are not true?.
4. Do you feel hatred or anger towards others when they disagree with you?
5. Can you keep quiet if you know the truth or an answer to a question being asked, but you were not ask to talk?
6. What is your greatest fear or loss if you for any reason decides to chose another path from the one you are following now? Pride, friends,
connections, family, money, influence, life e.t.c
7. What price are you willing to pay for that which you belief?
8. Do you think every human should be bounded by the same moral principle you hold?
9. Do you belief every human being have the right to share their own beliefs with others?
10. If you were to choose between your belief, propositions or philosophy and humans, which will you choose?
Assuming you are right and everyone on earth is wrong. You have a choice to save yourself or the earth, you are sure that
even if you save the earth the people won't still believe you. What will you do?

This is a self examination and evaluation for who anyone truly wants challenges himself, a mirror for retrospection.
The state when we begin to see our-self through the eyes of others. Using our mouth to sow the seed of hope, than fanning religious and
ethnic strife.

Spiritual people believe in existence and a relationship with a God,
Religious people believe in laws and traditions they must uphold to pleased God
Atheist do not believe in God at all....
Existentialist and materialist live for the moment and pleasure.....their minds are filled with the pleasure and materials they must acquire.
Scientism is the belief in science as the way to determine normative and epistemological values

By now, most people will know where the belong already. I strongly believe that most times people who called themselves atheist do not fully
understand what they are saying, but some do.

I subscribe to a Christian philosophical school of thought. The one problem, I have with atheist is there over generalization and undermining attitude towards the impact of Christianity in science. This is not to say that everything supported by science is true.

Either directly or indirectly science owes most of it success to Christianity. Christianity have provided virtually the wings for which science and education are thriving today, both human and material resources. Overall, Christians are considered a total of 72.5% in Chemistry between 1901 and 2000, 65.3% in Physics, 62% in Medicine, 54% in Economics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_science

As at 2016, the U.S has 30% of scientist who are religious and the Uk 27%. Italy, Taiwan, Turkey and India are the countries with up to
50% of their scientist believe in the existence of God. India being the country with the highest standing at 94%.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2378023116664353
With the dwindling number of Christians scientist, Christianity still have the highest number of scientist or contributions till date....

A few list of scientist excluding those who chose those oppose spirituality.
Michael Faraday (1791–1867): Glasite church elder for a time, he discussed the relationship of science to religion in a lecture opposing Spiritualism.
Benjamin Silliman (1779–1864): chemist and science educator at Yale; the first person to distill petroleum, and a founder of the American Journal of Science, the oldest scientific journal in the United States. An outspoken Christian.
Galileo Galilei (1564–1642): Italian astronomer, physicist, engineer, philosopher, and mathematician who played a major role in the scientific revolution during the Renaissance.
Blaise Pascal (1623–1662): Jansenist thinker; well known for Pascal's law (physics), Pascal's theorem (math), Pascal's calculator (computing) and Pascal's Wager (theology).
Isaac Newton (1643–1727): Prominent scientist during the Scientific Revolution. Physicist, discoverer of gravity.
Leonhard Euler (1707–1783): significant mathematician and physicist, The son of a pastor, he wrote Defense of the Divine Revelation against the Objections of the Freethinkers and is also commemorated by the Lutheran Church on their Calendar of Saints on May 24.
John Dalton (1766–1844)
Andre Marie Ampere (1775–1836): one of the founders of classical electromagnetism. The unit for electric current, Ampere, is named after him
Charles Babbage (1791–1871): mathematician and analytical philosopher known as the first computer scientist who originated the idea of a programmable computer.
J. J. Thomson (1856–1940): English physicist and Nobel Laureate in Physics, credited with the discovery and identification of the electron; and with the discovery of the first subatomic particle. He was an Anglican.
You can checkout the full list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

This is not to massage anybody's ego in anyway but to put history in perspectives. The notion that being a christian makes you
dumb, unintelligent, unproductive or unreasonable is unfounded and completely false. I'm a christian and if I chose live in a particular way, eat,
dance and talk; i'm hoping that everybody will respect that.

My hope is that we should live in a society where one is able to share his/her belief without fear. Communicating truth with love. One should be
able to accept or reject what he does not like nor believe in. Mutual respect for people's culture, values and beliefs should form the core of our relationships; placing meritocracy above tribal and religious sentiments. This values build into our people and institutions will give creativity and productivity it natural place. Then Africa, can rise from poverty and break free from the shackles of backwardness.

Thank you for taking the time to read through....

Re: A People Against Themsevelves: A Christian School Of Thought by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On May 26, 2020
ThinkBrave:
On a general note: whether online, in relationships or day to day activities, we should realize that some people are weak emotionally. How do I know this you may ask? Experience have taught me. In the past I liked to argue a lot, interestingly I'm a deep thinker very difficult to convince. logical inconsistency, coherence of thought and pulling meaning out of context are normally things I won't allow you to get away with. This is what I discovered. Some turn to anger, some to violence.
The ones that really disturbs me are those that start to cry and become so emotional.
On a fateful day I actually argued with a guy that made him to start crying, which is not the first time it is happening. To me it was just an argument, to him I didn't know what it meant. Then I came to the realization of this inherent weakness in people that will make them
argue, talk and go back to soak their pillows in secret. Then I chose a different path.
LOL.... I am afraid that what you mistook for emotional weakness is a form of Anxiety. I know this because I too suffered this for the longest myself. I always had the words for my comeback, but the moment I ready myself to pour it all out on my opponent, the sudden tremors, fear, worry and feelings of impending doom instead forces me to back away, or face delivering my message with tears flowing down my cheeks.
You can image how "shameful" that would be for a child, let alone an adult.
Re: A People Against Themsevelves: A Christian School Of Thought by Kobojunkie: 7:44pm On May 26, 2020
ThinkBrave:

The state when we begin to see our-self through the eyes of others. Using our mouth to sow the seed of hope, than fanning religious and
ethnic strife.
Couldn't it be said that those who engage in fanning the flames of religious and ethnic strife are themselves convinced that in so doing, they are in deed sowing this seed of hope that you suggest instead? For example, a person of one belief engaged in what seems a meaningless exchange with another, may be convinced in his mind that the exchange in question is in fact a seed towards his winning favor of his God or people or ensuring the place of his beliefs(e.g #1 religion) or his recognition as an "intellectual" among his peers.
Re: A People Against Themsevelves: A Christian School Of Thought by ThinkBrave: 11:21pm On May 26, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Couldn't it be said that those who engage in fanning the flames of religious and ethnic strife are themselves convinced that in so doing, they are in deed sowing this seed of hope that you suggest instead? For example, a person of one belief engaged in what seems a meaningless exchange with another, may be convinced in his mind that the exchange in question is in fact a seed towards his winning favor of his God or people or ensuring the place of his beliefs(e.g #1 religion) or his recognition as an "intellectual" among his peers.
"Argument only takes away lies, only experience reinforces truth"-Ravi. Winning an argument has never brought about conversions. The show of love, sacrifice and care has made many to switch their faith. This does not stop us from having healthy debates. I agree that many do this to gain recognition or favour from their tribes men or religious fellows, but little did they know that the have pegged themselves to local champions and end up living unfulfilled lives. Anybody that does not support good will not enjoy good even if they may fake it, their end will show it.
Re: A People Against Themsevelves: A Christian School Of Thought by ThinkBrave: 11:32pm On May 26, 2020
Kobojunkie:

LOL.... I am afraid that what you mistook for emotional weakness is a form of Anxiety. I know this because I too suffered this for the longest myself. I always had the words for my comeback, but the moment I ready myself to pour it all out on my opponent, the sudden tremors, fear, worry and feelings of impending doom instead forces me to back away, or face delivering my message with tears flowing down my cheeks.
You can image how "shameful" that would be for a child, let alone an adult.
Not all though many will behave this way. Some could be as a result of low self-esteem. There is a way you can talk to some people and they will commit suicide. What others will take as a challenge, is their worst nightmare.
Re: A People Against Themsevelves: A Christian School Of Thought by Kobojunkie: 1:02am On May 27, 2020
ThinkBrave:
Not all though many will behave this way. Some could be as a result of low self-esteem. There is a way you can talk to some people and they will commit suicide. What others will take as a challenge, is their worst nightmare.
Anxiety, Depression.... mental illnesses! It is real and it is not their fault or a sign of weakness of character of mind... Good news is there is treatment, bad news is that societal stigma is still against those who know there is a problem and would like to seek help of any sort.

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Bible Say About Dating? / Police Arrests Prophet Odumeje A.k.a Idasbosky / 02/08/20: Prophet T.B. Joshua Decalares All In Honduras Isolation Centre Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.