Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,713 members, 7,879,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 12:52 PM

Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System (42744 Views)

Stephen Mouka: Obidients Ridiculed As "Eluuu-P" Singer Was Spotted In Workshop / Peter Obi Attends The Governance Agenda For An Inclusive Nigerian Summit / Osun Election: Adeleke Has Ridiculed The People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by kalu61(m): 4:00am On May 29, 2020
abbey621:

You're mixing apples with oranges, this is not about the rules of the company. When a top executive is accused of fraud or something ethically wrong, you don't leave it to internal investigations. I do this for a living so I know what I am saying. You can google case studies such as Enron, Keating 5 and Worldcom. All these companies faced scandals and it took external investigations to set things right. You are looking at things from protecting the accused, I'm looking at things from ethical framework, any company that is innocent of any wrongdoing should not be scared of external investigators, please get rid of this conspiracy theory mindset, I have already told you earlier, the USA does not need to be involved, it can be investigators from Russia or Japan, no one cares!
Politics does not recognize ethics but interest. I can bet my balls that US is never after the ethics of AFDB but her interest like wise Adesina must have been after the interest of Africa counties too. The next thing is call for him to step aside for external investigation while election is approaching. Even if the US is clean, why call for Adesina probe seeing he is the sole candidate.

Like l said, international politics respects no ethics but interest.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by abbey621(m): 4:08am On May 29, 2020
kalu61:
Politics does not recognize ethics but interest. I can bet my balls that US is never after the ethics of AFDB but her interest like wise Adesina must have been after the interest of Africa counties too. The next thing is call for him to step aside for external investigation while election is approaching. Even if the US is clean, why call for Adesina probe seeing he is the sole candidate.

Like l said, international politics respects no ethics but interest.

You're full of assumptions and sentiments which is opposite of how truly enlightened folks reason. So US is after its own interest but Adesina is looking out for Africa and cannot possibly be corrupt? Wow I admire your faith, almost reminds me of the Sai Baba shouters in 2014 grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by kalu61(m): 4:24am On May 29, 2020
abbey621:

You're full of assumptions and sentiments which is opposite of how truly enlightened folks reason. So US is after its own interest but Adesina is looking out for Africa and cannot possibly be corrupt? Wow I admire your faith, almost reminds me of the Sai Baba shouters in 2014 grin grin grin
You have resulted to calling of names when you have no point to present. You want to look smart but you are not.

Bank to our discussion

l never exonerated him of having personal interest likewise you can't for US but since the ethics committee has, who are you to accuse him without mere assumptions. Did the committee exclude the US in her investigation? If other counties have no problem with outcome of the ethics committee why US now?

Since you don't want me to assume which is the basis for any investigation or research then present me with your evidence. Go read about hypothesis

Adesina is guilty is still an assumption until proven other wise, or have you indicted him?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by abbey621(m): 4:34am On May 29, 2020
kalu61:
You have resulted to calling of names when you have no point to present. You want to look smart but you are not.

Bank to our discussion

l never exonerated him of having personal interest likewise you can't for US but since the ethics committee has, who are you to accuse him without mere assumptions. Did the committee exclude the US in her investigation? If other counties have no problem with outcome of the ethics committee why US now?

Since you don't want me to assume which is the basis for any investigation or research then present me with your evidence. Go read about hypothesis

Adesina is guilty is still an assumption until proven other wise, or have you indicted him?

I have learned not to argue on Nairaland blindly but to use the arguer's words against him/her. Here's your direct quote:

Politics does not recognize ethics but interest. I can bet my balls that US is never after the ethics of AFDB but her interest like wise Adesina must have been after the interest of Africa counties too[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font].

I'm done arguing with you!
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by middlebelter(m): 4:34am On May 29, 2020
festacman:
This is a fierce battle for the SOUL of AfDB. I hope Africa wins.

Finally the issues of visionless leadership, corruption and poor management of countries' economies have come to haunt Africa. We don't even fully own our bank!

Believe me, if Akinwumi Adesina will survive this storm, two things will help:

1. His personal relationship and rapport with leaders of Germany, France, Japan and Canada well as most African countries. Even after serving under Jonathan, he maintained good relationship with Pres Buhari. He has this intellectual charm. Part of his offence is that he has virtually secured 2nd term unopposed without recourse to almighty United States.

2. The hatred which EU has for the proud narcissistic Donald Trump, the President of United States may help Adesina's case. Nigeria should exploit this to protect our candidate and image as a country.

All these letters will put diplomatic pressure on AfDB Board of Directors but if US garners the support of key non-African shareholders, Akinwumi Adesina will go because Francophone countries will always toe the line drawn by France thereby deflating Africa's resistance. In addition, I don't trust South Africa to protect Nigeria's interest.

Sound analysis. That is one of the reasons I am happy with Obj's letter. I know he command some respect in the international community I sincerely hope France will not play the role of the spoiler in this game. It is politics whichever way we look at it and am happy the Finance Minister has written her own letter, thereby nullifying some of the allegations against him. Honestly, we must stand up to play our key roles in Africa. If S. Africa should work against us, instant retaliation is key to drive home a strong warning to others and S. Africa. We should revisit the MTN issue is another way with a strangulati g sanctions.

As a person , I am waiting for any misstep from South Africa. If we don't assert ourselves, then we shall continue to be at the mercy of our brothers in Africa and their foreign paymaster.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by kalu61(m): 4:41am On May 29, 2020
abbey621:

I have learned not to argue on Nairaland blindly but to use the arguer's words against him/her. Here's your direct quote:

I'm done arguing with you!
Have a nice morning.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Arizonaguy(m): 5:42am On May 29, 2020
weblord1900:
He should be investigated. Maybe U. S saw something they didn't see. Investigation is not a bad thing
Use your brain man
Even a dummy will know that Dr Adesina is Afrocentric hence the reason US and other western countries that doesn't want the black man to rise want him out
You are one out of many with a neocolonial mindset that doesn't serve the motherland
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Jakemedg(m): 6:58am On May 29, 2020
kelvindj98:

US yansh licker, they won't give u visa.
LOL i expected this statement well you and i know that our leaders in Africa are either US ass lickers or China ass lickers
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Jakemedg(m): 7:07am On May 29, 2020
Arizonaguy:
Use your brain man
Even a dummy will know that Dr Adesina is Afrocentric hence the reason US and other western countries that doesn't want the black man to rise want him out
You are one out of many with a neocolonial mindset that doesn't serve the motherland
You don't need to be a scholar in international politics before you know how the world we live in is structured. You are either for the West US,UK or East Russia,China
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by SirBunky85(m): 7:33am On May 29, 2020
michlins:
America will always try to bully everyone.

Once you don't buy into their idea, you become corrupt
but racoon and gamal nasser always say dat trump is the best thing to happen to the world
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by ugofulfilled(m): 7:36am On May 29, 2020
Jakemedg:
Okay i have done that and i still maintain my stand on an independent investigation devoid of US interference.
Have you bothered to ask yourself what 's the stand of other African countries on this iissue?

Speaking about pencils in the hands of westerners well you and i know our African leaders have always been pencils in the hands of westerners and will continue to be for as long as we're relying on them for aids etc.

It's alright. Good morning
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Jakemedg(m): 7:40am On May 29, 2020
ugofulfilled:

It's alright. Good morning
Good morning bro
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by middlebelter(m): 8:17am On May 29, 2020
surgical:
it is not a corruption issue,but ethics

Did you take time to read Adesina's response to those allegations before coming to your conclusion?
As a student of corporate governance & politics, it is not hard to see politics of interest in what is going on. It is corporate politics 101 and I am happy Nigeria is responding appropriately.

Do you know what it takes to be the only one being recommended for a second term contest for such an exulted position with many vested interest? Ethics they are talking about is like calling a goat bad name to find reason to use it for feasting.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by LastProphet: 8:57am On May 29, 2020
frog12:
tell us more of chinelo and her stay at pencom.

There's no DG of pencom that has been clean including the current one Aisha. And besides the allegations you read in newspaper against Chinelo you can add selling of employment to kinsmen which is my own personal experience of her. I know a couple of them personally some former FCMB bank staff Main branch opp NNPC towers. Those that are clean can't hide in Nigeria because they are few.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by zsch: 9:45am On May 29, 2020
weblord1900:
He should be investigated. Maybe U. S saw something they didn't see. Investigation is not a bad thing

He has been investigated and been declared innocent.
See below for more

seunmsg:
The bank’s internal procedures are clear, it is only the ethics committee that can investigate the president. The ethics committee probed him for three good months and found nothing, that should be the end of the matter. If the US want another investigation, there must be an amendment to the rules and regulations of the bank. Corruption cannot be fought through illegality. An independent investigation of the president is in violation of the banks rules, regulations and governance system.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Mordecai(m): 9:50am On May 29, 2020
seunmsg:
This is a welcome development. Africa must unite to stop the attempt by US to impose a stooge as president of the bank. Kudos to president Obasanjo and the FG of Nigeria for this promt intervention. Hopefully, ECOWAS and Africa Union will also take similar position as the FG of Nigeria. This is a fight for the development, progress, and freedom of Africa and not Adesina’s fight alone.

I have no issues with your submission. Just with the tribalism rumbling underneath everything you post on this forum.

Now, it's "president Obasanjo". No more insults. Because he supports Adesina.

While I support Adesina for national and Pan-African reasons, I hope I can say the same for you.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by seunmsg(m): 10:03am On May 29, 2020
Mordecai:

I have no issues with your submission. Just with the tribalism rumbling underneath everything you post on this forum.

Now, it's "president Obasanjo". No more insults. Because he supports Adesina.

While I support Adesina for national and Pan-African reasons, I hope I can say the same for you.

I still don’t get why some of you cannot differentiate between partisanship and tribalism. I’m a very partisan poster on this forum and I’ve never hidden that part of me. However, tribalism is not my thing. Occasionally, I may banter with Igbo handles, it’s just bants and nothing else. That doesn’t make me a tribalist in any way.

Posting in favour of APC against PDP is not tribalism. PDP is not a tribe.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by rapcy(m): 10:08am On May 29, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

OBJ did nothing for Nigeria, but introduce corruption and thuggery into the electoral process.
Wetin you bin think say be the wahala wey him cause before. Abi you no know say Na the problem wey we still dey face?
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Babinski: 10:37am On May 29, 2020
Tedpgrass:

Thanks for a well written premise..

The rejoinder to that includes the following..

Are the internal rules of the organisation being flouted by the request for an external investigation.. Yes

Is there evidence of a flagrant disregard for due process.. Other than the assault allegations not charges against his protégé.. I would argue No..

As its common to headhunt into sensitive positions, I'd be conducive of his efforts to get the best heads and hands on board to aid his tenure.

Has the call for an external investigation followed due process... No.. Let there be a change in internal processes or code of conduct and then external bodies can start sticking in their noses after following due process, not before.

I'm poorly tolerant of meddlesome behaviour of some countries who often don't have the moral justification. This smacks of such an initiative.

I am pleased by your topical response and approach to addressing the issue based on applicable rules and regulations.

I have taken time to read through the 16 allegations against Adesina which are clearly damning. The 16th allegation against him of politic activity for private gain is particularly dangerous because of its capability to undermine the mechanism for all checks and balances institutionally designed to keep him in line at the AfDB. The AfDB Board of Governors are appointment or elected from people put forward by the member countries and organizations. If the Heads of States of the countries are lobbied and compromised, the Board is automatically compromised. It is also little wonder from such perspective that Adesina is unopposed in his reelection bid.

If there is strong likelihood of the AfDB Board of Governors being compromised and the President is being accused of weighty allegations capable of undermining the institutional integrity of the bank, what do you think is the best thing to do?

The USA's request for an independent investigation and the support by Germany and others for it is clearly an expression of lack of confidence in the AfDB Governing Board and mechanism for internal discipline of an erring President.

In the instance of the foregoing, to label the call for independent investigation by the USA, Germany, etc as meddlesomeness is tantamount to saying so about shareholders calling the CEO and Board of a company to question outside the purview of the company and the Board. They clearly have rights to do so.

In my opinion, Nigeria has no moral right to call out USA on the issue because a similar scenario played out in the challenges of the NJC beibg able to sanction an erring CJN, (a problem that had been echoed earlier by Musdapher, a retired CJN) and Buhari's approach to addressing the matter relating to Onnoghen is well beneath the USA approach. We should not also forget that it is in this Nigeria that Ibori was acquitted of 107 charges and yet convicted on less than 30% of those charges in the UK with a prison sentence.

Adesina's defense against the allegations is more of an appeal to technicalities and the dimensions of racial and regional sentiments being introduced are capable of setting very dangerous precedents that may well sound the death knell for accountability and integrity at the AfDB.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by perrybrain(m): 11:05am On May 29, 2020
ThereIsHopee:
Wow!
Please am interested... 09011940788
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by mvem(m): 11:41am On May 29, 2020
Tedpgrass:

He might not have a "defined" role presently but don't think he has no say on matters..

He's joined the stables of "previous 1st world leaders" where his words will be respected.. Hence the need to be careful of his words and actions.

Na the ones who are hungry but more often trying to cover their tracks that go for envoy positions and the like.

just like an elder states man, his word will be respected. But he has no powers or office. Where is George Bush, Clinton,jimmy carter...till today their words are respected but they have totally no power. Unlike Africa or Nigeria in the US if you are an exe president you don't even involve yourself in politics anymore
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Bahdsypha(m): 12:57pm On May 29, 2020
chaloskyx:
OBJ i support your stand however let the AFDB conduct its own internal investigation and arrive at a conclusion free from external pressure or control
They've done that for three good months...and did not find him wanting
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by xpool(m): 1:30pm On May 29, 2020
Vicyace:

Like the Americans are saints? WTH

Hmmm, fantastically corrupt country , nigeria
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by TheStarsAlign: 3:46pm On May 29, 2020
Sinzu FC in relegation zone
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by SirMichael1: 4:04pm On May 29, 2020
SirMichael1:
And to get credence, he needs the US to walk him through an investigation that had been carried out on him for 3 months, even if they'll have to break protocols? All I see is the US telling the bank's internal Investigators that they don't really know how to do their job. It has more to do with ethics than the claim to corruption.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by ayobaye(m): 8:14pm On May 29, 2020
anonymous1759:

Shut up shut up shut up!!! Like what they saw in Libya, Iraq, Syria Afghanistan, Venezuela, Bolivia etc you Better go and reset your head password western media has rubbished it.

America can see, yet they don't see the white supremacist killing African Americans in cold blood.
You think what happened in Libya can't happen in Nigeria abi? after hijacking the Africa Development bank the next will be Nigeria's presidency it's because of people like you and our useless leaders the West can Penetrate us.

You faulted all the investigation done by your fellow Africans but accepted the concurted lies of the west you should be Ashamed of yourself if you're above 25yrs and reason like this.

Good job by OBJ and mins of finance I'm 100% in accordance with the letter it's more about independent than corruption. Hope this will be a wake up call to all the leaders and the youths.

Adeshina is one of the best yet they want to rubbish him that's how they killed Gaddafi it's becoming glaring the west don't mean good for Africa. They've succeeded in pulling Allen onyema have they seem anything on him yet? And yet you believe them better wake up if you're sleeping.

You are analytically right my brother. Some Africans especially Nigerians don't see anything good in our colour except that the thing comes from US, UK they will not be satisfied. What good do they believe is derivable from them? It is high time we wake up from our slumbers Africans. They make us serve in their countries and still coming to Africa to degrade us. We need a better focused orientation so that we will not be perpetually under servitude.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by AhoadaRivers: 3:25pm On May 30, 2020
seunmsg:

The bank’s internal procedures are clear, it is only the ethics committee that can investigate the president. The ethics committee probed him for three good months and found nothing, that should be the end of the matter. If the US want another investigation, there must be an amendment to the rules and regulations of the bank. Corruption cannot be fought through illegality. An independent investigation of the president is in violation of the banks rules, regulations and governance system.

You are talking rubbish. No man chairs his own probe. If the probe must be seen as credible and he is confident of no wrongdoing, he should step down.

The US is a stakeholder in that bank and have every right to ask for proper accountability.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code / President Muhammadu Buhari Receives Yemi Osinbajo At The State House (Photos) / Donald Duke And Wife Visit Buhari (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.