Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,218 members, 7,873,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 10:19 PM

All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun (1376 Views)

Acura Type-s, Successor To The Acura TLX Sedan, Unveiled - Photos / Should I Buy A 2007/2008 Acura tl Type S / Acura Tl Type S 2008 For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun by donstefano8(m): 11:59pm On May 30, 2020
[/b]2021 Acura TLX Performance[b]
Style with no substance can be fun, but not for long. To endure, a car needs to offer as much of both as possible. The 2021 Acura TLX aims to do that with a strong base configuration and an even stronger Type S.

The base TLX isn't just a base car, though. Doing the reverse of how most manufacturers approach the design of a new sport sedan, Acura started with the structure it needed for the Type S, then dialed it back for the base TLX, a decision Acura hopes will show through in the base car's performance.

Under the hood of the 2021 Acura TLX, you'll find a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder rated for 272 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. Those figures represent peak increases of 66 hp and 98 lb-ft over the previous TLX's entry-level engine—in fact, the new turbo-four makes 13 lb-ft more torque than the previous TLX's V-6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lHnjiBLkBY

2021 Acura TLX 162021 Acura TLX 16
filterSEE ALL 23 PHOTOS
The 2.0-liter turbo TLX engine mates to a 10-speed automatic transmission, which is tuned for more aggressive acceleration and response than the previous TLX's 8-speed dual-clutch and 9-speed automatic. The new 10-speed is also capable of four-gear direct downshifts. The 2021 Acura TLX Type S will also use the 10-speed automatic, but with unique Type S tuning and upgrades to handle the increased power and torque.

For the Type S, Acura will launch a new Acura-specific (not shared with Honda) 3.0-liter single-turbo V-6. Because the Type S won't launch until the spring of 2021, Acura remains mum on power and torque output and other Type S performance metrics. We expect to learn more as we get closer to the Type S's full unveiling.

Acura's fourth-generation SH-AWD all-wheel-drive system, optional in the base TLX and standard on Type S, delivers 30-percent quicker torque transfer to the rear axle, and 40-percent greater total torque capacity. Up to 70 percent of the engine's torque can be sent to the rear wheels, and 100 percent of the torque sent rearward can be directed to either side. On top of the rear-biased power delivery, the rear axle is continuously overdriven by 2.9 percent for improved turn-in and cornering.

The electric power-steering system also gets some changes for the 2021 TLX. Gone is the rack-and-pinion electric-assist system, replaced by a belt-driven electric assist.

Not all of the performance upgrades to the 2021 Acura TLX come in the form of hardware, though. Acura's Integrated Dynamics System (the marque's name for its performance-settings control suite) now offers a user-programmable Individual mode in addition to the familiar Comfort, Normal, Sport, and, on Type S models, Sport+ modes. The Individual mode isn't just a first for the TLX, it's a first for Acura.

Cc; Radautoworks, kingreign, weyreypey
Cc; Nurey, HeavenlyBang, GAZZUZZ,Autogosh,CarGuideNGR

1 Like

Re: All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun by donstefano8(m): 12:00am On May 31, 2020
donstefano8:
[/b]2021 Acura TLX Performance[b]
Style with no substance can be fun, but not for long. To endure, a car needs to offer as much of both as possible. The 2021 Acura TLX aims to do that with a strong base configuration and an even stronger Type S.

The base TLX isn't just a base car, though. Doing the reverse of how most manufacturers approach the design of a new sport sedan, Acura started with the structure it needed for the Type S, then dialed it back for the base TLX, a decision Acura hopes will show through in the base car's performance.

Under the hood of the 2021 Acura TLX, you'll find a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder rated for 272 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. Those figures represent peak increases of 66 hp and 98 lb-ft over the previous TLX's entry-level engine—in fact, the new turbo-four makes 13 lb-ft more torque than the previous TLX's V-6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lHnjiBLkBY

2021 Acura TLX 162021 Acura TLX 16
filterSEE ALL 23 PHOTOS
The 2.0-liter turbo TLX engine mates to a 10-speed automatic transmission, which is tuned for more aggressive acceleration and response than the previous TLX's 8-speed dual-clutch and 9-speed automatic. The new 10-speed is also capable of four-gear direct downshifts. The 2021 Acura TLX Type S will also use the 10-speed automatic, but with unique Type S tuning and upgrades to handle the increased power and torque.

For the Type S, Acura will launch a new Acura-specific (not shared with Honda) 3.0-liter single-turbo V-6. Because the Type S won't launch until the spring of 2021, Acura remains mum on power and torque output and other Type S performance metrics. We expect to learn more as we get closer to the Type S's full unveiling.

Acura's fourth-generation SH-AWD all-wheel-drive system, optional in the base TLX and standard on Type S, delivers 30-percent quicker torque transfer to the rear axle, and 40-percent greater total torque capacity. Up to 70 percent of the engine's torque can be sent to the rear wheels, and 100 percent of the torque sent rearward can be directed to either side. On top of the rear-biased power delivery, the rear axle is continuously overdriven by 2.9 percent for improved turn-in and cornering.

The electric power-steering system also gets some changes for the 2021 TLX. Gone is the rack-and-pinion electric-assist system, replaced by a belt-driven electric assist.

Not all of the performance upgrades to the 2021 Acura TLX come in the form of hardware, though. Acura's Integrated Dynamics System (the marque's name for its performance-settings control suite) now offers a user-programmable Individual mode in addition to the familiar Comfort, Normal, Sport, and, on Type S models, Sport+ modes. The Individual mode isn't just a first for the TLX, it's a first for Acura.

Cc; Radautoworks, kingreign, weyreypey
Cc; Nurey, HeavenlyBang, GAZZUZZ,Autogosh,CarGuideNGR

Re: All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:55am On May 31, 2020
Finally Acura delivers a proper competitive sports sedans. Amazing design, all around.

Hopefully the Type-S gets into the 380-400 HP region. Good competition for the M340i, C43 AMG, and Q60 RS.
Re: All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun by donstefano8(m): 8:18am On May 31, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Finally Acura delivers a proper competitive sports sedans. Amazing design, all around.

Hopefully the Type-S gets into the 380-400 HP region. Good competition for the M340i, C43 AMG, and Q60 RS.

Really hoping that the powerplant in the type S would get those numbers at least 350BHP.
Re: All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:28am On May 31, 2020
donstefano8:

Really hoping that the powerplant in the type S would get those numbers at least 350BHP.

It'll definitely be more than 350 HP. Anything less isn't competitive.

The 2.0T on the Civic Type R already pushes over 300 HP, this 3.0T should go well over 350 HP.

The C43 does 385, the M340i does 382, the Q60 Red Sport does 400. All of them have 3L turbocharged engines.

I'm curious why Acura went with a single turbo, though. And that's probably the biggest issue here, as if they use a larger turbo, that means turbo lag. This could mean a smaller turbo, implying less power. All those cars I listed have twin turbo systems.

1 Like

Re: All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun by donstefano8(m): 7:01am On Sep 28, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

It'll definitely be more than 350 HP. Anything less isn't competitive.

The 2.0T on the Civic Type R already pushes over 300 HP, this 3.0T should go well over 350 HP.

The C43 does 385, the M340i does 382, the Q60 Red Sport does 400. All of them have 3L turbocharged engines.

I'm curious why Acura went with a single turbo, though. And that's probably the biggest issue here, as if they use a larger turbo, that means turbo lag. This could mean a smaller turbo, implying less power. All those cars I listed have twin turbo systems.

Acura will now offer a Type-S performance trim on all of their models starting with the TLX Type S. The TLX Type S is powered by a 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 engine which produces a stout 355 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque.

For me this is a bit disappointing as I was hoping and expecting close to 390Hp cry, I guess it will be left to the streets to bump that BHP.
Re: All-new 2021 Acura TLX & Type S Get Serious About Fun by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:24am On Sep 28, 2020
donstefano8:

Acura will now offer a Type-S performance trim on all of their models starting with the TLX Type S. The TLX Type S is powered by a 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 engine which produces a stout 355 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque.

For me this is a bit disappointing as I was hoping and expecting close to 390Hp cry, I guess it will be left to the streets to bump that BHP.

Yeah. I expect the Type S will be able to hit 420 HP with just a tune.

(1) (Reply)

Engineers Don't You Think Vehicles Should Be Built With Stronger Frames? / When Last Did You See The Peugeot 404 salon ? / Between Toyota Camry 96 And Honda Bullet Help Me Choose.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.