Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,845 members, 7,872,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:21 PM

Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? (1610 Views)

Who Knows About Or Have Worked With This Company? / Have You Ever Worked Where You Had To Submit Your Phone Before Resuming / The Worst Employer You Ever Worked With And Why Did You Quit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Leezah(f): 8:46am On Jun 01, 2020
Hey guys, So if you ever worked with a Nigerian startup before, then let's get on this;
1. Would you work for another Nigerian startup?
2. Describe their culture in two words?
3. What did you like?
4. What should change?

1 Like

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Slickbishop(m): 9:03am On Jun 01, 2020
what is the essence of all these qsts,

6 Likes

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Leezah(f): 9:46am On Jun 01, 2020
To help the starts ups and intending employees
Slickbishop:
what is the essence of all these qsts,
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by nhurhetee(m): 11:24pm On Jun 01, 2020
All of'em aint loyal. Once u contribute with ur idea & energy from start, let them achieve. They send u away and bring relatives to occupy ur post. It happened to me before.

8 Likes

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Leezah(f): 2:35pm On Jun 02, 2020
Is from experience?
nhurhetee:
All of'em aint loyal. Once u contribute with ur idea & energy from start, let them achieve. They send u away and bring relatives to occupy ur post. It happened to me before.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by nhurhetee(m): 5:48pm On Jun 02, 2020
Leezah:
Is from experience?
yeah.
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Terver90: 5:58pm On Jun 02, 2020
nhurhetee:
That is too bad.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Leezah(f): 12:12pm On Jun 05, 2020
grin grin grin
nhurhetee:

yeah.
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by dadebayo1(m): 3:41pm On Jun 11, 2020
Yes... Wetin my eyes see during my early job search days ehnnn.... The man employed about 15 of us back then... Majorly to help market a tradefair event.. We worked very hard as a team to help mobilize various companies for the event.. They all booked space and paid and everyone noticed the huge flow of funds... Only for Oga Delight to bring in delay tactics into payment of salary after the whole event... Baba started playing hide and seek with members of staff and stayed away from office for a while... He basically did not pay anyone of us for the three months we worked for him... First month probation second month story while third month nobody told anyone before we all knew we had actually wasted time and personal resources for a man who took advantage of us.... Tried to get our pay but then we just could not get hold of oga Delight... Always difficult for start ups to start on a smooth ride, i noticed majority actually need dedicated staff to help with a solid foundation while sacrificing for the company but truth is majority of the companies actually do not pay back loyalty..

3 Likes

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Ucee1999: 7:07am On Aug 29, 2020
nhurhetee:

Not sure if it's all that do that.

1 Like

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Leezah(f): 9:01am On Aug 29, 2020
Ucee1999:

Share your experience
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by benjanjo1: 9:45am On Aug 29, 2020
I worked for a startup (tech company) immediately after obtaining my postgraduate degree. I only stayed at home for about three months before the opportunity came cheesy

To be honest, it wasn't bad at all. I basically used it as a launch pad to kick-start my career. I had a great time working for them and contributed my quota to pushing the company forward. I bounced after a year of working for them. The company is still in existence today.

I might consider working for a startup again, if I am given a flexible work schedule.

7 Likes

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by nhurhetee(m): 4:03pm On Aug 29, 2020
Ucee1999:

U sure
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Ucee1999: 6:21pm On Aug 29, 2020
nhurhetee:

U sure

Yeah depending on the agreement you've made with your employer. When you make an agreement/deal with the employer in favor of you and the company, I believe he will not breach the deal if he's a God-fearing person. But if he does, then you'd have to let God settle the case. He will reap what he has sowed.
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Leezah(f): 6:22pm On Aug 29, 2020
Ucee1999:

Yeah depending on the agreement you've made with your employer. When you make an agreement/deal with the employer in favor of you and the company, I believe he will not breach the deal if he's a God-fearing person But if he does, then you'd have to let God settle the case. He will reap what he has sowed.
They are the worst.
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Ucee1999: 6:26pm On Aug 29, 2020
benjanjo1:
I worked for a startup (tech company) immediately after obtaining my postgraduate degree. I only stayed at home for about three months before the opportunity came cheesy

To be honest, it wasn't bad at all. I basically used it as a launch pad to kick-start my career. I had a great time working for them and contributed my quota to pushing the company forward. I bounced after a year of working for them. The company is still in existence today.

I might consider working for a startup again, if I am given a flexible work schedule.

Why did you left the company?
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Ucee1999: 6:28pm On Aug 29, 2020
Leezah:
They are the worst.
Explain how they are the worst please
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Leezah(f): 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2020
Ucee1999:

Explain how they are the worst please
All these so called God fearing people are the most wicked people. I worked with a start up Pastor I did everything with my mind for 6 months e go better e go better na im I take leave the work.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by NigAmbassador: 6:32pm On Aug 29, 2020
benjanjo1:

Can I link up with you?
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Ucee1999: 6:34pm On Aug 29, 2020
Leezah:
All these so called God fearing people are the most wicked people. I worked with a start up Pastor I did everything with my mind for 6 months e go better e go better na im I take leave the work.

Wow. What an unfortunate experience.

Anyway, you shouldn't generalize them as worst because of the experience you've had with one of them. I can relate to what you just said sha.

Although, I still work with a start up company presently and my salary was affected because of the lock down. But I still believe things will work out well in the future. Or what do you think? Should I stay or leave?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by benjanjo1: 8:52pm On Aug 29, 2020
Ucee1999:

Why did you left the company?

simple. I got another job with bigger pay smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by benjanjo1: 8:54pm On Aug 29, 2020
NigAmbassador:
Can I link up with you?
yeah! fire away

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Leezah(f): 9:20pm On Aug 29, 2020
Ucee1999:

Wow. What an unfortunate experience.

Anyway, you shouldn't generalize them as worst because of the experience you've had with one of them. I can relate to what you just said sha.

Although, I still work with a start up company presently and my salary was affected because of the lock down. But I still believe things will work out well in the future. Or what do you think? Should I stay or leave?
weight your options and your career part if it align with your aspirations then give them a chance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by DaBogu: 9:36am On May 18, 2022
kiss
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by QuinModah(f): 11:22am On Jul 15, 2023
shocked
nhurhetee:
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by GraceAndPeace: 2:30pm On Jul 15, 2023
Some are great, some are not. Such is life.

I'm also growing a start up in my own little capacity by posting genuine jobs on the site.

Modified:

If you are job hunting you can check out some here https:///184037139835240/
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Hamachi(f): 10:02am On Apr 11
It's was a private firm in Lekki, he always wants his employees to work even when there is nothing to do with stupid daily, weekly and monthly reports (For a Receptionist/Admin position o!). He hates it when he sees us idle.
My cousin sister worked in one company nativetalk that one is employ and fire after your first 3 month and they would lure you with big salary, no matter how you try your best, with your ideas and innovative ways of doing things, they still feel you are not doing enough.

It's was one manufacturing company in Lagos o, I got employed with good salary in the company to head the internal control unit in August 2016, I got my full salary in first two months until the third month and they tell me the company want to reduce cost and my salary will be cut by 30% I thought it was a joke until the salary was paid and truth be told 30% was out of it, I find it difficult to go back to my former company then I decided to continuing manage the salary like that.

December that year, the Chairman and MD called a meeting and in the meeting they concluded that all Management staffs except the Accountant will be working inside the factory as supervisors for 4months because company wants to reduce number of staff, so the junior staff in the factory would be sacked and the factory supervisors will be demoted to factory boys while we management staff will become supervisors, the Chairman now said if any of us don't like the decision, we should not come to office again until they reverse the decision. I didn't say anything in the meeting then I picked my car key and drove home straight, I didn't show up again throughout that month, when month ended I didn't see Salary,I called HR and the Accountant,they said Chairman didn't approve my Salary because I didn't come to work, I said no problem..you people are just helping me to save my money, following Month I didn't go, I demanded for my salary again, the same was said.
Then I wrote my resignation letter and i took it to the company, meanwhile my agreement with the company was that I must give a month notice whenever I want to resign so in my letter I gave them another one month notice. The I enveloped it with acknowledgement copy. I gave it to the HR, she signed the acknowledgment copy and I left.

In the evening the HR called me to come to the office the following day, when I got there, she brought out termination letter for me and asks me to sign the acknowledgment, I was just laughing , so you received my resignation letter yesterday and brought sack letter today? Ok, Meanwhile it was part of the agreement that whenever I got sacked by the company, one month salary must be paid to me. Company owes me two months salary before then plus additional one month salary, making 3months. So I told her is either you people pay me my last two months salary and allow me to spend another one month notice with you and still pay me or you pay me 3 months salary and I accept the sack letter. You people should accept one. Then the HR called attention of the chairman to this the chairman invited me to his office and I let him realize that there was agreement and nowhere in my appointment letter shows that my salary will be deducted, my dept will be changed and he was the one that said I should not come to work if I'm not ready to accept his decision so our agreements were well stated and I never break anyone. So if u are not satisfy with this u can go to court sir.

When the man see say my own madness pass his own he has to invite company consultants to talk to me ,they have to just beg me to collect two months salary with the condition that they will accept my resignation letter.

Naso I left the God forsaken company o

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by IyaTola: 2:57pm On Apr 11
Grab pop corn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by Rubyjade: 9:24am On Apr 13
Re: Ever Worked With A Nigerian Startup Before? by lavylilly: 1:29pm On Jun 09
shocked

(1) (Reply)

Job Opening - Farm Attendants/workers Needed ( Feeding And Housing Available ) / Job Vacancy For Customer Service Representative In Lekki, Lagos / All Job Career Subscribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.