Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,324 members, 7,888,026 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:45 PM

Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? (44787 Views)

Census: My First Census Experience As A Single Living Alone. Hows It Going To Be / At 23 Years Old, I Have No Idea What I Am Doing With My Life / Man Buys His Daughter N35m BMW, A Job, An Apartment For Graduating At 23(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
Staying alone is the best option.

What you have to do is stay humble, gentle, prayer and not be afraid.

Don't be too naive to rush in a relationship with cramps cause der might ruin urlife.

Takecare of yourself.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,
I'm not really someone who listens to what people say but I just want to share this so that y'all can air your views.

I'm a young girl, 23 and an orphan, dropped out of school and came to Lagos to make ends meet. When I first came to Lagos, I stayed with a married female cousin of mine, along the line, the husband started making advances to me which I politely declined. He got angry and told his wife to throw me out of the house, and yes she did.

I was thrown out of the house without anywhere to go and as someone who has survived losing both parents at such a young age, I literally lived and survived in the streets. Did all sorts of menial jobs, hawked purewater, soft drinks, worked in a bar and all that before I finally got an apartment.

The story isn't quite necessary but when I get talking with people and I tell them that I stay alone, next thing I'll hear is "you're too young to stay alone... it's not a good idea...blah blah blah. Some older woman even told me to go back to my cousin's house and beg them so I can continue staying with them, another told me that it's better I stay with my boyfriend than staying alone.

I really don't understand all these talks, like despite all I've been through, isn't staying alone the best option? Or is there something wrong with staying alone as a single young lady?

Your humble opinion is needed, thanks
Am 24 so let stay together and make a family how about that.... Fb Owen Jesse... Am in Benin right now good day smiley
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by bigl: 5:16pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,
I'm not really someone who listens to what people say but I just want to share this so that y'all can air your views.

I'm a young girl, 23 and an orphan, dropped out of school and came to Lagos to make ends meet. When I first came to Lagos, I stayed with a married female cousin of mine, along the line, the husband started making advances to me which I politely declined. He got angry and told his wife to throw me out of the house, and yes she did.

I was thrown out of the house without anywhere to go and as someone who has survived losing both parents at such a young age, I literally lived and survived in the streets. Did all sorts of menial jobs, hawked purewater, soft drinks, worked in a bar and all that before I finally got an apartment.

The story isn't quite necessary but when I get talking with people and I tell them that I stay alone, next thing I'll hear is "you're too young to stay alone... it's not a good idea...blah blah blah. Some older woman even told me to go back to my cousin's house and beg them so I can continue staying with them, another told me that it's better I stay with my boyfriend than staying alone.

I really don't understand all these talks, like despite all I've been through, isn't staying alone the best option? Or is there something wrong with staying alone as a single young lady?

Eeya, ignore the noise and continue to live your life!

My dad too was really mad at me when i left my aunt's place at what age sef?

As long as u know what you are doing, please, move on with your plan!

Make a huge success out of yourself and show them you are quite fine living alone!

And let them know that despite "being alone now, you are not lonely"
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by jahlove4jah: 5:17pm On Jun 10, 2020
Michelle55:
There's absolutely nothing wrong in staying alone.. Just be mindful of the kinda company you keep and exercise self-control at all times.
You can't please everyone dear, just live your best life and be true to yourself!
No one has the monopoly to your happiness.. If staying alone gives you the peace of mind you deserve as human, then go for it.
Beautifully said
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2020
@AmIaYahooGirl you made it this far without much input from random talkers
& now that you've earned enough to afford an apartment, you are allowing their thoughts to govern your decision making!

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Cheeryfeet: 5:30pm On Jun 10, 2020
Sweet heart, your case is different. Stay alone, hustle hard and stay away from useless boys. You will succeed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Dandsome: 5:32pm On Jun 10, 2020
I don't think Independence is ever a bad idea

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nmezor(f): 5:32pm On Jun 10, 2020
RPG2020:

Roommate or fuckingmate?
A Good roommate...I am referring to a chikito oga

3 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by oluwaecan(m): 5:35pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

for you sanity please stay alone if the you have being able to rent a house by urself and paying ur little bills stay alone it is very important

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by mechanics(m): 5:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
Not a bad idea in your own case, just be faithful and don't trust anyone, why most people will say that is because maybe you want to live a free life to avoid disturbance and do whatever you want to do.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Promise47(m): 5:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
I wish I saw you Early you are two Good to suffer
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by oluxy(m): 5:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
Alero3Arubi:
Well i do not see anything wrong with you living alone.
Heck you have peace of mind now, knowinv your struggles is for yourself.
Girl you really do not know what privilege you have.

Smile...... U wished u were the one.
Are u caged or something?

Don't worry, soonest u will get ur air.
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by ABSTRUSE: 6:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

May I join you, please.
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Androidlic: 6:10pm On Jun 10, 2020
You should be running errand for your parent at that age
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Ikennablue(m): 6:12pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

you're really a strong person, i so much admire your strength and will to be independent in a humble way. I pray God make a way for you.
Regarding staying alone. The problem is you're vulnerable to all these wicked people going around but to a large extent it depends on where you stay. If you stay in a compound that is not isolated and where you are in friendly terms with your neighbors. I mean those kind of neighbors that can look out for you. Then you should be just fine.

Regarding what you are doing. Why not consider going back to school or learning a skill?

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by 3phase(m): 6:16pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nothing do u my dear. I left Nigeria for S/A as a 21 years old hustler with literally nobody to stay with in a foreign land...My signature( Everyday that am alive, i gat to live) is what keeps me going until God change my story.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by candidbabe(f): 6:17pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
The pms ain't necessary, drop ur opinions here... I'll read it.... thank you
if you can afford to pay your bills stay alone,
don't ever live with a boyfriend

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by saintneo(m): 6:30pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

Life has made you grow up, life has made you independent. Unless for security sake please enjoy your accomodations.
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by dingbang(m): 6:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
You aren't the only young female living alone.. So don't feel too special.
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by meobizy(f): 6:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nigerians do not like seeing people being independent, not even their own children. You are not a 23 year old girl, you are a 23 year old woman. If you stay alone and are thriving then I don’t see any reason why things should change. The only thing you should worry about is security. If thieves come over they won’t have mercy on you. Try to stay in a place where you are sure of not facing such. Other than that I can suggest you living with parents, but that’s mostly in the case of trying to reduce expenses.

You say you are one who doesn’t follow advice or need it. Why are you then seeking advice? Don’t waste my time here.

3 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by AmIaYahooGirl(f): 6:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
Ikennablue:
you're really a strong person, i so much admire your strength and will to be independent in a humble way. I pray God make a way for you.
Regarding staying alone. The problem is you're vulnerable to all these wicked people going around but to a large extent it depends on where you stay. If you stay in a compound that is not isolated and where you are in friendly terms with your neighbors. I mean those kind of neighbors that can look out for you. Then you should be just fine.

Regarding what you are doing. Why not consider going back to school or learning a skill?

Yes, I'll go back to school soon...part time though .. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Rapture4real(m): 7:03pm On Jun 10, 2020
Michelle55:
There's absolutely nothing wrong in staying alone.. Just be mindful of the kinda company you keep and exercise self-control at all times.
You can't please everyone dear, just live your best life and be true to yourself!
No one has the monopoly to your happiness.. If staying alone gives you the peace of mind you deserve as human, then go for it.

The only reason I can discourage a lady.not to stay alone esp.if she is born again is to avoid.undue pressure from.men who see a lady.living alone as a sex object.If.youre living with a grown up person,it provides a shield against such.But if you can handle the situation,no.problem.Another thing is security.There are ladies of your age who live alone and no dare mess up with them.It depends on who you are and what you want.Go back to school.Be closer to God and dedicated.to God's service.Your cousin didnt do well at all.Dont nurse bitterness against her.God wants to bring out something out of it.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by ikpochi(m): 7:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
My do not listen to what people are saying. If you can afford to stay alone please do. All you need do is to stay focused.you know where you are coming from so continue doing your best to better life. Always put God first in all you do nd he will direct your part. Avoid unnecessary acquaintances that will derail the lord will see you through. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by MedicBlaze(m): 7:12pm On Jun 10, 2020
I Started staying on my own from 16, I'm a guy though and matured quite early both physically and mentally so maybe it doesn't count.

But there's nothing wrong with doing so, infact it's the appropriate thing to do but our Nigeria countrywide culture strives to keep us home until maybe after marriage.

Reason why you see people of 30+ with exposure of 15 yrs old in this country and zero independence-minded.

You're on the right track.

2 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by deedan9(m): 7:20pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:

I made the decision of staying alone at 25. I am 27 now. And yes, everyone was surprised I left home. They never believed I could take that step, especially when the economic condition of Nigeria is not helping.

People will always talk, no matter what. Just do your thing and live your life. If you find love, that's good. Don't show a bad attitude to those who think you should not be living alone. You can learn a lot from whatever they will say to you.

I have always tried to mind my own business, and that has been very helpful. Assuming we live close, we would even become friends. You get sense!
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by pweetiedee(m): 7:21pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

Rent ur apartment. You're an adult

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Estellie: 7:21pm On Jun 10, 2020
Been living alone since 18
No regrets at all

What anyone thinks or says shouldn't bother you at all, please don't let it bother you...
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by tuto: 7:36pm On Jun 10, 2020
it is not really a bad idea living alone at 23, to guys it isnt a bad thing but to ladies the scociety believes such a lady will be promiscuous.
one of the big reason they are asking you twice.
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by NosaHenry(m): 7:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
You are already street wise going by what you have been through. Staying alone wouldn't be a problem, just be more vigilant and don't invite people you don't know very well to your home.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Funmitybose(f): 8:15pm On Jun 10, 2020
Don't mind them just stay calm and focus.cause non of your advisers are ready to Co habit u.fill free to live a normal life and be careful of men.God will direct you
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by addexx: 9:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

Do Not let anyone talk you out of staying alone because of their own insecurities and the ancient dogma they carry on their heads like gélé. You are on the right track , it'll give you enough privacy and peace of mind to map out the next direction of your life and also enjoy your youth and spinsterhood( responsibly). Do Not tolerate anyone that will misjudge you because of this decision. All the best dear.
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by lekonso: 9:20pm On Jun 10, 2020
There is nothing wrong in staying alone at your age. You are not too young staying alone at 23. More so what you have gone through has made you to be matured than your age mates. My advice to you is that continue to live a righteous life and be patient enough to wait for the right man to marry you. You will not regret your life in future. I will like to introduce you to an instagram page of Daneil Akpata. When you get there, send a whatsapp message to him that you are interested in self discovery materials. He will send some materials to you that will be of very good help to your life, good luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Brother's Wife Wouldn't Let Their Children Go To School Because Of This / A Married Man Almost Died When His Mistress Got Married. / My Daughters Lied That Their Father Had Sex With Them….

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.