Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,683 members, 7,951,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 05:09 AM

Collymore To LFC Fans "Timo Werner Is NOT Lionel Messi Or Cristiano Ronaldo" - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Collymore To LFC Fans "Timo Werner Is NOT Lionel Messi Or Cristiano Ronaldo" (253 Views)

Chelsea Vs Aston Villa Carabao Cup Team News Starting Xi Lukaku Werner / Who Is The Best?lionel Messi Or Cristiano Ronaldo / “lionel Messi Will Never Be A Leader In His Life” – Diego Maradona (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Collymore To LFC Fans "Timo Werner Is NOT Lionel Messi Or Cristiano Ronaldo" by openmine(m): 5:25pm On Jun 09, 2020
Stan Collymore has claimed that Liverpool ’s decision not to sign Timo Werner is “perfect” for them.

Liverpool had been frequently linked with the RB Leipzig striker, only for Chelsea to steal a march on the Reds and become the player’s likely destination.

It is thought the Stamford Bridge outfit are ready to activate the £54m release clause set in Werner’s contract at Leipzig.

When the news surfaced of Liverpool withdrawing their interest in the striker, many Reds fans expressed their frustrations.

But former striker Collymore says Reds fans have nothing to complain about, believing that Werner would have been a flop had he moved to Anfield.

“The deal to take Timo Werner to Chelsea is a perfect arrangement for all concerned,” wrote Collymore, in his column for The Mirror.

“Perfect for the player, perfect for the Blues, perfect for RB Leipzig, who are trousering £53million, and perfect for Liverpool as well.

“He’s a good, solid striker with promise — an all-rounder who holds the ball up well, is mobile, gets into the box and scores goals.

“But the Liverpool fans sobbing about missing out on him can spare me the tears because he’s not Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo and the way some have reacted, you’d be forgiven for thinking he was some sort of reincarnation of both.

“This isn’t to knock Werner or Chelsea because they’re a cracking fit for each other at this point in time, and the Stamford Bridge faithful should be delighted they have got him.

“He will enhance their young team, making them solid top-four contenders and a side that will go deep in domestic and European cup competitions.

“Manager Frank Lampard is building a fine young side and if he gets Ben Chilwell from Leicester as well then they will have had a very good summer.

“But Liverpool are the European champions, world champions and soon-to-be Premier League champions, and there would be massive pressure on him as the summer’s marquee signing at Anfield on the back of all that.

“Add in the fact that Liverpool already have arguably the best-balanced front three in the world and I’m struggling to see where Werner would have fitted in.

“I wouldn’t have seen him displacing any of them and, given everything that team has done together, I could even have seen him flopping.

“Why? Because walking into that dressing room would have been massively intimidating for a 24-year-old.”

Collymore also believes Jurgen Klopp well well within his rights to decide against signing Werner in the current financial climate.

The suspension caused by the coronavirus pandemic has caused financial issues for many clubs up and down the country, and Collymore reckons the Reds are right not to sign Werner.

The ex-Liverpool player added: “As for the notion that Jurgen Klopp couldn’t justify Werner’s fee, I’m sure there is an element of the Kop boss not wanting to appear gaudy or louche in the current climate.

“He’s not a Billy Bull*****er after all.

“Had he firmly believed Werner would be the next Sergio Aguero or Fernando Torres, though, I’m pretty sure he’d have been whipping out the old chequebook in a heartbeat.”
Re: Collymore To LFC Fans "Timo Werner Is NOT Lionel Messi Or Cristiano Ronaldo" by Nobody: 3:11am On Jun 17, 2020
Timbers
Re: Collymore To LFC Fans "Timo Werner Is NOT Lionel Messi Or Cristiano Ronaldo" by Timbers(m): 3:23am On Jun 17, 2020
Booked

(1) (Reply)

Liverpool Vs Arsenal / Watch Live Ucl - Liverpool Vs Villarreal / Frankyjay Prediction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.