Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,192 members, 7,873,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:16 PM

Did Jesus Die On A Cross? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Die On A Cross? (1520 Views)

When the Qur'an is misinterpretated : Did Jesus Die On The Cross? / I Will Die On A Sunday After Eating Pounded Yam – Pastor Adeboye / Why Did Jesus Die? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by chatinent: 10:27pm On Jun 13, 2020
The Bible’s answer
Many view the cross as the most common symbol of Christianity. However, the Bible does not describe the instrument of Jesus’ death, so no one can know its shape with absolute certainty. Still, the Bible provides evidence that Jesus died, not on a cross, but on an upright stake.
The Bible generally uses the Greek word stau·rosʹ when referring to the instrument of Jesus’ execution. ( Matthew 27:40; John 19:17) Although translations often render this word “cross,” many scholars agree that its basic meaning is actually “upright stake.”
According to A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, stau·ros “never means two pieces of wood joining each other at any angle.” The Bible also uses the Greek word xylon as a synonym for stau·ros. ( Acts 5:​30; 1 Peter 2:​24) This word means “wood,” “timber,” “stake,” or “tree.” The Companion Bible thus concludes: “There is nothing in the Greek of the N[ew] T[estament] even to imply two pieces of timber.”
Is using the cross in worship acceptable to God?
Regardless of the shape of the instrument on which Jesus died, the following facts and Bible verses indicate that we should not use the cross in worship.
1. God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use “the form of any symbol” in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to “flee from idolatry.”​— Deuteronomy 4:​ 15-​19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.
2. First-century Christians did not use the cross in worship.
The teachings and example of the apostles set a pattern that all Christians should adhere to.​—2 Thessalonians 2:​15.
3. Use of the cross in worship has a pagan origin.
Hundreds of years after the death of Jesus, when the churches had deviated from his teachings, new church members “were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols,” including the cross. (The Expanded Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words) However, the Bible does not condone adopting pagan symbols to help make new converts.​—2 Corinthians 6:​17.
Please share your comments and opinions. I'm ready to respond to all civil persons.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by AgentNairaland(f): 10:31pm On Jun 13, 2020
IslamaBAD
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by chatinent: 10:31pm On Jun 13, 2020
OAM4J, Seun, Lalasticlala. I think it's FP worthy.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by TheSourcerer: 10:44pm On Jun 13, 2020
Nailed to a cross , figuratively grin
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by chatinent: 10:52pm On Jun 13, 2020
AgentNairaland:
IslamaBAD
Wrong opinion.
TheSourcerer:
Nailed to a cross , figuratively grin
How is it figuratively? Clearly, you didn't read the post.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by shadeyinka(m): 10:52pm On Jun 13, 2020
The Romans crucify criminals on either a STAKE or a CROSS or a "T" or "X" shaped wooden contraption. However, in the case of Jesus it was a Cross else there will be no inscription to hang over His head.

chatinent:
The Bible’s answer
Many view the cross as the most common symbol of Christianity. However, the Bible does not describe the instrument of Jesus’ death, so no one can know its shape with absolute certainty. Still, the Bible provides evidence that Jesus died, not on a cross, but on an upright stake.
The Bible generally uses the Greek word stau·rosʹ when referring to the instrument of Jesus’ execution. ( Matthew 27:40; John 19:17) Although translations often render this word “cross,” many scholars agree that its basic meaning is actually “upright stake.”
According to A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, stau·ros “never means two pieces of wood joining each other at any angle.” The Bible also uses the Greek word xylon as a synonym for stau·ros. ( Acts 5:​30; 1 Peter 2:​24) This word means “wood,” “timber,” “stake,” or “tree.” The Companion Bible thus concludes: “There is nothing in the Greek of the N[ew] T[estament] even to imply two pieces of timber.”
Is using the cross in worship acceptable to God?
Regardless of the shape of the instrument on which Jesus died, the following facts and Bible verses indicate that we should not use the cross in worship.
1. God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use “the form of any symbol” in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to “flee from idolatry.”​— Deuteronomy 4:​ 15-​19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.
2. First-century Christians did not use the cross in worship.
The teachings and example of the apostles set a pattern that all Christians should adhere to.​—2 Thessalonians 2:​15.
3. Use of the cross in worship has a pagan origin.
Hundreds of years after the death of Jesus, when the churches had deviated from his teachings, new church members “were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols,” including the cross. (The Expanded Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words) However, the Bible does not condone adopting pagan symbols to help make new converts.​—2 Corinthians 6:​17.
Please share your comments and opinions. I'm ready to respond to all civil persons.

Please read:
Mat 27:37-38:
"And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand , and another on the left."

Then answer the questions below.

1. If Jesus died on a stake rather than a cross, how come the SIGN was above his HEAD rather than above His HANDs

2. How come the two thieves are at his left and right HANDS rather than his left and right SIDES?

Jesus was crucified on a cross NOT a stake!

Finally, the CROSS as an emblem has no iota of significance in worship. So, the physical CROSS shouldn't have any place in Christian worship.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by TheSourcerer: 10:56pm On Jun 13, 2020
chatinent:

Wrong opinion.

How is it figuratively? Clearly, you didn't read the post.
nailed , bleeped , banged , get it figuratively to a cross ? Smh

And No I didn't bother reading it's all the same BS jesus this Jesus that ,yet no definite Answer.
. I've heard enough Jesus for one day , worst part it's Sunday , Bible thumpers will start filling seats
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by chatinent: 11:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
shadeyinka:

Please read:
"And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand , and another on the left."

1. If Jesus died on a stake rather than a cross, how come the SIGN was above his HEAD rather than above His HANDs

2. How come the two thieves are at his left and right HANDS rather than his left and right SIDES?

Let's draw an analogy from your postulations.
1. You mean it will be wrong if a sign was actually over is hands above the pole and was written 'over his head?' Isn't it really still over his head?
2. Funnily enough, even if one isn't nailed to anything and is just standing, one can really tell who's on the left and right.
Please be constructive on your next post with more scriptural references or other credible references as I did mine. Thanks.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by shadeyinka(m): 11:11pm On Jun 13, 2020
chatinent:

Let's draw an analogy from your postulations.
1. You mean it will be wrong if a sign was actually over is hands above the pole and was written over his head? Isn't it really still over his heads?
2. Funnily enough, even if one isn't nailed to anything and is just standing, one can really tell who's on the left and right.
Please be constructive on your next post with more scriptural references as I did mine. Thanks.
I gave you Mat 27:37-38, did you read it?
1. Why isn't your argument that the sign was above Jesus's Body.?

Above His HEAD is different from above His HANDs.

2. By his left or right is logical rather than by His left Hand or right Hand?

I won't be surprised is you are a JW. It is you people who reinterprete the scriptures to suit your doctrines. If the answer above isn't okay with you, too bad as we all know that you derive joy in calling Black- White just because the old men in your headquarters have brainwashed you so.

Good night

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by Lessonteacher(f): 11:17pm On Jun 13, 2020
i find the subject irrelevant
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by doggedfighter(f): 11:19pm On Jun 13, 2020
Nonsensical

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by chatinent: 11:24pm On Jun 13, 2020
shadeyinka:

I gave you Mat 27:37-38, did you read it?
1. Why isn't your argument that the sign was above Jesus's Body.?

Above His HEAD is different from above His HANDs.

2. By his left or right is logical rather than by His left Hand or right Hand?

I won't be surprised is you are a JW. It is you people who reinterprete the scriptures to suit your doctrines. If the answer above isn't okay with you, too bad as we all know that you derive joy in calling Black- White just because the old men in your headquarters have brainwashed you so.

Good night
Please look up the dictionary meanings for 'above' and 'righthand.' Thanks.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by shadeyinka(m): 11:28pm On Jun 13, 2020
chatinent:

Please look up the dictionary meanings for 'above' and 'righthand.' Thanks.

The Romans crucify criminals on either a STAKE or a CROSS or a "T" or "X" shaped wooden contraption. However, in the case of Jesus it was a Cross else there will be no inscription to hang over His head.

Please read:

Finally, the CROSS as an emblem has no iota of significance in worship. So, the physical CROSS shouldn't have any place in Christian worship.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by hahn(m): 11:56pm On Jun 13, 2020
It never happened

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by Kobojunkie: 4:22am On Jun 14, 2020
@OP, if your point is to say that worshipping or having the image of a cross is idolatry, why not go straight to that? And that would be the truth. But trying to start a debate on whether Jesus wss nailed on a + or a plank and the lot will nit get you there.

The disciples/ apostles in fact had the image of a fish to mark their locations and guide each other to homes that were Christian back in the day. The worship of the cross came in when after the death of the apostles, Christianity was eventually hijacked by greedy Bishops who wanted power and authority/ control over the administration of God and the things of God, just like their predecessors the pharisees and sadducees.
These power hungry/greedy bishops made the decision to make the cross a symbol of Christianity instead, leading to its eventual worship by some.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by AntiChristian: 5:33am On Jun 14, 2020
Q: Was God crucified on a stake or cross?

Mr A: Cross.

Mr B: No, stake.

Bible: Silent.

Holy Spirit A: Cross!

Holy spirit B: Stake!

lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by TheSourcerer: 6:45am On Jun 14, 2020
doggedfighter:
Nonsensical
Jesus forgive you , how can you boldly come out and write 'nonsensical' on an holy thread like this , why are sinners plenty like this Op, me I can't take these sinners anymore oh !
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by TheSourcerer: 6:48am On Jun 14, 2020
AntiChristian:
Q: Was God crucified on a stake or cross?

Mr A: Cross.

Mr B: No, stake.

Bible: Silent.

Holy Spirit A: Cross!

Holy spirit B: Stake!

lipsrsealed
it's like 2+ 2
Chinese Mathematician =22
Greek Mathematician ,= 44
Nigerian MathemathMath = 0.22

Smh

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by TheSourcerer: 6:52am On Jun 14, 2020
shadeyinka:

Please read:

this is one confused post .
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by shadeyinka(m): 7:30am On Jun 14, 2020
TheSourcerer:
this is one confused post .
Why do you people hate the truth so bad?

Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand , and another on the left ."
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by TheSourcerer: 7:34am On Jun 14, 2020
shadeyinka:

Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand , and another on the left ."
wrong person to quote bro
I give literally and figuratively no ounce of fvck for Jesus , no single oucne

Quote Righteousness89 or those other mfs

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by Janosky: 7:41am On Jun 14, 2020
shadeyinka:

Is that inscription ('written, "THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS" '), the instrument of Jesus Christ execution?

Your claim is baseless and FRAUDULENT.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by doggedfighter(f): 7:45am On Jun 14, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Jesus forgive you , how can you boldly come out and write 'nonsensical' on an holy thread like this , why are sinners plenty like this Op, me I can't take these sinners anymore oh !

Father forgive them for they know what they do grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by doggedfighter(f): 7:47am On Jun 14, 2020
TheSourcerer:

Father forgive them for they know not what they do
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by Lessonteacher(f): 7:52am On Jun 14, 2020
TheSourcerer:
get the hell out of here
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by orisa37: 8:02am On Jun 14, 2020
God reveals Himself to all His chosen Ones in SPIRIT.

Remember, "For our Sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate. He suffered Death and was Buried".

His last Words on The Cross was, "FATHER UNTO THY HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRITS".

The Cross was a method, though worthy of Recognition, of dying, but it's not a VALUABLE CONSIDERATION FOR HIS DEATH AND RESURRECTION.

From Orunto27.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by Janosky: 8:15am On Jun 14, 2020
orisa37:
God reveals Himself to all His chosen Ones in SPIRIT.

Remember, "For our Sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate. He suffered Death and was Buried".

His last Words on The Cross was, "FATHER UNTO THY HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRITS".

[b]The Cross was a method, though worthy of Recognition, of dying, [/b]but it's not a VALUABLE CONSIDERATION FOR HIS DEATH AND RESURRECTION.

From Orunto27.

What is this one saying?
IDOL WORSHIPPERS in disguise.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by chatinent: 10:30am On Jun 14, 2020
shadeyinka:

Please read:

The ancient Romans never used a T-shaped item in execution. Thanks.
Lalasticlala, Seun, fp please.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by Xmuslim: 2:50pm On Jun 14, 2020
I can never accept the concept of crucifixion of jesus as a way of forgiveness of my sin. It makes Christian god looks ridiculous and incompetent. Maybe because I wasn't born a Christian - no crucifixion indoctrination in me. Perhaps it's easy for Christian because of early childhood indoctrination

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by Xmuslim: 2:59pm On Jun 14, 2020
TheSourcerer:

grin

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross? by shadeyinka(m): 3:23pm On Jun 14, 2020
TheSourcerer:

No wonder peace had eluded you a long time ago!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can A Real Child Of God Be Broke? / Why People Don't Ever Make Fun Of The Holy Spirit. / Pastor Slumps, Dies While Preaching About Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.