Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,166 members, 7,884,070 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 11:17 PM

Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things (4879 Views)

If Your Phone Is Doing Any Of These Things, It's Time To Change It / Whats The Best Budget Phone So Far. / Whats The Advantage And Disavantages Of Updating An Andriod Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by henrygold100: 3:55am On Jun 14, 2020
flashing phone, hard resetting, soft resetting, formatting. what are the different and uses, and when each one shud be done in phone .. pls anyone with better knowledge shud enlighten us.

1 Like

Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by dotun4luv(m): 6:48am On Jun 14, 2020
Here is my take as a tech blogger.

Flashing Phone

The term is used to define several things, but usually, it means overwriting one of your phone's partitions with an image you may have downloaded elsewhere, but it usually extends to installing many other things, such as root or another OS in your phone. Usually done after installing a custom recovery.

Hard Reset

A hard reset, also known as a factory reset or master reset, is the restoration of a device to the state it was in when it left the factory. All settings, applications, and data added by the user are removed.

Soft Reset

Soft Reset is simply powering your phone off and on by using the power button - no data is lost. Hard Reset is forcibly stopping the power to the phone by removing the battery ( if the battery is user-replaceable)- no data is lost.

Follow this guide to fix Android and iPhone hotspot issues.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by Blastedholligan: 8:11am On Jun 14, 2020
dotun4luv:

Flashing Phone

The term is used to define several things, but usually, it means overwriting one of your phone's partitions with an image you may have downloaded elsewhere, but it usually extends to installing many other things, such as root or another OS in your phone. Usually done after installing a custom recovery.

Hard Reset

A hard reset, also known as a factory reset or master reset, is the restoration of a device to the state it was in when it left the factory. All settings, applications, and data added by the user are removed.

Soft Reset

Soft Reset is simply powering your phone off and on by using the power button - no data is lost. Hard Reset is forcibly stopping the power to the phone by removing the battery ( if the battery is user-replaceable)- no data is lost.

Nice info. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by Degrezhaa: 8:14am On Jun 14, 2020
Hmmn
Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by potent5(m): 8:39am On Jun 14, 2020
Your answer is contradictory, though the latter part of it appears to be correct.
dotun4luv:

Flashing Phone

Hard Reset

Soft Reset

Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by DesChyko: 9:15am On Jun 14, 2020
henrygold100:
flashing phone, hard resetting, soft resetting, formatting. what are the different and uses, and when each one shud be done in phone .. pls anyone with better knowledge shud enlighten us.

Flashing a phone would mean reinstalling the operating system. You could either install the stock OS(the original that comes with the phone) or a custom OS (another that works with the phone). Flashing is done when the phone's software misbehaves too frequently (or hangs as we call it) or when you want a new feel in your phone. Flashing is done with a PC and some cables.

Hard Reset (otherwise called factory reset) means returning your phone software to the state it was when it was just finished(produced). Hard reset would wipe all data and settings the user put in the phone and replace it with all the factory settings the manufacturer put in place, even those removed by the user. It is done through phone settings, recovery menu when turning on the phone or through a PC desktop manager.

Soft Reset means powering your phone on and off. It's a quick resort when the phone hangs in the middle of doing something on it. This can be done using the power button or via a battery pull.

Formatting means wiping off the things stored in a phone's Internal memory or memory card. It is also done to make a new memory card usable on a phone. It does not affect phone settings though.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by okikiosibodu(m): 9:32am On Jun 14, 2020
Well said OP. In summary,
flashing of phone: you loss phone settings and data (it will be as the phone was, when removed from the pack... If you don't flash a dif OS into it )

Hard rest: you lose your settings, but not your data

Soft reset: you lose neither data nor settings
Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by rash47(m): 9:47am On Jun 14, 2020
And rooting, what does it mean?
Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by abumeinben(m): 9:51am On Jun 14, 2020
rash47:
Converting you phone from obedient little junior to an agbero.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by karbie(f): 11:15am On Jun 14, 2020
Read the study packs on your own and pass your examinations like I did.

Prepare for your ACCA and ICAN examinations with the ICAN new study packs for all levels and get all necessary past questions and answers for a token.

Click on the whatsapp link below to get them https:///2347084890881
Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by 1x2x3: 11:15am On Jun 14, 2020
rash47:

Rooting is basically unlocking the restricted areas of your phone's operating system. There are areas which normally shouldn't be modify unless you are a developer or know exactly what you are doing grin.
Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by mytime24(f): 11:56am On Jun 14, 2020
K
Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by Liposure: 12:32pm On Jun 14, 2020
DesChyko:

Flashing a phone would mean reinstalling the operating system. You could either install the stock OS(the original that comes with the phone) or a custom OS (another that works with the phone). Flashing is done when the phone's software misbehaves too frequently (or hangs as we call it) or when you want a new feel in your phone. Flashing is done with a PC and some cables.

Hard Reset (otherwise called factory reset) means returning your phone software to the state it was when it was just finished(produced). Hard reset would wipe all data and settings the user put in the phone and replace it with all the factory settings the manufacturer put in place, even those removed by the user. It is done through phone settings, recovery menu when turning on the phone or through a PC desktop manager.

Soft Reset means powering your phone on and off. It's a quick
excuse me, do u hav any idea on how 2 completely eradicate shortcut virus on my PC
Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by DesChyko: 1:13pm On Jun 14, 2020
Liposure:
excuse me, do u hav any idea on how 2 completely eradicate shortcut virus on my PC

There's an answer to this on quora. About five methods were listed. I used the 'cmd' option when I was frustrated by that virus early this year.

1 Like

Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by falcon01: 10:40pm On Jun 14, 2020
henrygold100:
ok let me break it down in simple terms
Flashing Phone is to write, Modify or remove an Image on a specific partition or to write the whole operating system I.e Tampering and tweaking with the Phones Partition is called flashing.

Hard reset
to Return your Phone back to factory mode thus losing all files and third party software's.

Soft Reset
is a process of Refreshing your Phone without posing any data maybe like Resetting your settings or Holding power button for pike 10 seconds for it yo reboot which will refresh the phone and clear up temp files holding it back

Format
its like hard rest but deeper it clears and resets everything including kernels, boot img, Recovery Mode, e.t.c
Re: Pls Whats The Difference Between These Things by omoladex05: 2:13am On Jun 15, 2020
God blessed my family with bouncing baby girl last night. I am a private school teacher, please we seriously need your financial assistance. Check my profile. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

"certificate Error" Anytime I Try To Install Apps: Help! / How To Change Your Game/application Screen Size With Your Symbian Phone / My Mtn 3g Has Stopped Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.