Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,887 members, 7,879,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 04:28 AM

I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname (3227 Views)

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? / I Will Not Bear My Husband’s Name-What are the Consequences? / Benue Woman Marries Pregnant Lady To Bear Children For Late Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by merieam16(f): 7:15pm On Jun 15, 2020
ok
Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by Carfreak966: 7:35pm On Jun 15, 2020
You can retain your fathers name. But when your husband wants to marry you, there is no need for him paying any bride price. It’s come and go
Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 30, 2020
mrs woman shut up, you are a fool

LilMissFavvy:
Mr. Man shuttt up, just shuttt up. Are u drunk this morning? If you have a different opinion, call me out sensibly, not by insults. But if you are here to insulttt me be clear about it. I will only answer your question when your stand is clear. When will NL members ever give mentions without insults? Everyone has got their different ideas and opinions.
Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by frozen70(f): 9:34pm On Jul 01, 2020
LilMissFavvy:
Its all about choices. There is nothing wrong with a woman keeping her father's name, especially if you were born into affluence, you can't possibly dump a great name to bear the name of a nobody. Some women hypernate their names after marriage, to add their fathers name at the end, ain't a bad idea at all.

Exactly ❗

1 Like

Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by Konquest: 12:06am On Nov 04, 2021
libby01:
We all know it is the normal affair for a woman to officially change her surname to her husband’s name after the wedding.

In some cases, the woman goes as far as changing her state of origin to her husband’s.

So you hear things like, “I am Delta by blood, Yoruba by marriage.”

However, with the rapid change in our social stances and the cry of gender equality getting stronger by the day, a lot of married women do not change their surnames these days and some single ladies have expressed their stance not to change their surnames after marriage.

This may be seen as rebellion of some sort, chaos to a perfect order of living or simply unnecessary but the reasons behind this is perfectly logical.

The reasons for women choosing not to change their surnames vary:

1.  Identity: Some women feel it is not worth the stress.

One married woman said, “Everyone knows me as Ms. T. Y. Changing my name and having all my documents bear Mrs T. Z. is totally unnecessary to me. What if an old contact wants to reach out to me and can’t find me by my original name? Abeg, I cannot jare. Besides, if it is not an issue in my home. My husband and the kids bear his surname. I bear my own. Everybody is fine.”

2. Equality: A woman changing her surname after marriage is one of the manifestations of gender superiority.

It shows that the man’s identity is far more important than the woman’s and this should not be as man and woman both need each other to coexist.

3. Culture: History has shown us that in most African cultures in precolonial times, the woman always retained her family identity.

Continue reading at https://9jababa.com/i-will-not-bear-my-husbands-surname/
Then go for a hyphenated or compound surname. Period.
Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by Kobojunkie: 2:31am On Nov 04, 2021
Konquest:

Then go for a hyphenated or compound surname. Period.
Or like the OP suggested, she can simply keep your name as is. It is not mandatory to have the name changed even in Nigeria that is why women have to in fact do it for themselves and this they typicaally wait to do after they are married. undecided

Think about it,a woman isn't a product of her marriage but instead a partner in the contract agreement that is marriage. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by ImaIma1(f): 3:27am On Nov 04, 2021
If your husband's surname were Dangote, Elumelu, etc, we wouldn't have to read all the story you wrote up there.

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by Kobojunkie: 4:14am On Nov 04, 2021
genq:
Fair enough.
Please go ahead and keep your father's name but, realise that your family members have no right to collect a single Kobo from any man in the name of "bride price". Afterall you are not a piece of property and both of you are equal! Why should he pay to marry you?

Better yet, don't get married at all so you won't be faced with this name change "dilemma" in the first place undecided
So the bride price is meant as payment to have a woman no longer hold onto her father's name, or any other name, but her husband's? undecided
Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by Kobojunkie: 4:17am On Nov 04, 2021
saucecode:
The husband does not have money and his family name will not open any doors or draw a WOW, this is the only reason any nigerian woman will be having this conversation.
undecided
Re: I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname by Opeyemiextra(f): 3:06pm On Nov 04, 2021
For me, this should not be an issue. I expect that before marriage, things like this would have been sorted out because they might look small but would be big deal for some people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mature Advice Only Please / . / Oldies: 24 Classic Indian Movies That Warmed Our Hearts Back In The Days

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.