Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,734 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:57 AM

Living In Bondage: Breaking Free- A Review - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free- A Review (364 Views)

Louisa Ejenavbo: Ramsey Nouah & 'living In Bondage' Team Didn't Pay Me / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? / Living In Bondage, Breaking Free: Scenes From The Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Living In Bondage: Breaking Free- A Review by grammarian247(m): 3:52pm On Jun 14, 2020
Living in Bondage: Breaking Free. Much Ado for Nothing
I hope my wife does not see this critique as I joined her, after watching the movie, to say "oil de the head of the producer". Well, I had to agree it was a nice movie because it was night. I don't really like wahala at night, it gives me hiccups and even "hiplates" ��. Now, here are my thoughts.

Was it not clear from the movie that Nnamdi, the protagonist of the story, was initiated into occult practices because of greed? But the movie seems to be projecting an inherited spiritual tussle. How do we reconcile these two? Or is this a case of the story running out of the hands of the story teller?

Again, is it not natural that Nnamdi should have made serious efforts to reunite with his father? Why are we not giving the interiority as to why he did not pursue that line of action? Is it natural to react the way Nnamdi did when Andy, his father, came to him? Yes, I know if he had acted naturally, he would have listened to his father and would not have pursued his evil cause and the movie would have ended before it starts, but that would have given the producer a chance to tinker with creativity.

Further, the main settings of the movie are Lagos and Owerri. Many characters are also of the Igbo descent. Would it not have given the movie a better cultural outlook if Nnamdi's guardians spoke the Owerri dialect? Must Ramsey Noah feature in the movie? With his failed attempts at articulating Igbo words, he trivializes the thematic preoccupation of the story.

Let's talk about the title. Was Nnamdi ever in bondage? It does not seem so as he was only temporarily out of job and could have landed one. We glean that Nnamdi's father, Andy, who was once a part of the occult " broke free" but was never free. If that is the case, there is a question mark on his freedom, if so again, he remains in bondage. Where does freedom/bondage meet? Why the sudden change of demand by the occult leader? He wanted Kelly, why the twist to Toby? That seems like a poorly injected suspense.

I know many were carried away by the aesthetics of the movie. But a good movie is a blend of aesthetics, language and other kinetics.

(1) (Reply)

Comedy Skit No Leg Man / Bbnaija: Zaaki Azzay Declares Support For Kiddwaya. / Nairalander Creates First Nigerian Stop Motion Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.