Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,252 members, 7,887,730 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:57 PM

Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data - Phones (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data (71461 Views)

For Those Using MTN / New Setting For HTTP Injector To Power All Apps Using MTN Mpulse Data / Its Time To Stop Using Mtn For Browsing.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by shayyverr: 3:41pm On Jun 17, 2020
JideSM:

Hi whemmytopsy, my apologies on the night data bundle challenge and on the way we make you feel. I can assist you correct all of that. Kindly send me your phone number and state the date you experienced issue on your line for checks on it.
mtn us totally fuvked up and they keep scamming us. 1gb never last a day and the weekly subs I do are shit. The midnight bundle isn't cool too and looking at Ghana , why do they have more choices to pick from and we are limited to 500mb in Nigeria? Switching back to Airtel soon
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by freshyoladipupo(m): 3:42pm On Jun 17, 2020
glo 100 for 1 gig all the way (night)
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Vikky014(f): 3:57pm On Jun 17, 2020
Mtn are thieves. I knew of this since. But the problem is their network is more stable

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Thisis2raw(m): 4:01pm On Jun 17, 2020
GeoAfrikana:
I'm so angry right now. As you can see, I'm creating this post in the middle of the night.

There are many negative things people say about MTN. Sincerely, I've always given them an open mind but tonight I discovered something very terrible about them

Summary:
When you subscribe for night data, MTN doesn't only deduct from your night data balance, they also deduct from your main balance.

Explanation
For long I've been using the MTN pulse plan. I buy 1.5gig weekly. But because I usually need to download tutorials from YouTube I support my data with their 500mb midnight plan.

I've always noticed that my 1.5gig doesn't last long. Within five days (sometimes three days) my data would have finished.

I spend a lot of time online but there's no way my daily usage can reach 400mb. Most of my time online is on WhatsApp, searching google for information and staying up to data with industry gists on Twitter.

This night I subscribed to the MTN night plan, then used their app to check my balance before browsing. If you use the mtn night data regularly then you know there's no way to check your balance with USSD.

Luckily for me, the MTN app shows the night balance. So I was able to monitor both my main data balance and the midnight balance.

Guess what I found?
MTN was deducting from both accounts simultaneously.
No wonder, this is the snake that has been stealing eggs from my poultry.
I was so angry that I wanted to remove the SIM but I decided to collect evidence before removing their SIM.

Below are two screenshots. I took the first before downloading a video from YouTube. The video is 48mb.

Then I took the second screenshot after the download had completed.

As you can see, MTN didn't even touch my night data again. They deducted virtually everything from my main balance.

This is so painful. I feel cheated.
how do you download YouTube videos?
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by ejanla077: 4:02pm On Jun 17, 2020
McClean573:

You can either call the NCC with this toll free number 0800-CALL NCC (0-800-2255 622).

Or fill a complaint form online on this url
http://consumer.ncc.gov.ng/submit-a-complaint/

You will need to have at least contacted MTN, only if they fail to resolve the issue do you contact the NCC.

Not ncc..

I once contacted ncc. I was directed to contact Nigeria consumer protection... They actually responded to me and made mtn call and apologise to me and refund me.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by chinoonew09: 4:23pm On Jun 17, 2020
for me o..i never exprience such things on my mtn i bein using since 2008...

though i'm on mtn pulse..
i did hav airtime most time but mtn dont turch it, i hav airtime, then subcribe 4 night data plan #50 for 500mb finish it for some an hour but my airtime balance remain xame..even without switching the phone off.
i think u shld contact ther customercare to resolve the issue.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by unikprince(m): 4:34pm On Jun 17, 2020
edoairways:

*777# , select Option 1 Buy data
Select Option 1 Buy data plan
Select Option 2 if you don't want auto renewal
Then after select Option 7 which is night and weekend plan
Select the plans you want. 1gig is N100 and is valid for 5 days. You can buy as many as possible pending when they review their packages
Thank u bro
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by KrazyDave16(m): 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2020
Same izh here too, once they send that annoying "you have 450Mb left", I can't use the remaining 50Mb to download, except I use it to surf.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by edoairways: 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2020
unikprince:

Thank u bro
You are welcome

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by edoairways: 4:52pm On Jun 17, 2020
ejanla077:

Not ncc..

I once contacted ncc. I was directed to contact Nigeria consumer protection... They actually responded to me and made mtn call and apologise to me and refund me.
What is their email?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Onlinebar: 4:53pm On Jun 17, 2020
How many times will they tell you before you know that MTN, Glo and Airtel are very useless networks, ehn ?
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by petitejolie(f): 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2020
Mtn is a big thief. After this im no longer using d Sim for browsing

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by GeoAfrikana(m): 4:58pm On Jun 17, 2020
Thisis2raw:
how do you download YouTube videos?

Paste the YouTube link of the video on savefrom.net

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by lookingfly: 5:03pm On Jun 17, 2020
One other thing about the night plan is that when you subscribe for say 250mb night plan, on using 150mb, they send you a message that your exhausted your data.....they've done that to me lots of times that am even used to it.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by mozele(m): 5:11pm On Jun 17, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

I was also experiencing the same fate until I switched to buying SME data instead. The data consumption reduced to the barest minimum. Although at times when my night plan reaches 50mb+, it switches over to the main data.

I'd have to switch off my data and switch it back on again. That's the only way it works for me.

Although I heard SIM cards and Browsing platforms varies.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by tonididdy(m): 5:22pm On Jun 17, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

So, it's if they fail to resolve it. Aren't they supposed to make refunds? Or my data has gone down the drain just like that.

Dude did you just enter the country Nigeria...?
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by bidex(m): 5:33pm On Jun 17, 2020
RealisticGirl:
Mtn is a bad news when it comes to data. I love and I'm really enjoying my Airtel network for my browsing. Anytime, any day. It think Airtel

Let me guess, you live in either Lagos or Abuja which is why you vouch for Airtel. They are full of shit outside these areas
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by yungevvy(m): 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2020
����������

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by JBRichard(m): 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2020
grin When I saw this post I knew the problem because I was faced with it too.
Please don't blame all on MTN.
Did you know that MTN is the fastest network provider.
I get why they where deducting from your main account data balance.
It happened to me once and I didn't complain. I simply restarted my phone and it seemed to go back to normal. But I'll strongly advise you to use Airtel for midnight data bundle because it'sunlimited unlike the MTN max of 500MB. The only caveat is that you won't be able to see your data balance on Airtel.
As I was saying, the reason you spent up to 400MB is because
1. Google Play Store and some of your apps consume a massive amount of data at the background. I was surprised when I checked my data usage. I'll advise you to restrict background data ONLY if your downloading movies from Opera and other non Google apps.
2. When you load apps and data in them it consumes data generally. Example, previews before you download a video, Opera news, streaming and etc. Just check your background apps o!
Peace. Hope to see your response!

GeoAfrikana:
I'm so angry right now. As you can see, I'm creating this post in the middle of the night.

There are many negative things people say about MTN. Sincerely, I've always given them an open mind but tonight I discovered something very terrible about them

Summary:
When you subscribe for night data, MTN doesn't only deduct from your night data balance, they also deduct from your main balance.

Explanation
For long I've been using the MTN pulse plan. I buy 1.5gig weekly. But because I usually need to download tutorials from YouTube I support my data with their 500mb midnight plan.

I've always noticed that my 1.5gig doesn't last long. Within five days (sometimes three days) my data would have finished.

I spend a lot of time online but there's no way my daily usage can reach 400mb. Most of my time online is on WhatsApp, searching google for information and staying up to data with industry gists on Twitter.

This night I subscribed to the MTN night plan, then used their app to check my balance before browsing. If you use the mtn night data regularly then you know there's no way to check your balance with USSD.

Luckily for me, the MTN app shows the night balance. So I was able to monitor both my main data balance and the midnight balance.

Guess what I found?
I was so angry that I wanted to remove the SIM but I decided to collect evidence before removing their SIM.

Below are two screenshots. I took the first before downloading a video from YouTube. The video is 48mb.

As you can see, MTN didn't even touch my night data again. They deducted virtually everything from my main balance.

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by snoopz: 6:55pm On Jun 17, 2020
av suffered your fate too I now use glo for midnight plan atleast their plan is better than mtn's, their 1gig for 100 can work for 5days
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Christmasdon(m): 6:57pm On Jun 17, 2020
On mtn when you off your data, mtn go help you on am. me i go mumu i wanted to recharge for midnight browsing with my other sim. mistakenly e go enter for the one way sub day.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Emanodimo(m): 7:07pm On Jun 17, 2020
Vulcanheph:
What you guys don't realise is that MTN is very trickish and deceptive, so you have to use your head when dealin with them......best thing to do is use another network for your main monthly Subscription and use them only for night plan, since i discovered that this is what they do, I don't do night sub when i already have an existing sub, so i just sub with my 9mobile and browse during the day , then i Switch over to night sub on MTN and use it at night.

That is the best deal....
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by dreofGod(m): 7:24pm On Jun 17, 2020
Just leave mtn o. It's not their fault, blame the system. Their wickedness na "everywhere you go."
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Barney001: 7:26pm On Jun 17, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Summary:

Explanation

Guess what I found?

Dude just dial *556# whenever you do night plan...
It would display your data.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by sophiathefirst: 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2020
For the past 1year and counting. I don't use MTN for anything data again.
I use airtel. 3k for 16g
I am OK with airtel. I am not ready for MTN the more you look the less you see.
They won't see me oh.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by ZesusHVWritter(m): 7:48pm On Jun 17, 2020
Report this on twitter and share the link here, so we on twitter can help carry the message along...
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Leonel55(m): 7:49pm On Jun 17, 2020
It's a pitiful situation with data in Nigeria. You can't trust these networks, especially, MTN and Airtel to be fair. Wherever you find one of their services manageable, there's always some other area where they're being dubious or fraudulent, and given that they hardly respond responsibly to complaints, there's little one can do about it other than find a way, by oneself around their fraudulent practices. If you've not noticed, Nigerians can shout from now till tomorrow and these networks won't do a thing about it. And the NCC that is supposed to regulate their activities is so dormant and useless to save subscribers from all these fraudulent practices by these networks. The best option is to resort to self help

There are a couple of personal actions you can take to avoid falling victim going forward.

1. You can get another MTN SIM card that you'll dedicate just for Night browsing. You can either add it as a second SIM or just switch the SIMs at Night if the 2nd SIM spot is already occupied

2. A 2nd option is that you can go for the Airtel trybe night plan, if you already have an Airtel SIM (or get one, if you don't already have). Dial *312# for the Airtel Trybe plan and follow the prompt to switch to Trybe. To subscribe just dial *312# also and follow the prompt to get 250MB for N25. They don't seem to have an option to subscribe once for 500MB but you can subscribe again after you exhaust the 1st 250MB to make it 500MB.

The good thing about Airtel night plan is that the plan only expires after 24hrs i.e. if you subscribe by e.g. 2am, and could not finish the data before 5am, the remaining data would still be available from 12am the next night until 2am or when you finally exhaust it: whichever comes first.

Unlike MTN, Airtel doesn't simultaneously deduct your data if you have a normal data plan and also subscribe for a night plan; they automatically suspend your main data plan until you exhaust your night subscription.

The downside to Airtel is that their network service can disappoint, if you're not in a favourable location

Whichever option you choose to go for, I'll advice you get a smaller phone, or some other device, with hotspot capacity and put the night data SIM there permanently, and you simply turn it on at Night whenever you need to do night browsing, turn off your cellular data and browse via WiFi, that way you don't have to be opening your main phone to switch SIM cards every time you need to do night browsing.

I hope this helps

Best of Luck!
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by International28: 8:39pm On Jun 17, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Summary:

Explanation

Guess what I found?

This is what MTN has been doing to me also! It is high time we reported the company to NCC. What breach of trust is that? Enough is enough!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by hannahanna: 9:09pm On Jun 17, 2020
this must have been so annoying . pls drop your number and network i will send you data geoAfriKana
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:24pm On Jun 17, 2020
JBRichard:
grin When I saw this post I knew the problem because I was faced with it too.
Please don't blame all on MTN.
Did you know that MTN is the fastest network provider.
I get why they where deducting from your main account data balance.
It happened to me once and I didn't complain. I simply restarted my phone and it seemed to go back to normal. But I'll strongly advise you to use Airtel for midnight data bundle because it'sunlimited unlike the MTN max of 500MB. The only caveat is that you won't be able to see your data balance on Airtel.
As I was saying, the reason you spent up to 400MB is because
1. Google Play Store and some of your apps consume a massive amount of data at the background. I was surprised when I checked my data usage. I'll advise you to restrict background data ONLY if your downloading movies from Opera and other non Google apps.
2. When you load apps and data in them it consumes data generally. Example, previews before you download a video, Opera news, streaming and etc. Just check your background apps o!
Peace. Hope to see your response!

Firstly, I don't think this excuse is valid. And that's for four reasons;

- MTN isn't the only network provider offering midnight data. So why are they the only ones people are complaining about.

- They're a tech company. It's standard procedure to always test a system before deploying. I'm sure they won't take it easy with any consultant that gives them such excuse.

- I'm quite sure that this isn't the first time anyone is complaining about this particular issue. Why haven't they resolved it? They're enjoying their loot.

- they're supposed to include in every message before subscription that you must reset your network else you risk losing your main data.

As for the background data. I don't think that's valid also. 500mb is very small. I didn't spend 1hour using the 500mb. What kind of background app consumes up to 100mb in one hour. Note that my normal data was on till midnight so it's not that my apps had been data-starved.

Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by hannahanna: 9:31pm On Jun 17, 2020
was hanging around still to send data to you. i feel led to do this pls send your number so i can do this for you.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by EmekaBlue(m): 10:39pm On Jun 17, 2020
That's how they chop my 8k recharge while i was streaming youtube when i had data plan o

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Moving Your BBM Contacts From Blackberry To Android BBM / Woman Refuses To Remove Hijab For MTN Registration (pics) / No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.