Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,932 members, 7,896,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 12:20 AM

Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech (31817 Views)

Patience Jonathan's Alleged Campaign Speech At PDP Rally In Rivers / Photos Of Patience Jonathan Billion Naira Hotel In Yenegoa / Patience Jonathan Yet To Stabilise - Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by rasputinn(m): 8:55am On Jan 29, 2011
Grammar no be her language joor
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by LordElNou: 9:36am On Jan 29, 2011
I really think know this is a serious matter! It must be attended before the situation of an international scene like this one in discuss is here to be!
I wish she could come across this thread
and, of course, reflect, and make moves toward improvement. No one's perfect I agree.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by juman(m): 11:13am On Jan 29, 2011
Well, we don't have better topics to discuss on. No result of scientific reseach, no analysis on retailing or market analysis, no medical reseach outcome, no new invention, no manufacturing production analysis, no improvement in the country that worth discuss on and so on.
Which kind of country is this??
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 11:26am On Jan 29, 2011
juman:

Well, we don't have better topics to discuss on. No result of scientific reseach, no analysis on retailing or market analysis, no medical reseach outcome, no new invention, no manufacturing production analysis, no improvement in the country that worth discuss on and so on.
Which kind of country is this??

shocked
Bros! Do you want to wound some people?!
There are types who find any progressive discussion too tedious and naturally gravitate to "pull your neighbour down" topics or become leading stars in the employment of gutter tactics, such as abusing a mans wife simply because, they hate him for reasons best known to them and for their level of morality, no tactic is too low.
This is not to say though, that every critic falls into that bracket. There are some that genuinely care; but you will find that people in that category are civil about any concerns and do not abuse the woman or any of GEJ's family.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by bashdecash(m): 11:27am On Jan 29, 2011
pleasae can someone tell me the level of education of this woman we've been discussing about? i have seen so many threads about her English bombs but was not lucky to read about her educational profile.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by coolestboy(m): 11:45am On Jan 29, 2011
I WILL ADVISE GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN TO GO GET ANY WIFE 4 A POLITICAL PURPOSE BECOS DIS WOMAN HE CALLS HIS WIFE, WHO CANNOT SPEAK, READ OR/AND WRITE WILL SURELY HINDER HIS PRESIDENCIAL SUCCESS. WHAT A PITY, NIGERIAN FIRST LADY cry cry cry
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Pennywise(m): 12:27pm On Jan 29, 2011
My opinion? Patience Jonathan should be kept in hiding for the duration of her husband's rule. Of course she can have access to plenty of money
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Remii(m): 12:33pm On Jan 29, 2011
^^^Alternatively, she could lie low awhile, say 6 months, swallow her pride and get some speech training, they are all over the place. They did same for Mrs Azikwe when she messed up at a dinner in 1960.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by trooperz(m): 12:38pm On Jan 29, 2011
For the Brainwashed Africans, It will be easy for a Bush rat to pass through the eye of a needle, than for the some  African people to gain psychological

independence.

How I wish we colonised the British Empire, Queen Elizabeth would be speaking with a hardcore ijaw accent. angry

If you ask an African about his history, you most likely get this reply "We were once slaves, we were freed and became independent". This is a lie, YOUR

HISTORY HAS BEEN DISTORTED IN THE HISTORY BOOKS WRITTEN BY YOUR CONQUERORS.

Egypt, the cradle of civilization is revolting against centuries of western oppression right now, I hope black Africans can wake up and revolt against western

psychological oppression.

I wish there was a single African Language, so I could relate with my African brethren instead of typing this filthy queens English imposed on my ancestors.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 12:53pm On Jan 29, 2011
WHy the hell should she "lay low" because of your petty insecurities? Are you guys for real?

It's so funny that most of us think this is the kind of stuff foreign intellectuals care about. Very few, if any, intellectuals will care about stuff like this. Mostly small minded folk, or people like Glenn Beck just lookin for a low blow to get a cheap laugh.

She read the speech with little trouble.

English is not our native language. It's an official language, but Nigerians should know that most people prefer to communicate in their native languages because it is more efficient as far as communicating goes. All these people wey inferiority complex don wound finish na una sabi. I wish people are this pissed when some of the best educated kids in Nigeria show that they don't understand any of our native languages.

I doubt any INTELLECTUAL WILL CARE HOW OUR FIRST LADY SPEAKS ENGLISH, OR READS OR WRITES IN ENGLISH. THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER. IN MY OPINION THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT CARE ABOUT $HIT LIKE THIS ARE SMALL MINDED INSECURE ONES.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Bawss1(m): 1:10pm On Jan 29, 2011
Krayola:

WHy the hell should she "lay low" because of your petty insecurities? Are you guys for real?

Again we ask: should she subject the rest of the Nigerian populace to such embarrassment by force? This is the first lady of the federal republic of Nigeria we are talking about. Whether her role is recognized constitutionally or not she should stay clear of microphones and public speech making till she improves her reading ability. Simple.

Na by force say she must recite speech?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by gohome: 1:14pm On Jan 29, 2011
Dont see anything wrong with that apart from the fact she cant read fast like most of us, and the accent thing as well, she sounds way better than Turai, Yardua Abacha Obj put together. I know loads of the people here did not even listen to the speech. hear and tell me 1 single error. English is not her first language period, whether she was educated in English or not it is not her first. have you guys seen Indians speak, omg i dont hear a thing. have u guys also seen a scot read or speak (Cheryl Cole), its as awful. what about our brothers in east Africa, that is exactly how they read and speak, give her a break. How many of us can stand in front of 10 people and make a speech, very few. I remember my first day i gave a speech, i almost died but subsequently i got better. T.B Joshua is another example. I remember when this man couldn't speak eloquently, now see the transformation.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 1:20pm On Jan 29, 2011
Bawss1:

Again we ask: [b]should she subject the rest of the Nigerian populace to such embarrassment by force?
This is the first lady of the federal republic of Nigeria we are talking about. Whether her role is recognized constitutionally or not she should stay clear of microphones and public speech making till she improves her reading ability. Simple.

Na by force say she must recite speech?

I am Nigerian, and I am not embarrassed by the speech. She read the speech well. Maybe not in the most fashionable manner, but she was clear enough in her delivery that understanding her was not difficult. What part of the speech were you unable to understand? Abeg tell me so that I can go and check if I'm missing something.

BTW how has she used force to embarrass us, Mr English expert?

I am embarrassed that some Nigerians are embarrassed by "Nigerianness" though.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 1:25pm On Jan 29, 2011
The idea that Patience Jonathan should not be criticised because she is "just an ordinary housewife" is about the most preposterous argument  i have ever heard in my life.

Do ordinary housewives steal millions from state treasuries and then get their relatives to help them launder the money abroad?

Do ordinary housewives go on extended spending sprees to Dubai to buy trinkets worth millions of dollars?

Do ordinary housewives climb up onto podiums promoting bogus organisations in the name of advocating on behalf of abused, disenfranchised women and neglected children?  

The thing i am still baffled about is the fact that some brainwashed individuals on this forum actually think this woman has anything postive to offer nigeria and its people after she and her husband have been involved in some of the most outrageous corruption scandals since their (undeserved and unwanted) entry onto the nigerian political scene.  

In a normal society the pair of them would have been indicted for corruption charges but of course in nigeria what you have are the usual bunch of sycophants coming out en masse to defend the indefensible.

A woman who brazenly steals from her own people the minute she gets her foot through the door of govt house and then has the nerve to turn around and expect to be idolised.

Wangari Mathai's name should not be mentioned in the same breath as Patience Jonathan, Wangari is a renowned intellectual who has campaigned tirelessly againt western exploitation of resources and environmental degradation  in africa, Patience Jonathan on the other hand is a woman who would not look out of place running a beer parlour joint in port harcourt, a woman who sees nigeria's resources as a fast track to easy riches.  Try having a conversation with Patience Jonathan about resource exploitation in africa and lets see how far you will get - what a joke!!!!
Wangari speaks and reads english intelligibly, and she also makes impromptu speeches, a task that "Dame" Patience would find virtually impossible to undertake.

Comparing Wangari Mathai's reading skills with Patience Jonathan's is like comparing Wole Soyinka's reading skills with Orji Uzo Kalu's - they are not in the same category.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 1:27pm On Jan 29, 2011
@Cap28  You op read that she was unable to read her own speech. Will you at least admit that was a misrepresentation of the facts?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by gohome: 1:32pm On Jan 29, 2011
cap28:

The idea that Patience Jonathan should not be criticised because she is "just an ordinary housewife" is about the most preposterous argument  i have ever heard in my life.

Do ordinary housewives steal millions from state treasuries and then get their relatives to help them launder the money abroad?

Do ordinary housewives go on extended spending sprees to Dubai to buy trinkets worth millions of dollars?

Do ordinary housewives climb up onto podiums promoting bogus organisations in the name of advocating on behalf of abused, disenfranchised women and neglected children?  

The thing i am still baffled about is the fact that some brainwashed individuals on this forum actually think this woman has anything postive to offer nigeria and its people after she and her husband have been involved in some of the most outrageous corruption scandals since their (undeserved and unwanted) entry onto the nigerian political scene.  

In a normal society the pair of them would have been indicted for corruption charges but of course in nigeria what you have are the usual bunch of sycophants coming out en masse to defend the indefensible.

A woman who brazenly steals from her own people the minute she gets her foot through the door of govt house and then has the nerve to turn around and expect to be idolised.

Wangari Mathai's name should not be mentioned in the same breath as Patience Jonathan, Wangari is a renowned intellectual who has campaigned tirelessly againt western exploitation of resources and environmental degradation  in africa, Patience Jonathan on the other hand is a woman who would not look out of place running a beer parlour joint in port harcourt, a woman who sees nigeria's resources as a fast track to easy riches.  Try having a conversation with Patience Jonathan about resource exploitation in africa and lets see how far you will get - what a joke!!!!
Wangari speaks and reads english intelligibly, and she also makes impromptu speeches, a task that "Dame" Patience would find virtually impossible to undertake.

Comparing Wangari Mathai's reading skills with Patience Jonathan's is like comparing Wole Soyinka's reading skills with Orji Uzo Kalu's - they are not in the same category.

stop blabbin and address the issue. no two reading ability is the same we know, shes corrupt just like anyother leader we know, but didn't she read the speech?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 1:37pm On Jan 29, 2011
gohome:

stop blabbin and address the issue. no two reading ability is the same we know, shes corrupt just like anyother leader we know, but didn't she read the speech?

i can see you have very low standards and absolutely no expectations of your first lady thats why you can even come out with statements like: "she's corrupt just like any other leader"

Yes she read the speech - the way a 4 year old would read a bed time story - i suppose that's good enough for you.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by KDULAR: 1:38pm On Jan 29, 2011
Excuses !and  nothing but excuses, that's what we like to give for everything, I wish those who are defending Mrs Jonathan's  on this thread that they make no efforts at all to correct their children and make them read properly . We know English is not our native language, we all learn it but when you are becoming a public figure you become a source of inspiration and reference for other people below you.

She knowing this when she was  adeputy governors wife ought to have started grooming herself for public life which includes speech deliveries but offhand and on paper. however because there would be this same old lame excuses , she care not to do that. It would not take you 6months of real hard work to do the grooming ordinarily and given the amount of resources available for that.

Salawa Abeni was a good example of a lesser educated individual that did self improvement on her English in a very short time with realisation of the need to, coupled with the determination to do so.

Truely.,it is obvious that she's not well educated and cares less about her position and what it means to millions  of both young and old females and the whole of in Nigeria and Nigerians. A typical Nigerian politician with circumstantial providence bestowed on him will mostly not care about what is placed on his laps but will eat it and smear his whole face with the broth

Some of us grew up in the village with heavily accented english nonetheless we could read and speak eloquently still heavily accented however lol! because we know we are going out to struggle with city boys for a living and we cannot rep our village with ill constructed and spoken english
So don't nobody bullshit us with Grammar no be my language thing. thchtchew. Hiss.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Bawss1(m): 1:39pm On Jan 29, 2011
Krayola:

I am Nigerian, and I am not embarrassed by the speech. She read the speech well. Maybe not in the most fashionable manner, but she was clear enough in her delivery that understanding her was not difficult. What part of the speech were you unable to understand? Abeg tell me so that I can go and check if I'm missing something.

BTW how has she used force to embarrass us, Mr English expert?

I am embarrassed that some Nigerians are embarrassed by "Nigerianness" though.

Are you saying that her terrible speech delivery is Nigerian? Thats an insult if so.  We (by we I mean the rest of the Nigerian population that do not support mediocrity) expect our first lady to communicate like a well schooled adult. We expect eloquence and not that halting delivery that is reminiscent of a child suffering from dyslexia. We expect and demand so much more. . .Are these tall expectations? Yes, but recall that to whom much is given much is expected.

Now if she can't read a simple prepared speech smoothly then let her not even bother to make speeches in the first place. She has ample resources to better herself if she so desires, but first she has to acknowledge the fact that she has a problem. This is what we saying on this thread and its a pity that many people will like to deny the obvious. No wonder her handers probably don't see anything wrong here. angry
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by gohome: 1:50pm On Jan 29, 2011
gohome:

gohome:

I still dont understand how we still have expectations from these people, like I said earlier, Yar adua, Abacha and the likes were not different. I said we should address the issue '' Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech '' Was she unable?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ziccoit: 1:55pm On Jan 29, 2011
Krayola:

It's so funny that most of us think this is the kind of stuff foreign intellectuals care about. Very few, if any, intellectuals will care about stuff like this. Mostly small minded folk, or people like Glenn Beck just lookin for a low blow to get a cheap laugh.

She read the speech with little trouble.

English is not our native language. It's an official language, but Nigerians should know that most people prefer to communicate in their native languages because it is more efficient as far as communicating goes. All these people wey inferiority complex don wound finish na una sabi. I wish people are this pissed when some of the best educated kids in Nigeria show that they don't understand any of our native languages.

I doubt any INTELLECTUAL WILL CARE HOW OUR FIRST LADY SPEAKS ENGLISH, OR READS OR WRITES IN ENGLISH. THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER. IN MY OPINION THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT CARE ABOUT $HIT LIKE THIS ARE SMALL MINDED INSECURE ONES.

Why are they intellectual if they don't care? You might want to say they would not pass a comment.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 1:56pm On Jan 29, 2011
Bawss1:

Are you saying that her terrible speech delivery is Nigerian? Thats an insult if so.  We (by we I mean the rest of the Nigerian population that do not support mediocrity) expect our first lady to communicate like a well schooled adult. We expect eloquence and not that halting delivery that is reminiscent of a child suffering from dyslexia. We expect and demand so much more. . .Are these tall expectations? Yes, but recall that to whom much is given much is expected.

I expect responsible governing. I couldn't care less about all this superficial nonsense. SO she doesn't speak "eloquently". . . so what? She can't have anything to offer?

Bawss1:

Now if she can't read a simple prepared speech smoothly then let her not even bother to make speeches in the first place. She has ample resources to better herself if she so desires, but first she has to acknowledge the fact that she has a problem. This is what we saying on this thread and its a pity that many people will like to deny the obvious. No wonder her handers probably don't see anything wrong here. angry

She is literate and read a speech well enough that I understood every word of it.  Did you understand the speech? WHat part of it were you unable to understand?

Why does the OP say she was unable to read a speech that she obviously read? That is  miscommunication IMO. The OP was unable to write exactly what he meant, but is here vexing that someone did not read well enough for his liking.

Nonsense and ingeeeeedience, sakulajous dikonkous  mtcheeww.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by gohome: 2:00pm On Jan 29, 2011
gohome:

Dont see anything wrong with that apart from the fact she cant read fast like most of us, and the accent thing as well, she sounds way better than Turai, Yardua Abacha Obj put together. I know loads of the people here did not even listen to the speech. hear and tell me 1 single error. English is not her first language period, whether she was educated in English or not it is not her first. have you guys seen Indians speak, omg i dont hear a thing. have u guys also seen a scot read or speak (Cheryl Cole), its as awful. what about our brothers in east Africa, that is exactly how they read and speak, give her a break. How many of us can stand in front of 10 people and make a speech, very few. I remember my first day i gave a speech, i almost died but subsequently i got better. T.B Joshua is another example. I remember when this man couldn't speak eloquently, now see the transformation.
[/quot

I forgot confidence, yea a lil. i guess thats the difference between her and wangari
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 2:03pm On Jan 29, 2011
ziccoit:

Why are they intellectual if they don't care? You might want to say they would not pass a comment.

Maybe b/c it's more about how well you think than how eloquently you speak. IMO true intellectuals care more about substance than flamboyance.

Politicians are known to be great speakers but a lot of the time are empty barrels. Na talk talk we wan chop?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 2:07pm On Jan 29, 2011
Krayola:

Maybe b/c it's more about how well you think than how eloquently you speak. IMO true intellectuals care more about substance than flamboyance.

Politicians are known to be great speakers but a lot of the time are empty barrels. Na talk talk we wan chop?

So what are you trying to say - that despite Patience Jonathan's limited reading ability she might just be a closet intellectual!!! please don't make me laugh. By their actions you shall know them, her actions to date are not those of someone with substance or great intellectual depth.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 2:13pm On Jan 29, 2011
cap28:

So what are you trying to say  - that despite Patience Jonathan's limited reading ability she might just be a closet intellectual!!! please don't make me laugh.  By their actions you shall know them, her actions to date are not those of someone with substance or great intellectual depth.

I have not made a single comment about her intellect.  Just stating my opinion that this obsession with her grammar and reading style is petty.

Will you answer the question about the OP and your propaganda? 

Was she "UNABLE" to read the speech that she read?  grin
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by gohome: 2:15pm On Jan 29, 2011
[
Krayola:

I expect responsible governing. I couldn't care less about all this superficial nonsense. SO she doesn't speak "eloquently". . . so what? She can't have anything to offer?

She is literate and read a speech well enough that I understood every word of it.  Did you understand the speech? WHat part of it were you unable to understand?

Why does the OP say she was unable to read a speech that she obviously read? That is  miscommunication IMO. The OP was unable to write exactly what he meant, but is here vexing that someone did not read well enough for his liking.

Nonsense and ingeeeeedience, sakulajous dikonkous  mtcheeww.

correct, the guy is still beating around the bush, CAP28 DID SHE READ THE SPEECH OR NOT?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 2:22pm On Jan 29, 2011
Krayola:

I have not made a single comment about her intellect.  Just stating my opinion that this obsession with her grammar and reading style are petty.

Will you answer the question about the OP and your propaganda? 

Was she "UNABLE" to read the speech that she read?  grin

gohome:

[
correct, the guy is still beating around the bush, CAP28 DID SHE READ THE SPEECH OR NOT?

Perhaps i should i have rephrased it to read: Patience Jonathan unable to read own speech like a literate adult - would that have made both of you feel better?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by gohome: 2:30pm On Jan 29, 2011
cap28:

Perhaps i should i have rephrased it to read: Patience Jonathan unable to read own speech like a literate adult - would that have made both of you feel better?

mind you, being literate doesn't make you a good PUBLIC speaker! pls rephrase
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 2:32pm On Jan 29, 2011
gohome:

mind you, being literate doesn't make you a good PUBLIC speaker! pls rephrase

No i think ill stick to the original heading, its more accurate and describes her embarrasing and laborious attempt at reading to a tee.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 2:33pm On Jan 29, 2011
cap28:

fa fa fa fowl!!

A literate adult is an adult that can read and write. I know she is an adult, and I know that she can read. . . I'm guessing she can write. SO she demonstrated, to some extent because she wasn't writing, that she is a literate adult. Maybe not the most eloquently speaking literate adult, but a literate adult nonetheless.

cap28 IS UNABLE TO ARTICULATE HIS THOUGHTS. He cannot say what he means because he CLEARLY does not know how, even after rephrasing,  but is here raising hell over some petty stuff  grin  grin  

I is rested my case. Court adjhoned. warrefa dat means  cool
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ziccoit: 3:03pm On Jan 29, 2011
Again
What brought this is nonperformance of her husband government. People would have been idolizing even mimicking her style had her husband turned out to be a "Messiah" as initially thought

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

"Nnamdi Kanu Disrespected Nnamdi Azikiwe" - Zikist Movement / Video Of Uche Nwosu After His Release From Police Custody / ‘baba Go Slow’ Appellation Given To Buhari Is What Best Suits Nigeria Now-yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.