Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,561 members, 7,888,804 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:42 PM

Chinua Achebe-the Man - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe-the Man (1199 Views)

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / Chinua Achebe: The Gods Are Not To Blame / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe-the Man by lewa(m): 5:12am On Jun 13, 2007
Nigeria author wins Booker honour

Chinua Achebe is the most translated African author
Nigerian author Chinua Achebe has won the Man Booker International Prize in honour of his literary career.
Achebe is best known for his 1958 debut novel Things Fall Apart, which sold more than 10 million copies.

The 76-year-old, who was paralysed from the waist down after a car accident in 1990, beat writers including Ian McEwan and Salman Rushdie to the honour.

The £60,000 prize, awarded every two years, will be presented to Achebe at a ceremony in Oxford on 28 June.

'Remarkable man'

Achebe was called "the father of modern African literature" by writer Nadine Gordimer, one of the judges, who added that he is "integral to world literature".

He's what I think writers should be

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

"What African literature set about to do was to broaden the conception of literature in the world - to include Africa, which wasn't there," Achebe told the BBC.

"In the stories we tell, it is intended to help us solve the problem of this failure that has overtaken the early sense of joy and happiness when Africans became independent, received their self-determination."

Another judge, academic Elaine Showalter, said Achebe had "inaugurated the modern African novel".

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, who recently won the Orange Prize for Fiction, said of Achebe: "He is a remarkable man. The writer and the man. He's what I think writers should be."

Others who have been nominated for the prize, which recognises a living writer for their body of work, included Doris Lessing, Philip Roth, Peter Carey and Margaret Atwood.

The recipient of the first honour - awarded in 2005 - was Albanian writer Ismail Kadare.
Re: Chinua Achebe-the Man by lewa(m): 5:15am On Jun 13, 2007
Chinua Achebe,Kongi,Cyprian Ekwensi,Gabriel Okara,Elechi Amadi,Flora Nwapa,Zainab Alkali,Chinamanda Adichie(babe)-i salute
Re: Chinua Achebe-the Man by smile4kenn(m): 11:47am On Jun 13, 2007
The youngest of them all Chinamanda Adichie(babe)

I salute

Chinua Achebe the father, I hail
Re: Chinua Achebe-the Man by Orikinla(m): 8:10pm On Jun 13, 2007
I am happy for Pa Chinua Achebe, patriarch of Nigerian literature.
Last week, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie won the Orange Prize and this week, Achebe has won the second Man Booker International Prize for fiction.
This is a summer of literary harvest for Nigeria.

Re: Chinua Achebe-the Man by champredd(m): 8:54pm On Jun 13, 2007
He deserved the award and am still expecting more.

(1) (Reply)

Visa Lottery: A Tool In The Hands Of Modern Slave Masters / Poor Books Packagings In Naija / Why Do Most Writers End Up Becoming Atheist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.