Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,510 members, 7,914,352 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 11:56 PM

World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria (739 Views)

World Bank Approves $750m Electricity Facility For Nigeria / COVID-19: FG To Get $750m Loan From World Bank For States — Zainab Ahmed / Nigeria And Germany Sign The 11,000mw Roadmap Deal To Improve Electricity - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Racoon(m): 12:37pm On Jun 24, 2020
The World Bank has approved a $750 million loan through the International Development Association (IDA) to improve the reliability of electricity supply in Nigeria.

In a statement on Tuesday, the World Bank said the loan is for the power sector recovery operation (PSRO) to achieve financial sustainability and enhance accountability in the sector.

According to the bank, the PSRO will ensure that 4,500 MWh/hour of electricity is supplied to the distribution grid by 2022.

It also estimated that the economic cost of power shortages in Nigeria is $28 billion, equivalent to 2% of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP).

Commenting on the credit facility, Shubham Chaudhuri, World Bank country director for Nigeria, said adequate electricity supply is capable of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty.

“The lack of reliable power has stifled economic activity and private investment and job creation, which is ultimately what is needed to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty,” Chaudhuri said.

“The objective of this operation is to help turn around the power sector and set it on a fiscally sustainable path. This is particularly urgent at a time when the government needs all the fiscal resources it can marshal to help protect lives and livelihoods amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The PSRO provides results-based financing to support the implementation of the power sector recovery programme (PSRP).

According to the World Bank, about 47% of Nigerians do not have access to grid electricity and those who do have access, face regular power cuts.
https://www.thecable.ng/world-bank-approves-750m-credit-improve-electricity-nigeria/amp
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Olominira(m): 12:39pm On Jun 24, 2020
They are acting in response to China
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by JAOS(m): 12:41pm On Jun 24, 2020
i hope its won't be diverted grin

1 Like

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Xisnin(m): 12:42pm On Jun 24, 2020
Olominira:
They are acting in response to China
China is also a top contributor to World Bank.

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by xcolanto(m): 12:43pm On Jun 24, 2020
You got to be kidding me!
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jun 24, 2020
Well, we have to do our bit too by allowing discos and gencos to control the prices set for power.

If they do that , they would eventually be allowed to take loans from financial institutions since they would be making enough profit to do so.

Nigerians too should pay their bills. Discos should also give is Prepaid meters

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Racoon(m): 12:51pm On Jun 24, 2020
Hehehe! Laughing @ the power cabal holding this nation to ransome.They're politicising power generation.Then provide people with prepaid metre-they said no.So guess nothing new will ever happen except the corruption therein.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by okefrancis: 12:56pm On Jun 24, 2020
Very good and it will improve our electricity supply
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Deputy1111(m): 12:58pm On Jun 24, 2020
I think this is a nice one because it will the Disco to put every necessary things in place to make light available for the citizens.
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Shooyie: 1:01pm On Jun 24, 2020
The idea is to stall the increment whilst making sure services are rendered efficiently to the satisfaction of Nigerians. Also, its only natural that once services are rendered efficiently payments will be made in return for satisfaction.
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by jlinkd78(m): 1:02pm On Jun 24, 2020
Sometimes one is tempted to ask if we truly need all these financial inflows cos d probability of being looted is almost 1. This loan will in d end not achieved it's purpose. Something tells me d Western powers have something they benefit whenever they approve these loans for d Nigeria FG. Definitely some people benefit cos I can see how Nigeria could pass any pre-qualification scrutiny to be granted these bazaar like loan.

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by TheRareGem1(f): 1:03pm On Jun 24, 2020
The whole idea is to defer additional costs to the Nigerian people pending the implementation of power sector reforms to prevent the worse scenerio, so FG using this to buy time to the Discos can improve service, meter and co while raise in tariffs for the poorest is delayed

1 Like

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Earlystar698(m): 1:05pm On Jun 24, 2020
I sympathize with future Nigerians, that's all I have to say!!

1 Like

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Olominira(m): 1:23pm On Jun 24, 2020
Earlystar698:
I sympathize with future Nigerians, that's all I have to say!!
It's not really bad, the country has young population and prospects for industrialization. If the money is rightly used, it would help in speeding up the industrialization process
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 24, 2020
jlinkd78:
Sometimes one is tempted to ask if we truly need all these financial inflows cos d probability of being looted is almost 1. This loan will in d end not achieved it's purpose. Something tells me d Western powers have something they benefit whenever they approve these loans for d Nigeria FG. Definitely some people benefit cos I can see how Nigeria could pass any pre-qualification scrutiny to be granted these bazaar like loan.

The reason why the government is taking a world bank loan is because the DISCOS and GENCOS are not in a financial position to take loans.

There is a reason why Dangote was able to take loans topping $11 billion to build the refinery he has almost completed. Because the banks know they will get their money back.

DISCOS and GENCOS suffer two big problems impacting the way they make money

PROBLEM 1: Many Nigerians don't pay their bills . That means DISCOS and GENCOS cannot make enough profits

PROBLEM 2: They aren't the one setting the price for the product they are offering. Government does it.(By contrast, government does not set price of say Dangote Cememnt)

So, when that happens, the World Bank steps in and gives loans.

If we want the world bank to stop giving us loans, we have to let the DISCOS and GENCOS control the price they charge for power. That way, they would make enough of a profit to take loans from financial institutions, and government won't need to be taking loans on their behalf.

Plus Nigerians need to pay their bills. Agreed, DISCOS need to give us meters, but many Nigerians refuse to pay their power bills. As a result discos don't have enough cash, and this impacts their ability to take loans from banks, meaning that the World Bank has to step in.

Sometimes, Nigerians sabotage themselves.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Jlow2: 1:54pm On Jun 24, 2020
Pls dey should send supervisors to monitor the projects

1 Like

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Olominira(m): 1:55pm On Jun 24, 2020
Xisnin:

China is also a top contributor to World Bank.
You're right, but doesn't control the bank. That's the difference
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Macphenson: 2:02pm On Jun 24, 2020
Good
Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Xisnin(m): 2:22pm On Jun 24, 2020
Olominira:

You're right, but doesn't control the bank. That's the difference
No one really controls the bank.
It is like the UN, some have more influence but more rely on other top members
to make a decision.

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 24, 2020
I wonder, is Mr President trying to set a record for collecting loans among Nigerian presidents

1 Like

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Andrew13: 3:08pm On Jun 24, 2020
Before d money reach yer, our ogass at d top don loot am sharp sharp

Re: World Bank Approves $750m Loan To Improve Electricity In Nigeria by Racoon(m): 6:42pm On Jun 24, 2020
Lalasticlala OAM4J

(1) (Reply)

IPOB Stop Insulting People! Dont Be Offended But I Need To Say My Mind Rev vicar / Obaseki: APC To Tender Apology To Edo People Or Face Litigation / Nothing Can Stop The Independence Of Biafra, IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.