Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,544 members, 7,941,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 04:56 PM

Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga (4724 Views)

I’ve No Northern Agenda – Buhari / OBJ's Letter: Al-Mustapha Challenges Obasanjo To Public Debate Over Allegations / $67B Reserves: Ezekwesili Challenges Maku To Public Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Abagworo(m): 3:26am On Feb 01, 2011
The Minister of Finance, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, has declined to engage a former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, in a debate over the economy, saying that he had more important economic issues to attend to.

Aganga, who spoke in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Monday, instead referred Soludo to investors, “who lost so much money in the capital market.”

He said, “I’m not interested in responding. I made a first comment and he has responded. I’m not a politician; I’m a technocrat and I have work to do. Let Nigerians who have lost so much money in the capital market judge. Let taxpayers, whose over N2tn is being used to fund the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria to bail out the banks judge.”

The minister said his main assignment was to see the economy improve significantly, noting that the Federal Government was committed to seeing things work.

Aganga had, on a Nigerian Television Authority’s programme (Finance and Economy), taken on former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and his advisers on what he described as misrepresentation of facts about the Nigerian economy.

He had said, “They are the same people who told us that our banks are safe, there are no non-performing loans, What happened when the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Lamido Sanusi came on board? The can was opened, everything was completely rotten. These are the people who ran the economy down and they are the same people advising the man.”

He added that Atiku’s advisers ought to be serving a jail term for mismanaging the economy during their tenure.

However, Soludo, who reacted in strong words to Aganga’s position, floored the minister’s administration, saying his team lacked the capability to run the ministry.

He said, “You assumed office when oil price was about $75 per barrel and external reserves stood at about $42bn. Within nine months, you have earned a world record as the head of an Economic Management Team that lost about $10bn in foreign reserves at a time of unprecedented export boom, with oil price now over $90 per barrel.

“While the EMT I belonged to got Nigeria debt relief, you will get the world record as the finance minister who had the fastest rate of debt accumulation in Nigeria’s history, even at a time of oil boom, and presented a budget where not a kobo of oil revenue is spent on infrastructure like power etc, but 114 per cent of revenue (is) spent on consumption.”

He added, “My candid advice to you, Hon. Minister, is for you and your colleagues at the EMT to note that you need serious help on the economy. It is our collective destiny that is at stake. Threatening me with imprisonment or even imprisoning me will not solve the problem sir.

“But if you are convinced that you know what you are talking about in respect of the economy, and/or that you are sure of what you said about my regime, I challenge you to a two- to three-hour televised national debate on these issues.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110201126457
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:29am On Feb 01, 2011
This was actually the best response he could have given ("Tell that to the investors! I'm busy.") so as not to let it escalate into a showdown in which he might lose.

Also even if he somehow won the debate he would still lose (lose-lose situation) because people would just say, "we're (the taxpayers) paying him to be finance minister and he's wasting time on debates about the economy instead of working on the economy" or some similar statement. Soludo is the only one that could gain from a debate.

The first intelligent decision from Aganga, apparently. He might be less dull and egotistical than I assumed.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by fstranger1: 4:33am On Feb 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

This was actually the best response he could have given ("Tell that to the investors! I'm busy."wink so as not to let it escalate into a showdown in which he might lose.

Also even if he somehow won the debate he would still lose (lose-lose situation) because people would just say, "we're (the taxpayers) paying him to be finance minister and he's wasting time on debates about the economy instead of working on the economy" or some similar statement. Soludo is the only one that could gain from a debate.

The first intelligent decision from Aganga, apparently. He might be less dull and egotistical than I assumed.

I dont get your point, you actually believe all the hype about Soludo?

An ordinary mallam is doing better than Soludo, despite all his proclamations and fake analysis.

Very funny how everybody got sucked into this "Soludo is great" hype.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by EzeUche2(m): 4:39am On Feb 01, 2011
fstranger1:

An ordinary mallam is doing better than Soludo, despite all his proclamations and fake analysis.

Remove the tribalism from your eyes. We all know why you have a problem with Soludo. It is, because he gave a thrashing to your kinsman. Tribalism is eating you.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by fstranger1: 4:48am On Feb 01, 2011
EzeUche_:

Remove the tribalism from your eyes. We all know why you have a problem with Soludo. It is, because he gave a thrashing to your kinsman. Tribalism is eating you.

Do you really want to compare an Oxford grad with a lowly Uniben grad? Really?

What trashing are you talking about?
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by EzeUche2(m): 4:53am On Feb 01, 2011
fstranger1:

Do you really want to compare an Oxford grad with a lowly Uniben grad? Really?

What trashing are you talking about?

From what I can see, Soludo can hold his own. And the way Aganga is acting, he is not doing Oxford any justice.

Mehn, some Nigerians and this belief that these name recognition.

I have come across people and debated people who have went to these elite schools and I can say for the most part, I am not impressed.

And I said thrashing, not trashing. Come on and keep up with me.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by fstranger1: 4:58am On Feb 01, 2011
EzeUche_:

From what I can see, Soludo can hold his own. And the way Aganga is acting, he is not doing Oxford any justice.

Mehn, some Nigerians and this belief that these name recognition.

I have come across people and debated people who have[b] went[/b] to these elite schools and I can say for the most part, I am not impressed.

Sorry, i thought you meant "trashing."

Anyway, We use has or have with a past participle, not a past tense, to describe an action that started in the past and is (or may be) still going on.

The non-continuous present perfect tense uses has or have + the past participle; the present perfect  continuous tense uses has or have + been (the past participle of BE) + the - ing form of the main verb.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:04am On Feb 01, 2011
fstranger1:

Hype? He delivered. And if he was still there, he could deliver even more.

And Sanusi is no "ordinary mallam." How many ordinary mallams read War and Peace, Marx, Keynes, etc.? Don't agree with a lot of his opinions, especially his bigoted ones (such as in here http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/Essays/BalaUsman/Sanusi_Restructuring.html), but the guy is somewhat bright.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by EzeUche2(m): 5:09am On Feb 01, 2011
fstranger1:

Sorry, i thought you meant "trashing."

Anyway, We use has or have with a past participle, not a past tense, to describe an action that started in the past and is (or may be) still going on.

The non-continuous present perfect tense uses has or have + the past participle; the present perfect  continuous tense uses has or have + been (the past participle of BE) + the - ing form of the main verb.

I am not in the mood for semantics tonight. You and I both know my capabilities of handling the English language among other things.

And the fact that I speak/write English so well as well speak and write 3 other languages fluently is a testament to my intelligence.

I am not some "bush" boy you are dealing with.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by fstranger1: 5:16am On Feb 01, 2011
EzeUche_:

I am not in the mood for semantics tonight. You and I both know my capabilities of handling the English language among other things.

And the fact that I speak/write English so well as well speak and write 3 other languages fluently is a testament to my intelligence.

I am not some "bush" boy you are dealing with.

Are you crazy or what?

You brought this up to slight me and here you are trying to play the victim card. What a m0ron!

Are you this weak in real life? i pity your future wife. What a puccy cat! Oloshi.

EzeUche_:

Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by EzeUche2(m): 6:31am On Feb 01, 2011
Why did you feel slighted?

Simply stated that I said "thrashing" instead of "trashing."

You get upset with the slightest correction? undecided

Inferiority complex?
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by ekubear1: 7:29am On Feb 01, 2011
@EzeUche: Aganga actually isn't Yoruba, he is from Edo. However, he went to Christ School in Ado-Ekiti and grow up in Lagos, so I claim him  grin
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by fstranger1: 7:33am On Feb 01, 2011
^^^^

You shouldnt have told him

You should have allowed him to continue to wallow in his stupidity
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Onlytruth(m): 7:42am On Feb 01, 2011
Make Aganga no chicken out o!
De guy be like say na coward. undecidedWhy am I not surprised.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by EzeUche2(m): 8:09am On Feb 01, 2011
eku_bear:

@EzeUche: Aganga actually isn't Yoruba, he is from Edo. However, he went to Christ School in Ado-Ekiti and grow up in Lagos, so I claim him  grin

shocked shocked shocked

I didn't know. I seen Olusegun and I thought he was Yoruba. Well I guess we all make mistakes concerning the identity of a person.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by fstranger1: 8:11am On Feb 01, 2011
EzeUche_:

shocked shocked shocked

I didn't know. I seen Olusegun and I thought he was Yoruba. Well I guess we all make mistakes concerning the identity of a person.

See how stupidd your Ibo brain is?
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by gogo13233: 9:14am On Feb 01, 2011
i expected this, Aganga truly lacks the competencies required for the position he currently occupies and that is the truth
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by EzeUche2(m): 9:20am On Feb 01, 2011
fstranger1:

See how stupidd your Ibo brain is?

Stupid, because I thought he was a Yoruba since he bore a Yoruba name?

All I know that Aganga is not Igbo, Idoma, Tiv Ibibio or an Ijaw name. And that is all that matters. Enough said. . .
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by MaJBlige(f): 9:35am On Feb 01, 2011
Why didnt Soludo answer this major question?

They are the same people who told us that our banks are safe, there are no non-performing loans, What happened when the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Lamido Sanusi came on board? The can was opened, everything was completely rotten.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by calyx: 10:20am On Feb 01, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Why didnt Soludo answer this major question?

They are the same people who told us that our banks are safe, there are no non-performing loans, What happened when the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Lamido Sanusi came on board? The can was opened, everything was completely rotten.

He had said it over and and over and over again even after his regime in CBN. The Banks were absolutely safe in his CBN. Was there a problem? Yes! Bad loans. Was CBN willing, ready and capable of containing the problem? Yes and that was already in progress but quiet. The Banks were not going to fail. The only thing that was different was STYLE.

While Sanusi took printed money and took over the banks thus sacking their heads, Soludo was giving the banks, financial support via the background pending when they are up on their own. I also know that recapitalization of banks were being worked out as a result of some of the issues. This would ultimately have led to the removal of some of the bank heads. Would Cecilia have gone to prison? That I cant tell but I dont think Soludo's priority at the time was sending people to prison.

The thing that is being missed between Soludo and Sanusi is that while the former was bound to CREATE, DEVELOP and ATTAIN new heights in the financial markets, even with the attendant risks, the latter threads very carefully, content with just doing the basics and avoiding controversies
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Gbawe: 10:34am On Feb 01, 2011
Onlytruth:

Make Aganga no chicken out o!

De guy be like say na coward. undecidedWhy am I not surprised.

It may be the norm for our senators to trade blows regularly and for our politicians to fight amd murder each other but we , ordinary Nigerians , show that we are no better than them in thinking Aganga a coward because he does not engage Soludo in a duel at the Market square. Soludo is simply a disgruntled element and an uncouth individual . He can criticise Aganga . That is his right.

As a technocrat , who was once involved with the Government, Soludo , more than anyone else , should know that a Minister in the Government cannot engage any random member of the public to a TV debate just because he is called out to do so . sadly a "random member of the public" is what Soludo is right now even if his ego will not let him accept that fact. Soludo is living on past glory if we can actually call it that. it is almost as if our leaders always have to fight , rather than unite, and we have to take sides for one reason or the other . Anyone looking at this issue purely as a Nigerian will see that Soludo's call for a debate is childish , rash and highly irrational. The only response that must come from a focused Finance Minister is a curt NO.

Aganga has spoken correctly . Engaging Soludo in any televised confrontation would demean an important Nigerian public office .It is not done anywhere else in the World.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Kennyblues(m): 11:13am On Feb 01, 2011
come to think of it fellow NLs, must our leaders always call for a debate to drive home a point? Initially, it was the Ogun Lawmaker calling the Executive for a debate to pass a law for a N100B bond to Atiku calling for GEJ in a duet. Now its Soludo wanting to take on Aganga.

I hope Nigerians would not call Jega to a debate on national TV?
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Ibime(m): 11:28am On Feb 01, 2011
Thats what he should have said in the first place instead of involving himself in a mudslinging contest.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by gogo13233: 11:34am On Feb 01, 2011
Gbawe:

It may be the norm for our senators to trade blows regularly and for our politicians to fight amd murder each other but we , ordinary Nigerians , show that we are no better than them in thinking Aganga a coward because he does not engage Soludo in a duel at the Market square. Soludo is simply a disgruntled element and an uncouth individual . He can criticise Aganga . That is his right.

As a technocrat , who was once involved with the Government, Soludo , more than anyone else , should know that a Minister in the Government cannot engage any random member of the public to a TV debate just because he is called out to do so . sadly a "random member of the public" is what Soludo is right now even if his ego will not let him accept that fact. Soludo is living on past glory if we can actually call it that. it is almost as if our leaders always have to fight , rather than unite, and we have to take sides for one reason or the other . Anyone looking at this issue purely as a Nigerian will see that Soludo's call for a debate is childish , rash and highly irrational. The only response that must come from a focused Finance Minister is a curt NO.

Aganga has spoken correctly . Engaging Soludo in any televised confrontation would demean an important Nigerian public office .It is not done anywhere else in the World.  
really but Aganga should have remembered how highly place he is before he went on the TV to join issues with his betters, Oxford my foot
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Rhino5dm: 12:06pm On Feb 01, 2011
what has Oxford got do with competency?? Grrah!
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by FrankC3: 12:30pm On Feb 01, 2011
First off, i like this Soludo guy. I love his guts, class and finesse. I even love more his capacity to dare uncharted tracks.

But for Aganga or whatever his name is to engage Soludo in a war of words only to chicken out midway is childish to say the least. He used government media to call Soludo a crook who ought to be in jail, aired on national TV from the plains of Funtua to the swamps of Nembe. And now, he just discovered that he does not have time for a debate. Even more worrisome is the fact that Soludo was raising issues, stuffed with facts. Aganga's reply to the issue ought to have been an acknowledgment of the problem (because they really exist) and restating what government is doing to fix it and not to engage Soludo in names calling. As Soludo said, he lacks the capacity of understanding the problem how much more tackling them.

I must say that some of us gave Aganga a chance on hearing that he is coming from Goldman Sachs but he has proven that he has no new ideas. You will believe with me that conventional ideas can never solve Nigeria's problem. We need new ideas, not just a guy that comes to office in the morning to do routine stuff. Aganga should wake up and do his job. He can never win Soludo in a public or private debate and he knows that. Soludo is a tested war lord when it comes to economics, both in the academia and the battlefield. And since we are talking figure here, Soludo is a Professor of Econometrics, so he is more likely to interpret the figures better than Aganga will ever do. It serves him better not to ignite fires that will eat him up next time.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Kennyblues(m): 12:36pm On Feb 01, 2011
Well said, Frank-C
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Obiagu1(m): 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2011
Was it not this same Aganga that said Soludo should be in jail? Now Soludo has challenged him to put him in jail by proving to every Nigerian why Soludo ought to be in jail.
How will Nigeria move forward if Aganga chickens out instead of putting the Police or even the Army standby, after the debate and he proves that Soludo should be in jail, then good for Nigeria?

Talk of character assasination of the highest order. Aganga, is a f.ool! He obviously lacks the capacity to be in his current position.
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by DisGuy: 12:52pm On Feb 01, 2011
calyx:

He had said it over and and over and over again even after his regime in CBN. The Banks were absolutely safe in his CBN. Was there a problem? Yes! Bad loans. Was CBN willing, ready and capable of containing the problem? Yes and that was already in progress but quiet. The Banks were not going to fail. The only thing that was different was STYLE.

While Sanusi took printed money and took over the banks thus sacking their heads, Soludo was giving the banks, financial support via the background pending when they are up on their own. I also know that recapitalization of banks were being worked out as a result of some of the issues. This would ultimately have led to the removal of some of the bank heads. Would Cecilia have gone to prison? That I cant tell but I dont think Soludo's priority at the time was sending people to prison.

The thing that is being missed between Soludo and Sanusi is that while the former was bound to CREATE, DEVELOP and ATTAIN new heights in the financial markets, even with the attendant risks, the latter threads very carefully, content with just doing the basics and avoiding controversies

well the basics comes first doesn't it? creating and developing an environment where bank chiefs rob investors blind is not an achievement, some will rather avoid that controversy than claim it as  new heights!! Why will you be supporting people that steal billions to buy properties and private jets without collateral only to deal with them later, wont you remove the theif before assisting the firm

some people sef
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by FrankC3: 1:31pm On Feb 01, 2011
Dis Guy:

well the basics comes first doesn't it? creating and developing an environment where bank chiefs rob investors blind is not an achievement, some will rather avoid that controversy than claim it as  new heights!! Why will you be supporting people that steal billions to buy properties and private jets without collateral only to deal with them later, wont you remove the theif before assisting the firm

some people sef

Is this all that you see? Ok, Do you really believe that under this Sanusi, that UBA would have expanded to Zambia and GTB in Ghana among other places? Can i then accuse Sanusi of 'turning a blind eye' to expansion and thereby 'sabotaging' Nigeria's economic gains by denying us of some foreign investments and 'frustrating' international business visibility?
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 01, 2011
@frank c: im proud to find some1 like u here who understood what d issue was and addressed it d way a rational being shld just d way u did. Well said, aganga is just ve an overblotted profile which has nt translated to anything positive economicaly, even recently the CBN governour showed us how empty dis aganga guy is! Aganga shld ve told us why our ECA account is empty at a time when d price of oil in d international market? He shld ve also told us y we are returning back to d era of debt accumulation under his tenure? He shld also have used dat opportunity to tell us d economic rational behind borrowint #2trln to finance a budget of consumption for 2011? Its like its a crime to ask fundermental questions abt our economy? Any issue raised is seen as an attack on d president even when dis issues are visible 4all 2c yet some people will rather prefer us all to keep quite and allow d rot to keep pilling just because d man in charge is our guy der4 he shld be allowed 2do whatever pleases him at d detriment of an entire country. NIGERIA AND ITS POLITIC OF SYCOPHANCY. Aganga pls tell us d true state our economy and what u ve been dng as a financial minister snc ur policy inpact cant be felt frm any quater and u claim 2be very busy and if i may ask! BUSY DOING WHAT?
Re: Public Debate: I’ve No Time For Soludo – Aganga by FrankC3: 1:51pm On Feb 01, 2011
byrron:

@frank c: im proud to find some1 like u here who understood what d issue was and addressed it d way a rational being shld just d way u did. Well said, aganga is just ve an overblotted profile which has nt translated to anything positive economicaly, even recently the CBN governour showed us how empty dis aganga guy is! Aganga shld ve told us why our ECA account is empty at a time when d price of oil in d international market? He shld ve also told us y we are returning back to d era of debt accumulation under his tenure? He shld also have used dat opportunity to tell us d economic rational behind borrowint #2trln to finance a budget of consumption for 2011? Its like its a crime to ask fundermental questions abt our economy? Any issue raised is seen as an attack on d president even when dis issues are visible 4all 2c yet some people will rather prefer us all to keep quite and allow d rot to keep pilling just because d man in charge is our guy der4 he shld be allowed 2do whatever pleases him at d detriment of an entire country. NIGERIA AND ITS POLITIC OF SYCOPHANCY. Aganga pls tell us d true state our economy and what u ve been dng as a financial minister snc  your policy inpact cant be felt frm any quater and u claim 2be very busy and if i may ask! BUSY DOING WHAT?   

Busy not being able to answer important question like the ones you and Soludo are asking. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015 Elections: Nigerians Are Not Stupiid / Chief Olusegun Obasanjo Military/army Career (formal President Of Nigeria) / Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.