Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,362 members, 7,950,757 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 09:15 PM

Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? (18875 Views)

Share Your Bad Experiences With Bank Charges Here / Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences / Your experiences with the UBA Naira Visa Africard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by cheexy: 2:07am On Jun 23, 2007
Tmoni:

@ cheexy,
thats quite interesting,

cross breed of IT and investment,
should see u at the top

nice analysis
@Tmoni
Thanks, please make sure you guys over there bombard the DG with questions and get the list of sanctioned brokers. I can't seem to lay my hands on the information and we all need it.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by rightdude(m): 12:20pm On Jun 23, 2007
aib chop my money, am yet to recover from that, abeg any news about aib and depositors money
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Tmoni(m): 1:16pm On Jun 23, 2007
really sorry cheexy,

could not get concrete infomation if the DG was going to be there so i decided not to go there,

and i really want to see the DG on a one-on-one basis,

will call bigboylary and find out whats going on??
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ThoniaSlim(f): 2:50am On Jun 24, 2007
@topic
so far i think the best bank in Nigeria is GTB, their services and customer care top the list. for intercontinental bank they are thieves and a useless bank, i can never dream of opening a domiciliary account with them. the telegraphic transfer it takes only two days to transfer money to Malaysia using GTB, but banks like intercontinental bank it takes more than one week, what trash. they need to stop making mouth about being one of the best, because they are one of the worse in customer services.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by spaceworld: 9:58am On Jun 24, 2007
My experience with UBA is not too good at all, i have a saving account with the bank, it took me almost 3months that they do charge me access charge which 105 per transaction, within Lagos branch network, they day i notice this i queried the held desk lady why the deduction, but i let let realize is within Lagos, she said that is the bank rules, and within a week i do make up to 5 to 6 withdrawal from other UBA branch, i now asked what is the way out, i was told to subscribe for ATM card, which i did,

My people it took me more that six month to have the ATM, notice their reluctance for the ATM i just went to my domiciliary branch to withdrawl all my money and go to GTB, after series of mail to customer service and calls the internet complains, i was upon to come and pick up my ATM card and then reactivate the account back.

For FBN, big for nothing telling me they are doing online, i was asked to go Epe where my branch was located to withdrawl i was so mad that day, i got to Epe the Accountant refuse to close my account for me, i explain to her i need to withdrawl that the account i was told to apply for ATM that with it i can withdrawl any where, OK i did as said, infact the germination period to grow the ATM is 4 months while the production took 3 months, what are we now saying

For Zenith, per transaction of ATM on the same bank network cost N65, so what is the difference with using it on other network which cost N100, na real wa oo, UBA ZENITH charge N100 for online banking monthly which is not too good,

To cap it all GTB na de bank online banking, ATM are free i prefare GTB to all, prudent service delivery and value for customer relation
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:06am On Jun 24, 2007
@space world
you mean to withdraw from a zenith bank using your zenith bank card cost N65? shocked na wa ohh so to even withdraw your own money again na wahala.
, i keep saying it that apart from GTB BANK that has met international standards to a certain degree in customer services and other services. and ECO BANK that is trying ALL OTHER BANKS ARE USELESS AND ROGUES. angry
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by romeo(m): 10:23am On Jun 24, 2007
mine is a bit funny, i was in Enugu after the Christmas with my families and friends, and one of my friends was contesting for a seat in enugu state house of assembly and i was going to give him 50,000 naira to finish the payment for his campaign posters, so we went to Zenith bank enugu branch, so my friend was on suit and tie with nice shoe and shirt and i was on track suits with converse snickers i.e looking so street!! the security men at the gate denied me entry into the bank citing we are 2 and that two people can not go into the bank the same time and i was like WHAT??

He then asked me what transaction are we two going to do inside the bank, i patiently responded that we are going to get some money from the bank. He then told me to wait for my friend outside to go get the money and i laughed telling him i am the owner of the account, then he said i should go in alone but i refused and i requested to see the manager immediately hahahahaha eventhough i have not been allowed in i was resquesting to see the manager, but the dude told me that if i want to see the manager i'll have to put in writing, so they gave me a paper and pen and i wrote telling the manager that i am a customer of their Branch in okota Lagos but i came to enugu and the security man at the gate will not allow me in for reasons best to known to him, when the security guy saw this he was so mad telling me that i should change the whole story because he's not going to send this to the manager.

You know people don't makes calls at the banks? i do sometimes!! because they look at the phone first before asking you not to make or receive calls, i brought out my phone and i dialled and the security guys did not say anything because they didn't know who i was calling but i was calling Zenith bank okota and immediately they called the manager of enugu branch and he came out rushing to the gate insulting, threating and all he could on the security guy. They took me and my friend to the office and my story changed to i want all my money out of this bank today, hahahaha come see wahala for bank that day inside manager office but they told me i can not close my account from their branch and i took many minutes of phone conversation with the manager in okota to convince me and the guy took me to the counter and directed the cashier to leave every other customer and pay me any amount i wanted and they did immediately and i was there to collect 50k but i ended up collecting 200k just not to come back to the bank so soon (but i was only doing inyanga to them like they treated me initially)

And the next time i went to the bank i went with my car and they opened the front gate for me and allowed my car inside their premises LMAO
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by DisGuy: 11:21am On Jun 24, 2007
i think the manager at these banks are concentrating too much on their international ratings and dodgy awards than on the real people that matter! they take those 'independent' reviewers to their cushy offices in victoria island instead of those at idumota

apart from getting 'best customer awards' they should start giving out 'poor customer awards'!!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MCASHMONEy(m): 5:28am On Jun 25, 2007
hahaha the best bank so far in nigeria is zenith bank cos dey dont have any probelm with there customers at all
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by hyipmoney2(f): 5:51am On Jun 25, 2007
My worst experience was when i filled an online form and rushed to my bank to wire money abroad, I was told that I must have domicillary account with them. I said no pros, that am ready to open one, they said no that i must first open current account and operate it for 6months, i said shoooooooooooooo
Then, I rushed to GTB and the wahala was double, they sid i must run current account for one year.

And i needed to wire the money that day.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by 2dye4(m): 7:55am On Jun 25, 2007
my worst bank experience was with UBA (former STB). I was a student back then and the bank raised its minimum bal. to N2000. i casually made a remark about it to the teller lady, that it wasn't favourable for students and to my shock she said i should endeavor to close the account as the are not interested in customers like me. The sloth was so unapologetic and rude about it! angry

for me now, its GTB or nothing. they av issues once in a while but overall, their service delivery is top class compared to other banks.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by spaceworld: 8:59am On Jun 25, 2007
@toniaslim,
Yes, using ur Zenith ATM card on Zenith ATM machine and network cost u N65 per transaction, only N35 difference using other banks ATM network aides ur bank, they are rogues and thieves, even using on line portal of the bank it cost you N100 per month, The world u could not use Zenith ATM to withdrawal from ur account if u have minimum balance of N6,000, while u could withdrawal to ZERO naira from ur GTB acct even from other bank ATM networks
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by liveman: 1:05pm On Jun 25, 2007
I had always been impressed with ETB, till i was annoyed one afternoon when i go there to withdraw money. I always put in money in the acct and withdrew some only once with their slips after showing my passbook anyway. But on this fateful day, they said no, i had to come with an ID Card. I havent been around anyway but you should at least be flexible enough. I am the owner of my account, you have confirmed it but you refuse to give me money cos i dont have a BANK ID. Its ridiculous
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Olagold(m): 4:52pm On Jun 25, 2007
We opened salary account with WEMA bank in my office, so after filling the ID card, i attched my passport and signed at the back and returned it to them for the approval, but to my surprise when the id card was returned one was missing and mine was having another signature and account number. so i took it back to them and instead of them to admit their mistake, they said maybe i signed another person id card. After so much arguement, they agreed to give me another id card to fill, they asked for another passport photograph and i asked them to remove the one on the condemed id card, it was then they found out that two id cards were laminated together, mine on top and the missing one at the bottom.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MP007(m): 5:31pm On Jun 25, 2007
messing with my ATM card,
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by omoge(f): 5:59pm On Jun 25, 2007
quite interesting read here grin but serious matter. why should they act like that when it's your money?

i hope they improve cuz it's not fair at all the way they treat their customers.

Romeo, i laughed so hard at yours experience grin
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ThoniaSlim(f): 6:09pm On Jun 25, 2007
thats the problem they never respect the fact that its your money, and without the customer they cannot be there. i think one thing banks should also implement in their recruiting criteria for employees is a possession of interpersonal communication skills. this is a quality 99% of bankers lack.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by soulpatrol(f): 10:26pm On Jun 25, 2007
wow, i feel really bad for y'all. but what is it with our people and their non challant behavior towards customers? they seem to totally forget that with no customers, there will be no pay, right? its high time employees are made to go through extensive customer service training. haba. no wonder business never moves forward and people wonder why?
naija culture has very bad customer services and we need to step up our game and make the effort to please the customer. stop the attitude that if you lose one customer, another one will come by. thats rubbish! angry
our people just like acting like goats even in a professional setting. if the person helping you is not hissing under her breath, then she's eyeing you with bad eyes to make you go away.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ilabor: 2:41pm On Jun 26, 2007
the banks are as solid as olumo rock NOW! thanks to soludo the ORACLE! grin
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by SAYTEK: 3:24pm On Jun 26, 2007
flashme cash
them no get head,
i thought it will be a pleasure distributing cash through my phne never knew it will head ache.
i sent money and i got charged.
to send five hundred ou have to lose 250.
so tell me what is flashing in the cash.

beter change to money sending courrier
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by angel101(f): 6:37pm On Jun 26, 2007
LOL!! naija bank experiences. where do i start?

ok i bank with First Inland (formerly First Atlantic) and i have had various silly experiences with them. I will only tell u a few

1. once i went to pay money (cash) in at my branch (awolowo rd Ikoyi) so that i could write a cheque for a car i was buying. The dealer however insisted on cash and i had already taken delivery of the car so i asked him to go with me to the bank so that he could collect the money directly (as i no fit shout a la robbers and all). Anyway, we got to the bank and i presented my own cheque only to be told that my account was not funded! u can imagine the shock. na im i raise alarm o! they then came up with the pitiable story that they had not posted. for christs sake how long does it take to post payment within the same branch!

2. I went there another day o to cash my own cheque and they were keeping me endlessly. I aske what they problem was but they just kept saying pls be patient. and then the next thing i know, my phone was ringing. they were calling me for authorisation! i had to wonder wether they did not look at the name on the cheque (as i am the sole signatory to the account) not to talk of the fact that the actually have my picture as well.

3. another time i went to the bank (a diff branch) i had cashed money and then i asked the cashier for my balance. the guy totally ignored me and was speaking to a colleague of his. i got tired of waiting and decided to leave. the next time i went there the cashier had the effontry to tell me that the way i left the other day was not fair. i then asked him 'not fair to who?' and he said not fair to himself. so i educated him on the fact that he was actually there to serve me and not to play about with his mates and that if there was anything not fair, it was the fact that i did not immediately close my account.

there are many more but i'd rather not bore u with it all.
the bottom line is that to be able to bank easily in naija u have to know someone in the bank. a bank manager has actually told me that when i made a complaint. need i say more?!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by cheexy: 9:58pm On Jun 26, 2007
2dye4:

my worst bank experience was with UBA (former STB). I was a student back then and the bank raised its minimum bal. to N2000. i casually made a remark about it to the teller lady, that it wasn't favourable for students and to my shock she said i should endeavor to close the account as the are not interested in customers like me. The sloth was so unapologetic and rude about it! angry

for me now, its GTB or nothing. they av issues once in a while but overall, their service delivery is top class compared to other banks.
What? shocked That is gangsta shocked
I went to First Bank at customs street marina lagos (near stock exchange building) today and asked to check my balance as i don't use that account often and the customer service woman totally ignored me. It was so obvious that it was beef. I just started laughing and glided to a younger customer service officer and that one was so nice. I even chatted briefly with her. When i was about to leave, i smiled, turned back and saw the older fatter lady staring at me in shock shocked. I guess she expected me to be angry and when i did the opposite, it totally through her off balance.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by yaro248(m): 10:17pm On Jun 26, 2007
KUDOS to GTB and Intercontinental Bank, WOE to UBA !!!

I have never seen a bank trying to chase their customers away but UBA. it's really unfortunate banking with UBA.

Imagine a bank charging you some amount for saving less than 5000 naira at the end of every month.

I think the meaning of UBA should be----Unfortunate Bank of Africa rather than United Bank for Africa.

GTB una weldone jare.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by soulpatrol(f): 10:20pm On Jun 26, 2007
@angel 101. good lord, i'm shocked o!  shocked ha, if only because one had to use banks o, i for just go back to the era of stuffing my money under my mattress jeje. what is wrong with those people! it seems there isn't a process in place to deal with banking services, or the employees are just not following it. i feel like implementing some solid hard-core training for these people. kai, 0 customer service. what a shame!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Caradona(f): 10:48pm On Jun 26, 2007
I once deposited money with UBA and I wanted to withdraw some money the next day
when it was my turn to be served, The stupid bank Teller said he suspects that I'm a prostitute who launders money for the rich Babas . he told me to go away because the bank doesn't need streetwalkers like me in their bankshocked
I was shocked beyond shock when i heard that shocked
luckily i had witnesses when he said it to me and I really raised hell for him that day. I threaten the bank i will go to the press plus I'll have them sued. thankfully the Manager apologized and the next day I had extra N5000 in my account. I don't know how it got there or if it was a bank error.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by dee007(m): 11:38pm On Jun 26, 2007
I also had a similar experience with Firstinland Bank's flash me cash. I flashed some money 2 a Friend of mine and instantly this people sent me a text stating my A/c balance and stating that N250 has been deducted from my Account as service charge. Just imagine N250 as service charge!!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by SweetT1: 11:39pm On Jun 26, 2007
@Caradona
Looking at your picture, i see why he would have said that. You are one hot little mama ! Can i get your digits??
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by layifioren(m): 7:25am On Jun 27, 2007
WOW, don't even know what to say. Charge me money to take my money out? Most banks here actually give you the ATM fee back. I really feel for you all.

I'll second babyosisi to write my non-Nigeria bad experience. I have a jar that I normally put all my coins. Oneday like that I thought to go pay them into my bank account. Being the nature of my job I have foreign currencies from several countries. I paid the money into my account and later in the week I got a letter from the bank saying they took out some amount from my account because I had some foreign coins. I went to the back to get my foreign coins back atleast they don take the money from my account so make them give me back my coins. The banker told me they threw the coins away. I said what! Most of the coins cost more than a dollar after conversion. I went to talk to the bank manager and she told me they were Canadian coins and I almost slapped her because I've never been to Canada. To cut the long story short, they took the money from my account and threw away my coins too. It's my fault in the first place but it's also there fault for not checking to make sure I did not have any foreign currency before I left the bank. I just advised the bank manager to do things wisely next time and at least give the customer a particular amount of time to come get their money before they trash them.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by soulpatrol(f): 7:59am On Jun 27, 2007
they threw the foreign coins out? yeah right! more like they found their way into their pockets. angry
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by layifioren(m): 9:39am On Jun 27, 2007
soulpatrol:

they threw the foreign coins out? yeah right! more like they found their way into their pockets. angry

Abi o
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ebos(m): 12:00pm On Jun 27, 2007
Bank experience very sad. It was in March 2002 when Savannah Bank License was revoked coupled with the pull out of our company from Rivers State that followed it two months later. Everything was gone and life started afresh, it looked like a dream then, but it was a reality. May we not witness those days again. GTB is the best for now but I don't know of tomorrow.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 12:15pm On Jun 27, 2007
So far so good, GTB has been complimented by myriad of her customers. I hope the management teams are taking note, encourage the staffers and make them do more. Me I even love GTB for allowing customers to take their calls in the banking halls. This ensures that businesses are not lost while in bank!

Intercontinental has received highest number of bashing, I hope people take note! undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Here Is How To Withdraw Money From Ur Banned/Limited Paypal Acct 2 Ur Naija Bank / Piggybank.ng, The Nigerian Fintech Startup That Just Raised $1.1million / How Do I Get The Cheapest Clothes To Sell, Abroad Or Here In Naija?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.