Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,478 members, 7,911,131 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 04:52 AM

Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? (16698 Views)

Football Club You Would Never Support Even At Gun Point.. / What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? / Lebron James Says All Players In Liverpool Are His Favorite Football Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Kaysalas(m): 12:21pm On Jul 06, 2020
Constantjohn:
Ronaldinho brought me to barca..

I use to be in love with Kaka of Ac Milan b4 I met Ronaldinho..

Then I fell in love with barca... That was 2005/2006...

Then Messi came on the stage.. I became a die hard Barca - Messi fan..

[b] Thank God I never supported Arsenal, who knows if I will still be alive.... Hypertension for Don kill me tey tey gringringrin

Only arsenal fans can marry and will never cheat on their wives... They are so faithful ehnnnn grin[/b]won and since then arsenal has s
Almost killed u gringringringrin
2005 March the 8th. Chelsea Vs Barca. Chelsea qualified ahead of Barca that night, and I remember telling someone in sweet sensation(where I watched the match), opposite crystal hospital Egbeda, (my mum was admitted there) that Barca was gonna win the Champions League next year2006. So, it happened, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Larsson. That team was awesome
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by delkuf(m): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2020
JasperVII:
I've been a fan of Manchester United since I was a child. My parents and brothers told me that my favourite player then was Van Nistelroy who I called "Ban Ban Nistelroy" . I grew up loving Cristiano Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov etc. Such sweet memories
How old are you now
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Mentorme: 12:31pm On Jul 06, 2020
In 2009 when they beat Arsenal 4:2. Although, I can't tell which cup is that, because prior to that; I have not been watching games or supports any club.
Remember, that was some years after my graduation. So, not that I'm a small boy but doesn't have interest in football.
Did I forgot to tell you that was the first day I heard of Man City? kiss
Well, I was known as one-man-squad in viewing center in those days. grin
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Joemetry(m): 12:34pm On Jul 06, 2020
paulolee:
remember back then i was a millan fan and enjoyed watching millan in ma dad's viewing center back then but i jus lacked the zeal and excitement watching them because their matches seems boring at a time and mayb it because its only ucl i do see them but not until i watched a Barcelona match and fell madly in love with gaucho..
gaucho was just too good, his endless skills, crazy passes, funny body faints and most importantly that ever smiling face with his big teeths and people even said he is using jazz and a magician back den..
i enjoyed watching him tru out the ucl games dt barca won arsernal, d way he dribbled and embarrassed dt millan mafian gattuso and dt crazy dancing goal he scored chelsea, even if he was silent in d final...gaucho won my heart to barca and messi cemented it till now and still happy i choosed them....
in other news- same inter wey win 750k for me last week wen playing away naim still cut my 530 ticket last nite in their home and miss p.k join....
wat i learnt is dt "Ticket wey wan cut go cut" bt dt loss pain me badly n didn't sleep last nite, wunt forgive lautaro unless he moves to barca..

Make you de share game for us abeg, scammers too plenty for nairaland.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Gerrard59(m): 12:35pm On Jul 06, 2020
Initially (2004), I was a fan of Chelsea due to Drogba and how they were so good at winning matches. However, most of Chelsea's fans were toutish and displayed an agbero mentality, something I despised. I needed to support a new club, I tried supporting Manchester United but couldn't find the reason to. In 2005, I watched how Liverpool came from behind to win the Champions League and the influence Steven Gerrard had on the team coupled with Rafa Benitez's calm demeanour. That stuck! A year later, I became a fan of Liverpool Fc, bought all kinds of memorabilia and was literally the only Liverpool fan everywhere I went. Last year and this year have been the best moments as a fan.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by zudozz: 12:36pm On Jul 06, 2020
Chelsea in 97...when Babayaro joined them..

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by delkuf(m): 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2020
Samiah33:

The Madrid of that time, Casillas ; Hiero; Canavaro; Carlos; Salgado; Makalele; Zizou; Beckham; Figo; Raul; Ronaldo; Guti ; Cambiaso; Campo; Solari ; Stupid Morietes then before the likes of Owen and Huguian, Benzema, Gago, Graveson, Emerson, Lasana, men don play for Madrid ooo
I don't know what happened to Gago. a very good midfielder but I think injuring killed is career
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Omoslim26: 12:51pm On Jul 06, 2020
A305:
Interesting thread.

I guess my love affair with Chelsea fc started in 2005/2006 after I briefly flirted with Bacelonia FC.

It all began when I was an avid newpapers reader in that period of my life, each time I picked a newspaper to read news and matters arising, when I reach the sport/football section and glance at the English Premier league table One club with an unpopular name at the time use to be top of that table for every week - l loved the name first initially but this club never seems to drop from that number 1 spot on that table for several weeks into months.

Keep in mind, I wasn't watching football at the time nor did I ever have any access to watch the premier league (we didn't have DSTV), I just know lots of people (men) take interest in football and I love playing as well and could recognize popular names like Batistuta, Ortega, Ronaldo and the likes prior to world cup competition.

Club football was relatively new to me at that point of my life and the only club I stuck with but not like i love them that much was Bacelonia, this was because Ronaldinho, Man was a football god at the time, I loved him and still do. Ronaldinho made me loved the idea of picking Barcelona as my favourite club.

If laliga was as popular in the Nigeria media at that time, I would have stuck with them but English premier league dominated the Nigerian media more.

So basically, The moment of truth came when Chelsea finally squared up to Bacelonia in Champions league - I just loved the ROMAN ARMY era of Chelsea fc and their winning ways, it was a tough decision, however, I was neutral during the match but I can't can't deny love for Chelsea at that point. Lots of chelsea players influenced my decision back to have joined them, players like;

Drogba
Hernan Crespo
Darmen Duffy
Celestine Babayaro
Lampard Frank
Baba Terrible Terry
Geremi
Arjen Robben (man was playing like Ronaldo and Messi combined at the time)
Gudijossen
Kezman
Joecole
Ricardo Calvaho.

I still love Chelsea till data and my daughter is gonna be named Chelsea. I love Roman Abramovic too.

Name your son Action bitters so e go balance well

UNOO

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Yale9(m): 12:55pm On Jul 06, 2020
Emmariks:
Check again and you'll see three Chelsea fans comments inbetween every comment.
NOT WHAT I FEEL THO.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Bobwitwicky(m): 12:58pm On Jul 06, 2020
Ugaboy:
2002, was still in primary school, i believe below basic 4. my father bought me a madrid jersey... With the player name and No 23, david beckham. It was completely WHITE and BEAUTIFUL.
i only took it as just normal cloth then...we only recognise like clubs "up blues then as in chelsea and gunners as in arsenal etc". I never wanted to follow the crowd, i want a suitable club to support. I got to see this logo on a book. From A JOHNSON PUBLISHER, the love started, i made some reasearch, i was giving many names like the galaticos, white angels, madrid etcs, as i grew up i began to get attach with the club. The day i watch a match and they won.
THAT WHEN MY LOVE STARTED FOR THE CLUB...TILL DATE I'M A DIE-HARD "REAL MADRID" FAN

Haha..... Real Madrid signed David Beckham after 2002/2003 season, he even scored a free kick against Real Madrid in their quater final second leg tie at old trafford........ How come u got the jersey in 2002
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 12:59pm On Jul 06, 2020
jagorinho:
year - 2003
club - inter milan
Reasons-
1. I hate moving with the crowd, Nigeria is a pro premiership country, I had to look for something different.
2. Acquisition of Obafemi Martins.
3. The beautiful away jersey of 2002/2003 season
4. when I checked inter Milan's Facebook page and they ended one of their articles with "Inter , not for everyone." that was a soothing piece of information for me because my friends always made jest of me for being the only one supporting Inter they have seen.
........Forza Nerazzuri...........#notforeveryone

Inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:00pm On Jul 06, 2020
Abusadiq01:
Every Madrid fan was once a Chelsea fan, if wan to argue, wait lemme charge my phone!

Lool. Charge your phone and come an prove this..
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:01pm On Jul 06, 2020
Ugaboy:
which of the united
Hahaha. Stop being mischievous.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by aytigidz433(m): 1:03pm On Jul 06, 2020
PattyMike:
I started to support Chelsea in late 2005, even at a young age I felt there was something wrong, I'm in the wrong place. The next year 2006 I watched a Man u match and switched to Man U immediately cus of how they played. Oh watching Ronaldo and Rooney was a joy, oh Ronaldo dribbling ruined Ashley Cole career. I denounced Chelsea immediately and I have never looked back, till date nothing irritates me more than watching Chelsea play and their supporters especially the supporters. They are the most aggressive fellows I have ever met, u just try to banter a Chelsea fan e will baff u with spit, if u keep arguing he can slap ur face. Only Chelsea fans, very troublesome set of people.

Very agberoistic ppl. grin
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by TheSourcerer: 1:05pm On Jul 06, 2020
PattyMike:
I started to support Chelsea in late 2005, even at a young age I felt there was something wrong, I'm in the wrong place. The next year 2006 I watched a Man u match and switched to Man U immediately cus of how they played. Oh watching Ronaldo and Rooney was a joy, oh Ronaldo dribbling ruined Ashley Cole career. I denounced Chelsea immediately and I have never looked back, till date nothing irritates me more than watching Chelsea play and their supporters especially the supporters. They are the most aggressive fellows I have ever met, u just try to banter a Chelsea fan e will baff u with spit, if u keep arguing he can slap ur face. Only Chelsea fans, very troublesome set of people.
ROTFL
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by BLESSICA: 1:06pm On Jul 06, 2020
paulolee:
remember back then i was a millan fan and enjoyed watching millan in ma dad's viewing center back then but i jus lacked the zeal and excitement watching them because their matches seems boring at a time and mayb it because its only ucl i do see them but not until i watched a Barcelona match and fell madly in love with gaucho..
gaucho was just too good, his endless skills, crazy passes, funny body faints and most importantly that ever smiling face with his big teeths and people even said he is using jazz and a magician back den..
i enjoyed watching him tru out the ucl games dt barca won arsernal, d way he dribbled and embarrassed dt millan mafian gattuso and dt crazy dancing goal he scored chelsea, even if he was silent in d final...gaucho won my heart to barca and messi cemented it till now and still happy i choosed them....
in other news- same inter wey win 750k for me last week wen playing away naim still cut my 530 ticket last nite in their home and miss p.k join....
wat i learnt is dt "Ticket wey wan cut go cut" bt dt loss pain me badly n didn't sleep last nite, wunt forgive lautaro unless he moves to barca..
Abeq show me small love na make i take fund my bet9ja account.....abeq bro, no amount is small. Na just to fund my bet9ja. I fit give u my ID make you run am.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by incredible2017: 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2020
mine was when mourinho won the premier league 2005/2006, had a frank lampard Jersey and my senior sis bf then was a Chelsea fan.
Sweet old memories.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Bobwitwicky(m): 1:08pm On Jul 06, 2020
Samiah33:

The Madrid of that time, Casillas ; Hiero; Canavaro; Carlos; Salgado; Makalele; Zizou; Beckham; Figo; Raul; Ronaldo; Guti ; Cambiaso; Campo; Solari ; Stupid Morietes then before the likes of Owen and Huguian, Benzema, Gago, Graveson, Emerson, Lasana, men don play for Madrid ooo

You just mixed the whole thing together.... Hiero did not played with Beckham that joined Madrid in the summer of 2003 not to talk of canavaro that came after 2006 World Cup..... Owen came to Madrid ahead of canavaro
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Bobwitwicky(m): 1:15pm On Jul 06, 2020
Abusadiq01:
Every Madrid fan was once a Chelsea fan, if wan to argue, wait lemme charge my phone!

Don't say every Madrid fan.... Some of us have been supporting Real Madrid when Chelsea was a whipping boys for arsenal and man utd.....
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Kindledlight(m): 1:19pm On Jul 06, 2020
As a patriotic Nigerian,i was supporting Arsenal because of Nwankwo Kanu that was 2002.

Then in 2005 after under 20 world cup Mikel moved to Chelsea and Jose Mourinho’s factor.Hey that was how my blood became BLUE.Since then proud CHELSEA fan...

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:22pm On Jul 06, 2020
mrkings84:

Aprokko, he is!!

If he wasn't, he would have stated it in his story

For me, as a blue fan, similar thing made me join the blues, in the 98 preciously, we use to watch football match in a neighbor's house, the man and his children were man u fans, we had arsenal fans around too, so each time they play against Chelsea they will always yab the few Chelsea fans around, so out of what I could call pity to those fewer fans of Chelsea in our compound then, I decided to fan the blues, and that really balance things as I was a good argumentator, that time we Chelsea fans start having our way I my neighborhood.

Sincerely speaking, I have no regrets for joining Chelsea then cos the club has won everything a big club should win and is still winning.

Do u know Chelsea has lifted more trophies than any other epl team in the last decade Oya go visit your friend Google!!!

Lool. Wasn't doing aproko. I know Chelsea of then isn't the same as the one of now. So many lets down. But then, it's none of my business tho. *picks teeth*
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Ayomiposi001: 1:22pm On Jul 06, 2020
scylentstorm:
What inspired you to start supporting the Football Club you are currently supporting?

For me, it was sheer emotion. I'm an Arsenal fan. Before the 2006 UEFA Champions League, I had no definite clubside I support. I would always want the underdogs to win even if the odds against them was 100 to 1.

During the first half of the 2006 UCL final, Arsenal seemed to me to be the better side, they had more popular names compared to their opponent, Barca. So I wanted them to lose. It was a bad belle kinda thing. My support for Barcelona in this match was further heightened when Arsenal was a goal up. However, when Lehmann got that unfortunate red card and things started to fall apart for Arsenal, I began to develop a soft spot for them. Quickly in the second half when Barca started leading 2-1 and Arsenal was displaced to the underdog that I had always loved to support, I thought "oh no, this match mustn't end this way".

The rest is history.

They lost the match and I became one of their biggest sympathizers then and a fan till date. I'm actually regretting that now.

How and when did you start supporting your club?
Exactly my story bro. I can't forget that goal from Eto'o that made it 1:1. The likes of Ashley Cole, Robert Pires, About Diaby, Ljungberg, Eboue, Sol Campbell, my main man Thierry Henry and others I can't remember their names at the moment.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:24pm On Jul 06, 2020
Decimus:

You made the right choice and i must say you have a spectacular insight. What happened in that match has been the story of Arsenal's history since then. So keep enjoying what you like.

Thanks man.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:33pm On Jul 06, 2020
grin
brainshaker:
I use to support Andre shevshenko in Ac Milan then I was 7 I loved him so much I remember when my dad told me he had moved to Chelsea I quickly changed alliance,since then I've bled blue for more than 13 years

So what Lampard's photo got to do with what you just narrated?
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Emma1Oj(m): 1:34pm On Jul 06, 2020
(1) Alonso, his soft touches on balls. in the midfielder doing the dirty job quietly.

(2) The prophetic word "You'll never walk alone".

(3) Mascherano.. his aggressiveness. Dare try to pass him with the ball and die

(4) Louis Gacia..

(5) Kurt and Benayong..their skills and determination.

I'm Liverpool. I support Liverpool, I stand by Liverpool.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Donniest22(m): 1:44pm On Jul 06, 2020
scylentstorm:
What inspired you to start supporting the Football Club you are currently supporting?

For me, it was sheer emotion. I'm an Arsenal fan. Before the 2006 UEFA Champions League, I had no definite clubside I support. I would always want the underdogs to win even if the odds against them was 100 to 1.

During the first half of the 2006 UCL final, Arsenal seemed to me to be the better side, they had more popular names compared to their opponent, Barca. So I wanted them to lose. It was a bad belle kinda thing. My support for Barcelona in this match was further heightened when Arsenal was a goal up. However, when Lehmann got that unfortunate red card and things started to fall apart for Arsenal, I began to develop a soft spot for them. Quickly in the second half when Barca started leading 2-1 and Arsenal was displaced to the underdog that I had always loved to support, I thought "oh no, this match mustn't end this way".

The rest is history.

They lost the match and I became one of their biggest sympathizers then and a fan till date. I'm actually regretting that now.

How and when did you start supporting your club?

Hahahaha grin

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:44pm On Jul 06, 2020
DPricey1:
I became a Chelsea fan in 2009.

I've always loved football but mum wouldn't allow me go watch at viewing centres.
So I usually wait up for my brother to come back and gist me.
On this occasion, it was Barca vs. Chelsea (UCL semi final), my brother came back, I asked him how it went, and he burst into tears.

He kept saying he'll never forgive Ovrebo.
I had pity on him and on Chelsea.

No one deserves such injustice so I gave all my love to Chelsea on that day.

Thankfully, I gained admission the next year and was free to go watch matches since then

The "he burst into tears" made me laugh really hard. So basically, your support for Chelsea was driven by emotion.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:49pm On Jul 06, 2020
jclave22:
mine was so awkward... I supported random team back in 2008....so one day my friends ask me which club I do support I said no one and they started laughing I felt as if I haven't achieved something they have.... so I do go to football centre to watch matches to decide club I would choose... mehn back then man u was fire.. like wise Barça. but I don't have any feeling to support even chelsea but there fans even push me far away from them... I saw Arsenal and looking at there series of breaking fans heart I just no try reason them.... then I saw the reds... Steven Gerrard caught my love and that funny Reina tho they are not in best form but I still admire them... especially the way there fans chant even when they are losing not like arsenal fans crying like the lost a life contract ....i develop more love to them... so one day I met those my friends and told them I'm a Liverpool fans they laugh at me.. I felt bad... but anytime I see Liverpool Jersey or anything concerning the club it lift my spirit despite they are not in good form.. and note people don't watch there match back then. in football centre you would see Max of 5people , except if is a rival match that's when the crowd stays.... the Fernando Torres gave me joy of a bad day when I remember his solo goals.... my club is historical something many fans dream there club have.... loserpool... you will walk alone... Gerrard slippers.....despite Chelsea fans pushing me away from the club that club still came back and hurt my sweet club in many competition and I hated them more..... up Liverpool epl champ....assenal, womanchester United... manshity oil money...who laugh last laugh best

I love this. Quite inspiring.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:50pm On Jul 06, 2020
perdollar:
this combo is too strong for ur mental health. u can take only weed but pls don't add poo inhalation, tramadol, codeine n ice again

Hahaha! You noticed the 'highness' too.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by JasperVII(m): 1:52pm On Jul 06, 2020
delkuf:
How old are you now
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by PaulH07: 1:54pm On Jul 06, 2020
Lovelive:
Raul Gonzalez

All hail "Hala Madrid" !

Thank God I can see someone I can relate with...

Most kids here just dey yearn "2012, I was in secondary school", "2002, I was in primary school" etc...

So many small pikin dey here ooo, come dey make me feel like one old papa for here sha...
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 1:55pm On Jul 06, 2020
EverGlorious:
In the year 2006, my big bro bought our first PS2 and first game we played was soccer (winning eleven). He chose Man Red for me and first goal I scored was with C. Ronaldo, a sweet header from corner kiss...and then my dear friends was when I fell in love with Manchester United! grin

Man U for life!!! cheesy

Weird! Lol.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Enyimba FC Vs Raja Casablanca: Ikpeazu, Siasia & Pinnick At Enyimba Stadium Aba / Football Betting Strategy PDF - Winning Secrets (Formula 101) / Nigeria Tops Group After Cruising To Win Over Guinea-Bissau.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.