Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,464 members, 7,891,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 10:25 PM

Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? (4665 Views)

Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? / Top 10 Richest Pastors In The World / Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by Longtitude: 8:35pm On Feb 04, 2011
This is common sense, if they are earning an income, then they should be subject to the the tax regime. In fact if they are truly God sent, this issue should not arise. I bet that if they have to declare their income, they will secure the services of the best tax accountants in town.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:09pm On Feb 04, 2011
i think most people are confused

a pastor is someone who leads a church or parish he is employed by the church and the church pays him/her

so the question is, do churches pay TAX if they do then a pastor salary can be TAXED
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by fredoooooo: 9:57pm On Feb 04, 2011
church or pastor they should not only pay tax , they should also pay 10% grin grin grin
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by zibe(m): 10:32pm On Feb 04, 2011
Well according to the PITA and CITA (companies Incone Tax Act), what they earn is not regarded as chargeable income, therefore not taxable; but with the rate at which these pastors are going, I really think they should be taxed. The government will really gain some reasonable revenue from them.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 4:50am On Feb 05, 2011
^^
Seems some people on this forum can't differentiate btw pastor's personal income which is subject to tax and church income which should be tax free. Anyway in a lot these pentecostal churches which operate like one man business there is no difference.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by Joagbaje(m): 6:40am On Feb 05, 2011
If a pastor does secular job or business , he ought to be taxed but if he is full time in ministry and receives allowance or support from the church, he ought not to be taxed. Jesus paid tax but he acknowledged it was illegally collected from him. Even though he received money and support from his congregation.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by Nobody: 7:07am On Feb 05, 2011
Give Unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar. Sure Pastors should pay tithes if the law suggests they should.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 7:34am On Feb 05, 2011
@joagbaje
It is not recorded anywhere in the bible that Jesus collected offerings from his congregation even though some of his followers ministered to his needs so stop twisting scriptures. Also the tax Jesus paid recorded in the bible was the "temple tax" which was used to run the temple in those days contrary to the false claims charlatans make that it is tithes that is used to run the temple.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 7:38am On Feb 05, 2011
Uncle joe I would like to see you before you leave Lagos, let me know how we can see.

PS: I hope you won't set your boys loose on me.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by andyprez(m): 9:04am On Feb 05, 2011
I know its a ''christian'' that will post this thread & make it look like a formal discussion. Why not post ''should religious leaders pay their tax?''. I'm saying this because majority of you guys are trigger-friendly to shoot or condemn pastors and you are so called christians. We all know that a muslim man will not post a thread like this. My advice, christians be smart.
I'm not a religious fanatic, I'm just being logical & sensible.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by heilige(m): 10:45am On Feb 05, 2011
They must pay. They shud also pay thier 10%
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by Joagbaje(m): 10:49am On Feb 05, 2011
KunleOshob:

@joagbaje
It is not recorded anywhere in the bible that Jesus collected offerings from his congregation even though some of his followers ministered to his needs so stop twisting scriptures.

Where did Jesus get money from? To buy food, rent house, hire boat,and also to feed 12 men that worked with him,

Also the tax Jesus paid recorded in the bible was the "temple tax" which was used to run the temple in those days contrary to the false claims charlatans make that it is tithes that is used to run the temple. And the welfare of the Levites came from tithes and offerings too.

Temple tax was for repairs and mainance . But objects of worship such as oil , incense, animals , grains etc came from tithes and offerings.

KunleOshob:

Uncle joe I would like to see you before you leave Lagos, let me know how we can see.

I left by first flight. I'll be back next week.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by KunleOshob(m): 12:00pm On Feb 05, 2011
@uncle joe
It is wrong to assume Jesus routinely collected offerings just becos the bible is silent on his source of income during his ministry. We know for a fact that he trained as a carpenter and some of the disciples were fishermen.

So you are back in the creeks of bayelsa, would have loved to see you anyways I am sure you guys made a lot of money at the AFM, I saw loads of potential victims/customers locked out when I passed by yesterday.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by udonna777: 12:04pm On Feb 05, 2011
Yes, They should pay tax because they are earn their own income, and with it our country can develop more than England, hahaaahaa
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by Joagbaje(m): 12:10pm On Feb 05, 2011
@Kunleoshob

I already answered you in my last post

Joagbaje:
I left by first flight. I'll be back next week.
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by anonimi: 6:53pm On Feb 05, 2011
yes.
Why not, if not.
Don't they enjoy police protection, roads, public schools, hospitals, street lights, traffic wardens etc
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by earlalright(m): 10:33pm On Feb 05, 2011
if alfas, native doctors, ritualists, cultists all pay their taxes - and if the govt is bold to ask them of it, then pastors should also pay tax
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by Olaye: 1:19am On Feb 06, 2011
If you really pay tax and you see the amount deducted from you salary each month cry.

I guess you will not be quick to judge in this case lipsrsealed.

With such deduction and you produce your own water, light, security, road, etc. angry

Instead of canvassing for religious leaders to pay tax (that is, if they are not already paying)

Our concern should be why nothing is being done with the one that all members are paying.

A painful case in Nigeria for me cry
Re: Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? by 677ano(m): 1:20pm On Feb 06, 2011
they should pay income tax, corporation tax as well as capital gains tax. most church annual turn over exceed that of companies limited by shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Atheists/humanists Have No Morals, Mr Anony? / Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. / Muslim Vs Christian Conversation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.