Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,234 members, 7,950,276 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 11:31 AM

I Was Battered For Daring To Contest – Acn Senatorial Candidate ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Was Battered For Daring To Contest – Acn Senatorial Candidate ! (580 Views)

Osita Chidoka Set To Emerge Pdp’s Anambra Central Senatorial Candidate / Osun PDP Senatorial Candidate, Others, Donate foodstuffs To Civil Servants / Imo APGA Senatorial Candidate, Barr. Mrs. Eudora Igwe, Is DEAD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Was Battered For Daring To Contest – Acn Senatorial Candidate ! by wales(m): 7:40am On Feb 04, 2011
Action Congress of Nigeria senatorial candidate for Kaduna Central, Hajia Halima Tijjani, in this interview with KEMI ASHEFON, explains her ordeal on Monday when hoodlums beat and seized her nomination forms on her way to the Independent National Electoral Commission headquarters. How did you emerge the Action Congress of Nigeria senatorial candidate for Kaduna Central Zone?

After the Congress for Progressive Change primaries were conducted, I defected because I discovered that it was not well conducted and I even wrote a petition to the Inspector-General of Police concerning this. By the time I joined ACN about a month and a half ago, there was no opposition from any quarter. I was the only candidate and no dissenting voices. I paid my fees, filled my form and submitted it to the state party chairman, who took it to Abuja. I was congratulated as the only woman vying for the senate in the zone.

Can you recall what happened on Sunday, January 30, 2011 in Abuja?

I came to Abuja concerning my Independent National Electoral Commission forms

But you said you had submitted in Kaduna?

Yes, I did. Already, I paid N10,000 and submitted the form to the state chairman, whose secretary collected it from me. Later, he requested that I retrieved it from his secretary and I did. I made sure that I enclosed all photocopies of credentials and other documents needed. Though the state chairman told me that he was travelling to Abuja to submit all forms, I was surprised to get a call on Sunday from the national screening committee that my form was missing from the file and the national chairman needed to see them. I called the state chairman and told him everything but he said it was false. He asked who gave me such information and assured me nothing was amiss. I would have believed him and stayed in Kaduna but the call came again that I should be in Abuja because the form was missing from the file and INEC’s deadline was Monday. That was 6.30pm. Unfortunately, my driver does not work on Sundays and I don’t drive at night. I came to Abuja by public transport and I was fortunate to see the national chairman for the first time and he asked after my form. I said I had submitted it to the state chairman. He said he was giving me another form but the problem was that all my documents had been removed from the file. I was surprised and asked who did that. The chairman said that did not matter, what mattered most was for me to re-fill the form with the documents enclosed. That was about after 10.00pm. The chairman then said he was leaving and asked if I had anywhere to sleep because it was getting late. I told him I was putting up with a friend at Wuye and he left after giving me the INEC form. I came down from the office; saw a taxi waiting outside and the driver asked, “madam, where are you going’? I said Wuye. ACN secretariat is in Zone 6, Abuja. He said my fare was N500 and I boarded but when we got to the road that leads to Wuye after Berger Junction, he drove ahead. Immediately, I told him that he had missed the turn and he said he have to drive to Area 1 roundabout to make a U-turn. I agreed and he drove to the roundabout, made a U-turn and when we got to the Wuye road, instead of making a turn, he missed it the second time! I asked what was happening and wondered if he was new in Abuja. He now made a stop in a dark area and asked for either my money or my life. He took my bag, started kicking me and pushed me out of the car. He kicked and kicked but I held on to the car. I said “Take whatever you want to take, I have my money, I have my jewellery but let me just have my documents. They are in the bag, please.” He now said, ‘ Sebi, you want to be a senator? Let me see how you will do that.” It dawned on me that something was amiss. I started shouting for help and two young boys came out and asked, ‘Mummy, what is it?” I said, “the taxi driver just made away with my bag.” These boys started kicking and beating me. I held on to one of them and pulled his shirt. After a while, some two men came in a vehicle and the boys ran away.

What about your bag?

The man made away with the bag which contained my passport, all my original certificates, my jewellery, my current voter card and everything that was valuable to me. I started crying but the men took me to the police station and some policemen went with me again to the spot, searched the area but could not get the men or the documents. I was taken back to the ACN office; I called the National Women leader, who was in Kaduna. She now called the national chairman, who later came and waited for me in the office. He saw my hands swollen, my face with blood all over and he took me to the hospital, where I spent two days. I have not found any of the documents yet.

What happened to your nomination form?

The national woman leader stood her ground that the slot should be given to me and nobody else because I was the first. Already my name has been submitted to INEC. I had to send people to the CPC office to take the photocopies because I had lost all the original certificates.

But are you not scared of the period of election, if this could happen to you during the primaries?

Not at all. This had made me stronger and I am not backing out. At this age, I don’t think anything would scare me again. I am 50. This is not their first time. I was told to step down for a particular man, who was a federal representative for eight years. When he could not make primaries in his party, he came to the CPC too and when he heard that I had been given the ticket in ACN, he came and wanted the seat I am vying for. They are joking because I am very determined than ever!

So, you think you would perform better than him?

Of course, that is why I am coming out. I am a mother, and I know what the youths are suffering in our zone, even the women and children.

Are you insinuating that the men are behind the attack?

There are three of them who want the seat but they were not at the primaries because I came in unopposed. They came later from CPC and kept bothering me to step down for a particular man.

Since you are eyeing the National Assembly, what is your view on the jumbo pay legislators are earning?

I have said it several times that the money is too much. It should be reviewed and cut down. Anybody ready to serve should not be interested in money but how to represent his/her people well. I am a widow with two boys who are graduates. Most of these lawmakers collect allowances and do nothing in their constituencies.

Many women are accused of sleeping around to get into offices or get godfathers who help them politically. Were you accused of such since you are a widow?

I have always been a hard-working woman, I do buying and selling. I later went into construction. I don’t believe in godfatherism and I hate asking anybody for money. I came out to help my people and I financed whatever I have done in politics. Whenever anybody asks me for money that is not needed during campaigns, I explain that I don’t have to buy their conscience.

What has been the role of the party officials concerning your plight?

I am proud of my national chairman, who paid my hospital bill. Even the national women leader has been so supportive and done everything possible for my nomination.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201102045522465

(1) (Reply)

Trouble Brews In Jonathan’s Camp ! / My Nigeria Mobile Are Scam! / Stampede In Ibadan Parents Storm Schools, Withdraw Pupils It’s Blackmail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.