Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,755 members, 7,875,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:56 AM

Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? (4959 Views)

How To Get An F In The University – Guide To Failing In A Nigerian University / Is It Possible To Become An A Grade Student From F Grade? / FUTO Supplementary Admission List Batch D And E Has Been Released (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 7:21am On Jul 13, 2020
I've had this arguments often times with different people and i believe getting an F is better than a D or an E but I still would like to know if I'm wrong.
These are my reasons:
1)When you fail a course your CGPA drops drastically grin,but you automatically are entitled to re-writing the course again the next year and you will have the opportunity of getting an A or B and this might boost your overall CGPA back since the A or B from the failed course will still carry the same points.But when you get an E or a D,your CGPA is permanently ruined,no opportunity of re-writing and doing better.
2)I have a friend who got 2 F's in our 100 level and had a bad CGPA,but after re-writing the two carry over courses in our 200 level,his CGPA became better than those of some other friends who scored D's in the same courses grin. The only problem was the stress of having extra courses and walking to and from the exam officer's office to submit the new grades and have him input it..
3)D and E,even C adds nothing to your CPA,they just subtract.So F subtracts,D subtracts, E subtracts,but F offers you the opportunity of trying again.
So what is your take?
Am I missing something here?
Apart from the stigma and stress that comes with an F,do you think it is better than a D or E (pass and go grin) ?

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by chatinent: 7:24am On Jul 13, 2020
If it's solely for boosting my GP, I would beg for an F rather than an E (clearly for a course I know it's no match for me or I was treated unjustly).
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Vyzz: 7:27am On Jul 13, 2020
I catch drill bro.....

But to me.... It is either A or A

Mama taught me to never settle for less

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 7:28am On Jul 13, 2020
chatinent:
If it's solely for boosting my GP, I would beg for an F rather than an E (clearly for a course I know it's no match for me or I was treated unjustly).
Exactly..
F is way better than an E or a D..
Those two grades are evil..
But lazy students see them as good grades. grin
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Openbusiness3: 7:29am On Jul 13, 2020
Yes based on this logic, F is better since it gives you the opportunity to recover. But mind you, you get to pay for the extra year. But the best one is W. Your grades won't be affected at all. And you can still resit the course later
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 7:29am On Jul 13, 2020
Vyzz:
I catch drill bro.....

But to me.... It is either A or A

Mama taught me to never settle for less
Hope she also taught you that at times you don't get to choose.. The less might decide to settle for you grin

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 7:30am On Jul 13, 2020
Openbusiness3:
Yes based on this logic, F is better since it gives you the opportunity to recover. But mind you, you get to pay for the extra year. But the best one is W. Your grades won't be affected at all. And you can still resit the course later
W
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by chatinent: 7:31am On Jul 13, 2020
FamousMonk:

Exactly..
F is way better than an E or a D..
Those two grades are evil..
But lazy students see them as good grades. grin
Most times, it's not about the 'lazy student' mantra we hear, many people had no strong primary and secondary foundation and believe me, it wasn't (most) their cause.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Openbusiness3: 7:32am On Jul 13, 2020
FamousMonk:

W
Yes, "W". Those that school outside Nigeria will understand grin
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Vyzz: 7:34am On Jul 13, 2020
FamousMonk:

Hope she also taught you that at times you don't get to choose..
The less might decide to settle for you grin

Nigga I love the way u been rhyming u know... grin

Now let's keep it one hundred....

Am a first born so I gotta set a good example for lil siblings out there...

Mehn I ain't doing shit to disgrace my family.... U know....

This us keeping it one hundred bro

And bro.... U gotta read my post like I am modafreaking Igwe Tupac

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by LordIsaac(m): 7:40am On Jul 13, 2020
You will appreciate D or E when you cannot graduate because of a course you scored F in. Wait till 400level second semester.

2 Likes

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 7:59am On Jul 13, 2020
LordIsaac:
You will appreciate D or E when you cannot graduate because of a course you scored F in. Wait till 400level second semester.
Sorry about the experience bro.
Hope you later graduated or did frustration make you drop out
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by christejames(m): 8:05am On Jul 13, 2020
Of course, this kind of F is far better than having leaders with F qualities ruling over you...

Abeg, how many days are left for this directionless govt to pack and go?
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Brandonx(m): 8:20am On Jul 13, 2020
You are probably in your 100 ,200 or 300 level there was a time I had a D then. I was so excited because it was a massive failure only 3 persons had a C, it would definitely have an adverse effect on the CGPA. But when you think about the stress coupled with your current total credits for the Section and the classes might be clashing with your current classes. Then you would know let my people go is better sometimes

But the best is to study very hard .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by LordIsaac(m): 8:57am On Jul 13, 2020
FamousMonk:

Sorry about the experience bro.
Hope you later graduated or did frustration make you drop out
Hahahaha... Who drops out after 400level?
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 13, 2020
A D or E grade supercedes an F anytime any day.

Reason; When you fail a course (F), you carry over the course to another session and you credit load increases. The effect of this increase keeps reducing your CGPA till you graduate.

Take for e.g., after your 100level, your total credit load =97. You failed a 3 unit course and this automatically becomes 100.

Credit load for 200level alone =95. Total credit load after 200level will be 192 for others while yours is 195.

Let's say after 200level, you earn a total point of 600. Your CGPA =600/195 which gives 3.08. This should have been 600/192= 3.12, if you haven't had any carry over.

3 Likes

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Barryseal: 10:32am On Jul 13, 2020
Ozmar:

Reason; When you fail a course (F), you carry over the course to another session and you credit load increases. The effect of this increase keeps reducing your CGPA till you graduate.

Take for e.g., after your 100level, your total credit load =97. You failed a 3 unit course and this automatically becomes 100.

Credit load for 200level alone =95. Total credit load after 200level will be 192 for others while yours is 195.

Let's say after 200level, you earn a total point of 600. Your CGPA =600/195 which gives 3.08. This should have been 600/192= 3.12, if you haven't had any carry over.
I was about to point this out before seeing your post. The credit load carries over to the next semester. You can only get away if you score an A in the carried over course. But that's not usually the case as we know, the course you failed will usually be a tough course to navigate, so chances of getting an A is very slim when repeating the same course with same lecturer.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 10:39am On Jul 13, 2020
Ozmar:

In the end it's still the same thing because all your points will be added and all your credit units(from 100 level to 400 level or 500 level) will be added too irrespective of the semester arrangement..
For every course,there's a total number of credit units you're supposed to offer and it doesn't really matter if you offer those courses disorderly,in the end,they'll all be added together and divided by your total points which is the same thing..
So I think you're just talking on the short term basis..
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by DontBullshitMe: 10:59am On Jul 13, 2020
Anyone that argues that an F grade is better than a D or an E grade clearly did not attend a Nigeria university.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 11:13am On Jul 13, 2020
DontBullshitMe:
Anyone that argues that an F grade is better than a D or an E grade clearly did not attend a Nigeria university.
Explain
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by potent5(m): 2:45pm On Jul 13, 2020
Because in some schools whatever grade you make from retaking a carry over will be divided into two while computing your GPA.
FamousMonk:
Explain
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Haywhymido(m): 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2020
kiss
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Maj196(m): 3:00pm On Jul 13, 2020
That grade E saved lives that time for school shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2020
FamousMonk:
I've had this arguments often times with different people and i believe getting an F is better than a D or an E but I still would like to know if I'm wrong.
These are my reasons:
1)When you fail a course your CGPA drops drastically grin,but you automatically are entitled to re-writing the course again the next year and you will have the opportunity of getting an A or B and this might boost your overall CGPA back since the A or B from the failed course will still carry the same points.But when you get an E or a D,your CGPA is permanently ruined,no opportunity of re-writing and doing better.
2)I have a friend who got 2 F's in our 100 level and had a bad CGPA,but after re-writing the two carry over courses in our 200 level,his CGPA became better than those of some other friends who scored D's in the same courses grin. The only problem was the stress of having extra courses and walking to and from the exam officer's office to submit the new grades and have him input it..
3)D and E,even C adds nothing to your CPA,they just subtract.So F subtracts,D subtracts, E subtracts,but F offers you the opportunity of trying again.
So what is your take?
Am I missing something here?
Apart from the stigma and stress that comes with an F,do you think it is better than a D or E (pass and go grin) ?

Let's see.
F first time= 0/5
A 2nd time= 5/5, average= 2.50/5.00. Which school be this?
In my school, F adds nothing to CGPA. A resit gives a maximum grade of C, i.e 3.00/5.00.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Mr2kul(m): 4:23pm On Jul 13, 2020
Ozmar:

LOL,, Really @OP.... F grade does not add anything to your result (CGPA). If you like carry over the course and get an A, it won't change anything rather it gives you more load just like what this Uncle pointed out.. It reduces your chances of getting high grade point that semester. D is better than F, except you don't know how CGPA is been calculated. PERIOD
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2020
Mr2kul:

LOL,, Really @OP.... F grade does not add anything to your result (CGPA). If you like carry over the course and get an A, it won't change anything rather it gives you more load just like what this Uncle pointed out.. It reduces your chances of getting high grade point that semester. D is better than F, except you don't know how CGPA is been calculated. PERIOD
"That semester"...
But all semesters will be added to get a final grade right?
So why would that particular semester be used as a yardstick to judge this?
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by frankosivue(m): 6:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
Squillaci:

Let's see.
F first time= 0/5
A 2nd time= 5/5, average= 2.50/5.00. Which school be this?
In my school, F adds nothing to CGPA. A resit gives a maximum grade of C, i.e 3.00/5.00.
And that's if you manage to hit A at second try.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 13, 2020
frankosivue:
And that's if you manage to hit A at second try.

All grades are from A to C are recorded as C.

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by frankosivue(m): 6:46pm On Jul 13, 2020
FamousMonk:

"That semester"...
But all semesters will be added to get a final grade right?
So why would that particular semester be used as a yardstick to judge this?
Because overall even if you manage to get A at second try it will be just as same as passing with D!
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by swagguElite(m): 7:35pm On Jul 13, 2020
Ozmar:

Nice one Ozmar.
You took your time to break it down. Splendid.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by edoairways: 7:40pm On Jul 13, 2020
Openbusiness3:
And how are you sure you would pass such course the second time or better still score high?
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by swagguElite(m): 7:41pm On Jul 13, 2020
frankosivue:
Because overall even if you manage to get A at second try it will be just as same as passing with D!
Lolz. No mind the yeye guy.
That's if the carryover exam doesn't clash with your current level paper. You think say na UK we dey. I wrote normal two(2) exams in a day when still in Uni steadily. Now imagine I carried over a course. How I wan read for three(3) papers in a day n get A on resit. Are we okay?? No wait, tell me Do we want to be okay??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Blue Whale: The Largest Animal On Earth. / Bayero University, Kano 2010/2011 Admission List Has Been Released / This Gay Teacher Wants To Sleep With His Pupil (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.