Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,811 members, 7,872,699 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:05 PM

ASUU, Unilag Has No Constitutionally Defined Standing - Prof. Nwabueze - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU, Unilag Has No Constitutionally Defined Standing - Prof. Nwabueze (194 Views)

ASUU: Unilag Senior Lecturer Shares Salary Alert (Picture) / ASUU-UNILAG Sanctions 240 Lectures For Enrolling On IPPIS (Full List) / Only UNILAG Has Full Accreditation For Law In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ASUU, Unilag Has No Constitutionally Defined Standing - Prof. Nwabueze by lagholden: 11:58am On Jul 15, 2020
A senior member of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) Unilag Branch and Professor of Sociology, Prof. Ndukaeze Nwabueze had responded to the threat of Dr. Dele Ashiru in the name of ASUU, Unilag Branch.

Prof. Nwabueze while addressing the press says, "ASUU, Unilag has no constitutionally defined standing in the misunderstanding between the Pro Chancellor and Chairman of Council and the Management of the University of Lagos

The full release of the Press Release attached.

PRESS RELEASE BY PROFESSOR NDUKAEZE NWABUEZE, PROFESSOR OF SOCIOLOGY AND MEMBER
OF ASUU (UNILAG) OVER THE CONFUSING CLOUDS OF CONFLICT GATHERING AT THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS

My attention has been drawn to misrepresentations in some sections of the Lagos press on the above subject and I want hereby to clarify some murky issues.

1. First, let me state unequivocally that I am not a ‘pro-Babalakin professor’ or pro any other party in the unfolding imbroglio at the University of Lagos. My concern is the soul and integrity of my Union, ASUU, Unilag, the active and unbroken membership of which I have kept since March 1983, or 37 years now. I therefore fell entitled to speak my mind when I see the strange practices, novel methods and procedures and embarrassing actions emanating from the once revered, hallowed and dignified Union. The matter at issue has so embarrassed the members to the point that the elders cannot keep quiet any longer and escape accusation of complicity.

2. ASUU, Unilag has no constitutionally defined standing in the misunderstanding between the Pro Chancellor and Chairman of Council and the Management of the University of Lagos. Our Union is neither PRO nor the ‘aluta’ wing of Management. The Union had neither declared a trade dispute against the Council of which Dr Wale Babalakin, SAN is the Chair. On the other hand, Management, to the best of my knowledge, has not declared inability to state its own side of the dispute if a conducive dispute settlement atmosphere was to be provided for that purpose. This is the path of honour which I would have supported my Union to play in these circumstances.

3. As I have made abundantly clear to my highly respected Chairman, where two parties are engaged in a fight, a responsible third person will not come in to take sides and conflagrate rather than douse the tension. I feel that by descending into the arena of conflict and supporting one side against the other, the Union is not only pouring petrol on a smouldering fire, it is fanning the embers of unending dispute. This is not in the interest of Council, Management, Members of ASUU, other Unions on campus, the entire staff, students, parents and guardians, the University community as a whole, our alumni, friends and the public in contact.

4. Our Union is behaving more like a misguided students’ union. It goes on the war path for the slightest provocation. Where is collective bargaining, dialogue, mediation, arbitration or even lobbying? Not too long ago, the Union embarked on its ‘struggle’ approach over a member’s case. That matter was settled to the happiness of all parties not towing the combative approach of the Union. This matter between the Council and Management shall be settled without any input by this Union. I can bet anybody this prediction. The consequence? Our Union is gradually sliding into functional irrelevance and, soon, our views will neither be sought nor matter anymore going forward.

5. May I appeal to Council and Management to think of the numerous interests that are suffering as a result of their disagreement, particularly our dear students, and drop ego- tripping and agree soonest to an amicable solution to the dispute. Do not forget that while you quarrel and rancour your period of appointment is fixed and, as a result, running out. Do you all want to go down in the history of Unilag as a regime that fought all their tenure away without positive achievements for which you will be remembered? At one and same time, I appeal to the warring parties to do away with the services of your hired gladiators and to the Men and Women of goodwill all over the country to intervene in this matter and let us win back the peace for which our University of First Choice and The Nation’s Pride is known and respected.

6. In case the Executive of the Union is unaware, our members are suffering. We have gargantuan challenges, that should bother and occupy them rather than executing ‘proxy wars’, issuing threats they have no means to enforce and leaving out the reasons for which we elected them into office. Let the Union re-channel its energies to the following, among others:
- Members are grumbling that while ASUU (National) prosecutes industry-wide causes (approvingly) our salary has been eaten hollow by inflation, tumbling exchange rate and non-inclusion of short periodic salary review as a priority. This can emanate from the branch to the national.
- Our participant share of programmes executed by our members is inequitable and uninspiring and should be negotiated upwards.
- For those of us who live in official quarters, when last did we have relevant University department carry out repair and maintenance services in the quarters? Is that treatment the same with the quarters occupied by the members of Management for which our Union is fighting?
- Retired members do not enjoy free basic health services and this is when they would need it most because by the natural course of advances in age they have more health problems and their take home pay has dwindled. Where is our Union?
- What about the injustice, favouritism and unfair practices in allocation of campus quarters. Is there any reason why staff complain and the Union looks the other way?
- When last did I hear that staff is granted house purchase, house renovation, or land purchase loan? Have you inquired why it could not be experimented from IGR?
- We teach very large classes without interactive boards and public address systems (PAS) and other impartation enhancers. Why not face this?
- COVID-19 has no doubt delivered heavy blows on our health care system, the national economy, individual and family livelihood and truncated old social interaction norms, but has unquestionably elevated some new norms. One of these is virtual and online lectures, issuance of assignments and grading, meetings, workshops and conferences. Why not engage the Management right now to make this a University-wide policy and articulate the financial, material and human resource training and development implications. Some universities in this country are already training their staff en masse. Engage the Management in these ways that can benefit the community as a whole, etc .
If we all eschew selfishness, narcissism, the me-myself-and-I spirit, we can all avoid these hiccups in the system. There is too much of the virus of ‘stomach infrastructure’ around here. Issued this Wednesday, 15 July, 2020

Signed: Professor Ndukaeze Nwabueze

(1) (Reply)

Did Anyone Here Apply For Covenant University AI Masters Scholarship? / AKSU 2020 Post UTME And Direct Entry Screening Form Is Out / Advice For Nigerian Students - Equip Yourself While You Can In Data Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.