Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,395 members, 7,947,664 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 06:21 AM

Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! (16727 Views)

When Should A Lady Move Out Of Her Parent's House?? / For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? / Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by pewekac: 11:08am On Feb 08, 2011
Like so many posters have said there's no definite time and at times staying back even after being gainfully employed helps you save up for a big break. Its like asking the question when should one start making babies?

Anyways in my case like that of many others it was 8 months after NYSC when I got a good job. Lost it 2 years later and moved back to strategize. Moved out again when the coast became clear. family will for ever be family; The only guys that will forever unconditionally have your back.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by djojo(m): 11:20am On Feb 08, 2011
I belief we all have different background and we tense to live our life the way we want, but is a very nice thing staying on ur own at tender age cos it will make u to see other side of life and and some challenges which u will overcome easily while u are on ur own but if u are with ur parent, u wont even think of moving forward cos they are doing things for u.
throughout my primary and secondary school days i stay with my parent but after two years i move out from my parent after getting a job which earn me 5,000 per month  to scout with somebody and i vow that am not going to eat his food, and i put myself in someone that never gt parent shoes, and hear i am today surviving. it make me to take decision on my own i got part time program, did my National diploma and now doing my degree. but if am still with my parent i wont be able to achieve that cos my parent will want me to get full time admission where as they will not provide me the need to achieve that.
wake up guy try to be urself do what u think will make u survive and not regret in future

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by tivta(m): 11:25am On Feb 08, 2011
NYSC dis, NYSC dat. If u like dont return home after NYSC even when u dont have a job. Nigerians think leaving independently is easy like leaving abroad. When u face d pains of life u will return like d prodigal son or daughter. LEAVE HOME ONLY WHEN YOU ARE FINANCIALY INDEPENDENT or u will return home like d dog that eats its vomit. Pride comes b4 a fall.

3 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by hayourmide(m): 11:37am On Feb 08, 2011
i was really inspired by words @ djojo i think you & i ve dsame thinking too bro. rite 4rm my child hoold i never luv stay with my parent though dem tins where nt easy stay alone bt i just decided 2 thro myself somewhere. After my school days i decided nt stay with my parent again & i want 2 stay with frds all over places where i find myself bt with glory of God 2day i was able 2 send myself 2 sckool i did my Diploma in one of university now trying 2 go 4 my B.sc. in dsame university 2 b specific we re all frds & we don't knw who is going 2 help us d name of sckool is Olabisi Onabanjo in Ogun State.

NB: pls i need a very gud Job rite now, frds pls help me out i stay around Lekki-Ajah area any work around V.I, Ikoyi, Lekki and lagos island i don't mind i will do.
Thanks and God bless u all.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Mobinga: 11:41am On Feb 08, 2011
tivta:

NYSC dis, NYSC dat. If u like dont return home after NYSC even when u dont have a job. Nigerians think leaving independently is easy like leaving abroad. When u face d pains of life u will return like d prodigal son or daughter. LEAVE HOME ONLY WHEN YOU ARE FINANCIALY INDEPENDENT or u will return home like d dog that eats its vomit. Pride comes b4 a fall.
grin grin
Leave 'em dem tink say Nigeria is UK/USA.

Silly people. grin

2 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Mobinga: 11:43am On Feb 08, 2011
grin

Its a bigger embarrassment to leave and come back. Leave only when you have a constant flow of income. Simple

2 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 08, 2011
tivta:

tivta:

tivta:

my guy thanx for ur post.u jst saved a soul,my brain be don dey tatatwin!
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by snthesis(m): 12:02pm On Feb 08, 2011
the perfect time should be between the limits of " when you can fend for your self and when u r about to get married" anything outside those limits is not ideal. cool
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by assme: 12:57pm On Feb 08, 2011
for those of us who want to move out after a steady income, that might work for you but as a man its often wise for to move out early so you can take responsibility for yourself and also face facts. its not easy but it always motivates you to work harder, it doesn't matter if you are financial stable or not or whether you've secured a job or not cos I tell you, if you stay in your father's house you will be lazy over some many important things or measures that you are supposed to take to move ahead but if you are out and you remember that you are responsible for your next meal; my dear, you will think and hustle harder. I moved out 2 weeks after NYSC with only 14,000naira nysc savings in my pocket without any hope for a job. I came to lag few yrs bck and was squatting with a friend in 1 room but today my hustle has paid and I have good job and live in a nice three bedroom apartment in a nice area. The bottom line is that "[b]for you succeed or move ahead in life, you must leave your comfort zone". [/b]you must sacrifice comfort to get comfortable. thats the law of give and get.

6 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Evagreenfields: 1:13pm On Feb 08, 2011
I hope am not derailing from the topic bt wat dju guys think about ladies (in 9igeria pls) moving outta their parents houses (not due to relocation or marriage)and is there any female in the house who has done it?
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Bawss1(m): 1:35pm On Feb 08, 2011
tivta:

Its not a matter of pride here. If you are determined to stand on your feet and you make the necessary effort you can achieve the goal of moving out of your mothers house. You may not start out by living in a luxury apartment though, where you move to will most likely be into an area to which you can afford. People who stay in their parents houses even when they are capable adults are doing themselves a huge disservice; the lessons in this life do not lie in the destination as they say but in the journey.

That said the only reason anyone should be in their mommy's house when they are fully grown is because they are broke; they should strive to move out as soon as possible because living like that is very shameful.  angry All this is coming from an individual who resides here in 9ja [and has done same] and not some americana. cool

Any aspect of culture that encourages one to stay in ones parents house even when they are fully grown should be frowned upon.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Bawss1(m): 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2011
Evagreenfields:

I hope am not derailing from the topic bt wat dju guys think about ladies (in 9igeria pls) moving outta their parents houses (not due to relocation or marriage)and is there any female in the house who has done it?

A touchy area as many parents will worry about the safety of their daughters but where safety is not an issue then I say let the girls move out too.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by johnjoel(m): 2:13pm On Feb 08, 2011
men that was not easy atooooo.i left my biological mum at of 9 stayin with my granny so after my ssce i was 19,i move to lagos to stay with aunty but little while stayin with her, she picked a quarell with me and i left her house so since then i have been livin all alone with friends

2 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by akbtunes: 2:15pm On Feb 08, 2011
snthesis:

the perfect time should be between the limits of " when you can fend for your self and when u r about to get married" anything outside those limits is not ideal. cool

that is it! cool
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by akbtunes: 2:20pm On Feb 08, 2011
assme:

for those of us who want to move out after a steady income, that might work for you but as a man its often wise for to move out early so you can take responsibility for yourself and also face facts. its not easy but it always motivates you to work harder, it doesn't matter if you are financial stable or not or whether you've secured a job or not cos I tell you, [s]if you stay in your father's house you will be lazy over some many important things[/s] or measures that you are supposed to take to move ahead but if you are out and you remember that you are responsible for your next meal; my dear, you will think and hustle harder. I moved out 2 weeks after NYSC with only 14,000naira nysc savings in my pocket without any hope for a job. I came to lag few yrs bck and was squatting with a friend in 1 room but today my hustle has paid and I have good job and live in a nice three bedroom apartment in a nice area. The bottom line is that "[b]for you succeed or move ahead in life, you must leave your comfort zone". [/b]you must sacrifice comfort to get comfortable. thats the law of give and get.

well enunciated, except for those struck out cool
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by assme: 2:39pm On Feb 08, 2011
oga Akbtunes,

abeg 4gv me for the typographical errors, I no write English for WAEC.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by lekyar(m): 4:19pm On Feb 08, 2011
Evagreenfields:

A lady moving out on their own mostly leave the Parents with a lot of foreboding. I believe a lady should move out only when ready for marriage. Just my opinion.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Mobinga: 4:24pm On Feb 08, 2011
marry marry, na force? angry

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2011
some people sef! Moving out means when you stop getting any form of support financially from your folks. I hear all of you saying "I moved into boarding skl dis, university that", na your money u take pay skl fees? Na you dey feed yourself back then? You go to skool and refuse to go back home but at the same time your folks send money to you and here you are yapping about moving out early, msschew! Make i hear word joo!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by lekyar(m): 4:31pm On Feb 08, 2011
Mobinga:

marry marry, na force? angry

You know dats the 9ja way. Only way to respect a lady. Just my observation,
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by chamber2(m): 5:40pm On Feb 08, 2011
I am the 8th child in a nuclear family of 9.I moved out of my family house at 11,stayed with an uncle till 15,lived in the school till 17,traveled to Lagos on my own at 18,lived with a friend till 20,moved to the university at 21,did nysc at 26,traveled abroad for my masters at 26 and am still on my own till date. I still don't know the kind of family i found myself.Nobody seems to care about the other person.Could you imagine,i have been away for the past months and yet nobody knows where i am and no one bothers to know either and my parents are still alive.There is no quarrels in the house,if my parents see you they will thank God,if they don't they will assume are are fine wherever you may be.

The only family i have is God

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Bawss1(m): 5:43pm On Feb 08, 2011
mekula:

some people sef! Moving out means when you stop getting any form of support financially from your folks. I hear all of you saying "I moved into boarding skl dis, university that", na your money u take pay skl fees? Na you dey feed yourself back then? You go to skool and refuse to go back home but at the same time your folks send money to you and here you are yapping about moving out early, msschew! Make i hear word joo!

OK stay at home till you are 45 cheesy

Realize that some people started fending for themselves early on and they are proud of the experience. cool cool
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 08, 2011
@ Jennykadry: Sienna and my Deltan Princess are doing great. Hope all's well with you. smiley
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Superbrain(m): 9:25pm On Feb 08, 2011
chamber2:

I am the 8th child in a nuclear family of 9.I moved out of my family house at 11,stayed with an uncle till 15,lived in the school till 17,traveled to Lagos on my own at 18,lived with a friend till 20,moved to the university at 21,did nysc at 26,traveled abroad for my masters at 26 and am still on my own till date. I still don't know the kind of family i found myself.Nobody seems to care about the other person.Could you imagine,i have been away for the past months and yet nobody knows where i am and no one bothers to know either and my parents are still alive.There is no quarrels in the house,if my parents see you they will thank God,if they don't they will assume are are fine wherever you may be.

Eh ya. God dey!

@ house, the responses have been insightful. I think it all boils down to financial stability in the long run.
Evagreenfields:

Yeah my sister did it immediately after NYSC and all hell was let loose. It's four years now and she has been able to survive the ordeal. I remember she experienced some challenges initially (having a roomie and all that) but now she's a "bigz gurlz" planning to get married in September and I'm sure the dude knows her worth- grin grin grin ($$$)
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by DeepSoul(f): 10:06pm On Feb 08, 2011
@OP

Firstly, I think the issue of gender has to be raised.

If you are a man, ideally, you shouldnt come back home after NYSC.

But I think it's a bit different for women. In our society, regardless of how successul a woman is, she is expected to remain in her father's house till she gets married.

I cannot imagine living in the same town with my parents and renting a house. shocked Na who born me?? grin

9ja being what it is, when an unmarried woman decides to live alone, she is termed "loose"

The only solution is to get a job in a totally different city and have a LEGAL and VALID reason to live alone.

I'm 23 and I live on my own. I had to switch towns for this to be possible. And despite the fact that I am earning a living and not just faffing around, I still hear crap like "Abuja is not a place where single women should live. Any woman thinkin of gettin married in the future should not live alone in Abuja" Very very shallow minded people we have sha.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Evagreenfields: 10:39pm On Feb 08, 2011
Bawss1:

A touchy area as many parents will worry about the safety of their daughters but where safety is not an issue then I say let the girls move out too.
ok. So in essence ur saying u ll let ur gal child move out of ur house to say on her own even though her place of work is pretty close by.
Superbrain:

Yeah my sister did it immediately after NYSC and all hell was let loose. It's four years now and she has been able to survive the ordeal. I remember she experienced some challenges initially (having a roomie and all that) but now she's a "bigz gurlz" planning to get married in September and I'm sure the dude knows her worth- grin grin grin ($$$)
happy for her.pls relay ma congrats.good it turned out well for her.av said it joking @ home that am gonna move out nxt year after ma nysc and ma parents so didnt find it funny.i tink in diz part of the world, u get very funny looks from pipz generally when
a lady stays on her own and her parents are so nearby
@lekyer thanx for ur contribution
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Evagreenfields: 11:16pm On Feb 08, 2011
Superbrain:

happy for her.pls relay ma congrats.good it turned out well for her.av said it joking @ home that am gonna move out nxt year after ma nysc and ma parents so didnt find it funny.i tink in diz part of the world, u get very funny looks from pipz generally when
a lady stays on her own and her parents are so nearby
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by iice(f): 3:04am On Feb 09, 2011
Evagreenfields:

I did. I started in high school.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 5:02am On Feb 09, 2011
well, for ladies, make dem no open eye too much sha.

besides, it could be rather dangerous.

anyway, it's not a must that people [whether boys or girls] should move out completely after graduation.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Ranoscky(m): 9:22am On Feb 09, 2011
When you'r financially fit.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Evagreenfields: 9:26am On Feb 09, 2011
iice:

I did. I started in high school.
u r not in Nigeria, are u?

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by favouredjb(f): 9:56am On Feb 09, 2011
chamber2:

i feel you,thank Godddddddddddddd u av God,
i have a neighbour like that too,when he went for service up north,none of his family members cared to call,he doesnt call them too,and he told me thats the way it is in there house,they just dont care for one another

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. / Nigerian Men Dont Know How To Be Men!! / She Wants A Maid I Don't Like

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.