Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,414 members, 7,901,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 02:30 AM

Andre Schurrle: Former Chelsea Forward And World Cup Winner Retires At 29 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Andre Schurrle: Former Chelsea Forward And World Cup Winner Retires At 29 (503 Views)

Andre Gomes Injured, Leg Breaks, Players Devastated (Photos) / Serena Williams Retires At Rogers Cup Finals Due To Injury, Cries Bitterly / Peter Crouch Retires At 38 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Andre Schurrle: Former Chelsea Forward And World Cup Winner Retires At 29 by Great100000: 3:17pm On Jul 17, 2020
Andre Schurrle has announced his retirement from football at the age of 29, admitting the "depths became deeper and the highlights less and less" during his career.
The former Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund forward had cancelled the remainder of his contract with the Bundesliga side earlier in the week.
Schurrle spent last season on loan in Russia with Spartak Moscow having enjoyed a similar stint with Fulham in the previous campaign.

However, after an 11-year career in which he won the Premier League at Stamford Bridge, as well as the German Cup with both Dortmund and Wolfsburg and the World Cup in 2014, Schurrle has decided to bow out of the professional game.

"The decision has matured in me for a long time," he said in an interview with German newspaper Der Spiegel.

"I no longer need the applause. The depths became deeper and the highlights less and less.
"You always have to play a certain role in order to survive in the business otherwise you will lose your job and will not get a new one. Only performance on the pitch counts."

Schurrle had spells at Mainz and Leverkusen before moving to Chelsea where he received a Premier League winner's medal despite joining Wolfsburg in the January transfer window in 2015 after 18 months in London.
He scored twice in Germany's famous 7-1 World Cup semi-final win over hosts Brazil in 2014 before providing the assist for Mario Gotze's winner in the final against Argentina.
"I want to let you know that I'm stepping away from playing professional football," he said on Instagram.

"On behalf of myself and my family I want to thank everybody who was a part of these phenomenal years! The support and love you shared with me was unbelievable and more I could have ever asked for!

"Now I'm ready and open for all the beautiful possibilities that are coming towards me."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12030613/andre-schurrle-former-chelsea-forward-and-world-cup-winner-retires-at-29

Re: Andre Schurrle: Former Chelsea Forward And World Cup Winner Retires At 29 by realmanarken(m): 4:11pm On Jul 17, 2020
Woo
Re: Andre Schurrle: Former Chelsea Forward And World Cup Winner Retires At 29 by Nwachacho: 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2020
That moment in life when you can sacrifice anything for peace of mind

1 Like

Re: Andre Schurrle: Former Chelsea Forward And World Cup Winner Retires At 29 by iyobosadavid: 5:50pm On Jul 17, 2020
Thumbs up bro, this is a real display of "no go dey do pass your self"

(1) (Reply)

Eid Kabir Is Around The Corner And All Members Need Money, I Have Decided To Giv / Marcelo Bielsa Emerges Messi's Choice For Setien Replacement / My Friends Think Am Weird Because I Don't Like Watching Football.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.