Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,420 members, 7,881,546 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:24 PM

ACN Lied On Alliance Talks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ACN Lied On Alliance Talks (731 Views)

Evidence Magu, EFCC Chairman Lied On ‘No Petition Against APC Members-Thewhistle / ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Kobojunkie: 2:22am On Feb 06, 2011
[size=14pt]‘ACN lied on alliance talks’[/size]
By Festus Owete
February 4, 2011 07:12AM

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=M2pTTgf9WwDvmBd4SDZy1i6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxQGCtwgfcez8Poo13YP_uCAnW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]

The national leadership of the Congress for Progressive Party, yesterday described as untrue the reasons given by the national chairman of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Bisi Akande for the failure of the eight-month old alliance talks between the two parties.

According to the party’s spokesman, Rotimi Fashakin who accused Mr Akande of being economical with the truth, the two parties could not go ahead with the talks for two major reasons, namely the choice of a vice presidential candidate for the joint ticket and the platform on which to contest the poll.

Tinubu’s gripe

Although he admitted that the parties settled for the CPC presidential candidate, Muhammadu Buhari to fly the presidential flag, he alleged that the insistence of a former Lagos State governor and ACN chieftain, Bola Tinubu to be Mr Buhari’s running mate was consistently rejected by the CPC negotiation team, which viewed it as political miscalculation.

He also said that once Mr Tinubu, who reportedly has a firm grip on ACN, could not have his way, the alliance talks began to have problems. [/b]He said that Mr Buhari was very careful of the kind of leadership the ACN has because of his experience in the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) where he was the presidential candidate twice.

[b]“This issue did not merit debating for two long. Simply put, the major grouse was the vice presidential candidate, who to run with Buhari. Buhari was totally averse to Buhari/Tinubu ticket, which did not go down well with the ACN leadership,” Mr Fasahakin told NEXT in an interview.

[size=13pt]“The reason for being averse to that ticket is not because of anything against Tinubu as a person, but because Muslim-Muslim ticket cannot fly in today’s Nigeria. If it did in 1993, owing to many socio-political challenges we had between 1993 and now, any party touting a Muslim-Muslim ticket does so to its own peril.

“More so, that Buhari had been deviously and capriciously tagged an Islamic Fundamentalist, it will be playing into the hands of the opposition to be favourable disposed to such an arrangement. It is very unfair, therefore, for our compatriots in ACN to be this economical with the truth. We all know that Buhari is one Nigerian that will never renege on any agreement.” He said.[/size]

On the issue of the platform which the candidates should use, the CPC spokesman explained that Mr Buhari turned down the request by the ACN to use its platform because of his experience in ANPP.

[size=13pt]He stated that the former military leader was betrayed by the ANPP leadership, adding that since Mr Tinubu has a lot of influence in ACN, he could turn against him at a critical period.

“For a Buhari who came from ANPP where there was a great deal of back stabbing just because the party machinery was in the hands of a cabal to now be offered the platform of another party, was viewed with a great deal of trepidation and apprehension.

“Nobody can doubt the fact that the ACN was in the grip of Tinubu. He does whatever he wants with it. It will be too dangerous for Buhari to leave the CPC he and others founded to contest on the platform of ACN,” he said.[/size]

Mr Fasahkin explained that the CPC was already gaining ground in the country, particularly in the northern part, adding that it would be irresponsible to change to another platform since its faithful would find it difficult to adjust to the change.

The CPC spokesman defended the choice of a Lagos-based pastor, Tunde Bakare as Mr Buhari’s running mate, describing it as “a masterstroke.” Debunking claims that both candidates are difficult people who might find it difficult to work together, Mr Fasahakin said they will win the April 9 poll if it is transparent.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5672346-146/acn_lied_on_alliance_talks_.csp
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by seanet02: 3:47am On Feb 06, 2011
This hausa people sha! Somebody make a concession of sacrifising its own Presidential candidate to you yet you want to select the Vice President. Always feeling as numero one
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Kobojunkie: 4:48am On Feb 06, 2011
Reading comprehension ooo!!!
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by hannie: 5:13am On Feb 06, 2011
^ mind checking out ur signature for mistake/s ? grin

@Topic

Stewpid article . . .

author cant even spell right 'FASHAKIN' to save his life grin
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Kobojunkie: 5:18am On Feb 06, 2011
Yes, never mind the 'CONTENT OF THE ARTICLE', just argue endlessly on the spelling of a non-ENGLISH name!!!
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by hannie: 5:58am On Feb 06, 2011
^ like seriously u think I will take the article any serious ? even a 5yr old kid knows talks of alliance, mergers and even convenience of purpose arrangements are bound to have along with it egoistic backlashes . . .whats the big deal ?

even at that the article is not entirely true . . . tongue ACN itself is poised to pick Ribadu ahead of Buhari whilst hoping they can still work together some way somehow, the issue of religion is even secondary to all that has been discussed. The initial issue is who gets to be the Presidential candidate, next is the VP slot, of which what most of u cats dont know is that Tinubu KNOWS he cant be the VP, I wonder why u all cant get the simple prognostications of power bargainings behind the scenes and allowed some uneducated journalist pull wool over ur eyes tongue

FASAHAKIN indeed grin grin

foolish journalists grin
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Kobojunkie: 6:10am On Feb 06, 2011
hannie:

^ like seriously u think I will take the article any serious ? even a 5yr old kid knows talks of alliance, mergers and even convenience of purpose arrangements are bound to have along with it egoistic backlashes . . .whats the big deal ?
Uumm . . . the big deal is the deal fell threw after months. I think it is rational to want to know why.

hannie:

even at that the article is not entirely true . . . tongue ACN itself is poised to pick Ribadu ahead of Buhari whilst hoping they can still work together some way somehow, the issue of religion is even secondary to all that has been discussed. The initial issue is who gets to be the Presidential candidate, next is the VP slot, of which what most of u cats dont know is that Tinubu KNOWS he cant be the VP, I wonder why u all cant get the simple prognostications of power bargainings behind the scenes and allowed some uneducated journalist pull wool over your eyes  tongue

In essence, you have been living under a rock somewhere and not been following the news yourself, have you? I am sorry but what you have above does not seem to line up with what we know so far of what has possibly been going on. I am sorry but I would rather take the word of journalists from the various news houses who have reported over and over on this merger, than that of an internet poster, who himself does not seem interested in the content of the report but is more willing to cast aspersions simply cause he can, and possibly offering nothing more than a biased opinion on the issue.

hannie:

FASAHAKIN indeed  grin  grin

foolish journalists  grin
Anyways, na wa oo!!
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by hannie: 6:38am On Feb 06, 2011
u lot are follish not to see what the wise see . .

Tinubu is just using his bargaining power, whether it will work for him is a differesnt thing entirely . . .u can sit ur arse out wherever u are and post jargon, but ask any top dawg around u asstwat when DR KITAUN talks about ACN, its because he is an INSIDER . . .wonder why ur[b] thick[/b] is so skull (other way round grin)

Tinubu has already achieved what he really wants to - get his wife into the Senate, position himself all over SW and is just trying to throw his weight around the country at large, he knows in his minds of minds he cant be named VP to Buhari considering Ribadu wasnt pawned into the race . . .how do I make u cats understand these things ? Tinubu is a strategist, most people dont know he is a wicked schemer that plays politics of distraction . . .why do I bother sef undecided

Tinubu's end might be disastrous but for now, he is on top of his game, am not happy about it but OBJ starving him of Lagos funds then empowered him to be who he is now cry

From a FB friend's page . . .

[1] Did the ACN accept Buhari as the presidential candidate?

[2] Who was it they wanted as vice president?

[3] Was the ACN proposing a Buhari/Ribadu ticket?

[4] Did the CPC accept the proposal of a joint ticket?

[5] Did the CPC tell the ACN to come up with another candidate?

[6] Did they ever discuss the prospect of ACN running mates from the three geo-political zones in the south?

[7] Did the CPC really want both the president and VP in the alliance?

[8] Was the CPC willing to discuss a Ribadu presidency with a CPC running mate?
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Kobojunkie: 6:48am On Feb 06, 2011
Again . . . .

Kobojunkie:

I am sorry but I would rather take the word of journalists from the various news houses who have reported over and over on this merger, than that of an internet poster, who himself does not seem interested in the content of the report but is more willing to cast aspersions simply cause he can, and possibly offering nothing more than a biased opinion on the issue.
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Nobody: 7:04am On Feb 06, 2011
What have they lied about. . . .again? ♦

And can you plz remove the man's picture? I was kinda eating when I saw it!
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 06, 2011
This thread is one the reasons why I have issues with PDP-filled-ACN. . . . Fayemi needs to be careful with the snakes he hunts with.
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by hannie: 7:38am On Feb 06, 2011
^ Fayemi is same of the same my dear . . .

when he contestedfor the AC ticket, did he win the primaries ?

sweetheart, u miss me not ?  undecided

and pls tell ur friend Kobojunk that she/he needs to get a life!

who be internet poster ? rubbish!
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 06, 2011
hannie:

^ Fayemi is same of the same my dear . . .

when he contestedfor the AC ticket, did he win the primaries ?

sweetheart, u miss me not ?  undecided

and pls tell your friend Kobojunk that she/he needs to get a life!

who be internet poster ? rubbish!

First of all, who is this?
Ikeji, dont start disrespecting women in my presence.

And which primary did Fayemi not win? How has Fayemi shown to be like the rest of them?
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by hannie: 7:51am On Feb 06, 2011
^ I wonder how people turn from being brilliant to being DULL in little time . . .omaseo grin

FYI, Fayemi was 3rd in the primaries of AC conducted then, for some reasons or the other he emerged thru our normal abracadabra . . .gerrit ?

make me no yab women ? ur private part dey show for www ni ? or how I go know say na Dame Patience dey post because she has an 'F' attached to her profile ? tongue

tell her to check her siggy again abeg . . . grin
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 06, 2011
hannie:

^ I wonder how people turn from being brilliant to being DULL in little time . . .omaseo  grin

FYI, Fayemi was 3rd in the primaries of AC conducted then, for some reasons or the other he emerged thru our normal abracadabra . . .gerrit ?

make me no yab women ? your private part dey show for www ni ? or how I go know say na Dame Patience dey post because she has an 'F' attached to her profile ?  tongue

tell her to check her siggy again abeg . . . grin

No, I dont gerrit  O se fun e na  grin

Since she has a "F" by her ID, then she's a woman. That covered, could you back up your statement about Fayemi with a source?  undecided
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Kobojunkie: 8:00am On Feb 06, 2011
Although he admitted that the parties settled for the CPC presidential candidate, Muhammadu Buhari to fly the presidential flag, he alleged that the insistence of a former Lagos State governor and ACN chieftain, Bola Tinubu to be Mr Buhari’s running mate was consistently rejected by the CPC negotiation team, which viewed it as political miscalculation.

He also said that once Mr Tinubu, who reportedly has a firm grip on ACN, could not have his way, the alliance talks began to have problems. [/b]He said that Mr Buhari was very careful of the kind of leadership the ACN has because of his experience in the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) where he was the presidential candidate twice.

[b]“This issue did not merit debating for two long. Simply put, the major grouse was the vice presidential candidate, who to run with Buhari. Buhari was totally averse to Buhari/Tinubu ticket, which did not go down well with the ACN leadership,” Mr Fasahakin told NEXT in an interview.
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Kobojunkie: 8:02am On Feb 06, 2011
[size=14pt]Buhari to ACN: we can still unite[/size]

[size=13pt]Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) presidential candidate Gen. Muhammadu Buhari yesterday raised the hope that the failed alliance with the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) could still be revived.

He rejected ACN National Chairman Bisi Akande’s claim that the proposed alliance between the two parties collapsed because of CPC’s indisposition to the idea.

The General said in a statement by his spokesman Yinka Odumakin that opposition leaders should demonstrate maturity and circumspection at this critical time when all hands must be on deck to sack the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from power.

Gen. Buhari said that "it is counter-productive to engage in a media war when there is still the possibility of working together in the unpredictable political season that we are entering".

He said instead of going into details of the difficulties of forging the collaboration before the close of nominations, he would intensify efforts in building bridges rather than cutting them.

Gen. Buhari described CPC and AC N as "the most ideologically compatible", adding that they have the responsibility of providing leadership in the political space to give alternative to the people of Nigeria.

[b]"There are difficulties in time and circumstance, which make it difficult for the collaboration to come through immediately, but we still believe that given our mutual commitment to democracy and reconstruction of the economy, there is no option to removing the obstacles and working together," he added.

The CPC leader reiterated his faith in the inevitability of the two parties working together and coalescing their electoral opportunities to create a political force that will lead to the birth of a new political regime.

He said: "We, therefore, believe that this is not time for saber-rattling and blame game, as such may be a backhand service for those who want to keep Nigerians in perpetual servitude. It is more profitable to remain positive and keep the communications channels open as we focus on the bigger picture."

He called on the leaders of both parties to continue to dialogue and rededicate to their objective of working together as the vanguard of national opposition in Nigeria.

"This time calls for nothing short of working assiduously towards a national rebirth. Our people are suffering and dying of hardship in the midst of plenty; a vast majority of them are not sure of whether they would get the next meal. Political leaders, who are not part of the rot, must be evolving ways of getting them out of this hopelessness[/b].
[/size]

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/26902.html
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by hannie: 8:16am On Feb 06, 2011
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !

In a thread u tell why ACN must be crucified for its greed in enforcing its candidates in a merger/alliance . . .in the same thread u post something that indicates the fact that ITS NOT OVER YET for the parties . . .U NEED TO SEE UR SHRINK !

BTW, do u know who Yinka Odumakin, the spokesman for Buhari is ? undecided

these people sha . . .na internet tigers dem just be grin grin
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by fstranger6: 11:21am On Feb 06, 2011
hannie:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !

In a thread u tell why ACN must be crucified for its greed in enforcing its candidates in a merger/alliance . . .in the same thread u post something that indicates the fact that ITS NOT OVER YET for the parties . . .U NEED TO SEE your SHRINK !

BTW, do u know who Yinka Odumakin, the spokesman for Buhari is ? undecided

these people sha . . .na internet tigers dem just be grin grin

What do you mean?
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by juman(m): 1:10pm On Feb 06, 2011

“Nobody can doubt the fact that the ACN was in the grip of Tinubu. He does whatever he wants with it. It will be too dangerous for Buhari to leave the CPC he and others founded to contest on the platform of ACN,” he said.

Mr Fasahkin explained that the CPC was already gaining ground in the country, particularly in the northern part, adding that it would be irresponsible to change to another platform since its faithful would find it difficult to adjust to the change.

ACN wanted the two parties to come together and General Buhari to run on that platform. But General Buhari insisted to run on the platform of CPC.

Even it was stated that most of the ACN governors insisted that the party should not make the mistake made by AD (alliance for democracy) in 2003 by not presenting any presidential candidate and lost 5 states to PDP.  Hence ACN didn't agree with General Buhari to run on the platform of CPC only unless the two parties come together. But he refused.

ACN had presidential candidate in 2007 election and won 2 more states (Osun and Ekiti).
Re: ACN Lied On Alliance Talks by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Feb 06, 2011
^^^ I don't believe that is at all what happened, not according to the many versions of the story out there to date. It seems the "Tinubu as VP" angle is a credible angle to what happened considering many newspapers have carried that story so far( I add this part since you seem to think Tribune is after you or something).

(1) (Reply)

Gov Theodore Orji Storms Out Of Guber Debate / When Jonathan Dismantled Ethnic Boundaries In Lagos / Do-or-die Mentality: Obasanjo Rattles Opposition !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.