Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,243 members, 7,947,200 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 02:22 PM

543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) (25619 Views)

566 New COVID-19 Cases, 395 Discharged And 8 Deaths On June 29 - (1953 Tested) / 501 New COVID-19 Cases, 210 Discharged And 8 Deaths On June 13 -(2460 Tested) / 284 New COVID-19 Cases, 106 Discharged And 8 Deaths On May 20 - (1812 Tested) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 1:51pm On Jul 23, 2020
This covid will not stop my 1$ move o
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by skyfather09(m): 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2020
kozmokaz:
It is real guys ... don’t play with this

My dad is gone embarassed cry cry

Modified:

Today makes it exactly 1week

For those saying it’s scam

Pray you wake up to reality.. I was once like you .had same mentality.

Well he was 67

Previous health issue : Diabetes

Was with him that Thursday morning

We spoke , he only complained of general body pain and hotness of the chest only to pass on less than 10 mins later cry

Yes I rushed him to the hospital only for the doctor to confirm him dead

Been on isolation with mom and kid sis since then

And I try to maintain distance and wear a mask each time I go out
I believe ya bro... my uncle died as well yesterday sef.

1 Like

Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by michaelponle(m): 2:51pm On Jul 23, 2020
Who noticed the range is btw 500-600 daily.
Irrespective of the number of test.
Even 21k tests had same range, 2k tests same range.
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by FlyingTOMATOE: 3:03pm On Jul 23, 2020
E be like say naa everybody get this thing for Nigeria
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by FredasMumAndI: 3:08pm On Jul 23, 2020
Please stay safe, Order this immune supplement if you or someone you know has been exposed to covid-19.
You can whatsapp 09075000459 to chat.
See link to order below.
https://flutterwave.com/store/fredasliquidhealth

Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by Investnow2017: 3:22pm On Jul 23, 2020
SirWarLock,
It would seem to me that NCDC is just routinely collecting samples, test within their very limited capacity and, report. The figures work within a certain range as you must have noticed. So much of the results are likely of samples collected days if not weeks ago, and therefore do not reflect the trend in daily occurrences with the aim to rapidly checkmate spread or administer necessary treatment.
How many of these cases are ACTUALLY hosted in the isolation centres? How many fall within the moderate to severe category? What is the update on spread pattern? What is the plan should the cases continue to surge? It is ironic that while the figures are climbing, the system is increasingly relaxing and becoming routine. Nigeria's statistics remain a lie, and would work havoc if it is ever to be relied upon for any meaningful projection. Sad. The scanty reportage will quickly convince any keen observer.
To the other continents, however, have you noticed that Romanian, Israel, Bolivia, Phillipines are tallying increasing figure? Is this a second wave or what? It would seem the curve reverses once it peaks and begins a new geometric climb.
More worrisome apart from the quagmiring figures is the rising fatality, from Mexico to the US, from Brazil to Indonesia, from South Africa to Colombia. What seems to have shown a predictable pattern is the subdued mortality figures coming from Europe. I think Europe got a better handle at handling this pandemic, apart from a few countries within it especially Sweden that adopted an ancient method which has been betrayed going by their horrifying experience in the number of fatalities so far recorded.
The last has not been heard on this Coronavirus crisis - meanwhile China today is heading to explore Mars - silly really cheesy

Cc: Martineverest, omohayek - I always find your contributions insightful. Wish you could share your perspective on this crisis. Where is the world headed? Regards
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by martineverest(m): 3:39pm On Jul 23, 2020
Investnow2017:
SirWarLock,
It would seem to me that NCDC is just routinely collecting samples, test within their very limited capacity and, report. The figures work within a certain range as you must have noticed. So much of the results are likely of samples collected days if not weeks ago, and therefore do not reflect the trend in daily occurrences with the aim to rapidly checkmate spread or administer necessary treatment.
How many of these cases are ACTUALLY hosted in the isolation centres? How many fall within the moderate to severe category? What is the update on spread pattern? What is the plan should the cases continue to surge? It is ironic that while the figures are climbing, the system is increasingly relaxing and becoming routine. Nigeria's statistics remain a lie, and would work havoc if it is ever to be relied upon for any meaningful projection. Sad. The scanty reportage will quickly convince any keen observer.
To the other continents, however, have you noticed that Romanian, Israel, Bolivia, Phillipines are tallying increasing figure? Is this a second wave or what? It would seem the curve reverses once it peaks and begins a new geometric climb.
More worrisome apart from the quagmiring figures is the rising fatality, from Mexico to the US, from Brazil to Indonesia, from South Africa to Colombia. What seems to have shown a predictable pattern is the subdued mortality figures coming from Europe. I think Europe got a better handle at handling this pandemic, apart from a few countries within it especially Sweden that adopted an ancient method which has been betrayed going by their horrifying experience in the number of fatalities so far recorded.
The last has not been heard on this Coronavirus crisis - meanwhile China today is heading to explore Mars - silly really cheesy

Cc: Martineverest, omohayek - I always find your contributions insightful. Wish you could share your perspective on this crisis. Where is the world headed? Regards
first of all, covid 19 will remain until a vaccine is discovered.....I believe NCDC is one of the most incompetent disease control organisations in the world.their figures are mere guesstimate and doesn't actually reflect the actual viral cases in Nigeria.i really don't only blame them for that,nigetians' mentality towards corona is the biggest problem.....that said NCDC is under reporting the cases and non-chalant about the virus like fellow Nigerians because most Nigerians are asymptomatic patients.

I feel the reason why Naija and Africa casualties is minimal is because our systems are used to the symptoms of coronavirus,as they are similar to that of malaria and typhoid.......I noticed that malaria-stricken regions of the world got the least casualties
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by delpee(f): 4:35pm On Jul 23, 2020
kozmokaz:

Modified:

Well he was 67

We spoke , he only complained of general body pain and hotness of the chest only to pass on less than 10 mins later cry

Condolences to you and the family. May God comfort and uphold you all.

Unfortunately it hits those with underlying illnesses much harder. Please stay safe and strong. All will be well.

1 Like

Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by earnit1: 4:44pm On Jul 23, 2020
really
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by mechanics(m): 5:06pm On Jul 23, 2020
It's well with Lagos state.
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by Hongkongfukid(m): 6:28pm On Jul 23, 2020
ko ni da fun yin
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by SirWarlock: 6:39pm On Jul 23, 2020
Investnow2017:
SirWarLock,

How we're still clueless about combating covid is a thing to laugh about grin. I just listened to their useless press briefing today and they're still talking about scaling up testing grin angry. Hate to side with them but NCDC might as well start haphazard reporting grin. You notice how lax things have become? And funny enough our health bodies aren't saying anything sad. As far as Nigeria is concerned, it is what it is sad. I don't really go through their situation reports, not until their nonsense data has more meat sad.

To be honest concerning global figures, the only hope out there is a working prophylaxis ie a vaccine or the world gangs up to reduce testing and reporting. Let's not forget the strain of testing itself. I doubt some countries ever come out of this. Some countries are low-key going the Sweden route. Allowing transmission among the 'easy to transmit' group whilst recording relatively high fatalities. But all this hinges on the fact of immunity. There's yet to be solidarity concerning immunity when one gets infected and how far it goes. It's why I wonder what our health scientists are even doing apart from sharing stats to ncdc undecided.

Damn China for all this tbh cheesy. They had better relocate to that Mars after we're done with their virus(which may be another 2 years grin)

1 Like

Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by omohayek: 9:05pm On Jul 23, 2020
Investnow2017:
SirWarLock,
You are right on all of these points. Very limited testing with a turnaround time of several days is pretty much useless, seeing how a single carrier of the virus can infect dozens of people in the interim. See, for example, this case report:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3654517
Index case B1 transmitted the virus to co-workers in a radius of more than 8 meters during work-shifts on 3 consecutive days
One individual was responsible for infecting more than 20 co-workers in just 3 days, and this isn't even the worst such case by any means. A single superspreader in South Korea was responsible for an outbreak that eventually infected more than 5,200 people, and she only needed to attend a single church service to set off this chain of infections.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-super-spreader-church-south-korea-daegu-shincheonji-jesus-a9582951.html

This virus is extremely contagious, and due to its exponential growth under normal circumstances, any testing strategy that is lacking in aggressiveness will severely underestimate its reach. Unfortunately that is what currently pertains in Nigeria, where we allow ourselves to be lulled into a false sense of security by taking the NCDC figures as anything more than the worthless theatre they represent.

Nigeria doesn't even collect reliable statistics on something as easily observable as births and deaths, or even on crucial matters like property sales and transfers. There's no use expecting anything different when it comes to a fast-moving virus whose carriers tend to be most infectious before they start to show symptoms (assuming they eventually show any symptoms at all).

Europeans have been mostly fortunate (though nowhere nearly as fortunate as East Asians) in having state institutions which are manned by competent people, whatever the limitations of the politicians at the very top, but even here there has been a clear difference in performance between countries that is also clearly related to abilities of the nations' leaders. Germany, which is run by a leader with a PhD in quantum chemistry, acted quickly and decisively on the scientific evidence, and has had the lowest fatality rate of the major European countries. Britain, on the other hand, is currently run by an unprincipled populist buffoon, and has the worst deaths per capita in the western world to show for it. Still, you have to go to the USA to see just how badly an unintelligent, selfish and crooked leader can f*** things up even in the richest and most powerful country in the world. The hard lesson here is that good leadership really matters, and the citizens of countries like Nigeria who lack such are going to pay a terrible price as a result.
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by Investnow2017: 9:27pm On Jul 23, 2020
omohayek:

You are right on all of these points. Very limited testing with a turnaround time of several days is pretty much useless, seeing how a single carrier of the virus can infect dozens of people in the interim. See, for example, this case report:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3654517

One individual was responsible for infecting more than 20 co-workers in just 3 days, and this isn't even the worst such case by any means. A single superspreader in South Korea was responsible for an outbreak that eventually infected more than 5,200 people, and she only needed to attend a single church service to set off this chain of infections.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-super-spreader-church-south-korea-daegu-shincheonji-jesus-a9582951.html

This virus is extremely contagious, and due to its exponential growth under normal circumstances, any testing strategy that is lacking in aggressiveness will severely underestimate its reach. Unfortunately that is what currently pertains in Nigeria, where we allow ourselves to be lulled into a false sense of security by taking the NCDC figures as anything more than the worthless theatre they represent.

Nigeria doesn't even collect reliable statistics on something as easily observable as births and deaths, or even on crucial matters like property sales and transfers. There's no use expecting anything different when it comes to a fast-moving virus whose carriers tend to be most infectious before they start to show symptoms (assuming they eventually show any symptoms at all).

Europeans have been mostly fortunate (though nowhere nearly as fortunate as East Asians) in having state institutions which are manned by competent people, whatever the limitations of the politicians at the very top, but even here there has been a clear difference in performance between countries that is also clearly related to abilities of the nations' leaders. Germany, which is run by a leader with a PhD in quantum chemistry, acted quickly and decisively on the scientific evidence, and has had the lowest fatality rate of the major European countries. Britain, on the other hand, is currently run by an unprincipled populist buffoon, and has the worst deaths per capita in the western world to show for it. Still, you have to go to the USA to see just how badly an unintelligent, selfish and crooked leader can f*** things up even in the richest and most powerful country in the world. The hard lesson here is that good leadership really matters, and the citizens of countries like Nigeria who lack such are g Ioing to pay a terrible price as a result.
As usual, SirWarLock, you have reverted quite brilliantly. I enjoyed your perspectives. Yes, UK failed woefully at the early stage of this crisis, it was shocking to me really. Since they accelerated their testing the records have been looking good. Yes, nations' performance will at the end of the day be a reflection of the quality of their leadership to some degree.
Meanwhile, Brazil's president is still positive. The last photo of him i saw, i noticed some measure of sobriety on his countenance grin Since the pandemic didn't come knocking in advance, some politicians could not draw the line between their political ambition and the battle against contagion.
Thanks once again for your broad outlook.
Re: 543 New COVID-19 Cases, 138 Discharged And 8 Deaths On July 22 - (4068 Tested) by mekuso89(m): 9:46am On Jul 24, 2020
kozmokaz:

Modified:

Well he was 67

sorry for your loss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Doctors Wait As Indian Doctors Gain Approval To Practice In US, Canada / Medical Scam: Drugs Manufactured In 2016 Already In Circulation? / Kunle Odunsi Named New Director Of University Of Chicago Cancer Center

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.